Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Wigan Athletic vs Charlton Athletic: Tuesday 31st October 2023 | KO 7:45PM

edited October 2023 in General Charlton
Looking to reverse our recent slide, Charlton headed north to take on an in-form Wigan. From the off the Addicks harried and rushed Wigan, winning every second ball and pushing forward relentlessly. The first half was a masterclass, seemingly out of no where. Personally, I liked the balance of the team, with T Watson at left back and Assimwe on the right. L Watson and Dobson in the centre, with Camara and May on the right and Leaburn through the middle. On ten minutes, Camara pulled up after a tangle and looked to be in quite some pain. He was brought off and replaced by Tyreece Campbell, which seemed to only strengthen our forays down the right. Some twenty minutes on the clock one of those attacks down the right resulted in a L Watson cross that beautifully picked out Alfie Mayfor a point-blank-header, that was initially saved, but then bundled in. Only some ten minutes later, May struck again with a brilliant solo effort, eighteen yards out, left foot low and hard across the keeper and into the far corner. And some ten minutes after that, Leaburn flicked the ball brilliantly into CBT’s path to blast past the keeper and make it three nill. Charlton’s passing, movement, and aggressive pressing left Wigan shell-shocked.

Conversely, Charlton started the second half flatfooted and breathless—but mostly complacent—allowing Wigan to gain a foothold without really threatening. They did have their moments, striking the crossbar and coming close, but up until the 84th minute, it just didn’t look like it would be there night. However, it was in the final ten minutes, Charlton allowed Wigan to waltz through and score, not once but twice. To concede the first goal, a fine individual effort, was disappointing because it meant we failed to keep that elusive clean sheet—and that should have been motivation enough. To concede a second was downright criminal! 

Over the 90 minutes Charlton deserved their three points, the first away victory of the season, perhaps on the strength of the first half performance alone. But they made it unnecessarily hard for themselves by walking through the second half and giving in to complacency.

Wigan 2 Charlton 3

Over to you.

Comments

• Options
    Jeez.
  • Options
    A must win was a win.
    So what it was nervy? Wigan didn't want to give up the halloween ghost at home.
    Alfie May is better than the hype, is he averaging a goal per game?
  • Options
    Subs done us in. The squad has depth in terms of bodies but is weak In terms of quality. Hope Camaras injury isn’t as bad as it seemed. Only Charlton could be 3-0 up with 6 to go and give their fans so much fear
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dobson, May, Hector (for 80 minutes), Watson... some great performances in there tonight. And our 3rd goal was just so damn good.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    3 points away at Wigan, with quite a few expecting a loss.

Superb first half with goals to match. 

As for the ending...Some people just don't like excitement!  B)

• Options
    @Manic_mania, I agree with that, but even so, we started playing for time, flat-footed and walking into it immediately in the first half. All the aggression was gone, but for moments like TC hitting the post. Wigan were allowed time on the ball. They weren’t at it today, but still managed to get two back out of nowhere because we allowed them too.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    And that is why for the FA Cup on Sunday we can’t field a weak team. 
    We dominated Wigan for 84 minutes at theirs then brought Kirk on 
    That’s my point. Don’t assume the lesser players are enough. 
  • Options
    I agree but you know we will sadly. 
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    @Manic_mania, I agree with that, but even so, we started playing for time, flat-footed and walking into it immediately in the first half. All the aggression was gone, but for moments like TC hitting the post. Wigan were allowed time on the ball. They weren’t at it today, but still managed to get two back out of nowhere because we allowed them too.
    at 3-0 letting them have time on the ball was no issue for 35 minutes of that half- the problem was my second point about the subs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not consistent enough. 
    Full stop.
    Good win and regardless, Wigan is still a hard place to gain three points.
  • Options
    I see we tried to copy Blackpool when they brought on Albie Morgan we brought on Kirk instead.

Forgetting the last 10 mins or so we were by far the better team and managed the game really well in second half. Felt sorry for Camera, no one likes to see that.

Role on Sunday look forward to seeing old Charlie boy smash it.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    We dominated Wigan for 84 minutes at theirs then brought Kirk on 
    That’s my point. Don’t assume the lesser players are enough. 

This is so silly. We will beat them comfortably as long as we don't field the U18s in it's entirety. Even then I'd back us to win.
  • Options
    Possibly an ideal win - confidence to take from 1st half but feet kept firmly on ground after the 2nd.
  • Options
    this may be a stupid question... but does a team really train for being 3-0 up away from home at half time? I know managers are expected to plan for every eventuality but it can't come up very often can it?