Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Wigan Athletic vs Charlton Athletic: Tuesday 31st October 2023 | KO 7:45PM

Comments

• I thought last nights performance summed us up pretty well as to what we are as a team. 
    When Appleton gets the team selection correct we have goals in this group of players. 
    Unfortunately at the back we are always likely to concede. 
    Bring in a couple of decent defender's in January and we might just have  a decent season. 
    This. In almost every match you see both of what makes us a good side and what makes us a mid table side. Best case scenario is we can stay within distance of play offs and have a good window to turn these close matches into Charlton wins. 

Didn’t follow the game, except from the score but shame to lose Camera to injury. Imagine Mcgrandles will be back in the squad soon for a 6 week audition before the window reopens.
  • From the sublime to the ridiculous:

Cigars and champagne at the Ritz to drinking meths with the dossers in cardboard city. 
    We were so vulnerable in the last 10 minutes and added time after the changes.

If your starting 11 is important, so is the 11 on the pitch at the business end of a match.

Cafc played some great football and used the width of the pitch so well in that 1st half with Dobson and Louie Watson pulling the strings. Decent game management for most of the 2nd half until their subs saw a big improvement in Wigan and we were the polar opposite with reserves.

With a resurgent Pompey at the top of the table and our next league game, the away win was vital last night.

The injury curse continues and the January window will determine if we can kick on from mid table.
  • Agree with a lot of what @KingKinsella says above. What I would say is that now we’ve shown we can attack and win games going forward hopefully MA can spend some time on the training ground teaching passing patterns for possession retention when we’re ahead. I know that feels like it should be second nature but lots of this squad haven’t played together and those who have haven’t won comfortably very often. 
  • I'm quite pleased with that, and Apples knows his onions.
  • edited November 2023
    Well well well....

Firstly, do hope a large portion of humble pie is on the menu this morning for majority of posters on the pre-match thread yesterday :) 

All jokes aside, I don't think anyone was expecting that 1st half performance. We were brilliant!

A couple of points I took away from the game....

I thought the defence looked resolute, assured and for first time in a while, balanced. For all the criticism that has been directed at them recently, they more than stepped up to the plate last night. Especially Hector.

The attacking players and midfielders were a thorn in their defence's side all game, pressing and closing down was really good.

My take on Kirk, being blamed for the goal last night, is that it is pretty harsh. If their player wasn't able to get around the defenders in the corner, Hector wasn't to miss the cross, he wouldn't have had to get across the player in the first place. Don't think he is anymore to blame there than anyone else personally - just my opinion.

Fraser has all of a sudden turned into a bit of a scapegoat, not sure what that's all about. Think some people are forgetting he's probably still gaining match fitness after a long-ish injury lay off. Also, wasn't that long ago that he was our main goal contribution from midfield.

Yes we made it a nervy ending, could of been avoided of course, but 2-3 completely flattered Wigan in my view and we dominated that game.

Wasn't sitting too for away from a guy who spent the entire time, up until he scored I'll add, calling CBT a lazy ****. You just can't please everyone can you but did have a chuckle to myself and a glance over when the ball hit the back of the net. 

I predicted a 2-2 draw, so am over the moon with the 3 points. Really hope we kick on now.

Onwards and upwards!!

• Sponsored links:

• Only saw the first hour so cannot comment on what came later. A few observations. 

Wigan were shyte but we were very very good. Leaburn needed a decent performance. He got away with a few very nearly bad touches which ended up being just good enough (e.g, his assist for CBT) which on another day would have made him look clumsy but his all round performance was a massive improvement. 

L Watson must be a permanent starter. Appleton has explained his reservations but we frankly do not have another option at the same standard as this lad. Permanent deal please. 

Kirk unfortunately is becoming a self fulfilling prophecy. The less we play him and the more he stinks the place out when he does, the harder it is to get rid as we surely must. Whoever was responsible for that signing should hang their heads. 

We might be unusually rich in numbers but we are low in quality. Despite recent improvements we do not have promotion worthy full backs and our centre halfs are flaky. Our loans, L Watson. Aside, have been a disaster. C Campbell must have something on Appleton, Tedic appears to be a dud despite his provenance and Abankwa was clearly a desperation signing. Cant even blame Sandgaard Jr unfortunately. 

If we lose any of Dobson, CBT or Alfy to injury or the transfer window we are totally stuffed. True of most sides if you take their best three players out but we are so dependent on these guys it’s unreal. 

Gonna be a season of highs and lows. 
  • A better performance than Saturday although Wigan are a struggling side. If we hadn’t had beaten them then real questions may have been asked. 
    Main question is why Kirk is anywhere near the first team. He doesn’t want to be here and it shows. We need to offload him in Jan or just freeze him out the set up. He’s garbage stealing his wage. 
  • That win takes us 5 points off of a playoff place which puts us in with a real chance of making them
    Still early days but we are definitely in the running 
  • edited November 2023
    We need to address this full back situation (especially LB) so we don't have a VB bumbling around there. Watson played fine, but a good left footed full back, we still await.

Could have smashed Lincoln if we played like this, but they didn't fancy the battle that day. Thye just want to keep us on edge and interested.
  • Kudos to Apples for the starting 11. The first half was the best away since the first 45 against Millwall preseason. Movement was excellent and all the touches and tackles were coming off to order. Dobbo and L Watson were running the show and young Leaburn was enjoying himself. May was being May - brilliant. The pitch appeared enormous and the men in black appeared to have space and time to do what they liked. Wigan were awful. Their manager got it very wrong.

Three very different but excellent goals to the good, Apples was probably right to bring off players to rest them and avoid injury (CBT looked tight as he walked off). There was a day when we had a Pratley on the bench ready to come on and close things down but putting rather ineffective replacements on nearly cost us dearly. None added to the defensive set up and with Dobbo tiring and Hector starting to lose concentration Wigan nearly stole a point. 

We talk about getting exciting, attacking forwards and have been successful in this with the acquisition of May. But maybe in January what we really need is a hardened old pro who can play for 20 mins at the tail end of games and stamp down on any attacking nonsense from the opposition.
  • That was a great game to watch and be a Charlton fan, didn't they do well, really well, much more like it than the Lincoln game last week for sure and the Bolton one too, although I didn't see that one. Away from home after losing 2 on the spin, 3-0 up past the 80th minute and seeing out the game, albeit a bit creakily, that's best tenner I've done in a while.
    Must have been great for the squad and for our travelling fans. 

I think when MA looks critically at their goals he'll see the 2 subs, Fraser and Kirk, didn't help things defensively. Fraser could have anticipated and filled the gap between Asiimwe and Dobson and tracked the runner who helped set up their first goal. For their second he could have shouted Jones out of the way and booted the cross ball into row Z. Kirk, well, his anticipation and blocking of their goal scorer was second rate.

A great 3 points on the road and almost but not quite worth the long wait.

On to the Cup draw next week :0)
  • Surely now Appleton knows everything he needs to know about Kirk and Fraser?
    Replacing very tired players they made things demonstrably worse
    Each was at least partially culpable for Wigan's goals
    Are Chem Campbell and Karoy Anderson really less worthy of places even on the bench?
    I'm not buying Apple's line about he's just got too many to choose from in midfield, when some that he does choose let him down this badly

All the recent benchwarmers and unselected chaps will presumably get their chance to shine against CVPM and then Sutton on 14th, surely by then Apples will have taken off the blinkers.
    Not too many chances for defenders to get a break but it's clear they all still need the practice. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I guess our midfield sub was forced due to Camara's injury after 10mins. We probably would have started with Karoy on the bench instead of Kirk if had foreseen a substitution so soon into the game.

• edited November 2023
    Is it ok now to remind ourselves that the 4  long term injured players, Aneke, T Taylor, Edun and now Camara, all had injury issues pre season. They all occupy positions, left back, defensive midfield, attacking midfield and striker, that we do not really have adequate other backup options for. You could add MacGrandles to that list as well. Just saying that when January comes around please no signings 'coming back from injury'.
  • Suddenly realised I’d not booked my Sainsburys delivery slot for Friday (we’ve gone all posh) now got 4 booked, Charlton mirroring real life!
  • swordfish said:
    I'm quite pleased with that, and Apples knows his onions.

Trying to get rid of the Turnips are the main problems so we can return to our salad days and reap the rewards of the fruits of our labour.
    We've had too many Granny Smith's in our teams in recent seasons and until we get back to core values, we wont have a golden delicious future.
    It would be sheer Ambrosia if Apples can shine and not crumble.
    That's got all the puns out of the way in one mouthfull of goodies...🙄
  • Assume C Campbell and Anderson will play Sunday. I hope they both have a good game and persuade MA to replace Kirk on the bench with one of them 
  • Always feel you need a bit of luck at some point, that free kick against the bar was it for me, well deserved three points despite the late scare, good game.
  • Superb first 45 minutes and realistically we’re never going to play like that for 90 but we do need to achieve that level for 70 minutes. If we can reach that level of consistency then we’ll win more than we lose but it’s hard to see that with our current Jekyll and Hyde performances.
  • ross1 said:
    Assume C Campbell and Anderson will play Sunday. I hope they both have a good game and persuade MA to replace Kirk on the bench with one of them 
    I suspect most loan signings will not be given permission to play in the Cup in case they are recalled and become cup-tied?