Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Wigan Athletic vs Charlton Athletic: Tuesday 31st October 2023 | KO 7:45PM

Comments

• Fumbluff said:
    Kirk up there with Amdy Toure as one of my least favourite Charlton players ever, he is an utter disgrace; completely spineless player who is nicking a living.

Fraser I have always liked but we lost the midfield when he appeared and he was at partial fault for both goals.

Tedic came on and Shirtliff said something like, you want to see Tedic running hard to keep the ball in Wigan's half, he ambled around letting a knackered but forever willing Alfie May do all the running and closing down.

Could do with replacing all 3 of them in Jan.

First half was an absolute joy to watch and some of our footy was great, the defence was on the front foot.  Most of the second half was quite even, their subs made a difference.  Louis Watson is a proper diamond of a player, would love to get him perm but he will play for Luton in the Champ next season I imagine.

3 points is all that matters ultimately, and finally a win away - great for the 400 odd fans who travelled in the wet, stormy weather.

I thought Tickle, Humphreys, Asgaard and Goodi(?) All looked good for them.
    Do you mean Amdy Faye. If so i agree. The worst player i have ever seen play for Charlton and that's a hell of a list to top. 
    I agree Faye was atrocious but come on Lepoint….
    Faye wasn't even the worst player in that team, I give you Djimi Traore  :o

In fact i'm sure Faye played a few games at centre back & wasn't too bad but overall another waste of money. What was it £4.5 million for Faye & Traore ?
    Think he had one match away from home where played well as a makeshift centre back but otherwise was rubbish and yes Traore was shocking from the start even getting a red on his debut - to think he got a champions league medal too beggars belief!
  • Great night + great performance, we are frightening going forward at times.

Well done to the fans who were good tonight. 

3 points in the bag and back home now. 
  • Enjoyed that
    COYR
  • edited October 2023
    Much better set up (only three all out attacking players) and a much better attitude and work rate. 
    Louie Watson, Dobson and Camara looked like a good combo. Of course Camara would get injured. 
    Great win, despite the late scare. Funny old game, isn’t it. 
  • Fumbluff said:
    Kirk up there with Amdy Toure as one of my least favourite Charlton players ever, he is an utter disgrace; completely spineless player who is nicking a living.

Fraser I have always liked but we lost the midfield when he appeared and he was at partial fault for both goals.

Tedic came on and Shirtliff said something like, you want to see Tedic running hard to keep the ball in Wigan's half, he ambled around letting a knackered but forever willing Alfie May do all the running and closing down.

Could do with replacing all 3 of them in Jan.

First half was an absolute joy to watch and some of our footy was great, the defence was on the front foot.  Most of the second half was quite even, their subs made a difference.  Louis Watson is a proper diamond of a player, would love to get him perm but he will play for Luton in the Champ next season I imagine.

3 points is all that matters ultimately, and finally a win away - great for the 400 odd fans who travelled in the wet, stormy weather.

I thought Tickle, Humphreys, Asgaard and Goodi(?) All looked good for them.
    Do you mean Amdy Faye. If so i agree. The worst player i have ever seen play for Charlton and that's a hell of a list to top. 
    I agree Faye was atrocious but come on Lepoint….
    Faye wasn't even the worst player in that team, I give you Djimi Traore  :o

In fact i'm sure Faye played a few games at centre back & wasn't too bad but overall another waste of money. What was it £4.5 million for Faye & Traore ?
    'Only' £3m I think, but still, £3m was about £4.5m too much.
  • Sponsored links:

• SDAddick said:
    Yes, Kirk was non existent when he came on, but before the pile on gets out of control watch Fraser's attempt to stop the first goal. Both as bad as each other. Half fit Fraser is no good to us as he isn't the most mobile. We need to find a way of getting a strong 90 mins out of our full backs as well. Watson can't seem to do more than 70mins and Asimwe blows up on 80.

Going to take the positives and say 3-2 flattered Wigan and we were very good for 70-80 mins. If one of the two chances Campbell had before they pulled one back goes in it could have been 5/6 nil.

I also think the fact that Dobson looked livid at the end is a good thing. He was marching round the pitch muttering to himself and shaking his head. Recognises how poor that last 10mins was.
    Yes, all good spots. I called it out on the match thread, but Fraser rushing the ball when Hector is standing him up for the first goal was awful, and left a man free. Fraser clearly went out there with a point to prove tonight, and he really put himself about and tried to get stuck in. And that's fine in the middle of the pitch, I feel like we needed to see a bit more from him after the last couple of games. But you need to understand when to use that, and also that that's not really your game. Hopefully this will be as sobering for him as the last couple of matches because he is still very good on the ball. And he'll only get fitter as time goes on.

It's an excellent point about the fullbacks and one I wanted to bring up: we can't keep getting 70-80 minutes out of them. TW was much better tonight, and I get he didn't have a pre-season, but he must be close to 90 minutes fit by now. He's had a couple of international breaks and started all bar one game since coming into the side. He got forward a lot more tonight but he's not the most "up and back" fullback either, so hopefully he's just taking some time getting up to match fitness.

As for Asiimwe, I wasn't convinced for most of pre season that he was ready to go without a loan. After seeing a fair amount of him, I get why we kept him round, even if making him first choice for a few weeks was a bad idea. He has all the physical and technical abilities you hope from a modern 18 year old fullback. But his positioning still needs a lot of work, and his decision making with the ball is still not great. It's clear he's been able to get away with a lot in youth football because of his athleticism. Kyle Walker had that problem for years, really until he joined City.  I don't think Asiimwe has that kind of upside, but he's going to be very good if he continues to grow. The question at some point this season will be: does he need to go on loan to play regularly, or does he progress enough to be in our first team? I don't think we'll have too hard of a time getting League Two loan offers for him if we need to loan him out. And yeah, his inability to play a solid 90 remains somewhat elusive to me. 

Also, want to say, gutted for Camara. I've not seen the post match press conference but I have to imagine he did his ACL or something. It was heartbreaking watching him go off. He is a very talented player, and I really hope we get to see some of it.

I'm really proud of how balanced the comments are tonight. We battered them for 80 minutes. Everything bar the one chance that went onto the top of the goal was in front of us and we never looked troubled. We can talk about bringing Tedic and Kirk on, but if you can't bring on subs to get them minutes when you're 3-0 up with 15 to go, when can you? I don't think it was just on those two, I think a lot of it was on Asiimwe and May tiring, and then some lapses in concentration. 

I asked who doubted signing May in the match thread, and full disclosure, it was kind of me. Not that I doubted him, I've always been impressed by him. It's that I didn't know how he fits into a team with Leaburn and CBT, and to an extent TC. And...I still kind of don't. But I thought we'd be talking about dropping him at some point because he can't play up front on his own, and how silly do I look? He plays that 10 role so well, his work rate is excellent, and he's joint top scorer in the league. I do think we're going to need to play a midfield three at times, even if Camara is out for a while, and when that happens I suspect he'll be tried on the right again. But for now I think you put him in the 10, put Miles up front, and TC and CBT wide and you let them go.

CBT has improved a lot this year. He's always had stretches like this, but he looks unplayable at times. That turn for the goal was mustard. Also shout out to Louie Watson, who works hard and who does so well at finding space and breaking teams down. He still needs to work on some things in the defensive part of his game, but he looks like an excellent addition. 

Lastly, TC was excellent and his work rate was second to none. There were times at the end where he was running past Asiimwe to get back, and then running past him to get forward. He doesn't always have to score to make an impact, and when you can get him making runs off the ball, he can be so dangerous because he's so clever with his movement. When he plays on the right he's not going to be a CBT type where he pulls out wide and tried to isolate his fullback. He needs to come inside and help link up play more. But he's finally looking more comfortable on the right and when he's in form he's very good. 

Apples said it was hamstring after the game
  • Leuth said:
    Someone watched that and gave Hector 5.5 on Player Marks. I don't know any more 

the game is 90 minutes long and he switches off too much. we conceded two goals, and he was (admittedly one of a few!) at fault for the second. he was solid for 80 minutes and better than he has been recently, but i think there's a lot of room for improvement.

with a mark of 9 out of 10, presumably you think that's up there with the finest centre back performances we'll witness this season? seems a more outlandish judgment than mine (and a bit worrying if true), but it's all about opinions isn't it!
    I'm saying that's exactly what it was, yes. For the first half and much of the second, he was almost freakishly great. He also held us together for the last 6 or 7 minutes
  • An away win against the odds. 
    We are a good attacking, but have been inept in defence at times, which needs to be addressed in January.
    We were so comfortable first half and that must have been the longest we have played well for in a game all season before the defence/midfield let us down. The players coming on is who I am talking about.
    Kirk is worse than a waste of space. He does not have the desire and the bravery to play the game. You have to be prepared to put your body on the line. In case he is reading this and doesn’t understand, you have to be prepared to get very hurt. The ball/player shall not pass. If you cannot do this you need to retire.

• Only a hamstring for Camara. I say only - as that’s a bit of a how long is a piece of string statement - but I would suggest that is far less serious than a recurrence of the foot or knee injury for example.
  • I hope Dobson at the end of the game muttering to himself was him being upset with the last few minutes rather than thinking I can’t wait to get away from this team 
  • Excellent for 83 minutes, but the final subs really affected us. I was baffled why Kirk and Tedic came on instead of one of them and Ness, as we ended up being very light in midfield after L Watson came off. Ness would have done a better job in protecting the defence.

What the team and bench selection does show is how little Appleton thinks of 3 of our loan signings, with Tedic having a token cameo, while Chem and Abankwah didn't even make the 18.
  • Massive win, not a Kirk fan at all but can you blame him for their second? I didn't think so at the time but may have to watch back 
    I would invite you to watch it back.

https://x.com/CentralWigan/status/1719469672452555228?s=20

He's got to read the game better there. Obviously stop him taking the shot.
    Not great, but Fraser as at fault
  • I think there may be a pattern emerging, involving Louie Watson...
  • Was on a plane to Singapore, so pleasantly surprised at winning 3-2. Fully expected a third defeat in a week. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Massive win, not a Kirk fan at all but can you blame him for their second? I didn't think so at the time but may have to watch back 
    I would invite you to watch it back.

https://x.com/CentralWigan/status/1719469672452555228?s=20

He's got to read the game better there. Obviously stop him taking the shot.
    He seems half asleep. Certainly not on his toes or expecting the ball to come across the edge of the box. Awful play for someone who had only been on a few minutes.
  • Leuth said:
    And that is why for the FA Cup on Sunday we can’t field a weak team. 
    We dominated Wigan for 84 minutes at theirs then brought Kirk on 
    I thought it was ‘then we brought Terrel Thomas on’ personally!
  • cafc_se7 said:
    Leuth said:
    We dominated Wigan for 84 minutes at theirs then brought Kirk on 
    I thought it was ‘then we brought Terrel Thomas on’ personally!
    I’m not sure it’s the left back you should be worrying about when both the goals came from our right hand side..!
  • A brilliant away performance. Avoid a mauling at Portsmouth and we can get play offs. Look at our fixture list up to Christmas, full of Cheltenham's and port vales. 
    In January we will buy 1 or 2 defenders and we won't have to score 3 goals a game to win. 
    Charlie Kirk just doesn't believe in himself, ever since he lost his dad after he joined from Crewe, he has been a shell of his former self. I hope he regains his spark, back in league two like all our other players from last season, and learns to tackle. Bruv stick a flipping leg out as the ball runs across you, you absolute waste of space, I mean you can't even put a flipping tackle in, useless. Out of all the Ross I watched last year, you are the worst you wally. Like how many loans has he had, always back here doing nothing. Corey has learnt to cross a ball and shoot on target, what have you learnt, nothing. You've learnt nothing Charlie.
  • Leuth said:
    We dominated Wigan at theirs then brought Fraser and Kirk on