Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST MATCH THREAD : Charlton Athletic Vs Oxford Utd : Monday 1st January 2024 : KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    Brown and Curbs saying they feel sympathy for Appleton - nothing going his way.
    Yes but look what they said about not using Louie Watson. Strongest response so far to that question from people who need to be careful what they say on air. 

I can’t remember the last time a player was cold-shouldered in this way when both the vast majority of fans and the pro commentators were all baffled by it.

Today it was obvious that Anderson was tiring, and keeping him on will not have helped his development. It was completely irrational. 
    I missed this, what did Brownie and Curbs say on it?
  • Options
    "Despite all that, it was pissing down with rain, getting cold and we had been playing a press. Oxford make their first sub on 65 mins when we are all shouting for a freshen up. Apples makes his on 75/80 and then 85. And he makes bad choices."

Given the weak bench at Apple's disposal I'm pretty certain he didn't want to make any changes at all, but for the obvious fatigue that had set in with a number of players.

• Options
    AndyG said:
    Appleton seems to have a very low bar in terms of expectations. Imo he played for a draw 20 mins from full time. We all knew how that was going to end ! 
    For me the reason why I have lost any belief that Appleton can deliver promotion. 

Mostly picks a decent side from the players available, has made early changes when he's been outsmarted on formation. 

Now seems to have lost the plot. The fans dont boo you Michael just because you have been unlucky. They boo you because you've made some fucking terrible decisions, not just once, but repeatedly. 
  • Options
    Yes but look what they said about not using Louie Watson. Strongest response so far to that question from people who need to be careful what they say on air. 

I can’t remember the last time a player was cold-shouldered in this way when both the vast majority of fans and the pro commentators were all baffled by it.

Today it was obvious that Anderson was tiring, and keeping him on will not have helped his development. It was completely irrational. 
     Curbs said he rates him and likes his ball retention 😬
  • Options
    edited January 1
    Cupping his ears to the Boo Boys?

Bugger off Mickey, enjoy the pay off and hopefully the only time we see you again is when your .jpeg looms up on here in "fond" remembrance.
  • Options

They seemed to be saying that something must have happened for him to be left out for so long. The subtext was that it didn't make sense for him not to be playing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought TW had a good game as well. 

The first half in defence he had Tc playing alongside him taking the outside man so TW picked the man in the channel or if he came inside. Worked pretty well. On the left of our defence CBT never tracked back which left Edun with two men all of the time. 
  • Options
    My only complaints were the non sensical subs. Thomas was an effort to protect a point and it immediately backfired and we are then chasing the game with a left footed centre half at right back with a right back on the bench. Then taking off CBT to bring on Casey, I mean WTF? Not a game to bring Casey on. Keep CBT up front and give that a go. Kanu didn't look as shattered as Anderson or Campbell so why not keep Kanu on and stick someone up top alongside him? And what has Watson done wrong? Shagged Apples missus? I don't care if he's going back tomorrow he should at least have come off the bench today, he is forward thinking and can pick out a pass. I thought the subs were all wrong. Apples got it wrong. He's got to go. I've zero faith in him getting us out of this league, ever.

Other than that I've no real complaints. Every one of them put in the required committment, busted every gut, tried their best but some are not good enough whilst others not experienced enough. The players were not to blame today.

There was a moment in second half when Tyreece Campbell ran chasing a ball with the grit and determination of an olympic 100m final sprinter which underlined that along with players like Watson and Jones smashing into tackles and throwing themselves in front of shots.

Can't fault the players today generally although Fraser's corner was abysmal when you're paid to play football.

Could tell with about 20 mins to go we weren't up for winning it whereas Oxford were.  A lack of confidence compounded by a lack of ability throughout the team.

Need a solid couple of windows to change things and make us competitive in this league.
  • Options
    Not all down to Apples, we have now got 4 centre forwards out FOUR, Chuks, Alfie, Miles, and Tedic, as highlighted by Curbs, the team is too young, and we are playing kids everywhere, because we have no choice, the team is knackered and dejected because of lack of experience, so not all down to him.
    We desperately need some new faces and quickly or yes things will continue on the downward spiral...
    The next four weeks will show us all what the Owners and the SMT want  from Charlton.

The time for throwing inexperienced youngsters into the deepend is not working.

Stand up and explain what your intentions are for the club we call Charlton Athletic.

If the owners and the SMT do not back the club we are up the creek without a paddle.
  • Options
    Sad to say but I put a bet on us to lose 2-1 at 1 all - easiest money I've ever made 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Croydon said:
    What were those subs? Indefensible.

Fraser is poison. Fuck him off asap
    Terrible corner at the end and then got the ball straight back and did same again
    This was utterly dreadful. We may as well hand the ball in for a goal kick when we win a corner. We are absolute dog s at posing any threat whatsoever! It’s bizarre, we rarely beat the first man and what Fraser did was typical of our season
  • Options
    My only complaints were the non sensical subs. Thomas was an effort to protect a point and it immediately backfired and we are then chasing the game with a left footed centre half at right back with a right back on the bench. Then taking off CBT to bring on Casey, I mean WTF? Not a game to bring Casey on. Keep CBT up front and give that a go. Kanu didn't look as shattered as Anderson or Campbell so why not keep Kanu on and stick someone up top alongside him? And what has Watson done wrong? Shagged Apples missus? I don't care if he's going back tomorrow he should at least have come off the bench today, he is forward thinking and can pick out a pass. I thought the subs were all wrong. Apples got it wrong. He's got to go. I've zero faith in him getting us out of this league, ever.

Other than that I've no real complaints. Every one of them put in the required committment, busted every gut, tried their best but some are not good enough whilst others not experienced enough. The players were not to blame today.

There was a moment in second half when Tyreece Campbell ran chasing a ball with the grit and determination of an olympic 100m final sprinter which underlined that along with players like Watson and Jones smashing into tackles and throwing themselves in front of shots.

Can't fault the players today generally although Fraser's corner was abysmal when you're paid to play football.

Could tell with about 20 mins to go we weren't up for winning it whereas Oxford were.  A lack of confidence compounded by a lack of ability throughout the team.

Need a solid couple of windows to change things and make us competitive in this league.
    Unfortunately this typified TC, great run, did loads of hard work and then ran it out for a goal kick. We have to be patient with him but his decision making at times is really naive 
  • Options

SPOT ON 100 % this
  • Options
    We played quite well first half,until they scored,really,how did Hector let that ball get to their man.Another goal conceded,that Hector played a part in,I have now lost count.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We're poor at set pieces, and try to "play" too much IMO. Would be easier, at this level, and with our players, to keep the ball in the other half as much as possible...IE stop trying to "play it out" from the goal-keeper and reduce the amount of intricate passing we seem prone to. I'm not so sure we need a different set of players, or a new manager, rather than a simpler, slightly less accident prone approach with what we have.
  • Options
    The owners, NOT Scott, need to decide whether they think Appleton is the man that can turn around the clubs fortunes. With that plan, significant more sums of money are required, such is the dire situation. Regardless of budget in this league, or reteric, the reality is that a wholesale squad and management change is needed, top down, if this slide is to be stopped. Whether the funds are available will become clearer very soon.

If we were a car, we've broken down on the M1 and all the other cars are passing us, whilst we wait for a tow truck. Even when it arrives major repairs will be needed, just to get moving again. Catching up with the rest is not possible. 
    Completely disagree, why is Scott there ? I actually feel sorry for Appleton. All im going to say is look at Chris Powell, rejected Charlton out of hand and took a job with Sheffield Wednesday with a lunatic from Thailand at the helm. If that doesn't sum it up for you not sure what does.

• Options
    Some very odd decisions by Appleton, especially the subs. Not just who he didn't bring on ( L Watson) but also who he took off. Anderson was knackered, yet stayed out there. Chem at least took some decent corners, yet was weirdly subbed with 4 minutes to go, leaving Fraser to embarrass himself with his corners. He had taken a couple of knocks, but T Watson came off when he was probably out best defender.

And all game we looked so vulnerable down our left, their left winger had a field day, as Edun have him acres of space, while Cory made no effort to track back.
  • Options
    We're poor at set pieces, and try to "play" too much IMO. Would be easier, at this level, and with our players, to keep the ball in the other half as much as possible...IE stop trying to "play it out" from the goal-keeper and reduce the amount of intricate passing we seem prone to. I'm not so sure we need a different set of players, or a new manager, rather than a simpler, slightly less accident prone approach with what we have.
    well said .. Man Citteee we ain't, our players are NOT even close to being good enough and we can't (or shouldn't) expect them to be .. Arsenal try the Pep approach and even a team as expensively assembled as them can't match the way the real experts play out successfully from the back
  • Options
    Some very odd decisions by Appleton, especially the subs. Not just who he didn't bring on ( L Watson) but also who he took off. Anderson was knackered, yet stayed out there. Chem at least took some decent corners, yet was weirdly subbed with 4 minutes to go, leaving Fraser to embarrass himself with his corners. He had taken a couple of knocks, but T Watson came off when he was probably out best defender.

And all game we looked so vulnerable down our left, their left winger had a field day, as Edun have him acres of space, while Cory made no effort to track back.
    We were knackerred and he brought on two players who had less energy than the players who were playing 90.

i did cling to a hope that Thomas coming on would mean that we were moving to 3 - 5 -2 and giving Kanu some help up front……..
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    When should the owners minge, sorry, spokesman Methven come out and say something about this dirge?
    Very good question.
    Think he has put his head in the sand , and hoping we go away.
  • Options
    edited January 1

How much time do we want to give their man??

Would need to see a different angle of it, but could AMB have done better with their goal? He looks to take an age to get over.