Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Wigan Athletic vs Charlton Athletic: Tuesday 31st October 2023 | KO 7:45PM

Comments

• Options
    Shame we don’t have a league match at the weekend to try and keep the momentum going.
  • Options
    Special mention to Tennai Watson who was excellent out of position at left back. We looked a lot better with him there than we have with Thomas the last few games.
    Bizarrely looked more comfortable there than on the right. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Special mention to Tennai Watson who was excellent out of position at left back. We looked a lot better with him there than we have with Thomas the last few games.
    That’s good news. Was he tested much?
  • Options
    I was a bit down after the game. Yes it was a victory but I have never thought we would be relegated, I need to see the proof we can get promoted. And I didn't see it on Tuesday night. I saw the proof we have some players much better than the League but there is a soft under belly that is almost predictable it will show itself at some point in a game and it always does to some extent. If I see that go, I think we will have made a major step forward and to do that, Appleton has to work out what the cause is. If it is young players, we can improve them and it is an understandable issue. If it is senior players we need to get rid. 
    This is a priority for January. Appleton has expressed the need to bring in more experience (and steel). Should be easier task than finding creative and goalscoring players, which we now have plenty of.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    se9addick said:
    Talal said:
    That’s good news. Was he tested much?
    I don't think he was tested a whole lot but others may remember better. Felt he got forward more, used the ball better and worked hard. Was like any pressure was relieved by playing on that side. 
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    That win takes us 5 points off of a playoff place which puts us in with a real chance of making them
    Still early days but we are definitely in the running 
    Not a chance. But you can dream. 
  • Options
    I find it so annoying that fans aren't allowed to make honest comments about a player's failings without it being called scapegoating.

Presumably, some feel we must praise every player, every game without exception, regardless of how they are performing.
    Agree. What's also really annoying is how many people don't understand the meaning of the word scapegoat.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    kafka said:
    I was a bit down after the game. Yes it was a victory but I have never thought we would be relegated, I need to see the proof we can get promoted. And I didn't see it on Tuesday night. I saw the proof we have some players much better than the League but there is a soft under belly that is almost predictable it will show itself at some point in a game and it always does to some extent. If I see that go, I think we will have made a major step forward and to do that, Appleton has to work out what the cause is. If it is young players, we can improve them and it is an understandable issue. If it is senior players we need to get rid. 
    This is a priority for January. Appleton has expressed the need to bring in more experience (and steel). Should be easier task than finding creative and goalscoring players, which we now have plenty of.
    That’s kind of where my faith and positivity of finishing top 6 relies on. Tedic and Campbell will probably be recalled due to lack of game time and opens up spaces to try and make us defensively sound
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    I find it so annoying that fans aren't allowed to make honest comments about a player's failings without it being called scapegoating.

Presumably, some feel we must praise every player, every game without exception, regardless of how they are performing.
    I don't think that's true, if anything I think a lot of people are incredibly negative about some of our players who don't deserve it. As soon as a goal goes in the comments about us being shit crop up.

As far as the difference between "honest assessment" and "scapegoating," I think Scott Fraser is a good example. We have seen him have excellent matches for Charlton, there should be no doubt about his quality but moreso about how to get the best out of him. But there has been some "Fraser's shit" starting to creep in in the last 2-3 matches. And whilst he has not played well, we know that it's not because he's a bad footballer, but rather he's out of form and I think more likely just not fully fit. And to be fair, there are a lot of people who call that out, but it does seem like he is now the weak link in the team and the reason things go poorly, and that's not really true.

What gets me the most frustrated is when people make decisions based on one to two matches, and not a group of matches or a season or previous seasons. Comments about how "it was all falling" apart under Appleton after we lost two matches (one to the team in 2nd) after two months of going unbeaten. Fraser being another good example. And I get that over the last few years, when things start to go wrong at this club that they keep going wrong and so it's easy to default to that, but it's just not always the case.
    Finally!!

This is exactly my point. Thankfully you managed to put it across a lot better than I did :D

Just do not understand the writing off and stick he's getting currently.

Almost as if people don't understand dips in form or recovery from injuries. These things do take time sometimes.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Not sure it's worth getting annoyed about mate. It was an observation.

I don't agree with people making out he's a problem in midfield, are people not allowed to defend players without it seeming like we must praise every player? 

I got flagged up for this last week after my comments on Lincoln game, just don't get why it needs to be so literal.

Fraser doesn't go from a goal scoring midfielder and a key player for us to being an 'ambling' player over night, just doesn't happen like that.
    I mean, he literally did just that in this case due to his injury though I get the point you are making.

The problem is with Fraser is that even fully fit he's not a high octane energetic player so a les fit version is no real use to anyone.
    Yea I totally get this.

Someone has touched on I see, but we have a lot of options now in midfield and there are varied options which is only going to benefit us as a team. 

There will be some matches which suit having Fraser in, or anyone else for that matter, and games where he won't be suited to others, that's football isn't it.
  • Options
    swordfish said:

Rare for everyone to agree on player performances. Everyone allowed to give their opinion. It is a team game played over ninety minutes though, so individual player critisism might cause less annoyance to those who feel the need to respond if made within that context. 

I've been guilty of criticising the criticizers  before. I've now learnt it's best to let it be. Well, most of the time 😉
    Yep I am learning this thick and fast :D 

I have not actually posted much since iv joined the forum but already have been shot down twice for trying to back a player or 2.

I came on here originally for a bit of Charlton chat and to hear some opinions but the negative criticism at times, usually from the same people, can be quite relentless.

Been going Charlton long enough to have seen who I think, is worthy of criticism or who isn't, like I always say, as an opinion.

Just seems that some like a doom and gloom regardless.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Agree. What's also really annoying is how many people don't understand the meaning of the word scapegoat.  
    I know exactly what scapegoat means mate and so did you when I put into the context of what I was talking about?

Not quite sure how we can be talking about Fraser in so much depth on here when we had a brilliant away win and he played 20 mins of it!
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Leuth said:
    We played like a Championship side for 85 minutes! There was no soft underbelly in the starting XI and as for the depth, don't forget that people like Karoy Anderson (who might have been a better bet when closing out a game than Fraser) weren't even on the bench. That first half was the best half I've seen from Charlton in frankly ages. I know the water's been poisonous for a while but I'd say our glass was half full of it the other night
    It probably was but I expected it to end the way it did when we were three up and another 5 minutes and we would probably have drawn that. It doesn't happen on the odd occasion, which is the problem. We were excellent for the first 20 minutes against Lincoln and then we were terrible. We were excellent in the second half against Bolton, I thought, but were weak in the first, where the game was lost. There is definitely quality there but the other side keeps rearing its head. Even against Reading, we were excellent in the second half but rubbish in the first. We need to start seeing 90 plus minute performances if we are going to achieve anything this season. I think seeing Camara go off so upset was also a big downer. You have to feel for the bloke.
  • Options

swordfish said:

Rare for everyone to agree on player performances. Everyone allowed to give their opinion. It is a team game played over ninety minutes though, so individual player critisism might cause less annoyance to those who feel the need to respond if made within that context. 

I've been guilty of criticising the criticizers  before. I've now learnt it's best to let it be. Well, most of the time 😉

I have not actually posted much since iv joined the forum but already have been shot down twice for trying to back a player or 2.

I came on here originally for a bit of Charlton chat and to hear some opinions but the negative criticism at times, usually from the same people, can be quite relentless.

Been going Charlton long enough to have seen who I think, is worthy of criticism or who isn't, like I always say, as an opinion.

I don't believe a single person on this forum believes players should only be praised. It's a laughable unsubstantiated claim. Nothing I've read leads me to that conclusion.
  • Options
    Recovering from injury or not, i'm not sure Fraser will fit into the high energy, high fitness team MA likes to assemble. 

He is talented but he does genuinely struggle to get it about it seems. 
  • Options
    swordfish said:

I don't believe a single person on this forum believes players should only be praised. It's a laughable unsubstantiated claim. Nothing I've read leads me to that conclusion.
    Totally agree mate.

I mean I do get the Kirk criticism after all :D   
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:

I know exactly what scapegoat means mate and so did you when I put into the context of what I was talking about?

Not quite sure how we can be talking about Fraser in so much depth on here when we had a brilliant away win and he played 20 mins of it!
    I haven't seen your comment, nor have I quoted it so not sure why you assume I'm talking about you.. It's a general theme on here, criticism = scapegoating, but they are not the same thing.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

I haven't seen your comment, nor have I quoted it so not sure why you assume I'm talking about you.. It's a general theme on here, criticism = scapegoating, but they are not the same thing.
    Because I used that word in the context that were all referring to and talking about...?

General theme on here, relentless criticism = trying to find a negative on everything

Like I say, we won away from home, really good performance and people still talk about some players, Fraser in this example, who hardly did anything in 20 mins to even warrant a comment. So, in a football context, a "scapegoat" - a reason to have a moan. 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    I would take a learning that we have to keep trying to score more, even when we are two or three up. We cannot defend a lead or even a nil nil with a cautious mindset. We have to play to the strengths of the team and indeed the clear weaknesses. Maybe we can change that in January, but there are a lot of games until then.
  • Options
    I think hector has been "better" as of late but I digress, I'm surprised that you didn't mention abbey in your centre backs list there
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Because I used that word in the context that were all referring to and talking about...?

General theme on here, relentless criticism = trying to find a negative on everything

Like I say, we won away from home, really good performance and people still talk about some players, Fraser in this example, who hardly did anything in 20 mins to even warrant a comment. So, in a football context, a "scapegoat" - a reason to have a moan. 
    I genuinely don't have a clue as to what comment you're on about. If I had an issue with what you specifically had said, I'd have quoted you or @ you. It really isn't that deep.
  • Options
    Agree with Braziliance and expect we'll also see the likes of Chem Campbell and Abankwah return to their clubs and at least one will be replaced by a steely, aggressive midfielder who can help us sit in.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Agree with Braziliance and expect we'll also see the likes of Chem Campbell and Abankwah return to their clubs and at least one will be replaced by a steely, aggressive midfielder who can help us sit in.
    Can we return season-long loanees in January or would it only be if parent club recalled them? 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    LTKapal said:
    I think hector has been "better" as of late but I digress, I'm surprised that you didn't mention abbey in your centre backs list there
    Doubt we are the target market for a highly rated 21 yo Club captain.

Maybe in 12 years time, then we can still pretend he's at his best.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Kirk up there with Amdy Toure as one of my least favourite Charlton players ever, he is an utter disgrace; completely spineless player who is nicking a living.

Fraser I have always liked but we lost the midfield when he appeared and he was at partial fault for both goals.

Tedic came on and Shirtliff said something like, you want to see Tedic running hard to keep the ball in Wigan's half, he ambled around letting a knackered but forever willing Alfie May do all the running and closing down.

Could do with replacing all 3 of them in Jan.

First half was an absolute joy to watch and some of our footy was great, the defence was on the front foot.  Most of the second half was quite even, their subs made a difference.  Louis Watson is a proper diamond of a player, would love to get him perm but he will play for Luton in the Champ next season I imagine.

3 points is all that matters ultimately, and finally a win away - great for the 400 odd fans who travelled in the wet, stormy weather.

I thought Tickle, Humphreys, Asgaard and Goodi(?) All looked good for them.
    Do you mean Amdy Faye. If so i agree. The worst player i have ever seen play for Charlton and that's a hell of a list to top. 
    I agree Faye was atrocious but come on Lepoint….
    Faye wasn't even the worst player in that team, I give you Djimi Traore  :o

In fact i'm sure Faye played a few games at centre back & wasn't too bad but overall another waste of money. What was it £4.5 million for Faye & Traore ?
    Faye, Traore, Lepoint. 
    Another in the pantheon of duds - Pavel Abbott.
    His displays are forever etched in my memory unfortunately.
    Youve kicked me off now - JFH anyone.