Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Burton Albion vs Charlton Athletic: Sat 20th January 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    Just feels like he is still going to be here on Tuesday, We will beat Northampton
    Then lose our next 4-5 games,
    Will then be in real trouble and by point with the mentality in the squad it could be too late.

Really hope the board have that meeting today, see sense and sack him now.

He has lost the support well and truly, even if we win on Tuesday he has still lost the support. maybe 1% still want MA as our manager.

I cant stand a manager who has no passion for this club and stands on the touch like with his hands in his pockets looking clueless and out of ideas.
    I wouldn’t bank on it. They’re on good form. 
  • Options
    I really hope the way T watson and Edun have performed recently shows the SMT they have to get replaced ASAP 

bring Asiimwe back in for now and get a replacement first choice lb/lwb in before window shuts  !!!
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I really hope the way T watson and Edun have performed recently shows the SMT they have to get replaced ASAP 

bring Asiimwe back in for now and get a replacement first choice lb/lwb in before window shuts  !!!
    Harsh on Edun
    Not in my opinion mate i think hes been poor and abit of a let down

you can see he trys and gets stuck in at times just dont think he is good enough for times like this when we are in a relegation scrap and especially for where we want to be and pushing to get out of this league
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    What....the fuck is Tennai Watson doing for their second btw 
    Spot on Leuth, ball watching, he is the one trailing as the player he should of been tracking heads towards the area. That type of switching off has been happening all season. Whoever is in charge should have the balls to remove that player from the starting eleven, it was bad enough when CBT did it, but he was a forward and defensive responsibilities were beyond him but when a right full/wing back does it it's criminal. 
  • Options
    What was opinion on the midfield three of Coventry, Dobson & Bakinson? Which of these was the more attacking of the partnership?
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Leuth said:
    What....the fuck is Tennai Watson doing for their second btw 
    Spot on Leuth, ball watching, he is the one trailing as the player he should of been tracking heads towards the area. That type of switching off has been happening all season. Whoever is in charge should have the balls to remove that player from the starting eleven, it was bad enough when CBT did it, but he was a forward and defensive responsibilities were beyond him but when a right full/wing back does it it's criminal. 
    I meant their 2nd goal - as you say, he wasn't great for their 1st either!
  • Options
    What was opinion on the midfield three of Coventry, Dobson & Bakinson? Which of these was the more attacking of the partnership?
    Bakinson unquestionably. 

I was a bit concerned that Dobbo looked a bit "neutered" out on the right and that Coventry while a very good player may not offer the defensive protection that Dobbo does. 
  • Options
    Bakinson

First half they were excellent

Second half I really don't know what happened, whether Burton changed tactics to deal with them, or they just thought "Fuck that bald idiot" as they were barely involved 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Valley11 said:
    What was Steve Brown saying about Appleton on Charlton TV? Someone suggested he was laying into him?
    He basically said that they (Charlton TV) keep saying it's individual errors but after a while you need to start looking at how the team is set out to play. At other points he was saying that the defensive errors look like they're happening because the defence don't know how each other is going to react in certain situations. Brown didn't specifically say "Appleton's doing a bad job" but it's as close to saying that as you can get on club media.
  • Options
    Bakinson unquestionably. 

I was a bit concerned that Dobbo looked a bit "neutered" out on the right and that Coventry while a very good player may not offer the defensive protection that Dobbo does. 
    Charlton in buying players without working out what system they are going to play in shocker?
  • Options
    For me, there need to be some changes and quickly if we are to get results. Firstly Tennai Watson has to go, can't defend when he's a full back, can't cross when he's a wing back, Maynard Brewer is the next one, any ball that moves in or around the six yard box, he retreats to the goal line, in the hope that because he's a good shot stopper he will have a better chance. Jones, has played well this season, up to the point he was out with an injury, he hasn't played well since returning, is he still not 100% ? Thomas, he looks better in the three man defensive unit but his positional sense is awful. That's four, we've brought in two, REG and Gillesphey need to start and with Hector out, a centre half is the next one who should be bought in the window. 
  • Options
    Bakinson unquestionably. 

Thought Dobbo looked ok actually. I missed the first 30 of the second half so can't comment on anything that might have happened there. I can see the logic in playing Dobbo as a right sided 8, I think the idea is to help out T Watson which sort of worked
  • Options
    I never went or got to see the game so I am only going on the result & what I have read on here 
    I said before it will take a few training sessions & a couple of games to bed in the new players & getting them playing the way Appleton wants 
    But if the results & style of play doesn't improve soon Appleton has to & will go 
    Personally I don't think his good enough he hasn't got the best out of the players we already have bringing in all these players & not being able to get the best out of them is just a waste of money  
    Hopefully he will prove me wrong 
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Harsh on Edun
    He's been awful defensively for weeks tbf
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    I think it's a bit poor dragging a player down for a medical & then giving up on him, unless there was a problem with the medical (but seeing as he's been playing regularly for PV I'm.sure that's not the case). Sounds to me a bit of a scatter gun approach, which might backfire if agents think we aren't genuine.
    I reckon he was there in case Ladapo faed hos medical.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    If I see T Watson and Ness starting on Tuesday and we don't win, I will join the Appleton out camp. I am teetering one way and then the other. What puts me off is the concern we will just get another manager from the same pond. 
    Jones costs us a goal every game.
    I meant at the moment. Last four or five games at least. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That new era was short lived. 
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    I never went or got to see the game so I am only going on the result & what I have read on here 
    I said before it will take a few training sessions & a couple of games to bed in the new players & getting them playing the way Appleton wants 
    But if the results & style of play doesn't improve soon Appleton has to & will go 
    Personally I don't think his good enough he hasn't got the best out of the players we already have bringing in all these players & not being able to get the best out of them is just a waste of money  
    Hopefully he will prove me wrong 
    I'm a bit discombobulated  by your suggestion that Appleton (who, like me, you believe is not up to it*) should be given time to bed players in.

If he's not good enough to salvage the season, the last thing we need to do is allow him the opportunity to keep on keeping on.

Giving his replacement, who I really hope would be a significantly better coach/manager, the earliest opportunity to get the team playing their way is the best way of staying up...

*This statement works however you read it, as neither Appleton nor I are up to it, indeed, we may only have the vaguest notions of what it may be, and it would really waste everyone's time if we stand back allowing continued fumbling and bumbling in the elusive search for progress towards it....
  • Options
    It's all making me feel soo tired. 
  • Options
    edited January 21
    Jac_52 said:
    LoOkOuT said:
    We just don’t do well with Terell Thomas in the side. Nothing personal. Bring in Gillespie and REG, take out Terell and Tennai.  
    He was the best of the back 3 for the second week in a row. He's a more than competent squad / utility defender but that is the real problem as that is all he should really be. The others shouldn't be near the pitch as they are clearly not capable of performing to the level we need. Edun is OK but I agree tennai is really limited in a wing back role. 
    Edun combined well with Thomas going forward in the first half. I'm not sure what changed in the second half, I imagine Burton put more cover on that side

On the right today we showed far less threat.
    Tennai rarely offers alot going forward. 

We should play Asiimwee if we are going with wing backs.
    I agree but what does he offer defensively? Asiimwe is a no brainer surely.
  • Options
    Non-Addicks in the pub couldn't believe we didn't win. Burton are the worst team we have played all season, utterly clueless all over the park (keeper excepted). Yet we lost? They even managed to miss a sitter.    
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Bailey said:
    For me, there need to be some changes and quickly if we are to get results. Firstly Tennai Watson has to go, can't defend when he's a full back, can't cross when he's a wing back, Maynard Brewer is the next one, any ball that moves in or around the six yard box, he retreats to the goal line, in the hope that because he's a good shot stopper he will have a better chance. Jones, has played well this season, up to the point he was out with an injury, he hasn't played well since returning, is he still not 100% ? Thomas, he looks better in the three man defensive unit but his positional sense is awful. That's four, we've brought in two, REG and Gillesphey need to start and with Hector out, a centre half is the next one who should be bought in the window. 
    I would like to see Louie Watson play. I know competition is fierce in midfield, be we are criminally underusing him at the moment. One of the better players in our squad.
    For me L Watson must start against Northampton. Keeps the ball moving which you need playing against team who defend deep. Surely we can compensate for his defensive inability by having the two midfielders alongside him. Probably means dropping Dobson, because makes no sense to sign the two other guys and bench them so quickly. 
  • Options
    First time this season I have a slight worry we could end up in the 4th tier. 

I had naively convinced myself before the match yesterday that we would see a new Charlton then what we have seen for large parts of this season.  
  • Options
    Too much crab /safety first football with us , no one wants to gamble, Louie Watson is a front foot positive footballer, yes he may not be in the best of form but looks to make things happen .
    With CBT gone we have limited ability to make something out of nothing , Rak Sakyi saved us from this shitstorm last season .
    We may just need a new manager bounce to get us to safety .
    More comfort chocolate , more poo, no sleep  ffs
    i can highly recommend Marks & Spencer’s chocolate covered custard creams , not for the faint hearted , super expensive 6 for £2.50 ffs can be sickly if you’re not hardcore but it’s a king of biscuits and worth a gamble , enjoy .
    It often gets worse when a team is lacking in confidence. I have highlighted previusly that whether playing well or not players like Hector and Dobbo remain front footed. Jones, Ness and Watson have become very negative and I'm sure that is down to confidence. If there is an easy backwards or sideways pass that gets you nowhere, indeed it can sometimes put you under more pressure, but if it is on make in and don't even look for the more difficult passes which can open a team up that will be your fault if they don't come off. T Watson is too soft too which surely Appleton has noticed. 
  • Options
    edited January 21

I think Edun has performed better in the last couple of games to be fair to him and I have been slagging him off for a while. We have a replacement for T Warton who is better in every way so that change should be a no brainer. If Appleton does read this, which I doubt, and thinks but Asiimwe has mistakes in him, has he not been watching Watson?
  • Options
    Having invested a few quid in fresh players, I am sure the owners will give Appleton a couple of games to see how they respond to him. 
    Thing is though, he is seemingly so devoid of passion, even perhaps of interest, not to mention the inability to coach and organise a defence that I think that would be a mistake, he should be sacked today to give a new man at least a few hours with what must be a pretty demoralised squad, to engender some confidence and organisation