Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Burton Albion vs Charlton Athletic: Sat 20th January 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    All the optimism over our new signings blown away after 90 odd minutes. 
    Makes no difference who we sign with this clown in charge. 
    Get rid now and give the new bloke a chance to see what's needed in the summer 
    The definition of madness, according to Einstein, was "... doing the same thing over and over and over again and expecting a different result" .

What you are asking for here, according to Einstein, is madness.

The second things go wrong in toxicvalleyworld is a cry to sack the manager. Appleton has proven he can bring success at this level. He isn't the problem. 
    You really can’t believe this can you ? 
  • Options
    Charlton are like an old dog clinging on to life, even though we all know they should have been put to sleep a long time ago.

Needs someone with a gun to do the decent thing, any takers?
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:
    Get rid of the useless runt now.

Bowyer or a manager like him would kick those players up the arse and get them fighting for the badge.

Worse manager ever and he looks totally disinterested.

Much as i have little time for gobby Methven, Appleton is useless. As is Scott and the rest of the back room bunch.

It'll be a big help if Scott does not see another transfer window.
  • Options
    I suspect that by now most clubs in this League would have sacked their manager after no wins in eleven. The next few fixtures are shocking - no evidence we can get any points at all. Clearly he is safe because they know they wont get anyone else. Shows how far the club has fallen. 
  • Options
    Bumped into Phil Warman on Thursday in Gravesend town centre. Asked if he fancied doing a job till the end of the season. His reply was no thank you.
    Phil’s hips are completely totalled - he is in a lot of pain, shame, as if he didn’t have hip issues, he would be a shoe in even now 😳
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My issue with Appleton is that he talks some sense in terms of identifying issues but then I don't see the talk manifest itself on the pitch. I understand he highlighted the passing backwards and sidewards being an issue today. Well the first three players that applies to are Watson, Ness and Jones. Thomas was making good offensive passes and he subbed him. Gillesphey looked like he can pass. On Tuesday he needs to act on what is plain to see. not just see it and say it. Asiimwe is young and can make errors but he plays without fear from what I have seen. I can't see how we would not be better with him playing instead of powder puff T Watson.
    How do you stand on the matter that everyone could see that against Peterborough the formation in the first half just wasn’t working and could see that just 30 minutes or less in but it took him until half time to address it but even so for his press conference for the Burton game he insisted it wasn’t the formation that was wrong but that the players gave Peterborough too much respect. Well which was it because if it wasn’t the formation why did he change it at half time? The guys a buffoon.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Southbank said:
    Appleton blaming the players for the second half for not passing the ball forward.
    So either he did not tell them to or he has no authority.
    If the players aren't doing what you want them to THEN FCUKING WELL SHOUT AT THEM UNTIL THEY GET THE MESSAGE. Don't just stand there with your hands in your pockets making a mental note to raise the issue during training next week.
    Much as I think it is going against the grain, I'd have Steve Evans over Micky Apples any day of the year. 
  • Options
    Simple- first half better team, second half , hopeless
  • Options
    edited January 20
  • Options
    All the optimism over our new signings blown away after 90 odd minutes. 
    Makes no difference who we sign with this clown in charge. 
    Get rid now and give the new bloke a chance to see what's needed in the summer 
    The definition of madness, according to Einstein, was "... doing the same thing over and over and over again and expecting a different result" .

What you are asking for here, according to Einstein, is madness.

The second things go wrong in toxicvalleyworld is a cry to sack the manager. Appleton has proven he can bring success at this level. He isn't the problem. 
    Always thought those backing him didn't have a clue what they were on about and you've just confirmed it
  • Options
    edited January 20
    My issue with Appleton is that he talks some sense in terms of identifying issues but then I don't see the talk manifest itself on the pitch. I understand he highlighted the passing backwards and sidewards being an issue today. Well the first three players that applies to are Watson, Ness and Jones. Thomas was making good offensive passes and he subbed him. Gillesphey looked like he can pass. On Tuesday he needs to act on what is plain to see. not just see it and say it. Asiimwe is young and can make errors but he plays without fear from what I have seen. I can't see how we would not be better with him playing instead of powder puff T Watson.
    How do you stand on the matter that everyone could see that against Peterborough the formation in the first half just wasn’t working and could see that just 30 minutes or less in but it took him until half time to address it but even so for his press conference for the Burton game he insisted it wasn’t the formation that was wrong but that the players gave Peterborough too much respect. Well which was it because if it wasn’t the formation why did he change it at half time? The guys a buffoon.
    It frustrates me. I can see, but don't agree with, the point that a manager would want to work out how to counter the issue and get it across to the players at half time. My philosophy is always, if it doesn't work, change it as soon as that is clear. What you do may not work but what have you lost? Replacing something that isn't working with something else that isn't working doesn't lose you anything and there is always the chance something different may help. Appleton might say that whilst we were being outplayed, Posh weren't creating that many chances which allowed him to bed in the changes at half time. I don't like it but it would be a position.

I think Appleton is walking a tightrope and when the fans start singing that you haven't got a clue you have to turn it round now. Now is Tuesday night. He rightly accused the players of taking the simple option too often and I would say taking Thomas off instead of Jones or Ness today was the simple option too. But Thomas was far better than either of them. He needs to show courage too. 

I am minded that Pardew was a good manager but completely lost the plot when under pressure. Then somewhere else became a good manager again. In calmer waters Appleton, with better players may do much better. But he has to sail us out of these rough waters this week. Appleton has said we were too soft, which I agree with, and recent signings seem to have addressed this but why play a softy like T Watson? That is my position. Not an unqualified he should not be sacked but he has to start the fightback from Tuesday. If I was confident we had something better lined up, I would absolutely want him sacked, but we can't keep sacking managers then bringing in similar. We have already seen it doesn't work.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 20
    5 defenders 3 midfielders who all look more defensive then attacking and 2 strikers. This silly cock manager is doing my nut in. Why cant we just play a 4-4-2 diamond. New defenders through the door and we play ness and terrible Thomas ffs 

• Options
    Just watched the highlights and from those few snippets, Watson is clearly at fault for the first goal and for second the chip back into the box could and should have been dealt with by Maynard Brewer, who once again retreats to his goal line rather than taking charge of the area in front of him. We had plenty of chances but their back line and keeper were clearly more up to the task. 
  • Options
    It makes you wonder how long Rodwell and Scott can continue to convince the owners they're the right men for the job?

Everything they've done so far has not worked and their credibility must be on a knife's edge!
  • Options
    First half decent, liked Coventry playing where Dobson usually does and Bakinson was full of energy and positivity. May and Ladapo linked well the few times they got service. The goal was totally against the run of play and at that stage I was completely confident we would win if we continued to play the way we were. Maynard-Brewer should have saved it but whatever 

Second half was a display again of some at best naive defending and brainless football we have all come to know and get fucked off with 

Appleton, what did he do to them at half time for a performance like that to be farted out? The pitch was shit but it was the same for both sides. Regardless of the owners/whatever they are giving Appleton the job he is on borrowed time now and I'm someone who always blames players before a manager. 

• Options
    edited January 20
    JamesSeed said:
    Nicholas said:
    5 defenders 3 midfielders who all look more defensive then attacking and 2 strikers. This silly cock manager is doing my nut in. Why cant we just play a 4-4-2 diamond. New defenders through the door and we play ness and terrible Thomas ffs 
    Thomas was easily the best defender today. Has been good the last few games as well. 
    I can't see how anybody can argue with that. I think playing in a three suits him. He has a good pass on him and only a wonder save stopped him getting a goal today. Now, of course, I have seen him play shit and if he does that I will call it but he is playing decent at the moment in a defence that isn't. Why was he taken off today?
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Who are we likely to meet in the playoffs? 

We will be saved this season by Readings 6 point deduction. Without that we would currently be just 3 points off the bottom 4. 

I've been calling it since the start of December. Finally I think it has dawned on people that we are in a relegation scrap. 
  • Options
    Simple- first half better team, second half , hopeless
    Last week it was the opposite.

Why can we only play for 45 mins. 
  • Options
    edited January 20
    I did say we hadn't reached our Nadir 2 weeks ago. Please let it be now because this club can't take much more of this free fall.

With the new players trying to integrate with the squad that are still here, is it unreasonable to expect players to train in the morning and spend the afternoon with the head coach and the coaches to let every player know what is expected of them.
    You need partnerships all over the pitch; this is basic coaching at any level.
    At least Guy Luzon was passionate !

Charlton Athletic are 16th in the 3rd tier and if Reading weren't docked 4 points we would be 3 points above the relegation.

Andy Scott has done well in this window but we need to gel quickly and push on. If no sign of improvement in a month/Two weeks/next week after Tuesday night ! then decisions have to be made as we look spineless with a poor mentality. 

Steve Cooper do you want a challenge?