Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Wigan Athletic vs Charlton Athletic: Tuesday 31st October 2023 | KO 7:45PM

Comments

• Options
    LTKapal said:
    I think hector has been "better" as of late but I digress, I'm surprised that you didn't mention abbey in your centre backs list there
    I think the Reading centre back is out of our reach tbh, the ones I said I think are more realistic and attainable that could upgrade our team. 

If I could have any centre backs from this league it would be Santos of Bolton and Edwards of Peterborough. Best centre backs in the league imo 
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Kirk up there with Amdy Toure as one of my least favourite Charlton players ever, he is an utter disgrace; completely spineless player who is nicking a living.

Fraser I have always liked but we lost the midfield when he appeared and he was at partial fault for both goals.

Tedic came on and Shirtliff said something like, you want to see Tedic running hard to keep the ball in Wigan's half, he ambled around letting a knackered but forever willing Alfie May do all the running and closing down.

Could do with replacing all 3 of them in Jan.

First half was an absolute joy to watch and some of our footy was great, the defence was on the front foot.  Most of the second half was quite even, their subs made a difference.  Louis Watson is a proper diamond of a player, would love to get him perm but he will play for Luton in the Champ next season I imagine.

3 points is all that matters ultimately, and finally a win away - great for the 400 odd fans who travelled in the wet, stormy weather.

I thought Tickle, Humphreys, Asgaard and Goodi(?) All looked good for them.
    Do you mean Amdy Faye. If so i agree. The worst player i have ever seen play for Charlton and that's a hell of a list to top. 
    I agree Faye was atrocious but come on Lepoint….
    Faye wasn't even the worst player in that team, I give you Djimi Traore  :o

In fact i'm sure Faye played a few games at centre back & wasn't too bad but overall another waste of money. What was it £4.5 million for Faye & Traore ?
    I thought he only played once at centre back, home to Bolton after Hreidarsson was sent off. Played well but was garbage otherwise. Remember the day we signed those two I had my head in my hands. 
  • Options
    LTKapal said:
    I think hector has been "better" as of late but I digress, I'm surprised that you didn't mention abbey in your centre backs list there
    I think the Reading centre back is out of our reach tbh, the ones I said I think are more realistic and attainable that could upgrade our team. 

If I could have any centre backs from this league it would be Santos of Bolton and Edwards of Peterborough. Best centre backs in the league imo 
    The two mentioned are outstanding. It's a puzzle they are still in this division. When Hector is good (as he was in the first hour on Tuesday) he is very good but he does tend to lose concentration and this leads to goals as has happened in the past three games.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Chunes said:
    Agree with Braziliance and expect we'll also see the likes of Chem Campbell and Abankwah return to their clubs and at least one will be replaced by a steely, aggressive midfielder who can help us sit in.
    Can we return season-long loanees in January or would it only be if parent club recalled them? 
    I'm not too sure, but I'd imagine their clubs will recall them both if they've been frozen out and aren't playing. Didn't Levitt go back in January? ed - Yeah, was recalled
  • Options
    Slightly Off-Piste, but thinking about the impending 5th booking for Dobson and Alfie, when is the cut off point for the 5th booking and automatic match ban...
    Also, should they play Sunday, does the cup match count??
    Thanks in advance...👍
  • Options
    Slightly Off-Piste, but thinking about the impending 5th booking for Dobson and Alfie, when is the cut off point for the 5th booking and automatic match ban...
    Thanks in advance...👍
    19 league games, FA cup does not count
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    ross1 said:
    Thanks in advance...👍
    19 league games, FA cup does not count
    Thanks Ross, really hope that neither are lined up to play Sunday...at best on the bench, just incase they are needed...🙄
  • Options
    So our 19th game will be Cheltenham at home.

OR Cambridge at home if Northampton at home is postponed until the new year due to internationals...
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    In January we need a centre back to partner Jones, the more the season goes on, the more I think Jones could improve. Hector on the other hand just doesn't seem to be our solution.

There are loads of good centre backs in this league, a fair few whos contracts are up in the summer so we could test their clubs resolves. 

Chey Dunkley, Will Aimson, Carl Piergianni and Ryan Tafazolli. The first 3 all occupy spots in the top 10 of who scored player ratings, usually not a bad website to go by. I've been impressed by Dunkley & Piergianni in particular when we played them.

For those interested, May, CBT and Dobson, they rank 11th, 12th and 18th as a comparison. 

January is huge, need to focus on staying in touching distance of the play-offs and exploit the players who contracts are coming to a close just like others will do to us when the time comes. 
    I think a problem with those players is they play for teams that play a different style to us. Look at what happened with Sam Lavelle, at Morecambe and now Carlisle where he plays for a team that sits deep and just need him to defend the box head it and kick it then he’s great, but coming to Charlton and suddenly he’s got to be good in possession and play in a higher line and he gets exposed. Dunkley and Piergianni are very good defenders but I’m not sure they’d be anywhere near as good for us as they are in their current sides. Shrewsbury and Stevenage are in the lowest few teams in the league for average possession, it’s completely different being a centre back for them than it is for us. 

Recruitment is a lot tougher than just signing one of the best players in a position that we need. They’ve got to fit the way we play, 
    Good point but in fairness a) Sam Lavelle was signed as a proven league 2 centre back, not league 1 and b) you could argue he wasn't given a proper opportunity and joined a very disjointed team with a lack of strategy.

He seems to have found his level though which is lower league 1/upper league 2 

The players I have said have achieved promotion from this league or played at the top end of this league.

Fully get where you are coming from though, even a quick look at Piergianni and Dunkleys Pass success % around 50/60 for both of them. Not ideal for a team that want to play from the back 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think the main point I took from the game, and the preceeding few games is that we are now playing more as a team. Forget the defensive lapses, and the defeats when we were hoping for a win. I remember over the last few seasons players flinging their arms in the air, moaning at each other, looking disinterested when games were against us. I feel that Appleton has at least created a better team ethos, I see no petulence between the players, no blame culture, and although as fans we want to see our team winning every week, I'm sure this change in culture will help us through the rest of the season.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Agree with Braziliance and expect we'll also see the likes of Chem Campbell and Abankwah return to their clubs and at least one will be replaced by a steely, aggressive midfielder who can help us sit in.
    A 2018 Darren Pratley would have made a massive difference to this team. Or someone to do the job Jason Pearce did.

We have a lot of younger players, and a slight lack of leadership on the pitch.
    Would've hoped Hector might be a leader but unfortunately not. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    A 2018 Darren Pratley would have made a massive difference to this team. Or someone to do the job Jason Pearce did.

TBH I think we have a total lack of leadership on the pitch, certainly in defence.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Pratley in this midfield instead of Watson would have made a massive difference to our chance creation, passing and possession stats, that's for sure
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Croydon said:
    I find it so annoying that fans aren't allowed to make honest comments about a player's failings without it being called scapegoating.

Presumably, some feel we must praise every player, every game without exception, regardless of how they are performing.
    Agree. What's also really annoying is how many people don't understand the meaning of the word scapegoat.  
    I know exactly what scapegoat means mate and so did you when I put into the context of what I was talking about?

Not quite sure how we can be talking about Fraser in so much depth on here when we had a brilliant away win and he played 20 mins of it!
    I haven't seen your comment, nor have I quoted it so not sure why you assume I'm talking about you.. It's a general theme on here, criticism = scapegoating, but they are not the same thing.
    Because I used that word in the context that were all referring to and talking about...?

General theme on here, relentless criticism = trying to find a negative on everything

Like I say, we won away from home, really good performance and people still talk about some players, Fraser in this example, who hardly did anything in 20 mins to even warrant a comment. So, in a football context, a "scapegoat" - a reason to have a moan. 
    I agree Fraser did hardly anything when he came on. Plus if you take another look you'll see that he had 2 opportunities to prevent Wigan's 2nd goal. First he missed the ball, then he didn't do enough to block the shot.

We were of course excellent until the late subs were made, although Wigan set up as we would like every game. Stood off us and let us play, with little tough tackling. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:

Pratley in this midfield instead of Watson would have made a massive difference to our chance creation, passing and possession stats, that's for sure
    Pratley coming on at 3-0 would gave given us a much greater chance of the scoreline staying at 3-0

We've conceded more than twice the goals of Pompey (21 vs 10) which is why we're 14 points behind them.
  • Options
    cafc_se7 said:
    Leuth said:
    And that is why for the FA Cup on Sunday we can’t field a weak team. 
    We dominated Wigan for 84 minutes at theirs then brought Kirk on 
    I thought it was ‘then we brought Terrel Thomas on’ personally!
    I’m not sure it’s the left back you should be worrying about when both the goals came from our right hand side..!
    Why not? He still forms part of our back 4!! Kirk came on on the left hand side too!?
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:

Pratley coming on at 3-0 would gave given us a much greater chance of the scoreline staying at 3-0

We've conceded more than twice the goals of Pompey (21 vs 10) which is why we're 14 points behind them.
    ...Be 11 points behind come 5pm next Saturday...🤔
  • Options

I find it so annoying that fans aren't allowed to make honest comments about a player's failings without it being called scapegoating.

Presumably, some feel we must praise every player, every game without exception, regardless of how they are performing.
    Agree. What's also really annoying is how many people don't understand the meaning of the word scapegoat.  
    I know exactly what scapegoat means mate and so did you when I put into the context of what I was talking about?

Not quite sure how we can be talking about Fraser in so much depth on here when we had a brilliant away win and he played 20 mins of it!
    I haven't seen your comment, nor have I quoted it so not sure why you assume I'm talking about you.. It's a general theme on here, criticism = scapegoating, but they are not the same thing.
    Because I used that word in the context that were all referring to and talking about...?

General theme on here, relentless criticism = trying to find a negative on everything

Like I say, we won away from home, really good performance and people still talk about some players, Fraser in this example, who hardly did anything in 20 mins to even warrant a comment. So, in a football context, a "scapegoat" - a reason to have a moan. 
    I agree Fraser did hardly anything when he came on. Plus if you take another look you'll see that he had 2 opportunities to prevent Wigan's 2nd goal. First he missed the ball, then he didn't do enough to block the shot.

We were of course excellent until the late subs were made, although Wigan set up as we would like every game. Stood off us and let us play, with little tough tackling. 
    Fraser is shite mate and shouldn't be anywhere near that starting 11 and at fault for there 2nd goal, not the team....happy??

I saw there 2nd goal with my own eyes, I was at the game watching it myself.

Learnt a lot this week in my short time posting on Charlton Life :) 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Lloyd Jones is turning into our leader.
  • Options
    I think Lloyd Jones is turning into our leader.
    I'd like to see Ness next to him.
  • Options

Fraser is shite mate and shouldn't be anywhere near that starting 11 and at fault for there 2nd goal, not the team....happy??

You're over exaggerating once again.
    Fraser is not shite and is a valuable squad member who is not yet fully fit.
    He has never been particularly quick or energetic at Charlton and presently Louis Watson is nippy, energetic and playing better than Fraser.

Fraser was one of a number players at fault for their second goal and stating that fact does not mean he is being scapegoated. It means fans are discussing what happened in the game.

Anyway, as you say, it was an excellent performance for 83 minutes and this should not be overshadowed by calls of scapegoating when it doesn't exist.
  • Options

You're over exaggerating once again.
    Fraser is not shite and is a valuable squad member who is not yet fully fit.
    He has never been particularly quick or energetic at Charlton and presently Louis Watson is nippy, energetic and playing better than Fraser.

Fraser was one of a number players at fault for their second goal and stating that fact does not mean he is being scapegoated. It means fans are discussing what happened in the game.

Anyway, as you say, it was an excellent performance for 83 minutes and this should not be overshadowed by calls of scapegoating when it doesn't exist.
    Something else that doesn't exist and you've made up is anyone on here making out that players should only be praised.

• Options
    Sage said:
    Watching the highlights back, I actually love how for each goal, Clare plays a big part in it.

1st goal - initially marking CBT at the corner, lets him go when the first phase is cleared and then proceeds to mark space and not pick up May who is directly in front of him when Watson gets the ball to cross back in.

2nd goal - fails to get out quick enough to May and the ball goes between his legs from May's shot and into the bottom corner.

3rd goal - meant to be picking up CBT but is caught ball watching and completely lets CBT run beyond him and get goal side. By the time CBT receives it from Leaburn, Clare is out the game and can't get near him to stop the goal.

Micro analysing a former player, and he might be doing okay for Wigan overall at right centre back, but he certainly isn't a defender, nor have the defensive nous to really make that work.

We exploited his weaknesses well and that was another pleasing element from a fantastic 80 minutes.
    Plenty of people wanted him back though and probably still do. 
  • Options

Bit of spot light syndrome here fella, from what I read you've taken a generic post to be aimed at you when I think the poster was generally speaking.

There are always going to be stubborn people on message boards and those whose opinions differ. I said with 100% confidence recently that we have the worst centre backs in the league and that I'd keep Fraser over Dobson long term (haha). Did I get some feedback yeah, but that's just how it goes. Just like criticising players, there may be a poster who will challenge it, there will also be people who challenge people positing positively about the same players 

I mean,  I'm about to go have it out with Bedaddick because he thinks the latest planet of the apes films aren't great.

There is nothing to learn on here mate, there's reasonable groups, stubborn groups, friendly groups, as long as you don't make a ridiculous amount of comments you won't be targeted (not that I agree with that). 

Keep sharing your views and if people don't agree it is what it is, that's the nature of forums. It would be very boring if we all thought alike. 

Spotlight syndrome?? Mate what are you going on about?

I commented on a situation, just like everyone else has regarding a player and got some stick for using the word scapegoat. Then someone was trying to explain to me why he thought I was wrong and Fraser was at fault? All the while having someone try to tell me that some people don't actually know what scapegoat means?

And yet I am going for the spotlight??

I'm doing no different to what anyone else is doing here.

• Options
    edited November 2023

Bit of spot light syndrome here fella, from what I read you've taken a generic post to be aimed at you when I think the poster was generally speaking.

There are always going to be stubborn people on message boards and those whose opinions differ. I said with 100% confidence recently that we have the worst centre backs in the league and that I'd keep Fraser over Dobson long term (haha). Did I get some feedback yeah, but that's just how it goes. Just like criticising players, there may be a poster who will challenge it, there will also be people who challenge people positing positively about the same players 

I mean,  I'm about to go have it out with Bedaddick because he thinks the latest planet of the apes films aren't great.

There is nothing to learn on here mate, there's reasonable groups, stubborn groups, friendly groups, as long as you don't make a ridiculous amount of comments you won't be targeted (not that I agree with that). 

Keep sharing your views and if people don't agree it is what it is, that's the nature of forums. It would be very boring if we all thought alike. 

Spotlight syndrome?? Mate what are you going on about?

I commented on a situation, just like everyone else has regarding a player and got some stick for using the word scapegoat. Then someone was trying to explain to me why he thought I was wrong and Fraser was at fault? All the while having someone try to tell me that some people don't actually know what scapegoat means?

And yet I am going for the spotlight??

I'm doing no different to what anyone else is doing here.

Yes as in, you are making it worse than it seems and focused. 

Just on a few of your last comments; 'I got flagged up', 'nice to see a lot of positivity as usual from some on here', 'learnt a lot this week in my short time posting on Charlton Life', 'yes I am learning thick and fast' 'I've been shot down'

Just at a quick ganders on your recent posts. You're making out things to be more drastic than they are and your posts on here are coming across like a 'it's me against them' mindset. Hence why I said a bit of spotlight syndrome, as in your posts probably aren't being as bashed as harshly as you believe.

Every forum on the net will typically have reasonable debate, everytime you get into one, it isn't going to do much good chucking a bit of afters in, I.e. 'I am learning thick and fast'

So no I don't mean you are going for the spotlight, that would be bizarre, I mean it as in things aren't as bad as you are making out. Just try and enjoy the engagement and remember, words spoken on here would not translate as well as face to face communication, sort of like in this instance. :) 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Roll on Sunday, we can have another Post Match thread to "discuss"...positive or negative...🤷‍♂️