Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Wigan Athletic vs Charlton Athletic: Tuesday 31st October 2023 | KO 7:45PM

12345679»

Comments

• Options

I find it so annoying that fans aren't allowed to make honest comments about a player's failings without it being called scapegoating.

Presumably, some feel we must praise every player, every game without exception, regardless of how they are performing.
    Agree. What's also really annoying is how many people don't understand the meaning of the word scapegoat.  
    I know exactly what scapegoat means mate and so did you when I put into the context of what I was talking about?

Not quite sure how we can be talking about Fraser in so much depth on here when we had a brilliant away win and he played 20 mins of it!
    I haven't seen your comment, nor have I quoted it so not sure why you assume I'm talking about you.. It's a general theme on here, criticism = scapegoating, but they are not the same thing.
    Because I used that word in the context that were all referring to and talking about...?

General theme on here, relentless criticism = trying to find a negative on everything

Like I say, we won away from home, really good performance and people still talk about some players, Fraser in this example, who hardly did anything in 20 mins to even warrant a comment. So, in a football context, a "scapegoat" - a reason to have a moan. 
    I agree Fraser did hardly anything when he came on. Plus if you take another look you'll see that he had 2 opportunities to prevent Wigan's 2nd goal. First he missed the ball, then he didn't do enough to block the shot.

We were of course excellent until the late subs were made, although Wigan set up as we would like every game. Stood off us and let us play, with little tough tackling. 
    Fraser is shite mate and shouldn't be anywhere near that starting 11 and at fault for there 2nd goal, not the team....happy??

I saw there 2nd goal with my own eyes, I was at the game watching it myself.

Learnt a lot this week in my short time posting on Charlton Life :) 
    Bit of spot light syndrome here fella, from what I read you've taken a generic post to be aimed at you when I think the poster was generally speaking.

There are always going to be stubborn people on message boards and those whose opinions differ. I said with 100% confidence recently that we have the worst centre backs in the league and that I'd keep Fraser over Dobson long term (haha). Did I get some feedback yeah, but that's just how it goes. Just like criticising players, there may be a poster who will challenge it, there will also be people who challenge people positing positively about the same players 

I mean,  I'm about to go have it out with Bedaddick because he thinks the latest planet of the apes films aren't great.

There is nothing to learn on here mate, there's reasonable groups, stubborn groups, friendly groups, as long as you don't make a ridiculous amount of comments you won't be targeted (not that I agree with that). 

Keep sharing your views and if people don't agree it is what it is, that's the nature of forums. It would be very boring if we all thought alike. 

Spotlight syndrome?? Mate what are you going on about?

I commented on a situation, just like everyone else has regarding a player and got some stick for using the word scapegoat. Then someone was trying to explain to me why he thought I was wrong and Fraser was at fault? All the while having someone try to tell me that some people don't actually know what scapegoat means?

And yet I am going for the spotlight??

I'm doing no different to what anyone else is doing here.

Yes as in, you are making it worse than it seems and focused. 

Just on a few of your last comments; 'I got flagged up', 'nice to see a lot of positivity as usual from some on here', 'learnt a lot this week in my short time posting on Charlton Life', 'yes I am learning thick and fast' 'I've been shot down'

Just at a quick ganders on your recent posts. You're making out things to be more drastic than they are and your posts on here are coming across like a 'it's me against them' mindset. Hence why I said a bit of spotlight syndrome, as in your posts probably aren't being as bashed as harshly as you believe.

Every forum on the net will typically have reasonable debate, everytime you get into one, it isn't going to do much good chucking a bit of afters in, I.e. 'I am learning thick and fast'

So no I don't mean you are going for the spotlight, that would be bizarre, I mean it as in things aren't as bad as you are making out. Just try and enjoy the engagement and remember, words spoken on here would not translate as well as face to face communication, sort of like in this instance. :) 
    Totally depends on which side of the fence you’re sitting on I guess mate.

Anyway, it’s technically Friday night, I’m cracking open a beer, enjoy the game Sunday 👍🏼
  • Options
    Did anyone else at the game notice May watching his first goal back on the in-stadium replay screen? Thought it was quite funny.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

I find it so annoying that fans aren't allowed to make honest comments about a player's failings without it being called scapegoating.

Presumably, some feel we must praise every player, every game without exception, regardless of how they are performing.
    Agree. What's also really annoying is how many people don't understand the meaning of the word scapegoat.  
    I know exactly what scapegoat means mate and so did you when I put into the context of what I was talking about?

Not quite sure how we can be talking about Fraser in so much depth on here when we had a brilliant away win and he played 20 mins of it!
    I haven't seen your comment, nor have I quoted it so not sure why you assume I'm talking about you.. It's a general theme on here, criticism = scapegoating, but they are not the same thing.
    Because I used that word in the context that were all referring to and talking about...?

General theme on here, relentless criticism = trying to find a negative on everything

Like I say, we won away from home, really good performance and people still talk about some players, Fraser in this example, who hardly did anything in 20 mins to even warrant a comment. So, in a football context, a "scapegoat" - a reason to have a moan. 
    I agree Fraser did hardly anything when he came on. Plus if you take another look you'll see that he had 2 opportunities to prevent Wigan's 2nd goal. First he missed the ball, then he didn't do enough to block the shot.

We were of course excellent until the late subs were made, although Wigan set up as we would like every game. Stood off us and let us play, with little tough tackling. 
    Fraser is shite mate and shouldn't be anywhere near that starting 11 and at fault for there 2nd goal, not the team....happy??

Bit of spot light syndrome here fella, from what I read you've taken a generic post to be aimed at you when I think the poster was generally speaking.

There are always going to be stubborn people on message boards and those whose opinions differ. I said with 100% confidence recently that we have the worst centre backs in the league and that I'd keep Fraser over Dobson long term (haha). Did I get some feedback yeah, but that's just how it goes. Just like criticising players, there may be a poster who will challenge it, there will also be people who challenge people positing positively about the same players 

I mean,  I'm about to go have it out with Bedaddick because he thinks the latest planet of the apes films aren't great.

There is nothing to learn on here mate, there's reasonable groups, stubborn groups, friendly groups, as long as you don't make a ridiculous amount of comments you won't be targeted (not that I agree with that). 

Keep sharing your views and if people don't agree it is what it is, that's the nature of forums. It would be very boring if we all thought alike. 

I commented on a situation, just like everyone else has regarding a player and got some stick for using the word scapegoat. Then someone was trying to explain to me why he thought I was wrong and Fraser was at fault? All the while having someone try to tell me that some people don't actually know what scapegoat means?

Just on a few of your last comments; 'I got flagged up', 'nice to see a lot of positivity as usual from some on here', 'learnt a lot this week in my short time posting on Charlton Life', 'yes I am learning thick and fast' 'I've been shot down'

Just at a quick ganders on your recent posts. You're making out things to be more drastic than they are and your posts on here are coming across like a 'it's me against them' mindset. Hence why I said a bit of spotlight syndrome, as in your posts probably aren't being as bashed as harshly as you believe.

Every forum on the net will typically have reasonable debate, everytime you get into one, it isn't going to do much good chucking a bit of afters in, I.e. 'I am learning thick and fast'

So no I don't mean you are going for the spotlight, that would be bizarre, I mean it as in things aren't as bad as you are making out. Just try and enjoy the engagement and remember, words spoken on here would not translate as well as face to face communication, sort of like in this instance. :) 

Anyway, it’s technically Friday night, I’m cracking open a beer, enjoy the game Sunday 👍🏼
    I'm going to pick you up on your unnecessary use of the word "technically" 😉

Edit- enjoy the beer 👍
  • Options

Of course, we are all Charlton when it's said and done.

I won't be there unfortunately because of work and not being allowed to take the day off. Thanks though, I'll try and keep an eye, 

Enjoy the beer and your weekend fella