Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Wigan Athletic vs Charlton Athletic: Tuesday 31st October 2023 | KO 7:45PM

Comments

• A Leaburn/Aneke type is important as a hold-up player when defending a lead. Leaburn went off leaving no one in that role and Wigan had that spell of pressure and two goals.

I've not seen anything special about Tedic so far and as for Charlie Kirk...it's all been said in the match thread. Also Scott Fraser has been disappointing since his comeback this season and he probably didn't help the defence for their first goal.

But a good three points and decent performances from all the starting XI (Campbell instead of Camara of course)
  • edited October 2023
    Kirk up there with Amdy Toure as one of my least favourite Charlton players ever, he is an utter disgrace; completely spineless player who is nicking a living.

Fraser I have always liked but we lost the midfield when he appeared and he was at partial fault for both goals.

Tedic came on and Shirtliff said something like, you want to see Tedic running hard to keep the ball in Wigan's half, he ambled around letting a knackered but forever willing Alfie May do all the running and closing down.

Could do with replacing all 3 of them in Jan.

First half was an absolute joy to watch and some of our footy was great, the defence was on the front foot.  Most of the second half was quite even, their subs made a difference.  Louis Watson is a proper diamond of a player, would love to get him perm but he will play for Luton in the Champ next season I imagine.

3 points is all that matters ultimately, and finally a win away - great for the 400 odd fans who travelled in the wet, stormy weather.

I thought Tickle, Humphreys, Asgaard and Goodi(?) All looked good for them.
    Do you mean Amdy Faye. If so i agree. The worst player i have ever seen play for Charlton and that's a hell of a list to top. 
  • 3 points away from home at one of the toughest places to get anything in this league what’s not to like ? Although how a team can be so different in one game is incredible 
  • Great win away from home. Wigan are no mugs and if not for point deductions, would be right up there. We never do it easy but three points away from home. 
  • At the end of the day we got the win & 3 points so got to be happy with that 
    Yessssss  B)
  • Sponsored links:

• Certainly looked like a team that hadn't won away all season in the last 10 mins.
    Before that was a pleasure to watch. Appleton just needs to get a full game of the good stuff from them all.
  • Fumbluff said:
    Kirk up there with Amdy Toure as one of my least favourite Charlton players ever, he is an utter disgrace; completely spineless player who is nicking a living.

Fraser I have always liked but we lost the midfield when he appeared and he was at partial fault for both goals.

Tedic came on and Shirtliff said something like, you want to see Tedic running hard to keep the ball in Wigan's half, he ambled around letting a knackered but forever willing Alfie May do all the running and closing down.

Could do with replacing all 3 of them in Jan.

First half was an absolute joy to watch and some of our footy was great, the defence was on the front foot.  Most of the second half was quite even, their subs made a difference.  Louis Watson is a proper diamond of a player, would love to get him perm but he will play for Luton in the Champ next season I imagine.

3 points is all that matters ultimately, and finally a win away - great for the 400 odd fans who travelled in the wet, stormy weather.

I thought Tickle, Humphreys, Asgaard and Goodi(?) All looked good for them.
    Do you mean Amdy Faye. If so i agree. The worst player i have ever seen play for Charlton and that's a hell of a list to top. 
    I agree Faye was atrocious but come on Lepoint….
    I honestly don't even remember Lepoint but i certainly remember Faye stealing a living and i think he cost us a couple million as well. 
  • edited October 2023
    85 minutes top of the league standard football, 10 minutes of relegation fodder.  I'll take it.
  • Massive win, not a Kirk fan at all but can you blame him for their second? I didn't think so at the time but may have to watch back 
  • Nearly threw it away, but managed to get through it with a 10 minute scare. Luckily their keepers Volley needs some work.

May never stops. Shame about Camara. We can score but we definitely need defenders worth their salt in January. 🧂
  • Sponsored links:

• Didn't expect the win.  Last I looked on the red button it was 3-0, then 3-2 when logged on here.  Must have been worrying if watching live.
  • Good result that's the main thing. I'd get rid of Fraser in Jan - never rated him
  • edited October 2023
    Credit where it's due, after 2 poor performances that was a great first half and a really good second half up until we conceded. The players stepped up a level, stopped endlessly passing across the back and pressed hard in the Wigan half, denying then space and playing on the front foot passing quickly and decisively to feet.

Great to see the teamwork and energy on display as well as the improvements across the field, centre backs getting to the ball first, making blocks, Dobbo getting his passing back after a shocker on Saturday and TWatson who's not had a great start for us doing well on the wrong side.

Yes we almost threw it away and Kirk and Fraser were the wrong subs to be bringing on but let's enjoy the win and concentrate on attaining the levels we reached in the first half from now on.
  • edited October 2023
    I reckon a vets team would give our midfield a run for its money when it's got Fraser and Kirk in it.
    Asiimwe is far from the finished article but will continue to cost us if he continues to play for these long spells.
    Look so much better with L Watson in the side..
    Dobson and CBT back to near there best.
    Leaburn did well up top.
  • edited October 2023
    Just like the England Rugby team against SA in the Semi final: we got worse after the subs came on BUT at least Cafc still won !!!

Some great football first half and good game management for 82 odd minutes but a combo of Wigan good passing and a collective tiredness hit cafc as 3 players who had cracking games in Corey, Miles and Louie going off and we started to panic.

It's a misnomer to say Leaburn is a lone striker. Many times when we are attacking May is more advanced in the box than Leaburn. The first goal clearly showed that.
    Leaburn central with Campbell and CBT doing damage out wide won Cafc the game tonight with Alfie May doing what he does best scoring goals. Both TC and Corey have the ability to float in from wide positions and get there shots on target.
    I feel sorry for Camará but it ended up being serendipitous with Campbell coming on early and giving us width on both sides with CBT and playing so well.

A much needed win on the road but playing 100 minute football matches remained a major issue for most of our players. Amongst the midfielders and attackers only May and Dobson have the fitness to play these extended matches and even Alfie and George were wilting at the end.
  • Have been out all night and was not expecting to come back to this result. A welcome 1st away win of the season and disappointed it was a game I couldn’t make. Look forward to seeing our goals and glad my prediction was so wrong. 
  • Leuth said:
    Someone watched that and gave Hector 5.5 on Player Marks. I don't know any more 

the game is 90 minutes long and he switches off too much. we conceded two goals, and he was (admittedly one of a few!) at fault for the second. he was solid for 80 minutes and better than he has been recently, but i think there's a lot of room for improvement.

with a mark of 9 out of 10, presumably you think that's up there with the finest centre back performances we'll witness this season? seems a more outlandish judgment than mine (and a bit worrying if true), but it's all about opinions isn't it!