Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Burton Albion vs Charlton Athletic: Sat 20th January 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    I have to say as the most prominent Charlton forum, MA must read this. If I was the manager I would, an so would you. Michael, it’s over you have no time left, new, signings need time ! Sorry you’re not getting that. We don’t hate you, we just want you to admit, you can’t turn this around. Please fall on the sword an resign.  
  • Options
    Disappointing to say the least. 
  • Options
    Nug said:
    I have to say as the most prominent Charlton forum, MA must read this. If I was the manager I would, an so would you. Michael, it’s over you have no time left, new, signings need time ! Sorry you’re not getting that. We don’t hate you, we just want you to admit, you can’t turn this around. Please fall on the sword an resign.  
    I think there is zero chance he will resign, very few managers do and certainly he will be looking for a pay off.

And quite rightly so on both counts.
  • Options
    clive said:
    The usual poor defending. They need shipping out and a rebuild. T Watson woeful and Lloyd Jones  so out of sorts. Pathetic that we can't defend. It's inexcusable 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 21
    LouisMend said:
    I think it's a bit poor dragging a player down for a medical & then giving up on him, unless there was a problem with the medical (but seeing as he's been playing regularly for PV I'm.sure that's not the case). Sounds to me a bit of a scatter gun approach, which might backfire if agents think we aren't genuine.
    Appleton doesn’t actually say that it’s the club cooling on the player, it might actually be that Uche’s terms have not being met. Didn’t someone say he wanted more cash to compensate for London prices?
    Personally I’d rather we bought another right back/wing back. 
    PS Second week running a bit of football related insomnia has kicked in. It’s probably the worry about what might happen against the Cobblers as much as anything else! 🙁
  • Options
    What was Steve Brown saying about Appleton on Charlton TV? Someone suggested he was laying into him?
  • Options
    edited January 21
    As others have said, it is true that Appleton can’t make the players make the right decisions once the game has started. I’ve not seen any of the games apart from the two Cray Valley ones on TV.

However, the red flags are there. What’s with the hands in pockets and not doing or saying anything on the sideline shtick? Is it that his voice is too thin and feeble to shout during games? This is clearly his approach (like Luzon and his crouching) but how can it possibly make sense from a man management point of view to not be seen encouraging and cajoling like every other manager? I’ve read he doesn’t even talk to the subs he’s bringing in, leaving this to others. For these reasons alone, I’m not sure he should be anywhere near any kind of “management/head coach” role.

And with the subs. Ok, so he can’t influence decision making once the game is running. But what he can do is change the personnel during the game. And yesterday when Burton scored their second after 47 minutes I think most managers would have made a change at that point. But Appleton waits until the 74th minute to make a change, leaving the subs considerably less time to have any positive influence and change the game. 

The late subs and the “not caring” demeanour, it’s easy to see why fans are calling for his head. I get the club doesn’t want to get rid of their man without giving him a chance, but we seem to be in something of a death spiral and after Tuesday, Blackpool away and then February’s fixtures look extremely difficult.

5 wins in 20. Not good enough.
  • Options
    Went to the game but could not bring myself to post last night. 

Started brightly enough with some nice passing with some half chances. Dobbo, Coventry and Barkinson controlling the midfield. Thought we should have had a penalty as well. 

Ness decided to go for a header he did not need to and left a massive space for them to go in to score from which was I think the first attack at that point. Would need to see it again but thought at the time Jones was slow and could of closed down quicker but it may be the space Ness left was left him to much to do and I’m being unfair.

come out second half and straight away more comical defending with us not being able to deal with a simple ball into the box and let them just keep it alive before scoring. Was down the other end from me but looked like Watson and Jones both just let the ball bounce and failed to react. This is where I feel a for MA in that he can’t control that and it’s game over straight away. 

Heads dropped after the second hand we never really looked like getting back into, this though was criminal Appleton stood with his hand in his pockets and let this continue not changing anything. When he finally did something in bringing Watson on it made a difference in that for the first time we had a midfielder prepared to run in behind and it opened up space but it was to late by then. Kanu also looked bright when he come on and could have scored. 

In summary poor and worrying we need to get that win quickly from somewhere with some tough games coming up. Worried about where that creativity is going to come from and may have to sacrifice one of the midfield We need to wingbacks to offer more to help out. 

Feed up today but I know full well I will still be there Tuesday believing it will be different. 

Fair play to you for going up there.

Bearing in mind our poor defending has being going on all season I think MA can control it by replacing yesterdays defence. We need to see this back 5 on Tues:

Asiimwee Jones REG Gillesphey Edun
  • Options
    edited January 21
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nug said:
    I think there is zero chance he will resign, very few managers do and certainly he will be looking for a pay off.
    And zero chance he'll be reading this.
  • Options
    This whole thread could be renamed ’sack the manager.’ Appleton’s job title however is ’Head Coach’ so who exactly should we really be sacking?

I’m not being pedantic here. 
    Do we really have a manager on the bench?
    I believe that Appleton coaches and picks the team but I’m not sure that he makes the decisions over transfers.

We can argue that if we keep losing with new, good players then the Head Coach must be at fault. However’ working on the same logic, if we change Head Coach as we have already done this season, and we keep losing, then we have to look higher up. Who really is the manager? I just don’t necessarily believe that sacking the ’Head Coach’ will work. It hasn’t changed a bloody thing ever since Bowyer went and that’s far too many changes already.
  • Options
    edited January 21
    Leuth said:
    What....the fuck is Tennai Watson doing for their second btw 
    Out muscled by Oshilaja. TW has been very poor for weeks now. Could be argued that he was at fault for Peterboro’s second last week too….for not getting back.

Not sure he has what it takes to play RWB. He doesn’t give us an outlet going forward which a wing back needs to do….and this is a key reason why this new formation desperately lacks creativity.

With three non attacking / goal scoring midfielders in the middle and only one proper wing back you aren’t going to create a lot / be strong going forward.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    LouisMend said:
    I think it's a bit poor dragging a player down for a medical & then giving up on him, unless there was a problem with the medical (but seeing as he's been playing regularly for PV I'm.sure that's not the case). Sounds to me a bit of a scatter gun approach, which might backfire if agents think we aren't genuine.
    Appleton doesn’t actually say that it’s the club cooling on the player, it might actually be that Uche’s terms have not being met. Didn’t someone say he wanted more cash to compensate for London prices?
    Personally I’d rather we bought another right back/wing back. 
    PS Second week running a bit of football related insomnia has kicked in. It’s probably the worry about what might happen against the Cobblers as much as anything else! 🙁
    I can't see they would get to the stage where he is having a medical if personal terms had not been agreed already.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    All the optimism over our new signings blown away after 90 odd minutes. 
    Makes no difference who we sign with this clown in charge. 
    Get rid now and give the new bloke a chance to see what's needed in the summer 
    The definition of madness, according to Einstein, was "... doing the same thing over and over and over again and expecting a different result" .

What you are asking for here, according to Einstein, is madness.

The second things go wrong in toxicvalleyworld is a cry to sack the manager. Appleton has proven he can bring success at this level. He isn't the problem. 
    Appleton has never been promoted from league 1. 1 good season at Lincoln is not proven success at this level 
    Neither has Michael Duff tbf and he appears to be everyone’s first pick right now.

Both have one promotion out of League 2 (Apples with Oxford, Duff with Cheltenham) and a lost playoff final in League 1 (Apples with Lincoln, Duff with Barnsley) and then sacking(s) in the Championship.
    So Duff has had just as much success as Appleton, in a much shorter time, with only 1 poor season (which you could probably argue he didn’t have enough time at Swansea). And his successes are much more recent, Appletons 1 promotion was long ago. Sounds good to me 

Surely it can’t be argued that Appleton is the best manager to set up a 3-5-2 for next season, he can’t be the best candidate for that job when he’s barely ever coached that system in the past. Get someone in who knows how to coach it, Duff is the best available 
  • Options
    Just feels like he is still going to be here on Tuesday, We will beat Northampton
    Then lose our next 4-5 games,
    Will then be in real trouble and by point with the mentality in the squad it could be too late.

Really hope the board have that meeting today, see sense and sack him now.

He has lost the support well and truly, even if we win on Tuesday he has still lost the support. maybe 1% still want MA as our manager.

I cant stand a manager who has no passion for this club and stands on the touch like with his hands in his pockets looking clueless and out of ideas.
    I'm not sure we will beat Northampton, they are above us in the table and we've won 7 games all season 
  • Options
    Burton are a limited side, but they played for each other and knew their roles.  Once they were two up, we barely threatened as they easily strangled us out of the game.

For the wingbacks to work they need space or a target to cross to.  Edun looked dangerous in patches but we moved the ball for too slowly, allowing them yo close down the gaps as the match went on.  When we were crying out for some real magic in the middle AM did nothing and then brought on the ineffectual Fiorini. Watson actually understands this level and seemingly wants to try stuff but has to wait until it is nearly all over.