Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST MATCH THREAD : Charlton Athletic Vs Oxford Utd : Monday 1st January 2024 : KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    swordfish said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Such a massive feeling of déjà vu at the moment:

Weak squad exposed ✔️
    Key players injured ✔️
    Having to use too many academy players ✔️
    Manager bounce turning to sh*t ✔️
    Crowds dwindling ✔️
    Confidence evaporating ✔️
    Booing ✔️
    Rigid adherence to formation that’s not working✔️
    Players played out of position ✔️
    Rumours of key players leaving ✔️
    Promising players’ form deteriorating ✔️
    Pinning hopes on a January window ✔️
    Rivals thriving, or surviving, at a higher level ✔️

What’s next?
    Hope that we’ll make multiple good signings in the window evaporating? (I very much hope I’m wrong about this).
    Manager sacked, to be replaced by someone that we’re not convinced by?
    We need to break free from this cycle of decline pretty sharpish. 
    It is groundhog day mate. I said it early doors, we just copy and paste every season. 

There is only one solution now. Sign CBT and Dobson on longer contracts. Sign a new left back, right back, centre back, two new centre mids, a target man and a right winger. Sack Appleton and be ambitious with our next appointment. Give whoever it is the free hit of the rest of this season to build a winning side. It's what Ipswich did.

Anything else is unacceptable. Woke up miserable today. Watched back my footage and the highlights and Dobson is the only player up to it from yesterday. CBT also had spells but I think he is looking demoralised. 

Apologies if you've said before, but have you any names to throw out there that would satisfy you as being an ambitious appointment to replace Appleton?
    I'd take Curbs, Bowyer, Jacko or Powell just because we will have a connection again and at least our teams won't be as soft as this. 

If we are being a bit smarter and willing to spend, I'd certainly look at Jon Brady of Northampton, he's getting the best out of a very limited squad and is a manager 'on the up'. Dave Challinor would have been a sound appointment, but I think he's pretty settled. 

On a more ambitious note it would be Nathan Jones or Tony Mowbray, not that either will come here, but they would if the money was right imo. We are a good project and it would look good on the CV to get a tarnished club up a division. 

Ultimately though this mob will sack Appleton, get in Pearce on an interim basis, not spend in January and use the lack of stability as an excuse and then would roll the dice again on a cheap, unambitious appointment.

Pretty certain Brady turned us down before we appointment Appleton 
  • Options
    Like most on here I came away from the game feeling low but my overall feeling was a lack of hope that things are going to get better. Since my first game with my Dad at Orient away circa 1965 I can’t ever recall feeling like this. As has been said it’s literally Groundhog Day every game & every season. We will see how serious these new owners are by their actions to sort this currently never ending mess. To me, that means now spending proper money to build a structure for success. If we do have some billionaires in the ownership then to my way of thinking, the old adage that you have to speculate to accumulate springs to mind. If they carry on with second rate appointments & signings then don’t be surprised if you get second rate results. Or in our case third rate. The potential at Charlton is massive. It’s criminal that that potential is not being tapped. If you build it they will come . The alternative is to fiddle around trying to stick fingers in the leaking dam that eventually will burst, & this great club will just wither & die. I’m already getting that message from the posts on here from people, like me are reaching the end of their tether . The current situation is not sustainable, so if I was a billionaire with money to spare then I’d throw everything at it to make it work. If you fail then at least you’ve given it a proper go, but I’m willing to bet it will be better than what we currently have. And yes, I do appreciate that we have to work within the Financial FairPlay rules but we can certainly do better than the owners seem willing to put in at the moment. Let’s hope they prove us all wrong. 
    Nice one Pete.
  • Options
    ValleyBen said:
    And my fear confirmed, just had a text from my brother saying my nephew is undecided about coming to Reading away now. 

Start of the season he would have agreed to Carlisle away without a second thought. 

Something needs to change and quickly at our club as this endless cycle of mediocrity & failure may not drive away all us diehards but will dwindle away the fans who are meant to be our future. 
    Well said - my boys have both stopped going this season and i stopped early on in the season,

It’s depressing to see the club in this state and even diehards, like yoi say, have had enough.

It’s not just about results, but is more to do with the useless ownership/SMT who seem to treat the facs with contempt. 

The club is on the brink.
  • Options
    edited January 2
    Sounding like a broken record now. It's all just predictable isn't it. Appleton probably needs to go as he's lost the majority of fans, but the people in charge have a lot to answer for, that's their man and they're the ones who made these weak signings.

Our only hope now is to do what Ipswich done 2 seasons ago, plan for next year and end strong. 

https://youtu.be/pm8Gu8UZXR4?si=kjvedOgvMN5NTMSi

Vlog up. My usual cheery self 😉 enjoy (if you can)
    I want a VAR on the crossbar challenge , I’m sure it clipped it ,I was at the game .
    Did anyone see it on Charlton TV .

thanks for video Braziliance keep up the good work and nice to hear that Oxford had their shite side out and beat us .

i have no words worth hearing , we’re beyond pathetic .

Charlie Methven shot off prolly to cheer in the boardroom after Fraser took the corner he kicked straight off 

few old players in the vista lounge 
    Phil Chapple ,Leaburn,Danny Mills🤷‍♂️ prolly more but I wanted to vomit after another third tier defeat of wankness

Chem Campbell won man of the match , I mean not sure anyone deserved it so choose the fella who scored and missed with a toblerone header 

Grim grim grim 
  • Options
    Sounding like a broken record now. It's all just predictable isn't it. Appleton probably needs to go as he's lost the majority of fans, but the people in charge have a lot to answer for, that's their man and they're the ones who made these weak signings.

Our only hope now is to do what Ipswich done 2 seasons ago, plan for next year and end strong. 

I want a VAR on the crossbar challenge , I’m sure it clipped it ,I was at the game .

thanks for video Braziliance keep up the good work and nice to hear that Oxford had their shite side out and beat us .

Charlie Methven shot off prolly to cheer in the boardroom after Fraser took the corner he kicked straight off 

Phil Chapple ,Leaburn,Danny Mills🤷‍♂️ prolly more but I wanted to vomit after another third tier defeat of wankness

Chem Campbell won man of the match , I mean not sure anyone deserved it so choose the fella who scored and missed with a toblerone header 

Grim grim grim 
    Did you see how the Oxford fans didn't fancy their chances? If they now go on a poor run again, it will only highlight further how bad we are mate.

Perfect description of Campbells header effort, such a wasted chance. I don't rate him at all, it's just easy to look decent when you're surrounded by so much guff 
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    swordfish said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Such a massive feeling of déjà vu at the moment:

Weak squad exposed ✔️
    Key players injured ✔️
    Having to use too many academy players ✔️
    Manager bounce turning to sh*t ✔️
    Crowds dwindling ✔️
    Confidence evaporating ✔️
    Booing ✔️
    Rigid adherence to formation that’s not working✔️
    Players played out of position ✔️
    Rumours of key players leaving ✔️
    Promising players’ form deteriorating ✔️
    Pinning hopes on a January window ✔️
    Rivals thriving, or surviving, at a higher level ✔️

What’s next?
    Hope that we’ll make multiple good signings in the window evaporating? (I very much hope I’m wrong about this).
    Manager sacked, to be replaced by someone that we’re not convinced by?
    We need to break free from this cycle of decline pretty sharpish. 
    It is groundhog day mate. I said it early doors, we just copy and paste every season. 

There is only one solution now. Sign CBT and Dobson on longer contracts. Sign a new left back, right back, centre back, two new centre mids, a target man and a right winger. Sack Appleton and be ambitious with our next appointment. Give whoever it is the free hit of the rest of this season to build a winning side. It's what Ipswich did.

Anything else is unacceptable. Woke up miserable today. Watched back my footage and the highlights and Dobson is the only player up to it from yesterday. CBT also had spells but I think he is looking demoralised. 

Apologies if you've said before, but have you any names to throw out there that would satisfy you as being an ambitious appointment to replace Appleton?
    I'd take Curbs, Bowyer, Jacko or Powell just because we will have a connection again and at least our teams won't be as soft as this. 

If we are being a bit smarter and willing to spend, I'd certainly look at Jon Brady of Northampton, he's getting the best out of a very limited squad and is a manager 'on the up'. Dave Challinor would have been a sound appointment, but I think he's pretty settled. 

On a more ambitious note it would be Nathan Jones or Tony Mowbray, not that either will come here, but they would if the money was right imo. We are a good project and it would look good on the CV to get a tarnished club up a division. 

Ultimately though this mob will sack Appleton, get in Pearce on an interim basis, not spend in January and use the lack of stability as an excuse and then would roll the dice again on a cheap, unambitious appointment.

Pretty certain Brady turned us down before we appointment Appleton 
    Jesus Christ, is there anyone that didn't turn us down 😂

He would have genuinely been a decent appointment, recent success, respectable win rate as a manager, had decent results on a shoestring budget. 

He also comes across like a decent bloke which goes a long way here. 

I really don't know who we could get then? 

Mark Bonner? Not sure if I rate him though tbh
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    JamesSeed said:
    I was just thinking quite a few of the posts have been relatively positive, in terms of the players putting in a shift. Certainly less negative than after Orient and Bristol. Focus is very much on the management. 
    The youngsters tried, just none of them are good enough. 
    May be it would be better to say. The you gsters not ready to thrown into a failing   first team
    And should be out on loan at say national league level.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    msomerton said:
    Croydon said:
    JamesSeed said:
    I was just thinking quite a few of the posts have been relatively positive, in terms of the players putting in a shift. Certainly less negative than after Orient and Bristol. Focus is very much on the management. 
    The youngsters tried, just none of them are good enough. 
    May be it would be better to say. The you gsters not ready to thrown into a failing   first team
    And should be out on loan at say national league level.
    Been saying that for months tbf. 
  • Options
    Like most on here I came away from the game feeling low but my overall feeling was a lack of hope that things are going to get better. Since my first game with my Dad at Orient away circa 1965 I can’t ever recall feeling like this. As has been said it’s literally Groundhog Day every game & every season. We will see how serious these new owners are by their actions to sort this currently never ending mess. To me, that means now spending proper money to build a structure for success. If we do have some billionaires in the ownership then to my way of thinking, the old adage that you have to speculate to accumulate springs to mind. If they carry on with second rate appointments & signings then don’t be surprised if you get second rate results. Or in our case third rate. The potential at Charlton is massive. It’s criminal that that potential is not being tapped. If you build it they will come . The alternative is to fiddle around trying to stick fingers in the leaking dam that eventually will burst, & this great club will just wither & die. I’m already getting that message from the posts on here from people, like me are reaching the end of their tether . The current situation is not sustainable, so if I was a billionaire with money to spare then I’d throw everything at it to make it work. If you fail then at least you’ve given it a proper go, but I’m willing to bet it will be better than what we currently have. And yes, I do appreciate that we have to work within the Financial FairPlay rules but we can certainly do better than the owners seem willing to put in at the moment. Let’s hope they prove us all wrong. 
    I like the cut of your jib. I'm not sure I would if I was one of our owners, though. I suspect that most of the consortium see their investment in the club as more of a one off gamble, than something they'd want to pile serious money into. You say that you need to speculate to accumulate, but at what point do you actually start accumulating? My understanding is that as club we'd still most likely lose money in the Championship. To make anything, they'd likely need that elusive double promotion. That looks exceedingly difficult. 

Hopefully, you will be proved right and I will be proved wrong. But I can't actually get my head around why anyone who was honest and had money and a good eye for a investment would want anything to do with a third division football club. It seems like a far easier way of losing cash than making it.

I guess we'll get a good idea in the January transfer window of how our owners see things. I can’t honestly say I've got hopes of us securing much more than the odd out of contract player or a late loan signing. I seriously hope I'm wrong on that. Guess we'll find out soon.
  • Options

Mark Bonner? Not sure if I rate him though tbh

• Options
    I thought Oxford were not as physical as some teams but they do the minimum in that respect whereas we are generally well below it. Dobbo did have a good game to be fair and if Chem Campbell could head a ball we might have won that game but you could see they were not at their best but it was good enough to beat us. It is a disgrace that the squad is in such a state. Yes, we have injuries but so did Oxford. They played around it but we try to play the same way. 
  • Options
    edited January 2
    I won't be rejoicing as we will only employ somebody similar. We either have to push the boat out or give somebody like Pearce a chance, and a real chance, from within if financially the former is beyond us. Just appointing the same type of manager then sacking them is not a recipe for success. And stupid having Methven and Scott interviewing them. Just ask them do they know what is wrong and do they have a plan to fix it. Then support that plan.
  • Options
    We give teams far too much time on the ball, they can basically do what they want, the 2nd goal fine example great strike but you can't just stand there and watch a player shoot. Midfield just isn't good enough Dobson does the dirty work well but he's no match winner.
  • Options
    jondon76 said:
    We give teams far too much time on the ball, they can basically do what they want, the 2nd goal fine example great strike but you can't just stand there and watch a player shoot. Midfield just isn't good enough Dobson does the dirty work well but he's no match winner.

Definitely. They don't give us that time but we stand off them and are a second late usually to the challenge.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Grim grim grim 
    They agreed in the studio. Brownie said he’d pay the guy himself if the club didn’t. Jeez, we can’t even get this harmless competition right.
  • Options
    Yeah he definitely hit the bar 
  • Options
    edited January 2
    This talk of the Xbar challenge cop out by the club, assume the guy has requested an enquiry and video of the incident...totally unacceptable of the club to just sweep it under the boardroom carpet...🤦‍♂️
  • Options
    There’s no other way
    There’s no other way
    All that you can do is watch them play
  • Options
    Ascore: delusional or just an absolute arsehole? makes no difference the results are the same
    AMB: beaten from miles out, again, but maybe a deflection? 
    T.WATSON: his best game yet and our least bad defender, which are both very low bars
    HECTOR: a number of important blocks but simply not trying to be where he needed to be for the first goal, distribution was dismal
    JONES: similar to Hector, his distribution not as obviously terrible and MIA when it really matters - proper L2 standard
    EDUN: tidy and forward looking most of the time but lack of pace cruelly exposed for first goal, further exposed by CBT's lack of fitness
    DOBSON: without him we'd get humped by 10 every game, doing the work of 3 as usual, totally ignored by Apples when he shared his view on how things were going
    ANDERSON: game passed him by, he seemed to be the furthest forward of the midfield 3 which was bizarre whether that was his choice or Apples' instruction
    C.CAMPBELL: the goal put a lot of gloss on a tidyish but lightweight contribution, not as pitiful as Fraser
    T. CAMPBELL: a mixed afternoon, had plenty of joy down our right, made a couple of duff decisions with the final ball, obviously struggling with 15 or so minutes to go so obviously the Ugly Twat Pretending To Be Our Manager left him on the pitch when he was randomly throwing kids on as substitutes 
    KANU: bullied to the point of irrelevance by bigger experienced defenders, sent out to fail by the UTPTBOM given a job he's not really equipped for with hopeless tactics and no support.
    CBT: The quad problem he's carrying must be getting serious cos he really ain't contributing much, some bright moments in their box but nothing anywhere else
    Referee: best ref we've had in a while, didn't fall for too much and played on when he could
    THOMAS: UTPTBOM sent the wrong bloke on at the right time, after Asiimwe (the right bloke) had stripped off and warmed up
    FRASER: a shameless prick embracing the Charlie Kirk role of pisstaker in chief
    CASEY: probably worth a try at that stage but only if UTPTBOM had any notion or inclination for a plan B
    RYLAH: as Casey.  Should have replaced TC who was broken by this point
  • Options
    I thought the boos were limited at the end of the game , felt more like the ground was swimming in apathy for the whole of the match , even when we scored it felt flat .
    We’ve had the life sucked out of us , it’s as dull as dull can be , the lack of enthusiasm for it all is clear to see .
    years of mainly shit sandwiches being fed to us by clownership after clownership are leading us to just be numb to the complete crud we’re watching all the time .
    we need a big turnaround to get out of this malaise 

It has been more then a decade since it last felt like our club is well run, actually building something for the future and even that ended in disaster thanks to the crooks fronting the club, as I loved the Bowyer promotion but it was more the right manager with the right set of players producing a wonderful surprise then any positive about the entire club structure.