Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Wigan Athletic vs Charlton Athletic: Tuesday 31st October 2023 | KO 7:45PM

Comments

• Options
    Managed to miss the first 35 mins due to near gridlock locally .
    Brilliant result but the patheticness of Kirk and Fraser (no way is he Scottish , he’s weaker than me )  gave Wigan some hope
    Alfie May and Dobbo need to share some of their passion and desire with the limp lettuce leaves .
    Louie Watson , such a positive influence going forward and looking to make things happen rather than the easier simple stuff , like him a lot .
    if we can get anything at Pompey I’ll begin to believe but this division is pony enough for us to have a sniff of the play offs even when we lose
    Play offs will satisfy most but I’m only interested in promotion and not participating against u21 clubs in the pizza trophy 
    Well done the 415, I think I heard, who made it up there , no new ground agenda there 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    In recent weeks our bench has looked strong, that didn't seem to be the case last night. Both Fraser and Kirk did not know how to defend and it showed. It's a great result nonetheless and the first half showed the potential of a young team, the back four played well, and Dobson and Watson ran the midfield. Campbell and Blackett Taylor were a threat and Campbell actually did some defending in the last ten minutes. Leaburn got through a shift and May was outstanding. Re-inforcements needed in January, three players needed, a couple of horrible barstards wouldn't do any harm. 
  • Options
    Managed to fall asleep and miss the last 30 minutes. Woke up in the post match chat and thought I was in a parallel universe. At least I avoided an element of bum twitching. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Only 3 teams have scored more than us in the league, and we have a better goal difference than every team below us, however only 5 teams have conceded more and 3 of them are the bottom 3 in the table. 
    Was the story of last season as well.

Was looking at where we were last season at this point. We had played 17 scored 27 and conceded 23. So very close to where we are at now.

Frustrating that we just can’t seem to solid/consistent at that back, and until we can we won’t be going up. At least Appleton has come out and spoke about why he thinks we have this issue.

As an aside. It’s funny that all through last season there was some big noise about ‘where are the goals coming from’ and not having enough strikers etc. Yet as you can see goal wise it was pretty much the same, but no one seems to be mentioning it this year. 
  • Options
    Kirk why?
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    And that is why for the FA Cup on Sunday we can’t field a weak team. 
    Cray Valley Paper Mills play two tiers below Welling Utd. 
    And mistakes happen. It’s the FA Cup take it seriously. We don’t need to rest anyone. 

A cricket score win would be good for morale. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    We dominated Wigan for 84 minutes at theirs then brought Kirk on 
    I don't think Fraser gets away with it either, you can see why Bolton got through our five man midfield with Camara and Fraser sitting in there. 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Leuth said:
    We dominated Wigan for 84 minutes at theirs then brought Kirk on 
    I don't think Fraser gets away with it either, you can see why Bolton got through our five man midfield with Camara and Fraser sitting in there. 
    Absolutely spot on. Fraser is pedestrian  and dissappear during a game. Also is far too lightweight. 
  • Options
    Why is it that players cannot play 90 minutes these days.As soon as the subs started we looked very likely to balls this up.Unless there was injury niggles involved,there was no reason to take off,Leaburn,Watson and Taylor,they could have a rest this weekend.Taylor and Leaburn kept their defenders on their toes,and Watson was having plenty of the ball.Having Kirk in the squad,let alone giving him playing time at a critical stage frankly mystifies me,the guy has no interest in being here and it shows.Better by Hectpr tonight,although he cant resist the odd bit of showboating which has done us in the past.
  • Options
    I think any of us would have been incredibly impressed with 3 points before this game, hopefully lessons will be learned on the collapse but delighted with the win 
  • Options
    I thought last nights performance summed us up pretty well as to what we are as a team. 
    When Appleton gets the team selection correct we have goals in this group of players. 
    Unfortunately at the back we are always likely to concede. 
    Bring in a couple of decent defender's in January and we might just have  a decent season. 
    Completely agree. CBT, May, Leaburn, Dobson and Louie Watson look the part imo, and Aneke and Camara have the talent, but we can’t rely on either of them fitness wise. After that, the remaining players either aren’t good enough, or lack the consistency to support a promotion push. I would say if we don’t add in Jan, then we’ll have some decent performances and wins like last night, but we’ll also have a fair few Bolton’s. The one thing I hope is that Appleton has worked out that the likes of Fraser aren’t good enough and he should be confined to the Papa Johns, cup games and the odd 5 mins at the end of games. We of course, still need work on the defence as well
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    I thought last nights performance summed us up pretty well as to what we are as a team. 
    When Appleton gets the team selection correct we have goals in this group of players. 
    Unfortunately at the back we are always likely to concede. 
    Bring in a couple of decent defender's in January and we might just have  a decent season. 
    This is bang on - if we don’t get silly with the team set up we can get to January in touching distance - we then need a youds and mills type combo to come in and stiffen things up - apples has made some blunders the last 3 games including yesterdays subs - my dad had to leave the room once the second went in - we were sitting ducks after them subs 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Redrobo said:
    An away win against the odds. 
    We are a good attacking, but have been inept in defence at times, which needs to be addressed in January.
    We were so comfortable first half and that must have been the longest we have played well for in a game all season before the defence/midfield let us down.
    I’m like a stuck record, so apologies, but…
    Yes, defensive mistakes, have let us down this season, we are slightly lacking across the back four in terms of quality, but one of the reasons we concede soft goals is our set up. We’ve been playing with far too many players who don’t contribute defensively at all. It leaves our back four exposed. 
    Just look at the lineups for most of the matches this season and you’ll see there’s only a few players with a defensive role and/or mindset. At Lincoln we had just five, and the rest contributed naff all defensively. 
    Compare that with top Premier League sides. Virtually all of their players will defend as if their lives depend on it when out of possession. Man City, Arsenal and the other top teams take that as a given.
    Yesterday was one of the first matches where we only had three players who don’t do much defending, And even they bust a gut to get back and defend, clearly something the must have been working on. 
    In the second half Miles Leaburn rushed back to block their left winger, when he broke in to the penalty area after beating three men. Alfie has the energy to stop their players having time on the ball. CBT was probably the least defensive player on the pitch for us, but even then he’ll occupy a couple of their players as his pace provides such a threat on the break. 
    We defended as a team yesterday for arguably the first time this season, and it might have also been the first time we’ve set up with seven players who are good defensively. I was worried when Camara went off, but was happy when MA kept Fraser on the bench - Tyreece had bags of energy and did his bit defensively.
    Kirk on the other hand shows exactly how not to play when you’re defending a lead. I hope he’s made to watch their second goal on a loop. 

v. Lincoln:
    Watson Hector Jones Thomas
    Dobson
    Tupac Fraser May CBT Leaburn

v. Wigan:
    Asiimwe Hector Jones Thomas T Watson
    Dobson L Watson Camara
    May CBT Leaburn

I’d use the Wigan lineup, tactics and mindset as a template going forward, especially away from home, but also against the better sides at The Valley. 
  • Options
    first half absolute class

weathered the storm we knew would come in the second for the first 20 mins and I thought that was it

then the subs came on and we (nearly) fell apart

we don't do things easy
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Watson and Dobson have to start games together. I never really understood the rush to get Fraser and Camara back in. May superb and growing to like him in that role behind Leaburn.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Only 3 teams have scored more than us in the league, and we have a better goal difference than every team below us, however only 5 teams have conceded more and 3 of them are the bottom 3 in the table. 
    Was the story of last season as well.

Was looking at where we were last season at this point. We had played 17 scored 27 and conceded 23. So very close to where we are at now.

Frustrating that we just can’t seem to solid/consistent at that back, and until we can we won’t be going up. At least Appleton has come out and spoke about why he thinks we have this issue.

As an aside. It’s funny that all through last season there was some big noise about ‘where are the goals coming from’ and not having enough strikers etc. Yet as you can see goal wise it was pretty much the same, but no one seems to be mentioning it this year. 
    Think we need a: Where are the clean sheets coming from? Thread 
  • Options
    What a good performance!! 

Didnt expect much and would have taken a draw before this. 

Turned it on just as we scored so that was a bonus! Didnt see Camara go off but feel bad for him, I rate him and think he would be a asset!

Louis Watson needs to be starting as much as possible. He is an extremely tidy player and is only getting better. Alfie May is a talisman and 11 goals so far is a great return. 

Thought this was Hectors and Jones best games by far. 

Not convinced by Fraser and dont think he suits MAs system so wouldn't be surprised to see him gone in Jan.

Overall, great result and I genuinely think with the selling/buying of the right players, we could become more consistent and get into the play offs end of season. 
  • Options
    what we need in Jan are 2/3 horrible experienced old pro's, a couple of nasty bastards (especially at the back)
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Yes, Kirk was non existent when he came on, but before the pile on gets out of control watch Fraser's attempt to stop the first goal. Both as bad as each other. Half fit Fraser is no good to us as he isn't the most mobile. We need to find a way of getting a strong 90 mins out of our full backs as well. Watson can't seem to do more than 70mins and Asimwe blows up on 80.

Going to take the positives and say 3-2 flattered Wigan and we were very good for 70-80 mins. If one of the two chances Campbell had before they pulled one back goes in it could have been 5/6 nil.

I also think the fact that Dobson looked livid at the end is a good thing. He was marching round the pitch muttering to himself and shaking his head. Recognises how poor that last 10mins was.
    Asimwe has just been fast tracked from youth football to men's, without a loan or any priming. I completely understand him losing focus after 70/80 minutes. It's evident why.
    I thought he had a good game personally. 
    I like him, and rate him now and for future but he's got to watch that 2nd half and think how he could have stopped the winger doing whatever he wants. its all experience
  • Options
    what we need in Jan are 2/3 horrible experienced old pro's, a couple of nasty bastards (especially at the back)
    They're usually too nasty to move Towns in January!
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    mendonca said:
    Yes, Kirk was non existent when he came on, but before the pile on gets out of control watch Fraser's attempt to stop the first goal. Both as bad as each other. Half fit Fraser is no good to us as he isn't the most mobile. We need to find a way of getting a strong 90 mins out of our full backs as well. Watson can't seem to do more than 70mins and Asimwe blows up on 80.

Going to take the positives and say 3-2 flattered Wigan and we were very good for 70-80 mins. If one of the two chances Campbell had before they pulled one back goes in it could have been 5/6 nil.

I also think the fact that Dobson looked livid at the end is a good thing. He was marching round the pitch muttering to himself and shaking his head. Recognises how poor that last 10mins was.
    Asimwe has just been fast tracked from youth football to men's, without a loan or any priming. I completely understand him losing focus after 70/80 minutes. It's evident why.
    I thought he had a good game personally. 
    I like him, and rate him now and for future but he's got to watch that 2nd half and think how he could have stopped the winger doing whatever he wants. its all experience
    I don’t know how many on here read his long interview recently about his development at Charlton since an 8 year old? alongside Anderson. Karoy’s his best mate whom he rates highly and aspired to be as good as. He was a winger and converted to full back by one of our youth coaches as he matured. So defending is an art he’s had to learn and it shows he’s still learning. When he gets the balance right he’ll be some player in the Billy Bonds mould who I’ve likened him to previously.
  • Options
    I’ve  been critical of Kirk from practically day 1 but he still has a few supporters still willing to give him a chance . Wigans second goal should remove the last of them. 
    He  offers nothing , a total liability.