Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Burton Albion vs Charlton Athletic: Sat 20th January 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    edited January 20
    But we all seem to be clamouring for another Appleton which is what we will get if/when we sack him. Promoting from within seems to be more successful than any other approach from what I have seen over the years.
    Which part of our coaching team should we be promoting right now? We are terrible top to bottom. 
  • Options
    the only enjoyable thing about that game was that I was back home to Manchester by 18.30! 
    In the first half I thought we played reasonably well. Their goalie made two excellent, and two good saves. Bakinson was matching the Brewers physicality in midfield, and we were well up on posession stats. Then Jones allows their striker to drift inside and score a goal.
    Second half was awful, lost battles all over the pitch, they played deep, and found it easy to negate any attacking threat we had.
    We had about four corners in the second half, and I was hoping that with the more gifted players signed in January that the delivery would improve. However all four were abysmal, none of them threatened the Brewers defence.
    I probably think that Appletons time is up, but I do question some of the chants being sung by the Charlton fans. There is a balance here to try to encourage our team, and also to try to show the displeasure with the current manager. So songs like 'we're fucking shit, we're fucking shit ' is aimed at the team. Along with ' How shit must you be, you're only winning two - nil, again aimed at the players. To my mind these chants put more negative pressure on the footballers playing for our club. There were chants speciffically aimed at Appleton, about him having his hands in his pockets, and other chants wanting Appleton out, which again I don't disagree with. I don't really know how to rconcile these differences, perhaps the singers should go back to singing songs about players that are performing, eg is there a Bakinson song? He was the standout midfielder in the first half. 
    It is all so negative at the moment, and I'm just concerned that the negativity towards Appleton is creating chants that are hitting the players on the field, whether they are playing well or not.

The "we've had a shot" chant was odd, as we had plenty of shots in the first half and 14 in the match. It wasn't like the Gillingham capitulation in which we managed just 3 all game.
  • Options
    Cheltenham have some sort of form.

Carlisle are spending money.

We are a long way from safe having played more than many behind us and not won in 9 league games, most against the weaker sides.

February fixtures look awful.

Lost Tuesday and the new players will dry up as no one else will want to join.

It's most definitely the worst Charlton season in my 45 years of fandom.

Yet there's still people on here having a go at fans who dare to question the club. 

If Reading or/and Cheltenham get some form things will be more uncomfortable for us than they already are.
  • Options
    edited January 20
    aliwibble said:
    Moved from the player marks thread
    Ascore: 4
    AMB: 6
    Jones: 4 far more fault for the 1st goal than Ness. AND he missed another good chance
    Ness: 5
    Thomas: 6.5 played well today
    T.Watson: 4
    Coventry: 5
    Dobson: 5
    Bakinson: 6
    Edun: 6 very good first half
    May: 5 
    Ladapo: 5 decent hold up play, shame about the spongefoot shot
    Referee 5

Agree totally re Jones. Ness lost a header which happens. Jones didn't have awareness of the threat after that, Thomas had their no 11 so he had to go closer to their scorer. He gave him the space for the shot. He didn't read the defensive game in a similar way against Port Vale for their late equaliser. (sorry to post this here but had to comment on a good point).
    Last four or five games Jones has lost his air of dependability :-(
  • Options
    Holden, scott appointment (or he at least had a big say). Appleton scott appointment. Maybe appleton isn't the only one who needs to be fucked off ?
    No maybe about it.
  • Options
    I think Alfie's 50 yard run tracking back to challenge their marauding striker near the end that resulted in his yellow card was very, very telling. He doesn't think that his team mates are putting in enough effort to stop the goals, hence his tackle that even Curbs and Browny said, should have been a red.

It really wouldn't surprise me if he puts in a transfer request, rather than play under Appleton for another game.

Much as he loves scoring goals, I'm sure he'd rather be scoring them for a team that wins when he does! 

Players have a lot more power at clubs than people realise. I imagine if our better players make it known they want Appleton gone, he’s out. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    We just don’t do well with Terell Thomas in the side. Nothing personal. Bring in Gillespie and REG, take out Terell and Tennai.  
    He was the best of the back 3 for the second week in a row. He's a more than competent squad / utility defender but that is the real problem as that is all he should really be. The others shouldn't be near the pitch as they are clearly not capable of performing to the level we need. Edun is OK but I agree tennai is really limited in a wing back role. 
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    LoOkOuT said:
    We just don’t do well with Terell Thomas in the side. Nothing personal. Bring in Gillespie and REG, take out Terell and Tennai.  
    He was the best of the back 3 for the second week in a row. He's a more than competent squad / utility defender but that is the real problem as that is all he should really be. The others shouldn't be near the pitch as they are clearly not capable of performing to the level we need. Edun is OK but I agree tennai is really limited in a wing back role. 
    Edun combined well with Thomas going forward in the first half. I'm not sure what changed in the second half, I imagine Burton put more cover on that side

On the right today we showed far less threat.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Fraeye won 2/14
    Appleton has won 5/20
    Fraeye was terrible but it was the championship 
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    LoOkOuT said:
    Edun combined well with Thomas going forward in the first half. I'm not sure what changed in the second half, I imagine Burton put more cover on that side

On the right today we showed far less threat.
    Tennai rarely offers alot going forward. 

We should play Asiimwee if we are going with wing backs.
  • Options
    edited January 20
    KettsJohn said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Fraeye won 2/14
    Appleton has won 5/20
    He also had a squad that didn't match up to the bigger championship sides, Appleton can't beat teams with lesser squads and Fraeye was an interim. 

It's not a contest imo, Appleton is the worst CAFC manager since I've been alive, 1991.
    It's not a pissing contest but I raise you Ken Craggs AND he had Alan Simonsen?   1963
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    Fuck off Appleton, you useless C**T
    You are the worst manager that I have seen in 55 years supporting this club.

Just do the honorable thing and go!
    Karel Fraeye is the worst manager this club has ever had and always will be. 
    He had an excuse of not managing in this country before.

Appleton has played League football & managed teams badly in this league for years. 
    Amended that for you Golfie
  • Options
    KettsJohn said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Fraeye won 2/14
    Appleton has won 5/20
    But with championship players. Appleton is atrocious but Freye was a different level…
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If I see T Watson and Ness starting on Tuesday and we don't win, I will join the Appleton out camp. I am teetering one way and then the other. What puts me off is the concern we will just get another manager from the same pond. 
    Andy Scott, come on down
  • Options
    Problem is, the pool of managers who’d be interested in the job at Charlton right now will be very shallow. 
  • Options
    KettsJohn said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Fraeye won 2/14
    Appleton has won 5/20
    He also had a squad that didn't match up to the bigger championship sides, Appleton can't beat teams with lesser squads and Fraeye was an interim. 

It's not a contest imo, Appleton is the worst CAFC manager since I've been alive, 1991.
    It's not a pissing contest but I raise you Ken Craggs AND he had Alan Simonsen?   1963
    You mean 1983.
  • Options
    KettsJohn said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Fraeye won 2/14
    Appleton has won 5/20
    But with championship players. Appleton is atrocious but Freye was a different level…
    Could argue that Appleton has better players at his disposal for the level he's at though. Fraeye was a shambles, but we knew he would be because he'd come from some Mickey Mouse league. Appleton is supposed to have league one pedigree 🤡
  • Options
    I genuinely think that it could get decidedly ugly if we capitulate again on Tuesday. I don't just mean Appleton out chants. I think it could be a pitch protest or anything, the level of anger at the shitshow that somehow gets topped week after week. As others have said, if Appleton isn't sacked, that's our signings finished for this window, outgoings could still be very interesting and worrying! 
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    I think it's a bit poor dragging a player down for a medical & then giving up on him, unless there was a problem with the medical (but seeing as he's been playing regularly for PV I'm.sure that's not the case). Sounds to me a bit of a scatter gun approach, which might backfire if agents think we aren't genuine.