Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Burton Albion vs Charlton Athletic: Sat 20th January 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    Is this thread bought to you by doggy day care burton 
  • Options
    edited January 21
    Just feels like he is still going to be here on Tuesday, We will beat Northampton
    Then lose our next 4-5 games,
    Will then be in real trouble and by point with the mentality in the squad it could be too late.

Really hope the board have that meeting today, see sense and sack him now.

He has lost the support well and truly, even if we win on Tuesday he has still lost the support. maybe 1% still want MA as our manager.

I cant stand a manager who has no passion for this club and stands on the touch like with his hands in his pockets looking clueless and out of ideas.
    I agree that it's likely he'll get Tuesday night, but I just can't see us getting anything against Northampton. We haven't looked like winning for months. The board should get rid today and not throw away more points on Tuesday night, because with the run we've got coming up, we'll need them.
  • Options
    Steven81 said:
    _MrDick said:
    I am beginning to hate Appleton with a passion. I hate the formations he plays, I hate his passive persona, I hate the way he dresses, I hate the way he stands with his hands in his pockets, I hate his dour northern accent. There are probably other things I hate but I’m so angry at the moment I can’t think of them. He has to go and he has to go now despite what  Bouffant Jim Rodwell says … Good night
    I hate the black trainers he wears, that look like canoes and the way he walks in them like a penguin 
    That’s an insult to penguins 

• Options
    All the optimism over our new signings blown away after 90 odd minutes. 
    Makes no difference who we sign with this clown in charge. 
    Get rid now and give the new bloke a chance to see what's needed in the summer 
    The definition of madness, according to Einstein, was "... doing the same thing over and over and over again and expecting a different result" .

What you are asking for here, according to Einstein, is madness.

The second things go wrong in toxicvalleyworld is a cry to sack the manager. Appleton has proven he can bring success at this level. He isn't the problem. 
    I've been posting on here since 2014.
    During the last ten years i've read plenty of stupid posts. 
    But congratulations you have outdone them all.
    The most stupid post in 10 years! I don’t think so.

Appleton has a terrible record but what about before him? It was terrible then. Was he to blame for that? All of them since Bowyer have been shit.
    Is it really that they themselves are actually shit or just could it be something, someone else (or multiples of both)?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 21
                                Isted
    Asiimwe REG Gillesphey Thomas Edun
                              Coventry
                     Bakinson       Watson
                          May   Ladapo 

Well, that’s what I’d go with on Tuesday. Gotta try something. Are we currently the worst performing team in the EFL?

Subs would be Dobson for Coventry, Fiorelli for Watson and Kanu for Ladapo if knackered. If losing, you could ditch a wing back instead of Ladapo. Also worth bearing in mind that REG can play at fullback. 
  • Options
    The definition of madness, according to Einstein, was "... doing the same thing over and over and over again and expecting a different result" .

The second things go wrong in toxicvalleyworld is a cry to sack the manager. Appleton has proven he can bring success at this level. He isn't the problem. 
    The most stupid post in 10 years! I don’t think so.

Appleton has a terrible record but what about before him? It was terrible then. Was he to blame for that? All of them since Bowyer have been shit.
    Is it really that they themselves are actually shit or just could it be something, someone else (or multiples of both)?

I don't think JJ was Shit but playing 3-5-2 after it had been sussed out by the other coaches that certain players were poor in the wing back position defensively meant that 13th and mid table was as high as it could get. Oceans of space behind a wing back when ball lost in transition and WB still upfield.
    If Johnnie Jackson had been a shit manager with no man management skills Charlton would have finished in 22th place and relegated which was the position when he took over. 
    I notice that Jackson will change the formation depending on which players he has available and even 4-4-2 on occasions at Wimbledon.
    Can’t help thinking he’s getting great experience for his future role as Charlton manager. 
  • Options
    Amazing how Leyton Orient have kept five successive clean sheets, winning four and drawing the other, including victories over Portsmouth and Bolton. We can’t manage one clean sheet.
    It would seem that our ability to keep clean sheets disappeared when Thomas “clean sheet win” Sandgaard returned to Colorado 🥴
  • Options
    cfgs your comment 'but they played for each other and knew their roles' is so true of teams that have played Charlton the last few seasons.  Such a shame our coaching team, not just Appleton', can not install this into Charlton players to do the same.  Unfortunately, Appleton needs to go now, and someone is needed to replace him who is capable of getting us out of a relegation fight. let alone promotion from league 1.  Very sad to see the club we all love, in such a situation as it finds it self now.
  • Options
    We have had good managers that were not given good players, now it looks like we are getting good players, but ...
  • Options
    Stupid posts are my forte, in fact I rarely post serious stuff on here. There are enough posters who are much more accomplished.  This is of course aided and abetted by the fact that apart from a brief period in the sun, Charlton are/were always on the brink of some risible farce, induced by crap players/coaches/owners/fans.

Hoping for at least a play off place in  The most stupid of the last ten years' table.
  • Options
    Some people on here are worried that we could soon find ourselves in a relegation battle. I think we already are in one.

Currently, we are ninth from bottom on 30 points. Wycombe are eighth from bottom also on 30 points but with a game in hand. Behind them are Port Vale, also on 30 Points but with two games in hand.

We are 7 points from the bottom four but one of those teams, Reading have a game in hand and another, Cheltenham, have two games in hand. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options

100% agree
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    We have had good managers that were not given good players, now it looks like we are getting good players, but ...
    100% this. Holden must be totally gutted ! 

For the 1st time in ages we seem to have owners with the appetite to invest and just our luck we have a muppet as manager. 
  • Options
    edited January 21
    Looking at the players marks I can’t help feeling a sorry for Ness. He didn’t making any glaring mistakes as far as I could see, without setting the world alight. Got lower marks than Jones from quite a few. He’s young and still has plenty to learn of course. 
  • Options
    We wont get far without creative players, especially if CBT has left. I've not seen the recent recruits so can't really say what Bakinson, Coventry or Fiorini bring to the table but if they aren't creating many chances throughout a match I can't see us winning many games. 

I know I've bleated on & on about our general lack of strikers but it now seems I'll be moaning about our general lack of creativity. Doesn't help that it seems we will now be playing without wingers & crossing the ball into the box will now fall to Watson (T) and Edun. I wonder if they have ever practice crossing in their careers before  ??  

• Options

We looked a division above them in the first half. Appleton needs to sort out the defence. I think like me he might think Jones is better than Thomas but Thomas has been our best defender the last couple of games and you have to go with what you see. It is painful to watch Ness and Jones play slow, poor but safe balls to each over sideways and backwards. Watson is too soft and gives us little defensively or offensively. Asiimwe has to be a better bet there.

These things that Appleton doesn't see worry me but I think we should still give him a couple more games to sort it out. I would say to him, defensively, you must see what I am seeing so Watson, Ness and Jones need dropping. We seem to have replacements in Asiimwe, Gillesphey and Edmonds-Green. He should also tell the players that when they make nothing safe passes they will be fined. 
    And Thomas carried the ball forward much better too. And indeed had our best shot of the match
    That will boost the morale of the team fineing the shit out of them when they make an errant pass,Don't think that's the way to go.
    We need them to make potentially errant passes based on trying to make good passes. It is the safe passes that are not errant but slow us down and get us nowhere that needs to be discouraged.
    Yes, we need them to be more direct rather than playing this stupid slow build-up game from the back which is not only frustrating to watch but predictable to play against. 
  • Options
    We wont get far without creative players, especially if CBT has left. I've not seen the recent recruits so can't really say what Bakinson, Coventry or Fiorini bring to the table but if they aren't creating many chances throughout a match I can't see us winning many games. 

I know I've bleated on & on about our general lack of strikers but it now seems I'll be moaning about our general lack of creativity. Doesn't help that it seems we will now be playing without wingers & crossing the ball into the box will now fall to Watson (T) and Edun. I wonder if they have ever practice crossing in their careers before  ??  
    How come you’re not watching the games any more? Too depressing?
  • Options
    We need a vocal leader on the pitch! 
  • Options
    Mametz said:
    Some people on here are worried that we could soon find ourselves in a relegation battle. I think we already are in one.

Currently, we are ninth from bottom on 30 points. Wycombe are eighth from bottom also on 30 points but with a game in hand. Behind them are Port Vale, also on 30 Points but with two games in hand.

We are 7 points from the bottom four but one of those teams, Reading have a game in hand and another, Cheltenham, have two games in hand. 

KettsJohn said:
    After Northampton we have a really difficult month with Blackpool, Derby twice, Portsmouth an Bolton. Or away form is so bad that even the likes of Reading will be a massive challenge. We are in trouble this season. It's concerning that MA doesn't even acknowledge that.
    68/9er said:
    Charlton are like an old dog clinging on to life, even though we all know they should have been put to sleep a long time ago.

Needs someone with a gun to do the decent thing, any takers?
    I don’t think it’s an age thing, it’s more like a “Roland” virus. Once it takes hold it infects and separates the assets (ground) from the body & soul (club and supporters). It rages on creating a toxic environment where the weakened body and soul don’t recognise each other and slowly and painfully destroys themselves. 

I think we are at a critical point and hope we pull through and one day will rid ourselves of the Roland virus.

It’s the hope that get you … COYR

Quoting 3 separate posts from above to make my point here. A bit clumsily, apologies... 

I think we'll be ok regarding relegation unless something more dramatic and currently unforeseable happens after Tuesday's game v Northampton, such as some kind of scandal like not being able to pay players, or an inquiry from the EFL or FA regarding our expenses or accounts, or RD drops dead and his estate move to liquidate the assets.

Longer term i still say we are a 'boiled frog' as a fanbase; the walls are closing in (temperature rising, same thing) and we can't react. Suspect our ever smaller crowds will lead to a new ground-share longer term and that will become more likely IF we don't kick on within a couple of months. These are the risks that the owners need some strategies to manage and they may have them already. The current manager's record and the difficult nature of upcoming fixtures are just small factors or indicators of where we're heading. It needs arresting and I think the supporters as a whole feel pretty powerless this time around.