Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST MATCH THREAD : Charlton Athletic Vs Oxford Utd : Monday 1st January 2024 : KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    I'd like Bowyer back with Curbs on the board, doing a bit of directing.
  • Options
    I would axe Fraser until he learned how to be a footballer and use his brain, he has become a luxury player who cannot even take a corner kick, these are the signs IMHO of a player who is no longer fighting for the cause of the club and not prepared to roll up his sleeves to get his hands dirty!

It is not fair for the fans who are putting in their hard-earned cash to watch the effort of individuals like Fraser!

Fraser is clearly a sulker and thinks he is too big for this club, so get rid along with MA!!!
  • Options
    Croydon said:

How much time do we want to give their man??

Would need to see a different angle of it, but could AMB have done better with their goal? He looks to take an age to get over. 
    Fraser actively moves out of the way to let him past. 

Fineable that. 
    That’s got to be his next career move then to Spain as a Matador! All he needed was a cape 🤬
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    My only complaints were the non sensical subs. Thomas was an effort to protect a point and it immediately backfired and we are then chasing the game with a left footed centre half at right back with a right back on the bench. Then taking off CBT to bring on Casey, I mean WTF? Not a game to bring Casey on. Keep CBT up front and give that a go. Kanu didn't look as shattered as Anderson or Campbell so why not keep Kanu on and stick someone up top alongside him? And what has Watson done wrong? Shagged Apples missus? I don't care if he's going back tomorrow he should at least have come off the bench today, he is forward thinking and can pick out a pass. I thought the subs were all wrong. Apples got it wrong. He's got to go. I've zero faith in him getting us out of this league, ever.

Other than that I've no real complaints. Every one of them put in the required committment, busted every gut, tried their best but some are not good enough whilst others not experienced enough. The players were not to blame today.

There was a moment in second half when Tyreece Campbell ran chasing a ball with the grit and determination of an olympic 100m final sprinter which underlined that along with players like Watson and Jones smashing into tackles and throwing themselves in front of shots.

Can't fault the players today generally although Fraser's corner was abysmal when you're paid to play football.

Could tell with about 20 mins to go we weren't up for winning it whereas Oxford were.  A lack of confidence compounded by a lack of ability throughout the team.

Need a solid couple of windows to change things and make us competitive in this league.
    The thing I hate about all this, ‘at least they were competitive stuff’ (not aimed at you or anyone who’s mentioned it) is that it’s taken this bad a run for them to show they’re willing to put the extra effort in, or it appears so, as many people have picked up on it.  It’s such a crock of crap because the effort should be there every bloody week so you don’t notice them ‘busting a gut’ etc

and it’s not just about competing.  Effort comes in many ways.  When you’ve got a defence as Manilow pointed out that are all of an age and experience that we have, then it’s not about chasing down players, it’s about putting the effort in to make sure you defend better both individually and as a unit.  Just because a player looks like they’re harrying and hassling, anybody can do that.  Put me on the pitch and I’ll run around and make myself look busy.  Effort at that level is working on your mistakes, studying the opposition, doing extra training when we go on this sort of a run.  If you’re someone like Hector, our ‘rolls Royce of a player at this level 🤢’ what’s he doing with his colleagues at the back in the whole context of where we are as a club.  I don’t just want to see, ‘oh, so and so is chasing harder, ergo we’re competing more.’

you do that as standard 
    This is what I meant every match preview every week, that the game is a 'must win'. Some folks thought that was ridiculous and in some way piling on pressure.
    Having a no biggie attitude has taken us to where we are today, not from the fans I might add.
    We will get more of the 'give such and such a chance blah blah blah' because of the January window.
    No.
    Win at Port Vale and every match after that. Is that ask too much for the delicate sensibilities of those at the club?
    Realism is such a drag right now.
  • Options
    We can all forgive some players who at least try.. Take Alfie, no wonder he's done his back in it's because he's been carrying most of the squad.

Overall my take on today and the season so far.... Tennai had his best game  alongside Jones too.

Hector was better but there's always a cock up in him like the goal with being on the wrong side but I didn't think Edun did enough to close down the winger, in fact Edun for me is the weak link, he gives way too much space to the opposing player and couldn't close a shop door in my opinion.

CBT is a complete enigma, first half threatening, second half didn't come out.

Dobbo looks knackered and completely fed up and needs help in midfield but he may leave anyway. 

Kanu, Anderson and Tyreece need to go to League 2 like Aaron Henry.

Tedic needs to go back to City, LWatson is probably going back anyway and Chem probably should go back. 

So by my rough count we need at least 6 or 7 players in the hope that Alfie will be back soon along with McAmbles and Camera at the end of the month. I'm excluding Chucks as who knows when he's back and more importantly for how long. 

Apples has used all the excuses up and should be on the next bus along with Scotty as I wouldn't trust either of them with a pen let alone a cheque book. 

Give Pearce the baton for the remainder and let's see what happens. 

However, this is Charlton so it will be just three signings and all the buddies get to keep there jobs.

Not a brilliant time to be a fan.
    Absolutely, Edun is a weak link in the side. Not the only one but clearly one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:

Would need to see a different angle of it, but could AMB have done better with their goal? He looks to take an age to get over. 
    Took a deflection. Very harsh to blame him at all.
  • Options
    Very difficult to take again did not deserve to lose , what a strike for the goal 25 yard out and right in the corner , this was just after we should have had pen when a clear foul on Hector especially as the ref had spoke to the defender seconds before about holding … but this was a young side with very little on the bench to change things in fact two 16 year olds came on .. not sure what people think  MA can do without 9 players….. again not much wrong with performance if Oxford are 5th best team in today showing not much between these sides and when they start pretending to be injured to time waste against our kids that tells you all you need to know… but again it was all about the wingers , CBT allowed his man to attack our box Edun had two men , perfect cross something CBT and T Campbell wasted time and time again 

MOM T Watson was suberb 
    Why am I not surprised that you are the first and only person to mention a possible penalty? Why is that di you think?

And defend Apples all you like, those were abysmal substitutions and that's on him.
    And why, out of all the players, the manager, the recruitment team and the ownership, you repeatedly single out CBT as the cause of all our woes? Bizarre. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:

For the first goal not the second. The first shows, not for the first time, that he cannot understand that the six yard box has to be his responsibility, he should be diving at the strikers feet not rooted to his line. 
  • Options
    Thought the players gave their all today but weren’t good enough. Again we had good opportunities to score a second goal but always chose the wrong option of passing or shooting. TC was through with CBT and Kanu in the box but shot over the bat, CBT and both Campbells got in good positions but their final pass or cross was crap, C Campbell has a free header in the box and put it wide.
    Could see after an hour that Anderson was knackered but he wasn’t substituted. 
    Anderson at fault for their first goal letting the ball bounce over him and constantly lost the ball throughout the match.
    Thought Hector defended well apart from his poor marking for their first goal but his passing was erratic at best. 
    Jones defended well but he slows down our play at the back and his passing is slow and rarely in front of a team mate.
    Dobson, Watson, Edou and Hector put in some big tackles and brave blocks.
    Kanu worked his socks off but needed someone playing closer to him.
    CBT done a few good bits but then doesn’t track back and looks disinterested and rarely puts any form of tackle in.
    Both fullbacks look better going forward than defending.
    TC was better today but not the player he was at the start of the season 
  • Options
    eastterrace6168 said:wake up and smell the coffee it’s all down to Appleton. 
    Not all down to Apples, we have now got 4 centre forwards out FOUR, Chuks, Alfie, Miles, and Tedic, as highlighted by Curbs, the team is too young, and we are playing kids everywhere, because we have no choice, the team is knackered and dejected because of lack of experience, so not all down to him.
    We desperately need some new faces and quickly or yes things will continue on the downward spiral...

• Options
    Brown59 said: it’s all Appletons fault he’s useless

eastterrace6168 said:wake up and smell the coffee it’s all down to Appleton. 
    Not all down to Apples, we have now got 4 centre forwards out FOUR, Chuks, Alfie, Miles, and Tedic, as highlighted by Curbs, the team is too young, and we are playing kids everywhere, because we have no choice, the team is knackered and dejected because of lack of experience, so not all down to him.
    We desperately need some new faces and quickly or yes things will continue on the downward spiral...

• Options
    Croydon said:

agreed about the keeper, would have taken a good save but that is (supposedly) what he's paid for
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Croydon said:

For the first goal not the second. The first shows, not for the first time, that he cannot understand that the six yard box has to be his responsibility, he should be diving at the strikers feet not rooted to his line. 
    Not seen the first again but think that’s harsh on AMB. Hector was at fault for that. Edun maybe could have done a bit better but even so it was a great ball inside him and the winger put in a very good cross. Goals against happen and in the grand scheme of things that was a long, long way from being the worst we have conceded this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Perspective my arse. I never bet against Charlton and I lose many more bets than I win, but I stuck money on Oxford at 5-1 with 10 minutes to go because it was bloody obvious what was going to happen!
    if that “wonder goal” had not have miraculously gone past Pat Jennings mk 2’s sprawling wrong glove, I’m pretty convinced that, given that we were parked on the edge of our area all half, Oxford’s 3rd XI would have manufactured a way to get another of their attempts to get past his wall-like presence between the sticks. 

• Options
    Oakster2 said:
    What was Appleton’s response during the job interview when he surely was asked how do you, like all managers have to at some point, get through an injury crisis? What’s your plan that makes you different from all the other candidates?

Isn't he a mate of scotts ? I doubt that he had any "searching" questions to answer
  • Options
    801912601 said:
    Thought the players gave their all today but weren’t good enough. Again we had good opportunities to score a second goal but always chose the wrong option of passing or shooting. TC was through with CBT and Kanu in the box but shot over the bat, CBT and both Campbells got in good positions but their final pass or cross was crap, C Campbell has a free header in the box and put it wide.
    Could see after an hour that Anderson was knackered but he wasn’t substituted. 
    Anderson at fault for their first goal letting the ball bounce over him and constantly lost the ball throughout the match.
    Thought Hector defended well apart from his poor marking for their first goal but his passing was erratic at best. 
    Jones defended well but he slows down our play at the back and his passing is slow and rarely in front of a team mate.
    Dobson, Watson, Edou and Hector put in some big tackles and brave blocks.
    Kanu worked his socks off but needed someone playing closer to him.
    CBT done a few good bits but then doesn’t track back and looks disinterested and rarely puts any form of tackle in.
    Both fullbacks look better going forward than defending.
    TC was better today but not the player he was at the start of the season 

AMB saved that chance.
  • Options
    PWR......

mainly because I've be waiting for a for a bus for an hour. Finally discovered it was on a route diversion so didnt come down Charlton Church Lane instead just carried on merrily past Charlton Village onto the Royal Standard. 

And that folks is why I hate public transport & will always drive a car. 

Onto the football.

Wasn't anything less than I expected but very sanguine about it all as I'm reassured by Scott that we will be bringing in a load of new players & Appleton has reassured us that he is a good manager given the tools.

So.....all aboard the Apple train.
    Dream on Golfie ( & I know the comment is tongue in cheek) appleton has downsized it in his interview with "hoping to bring in 1or 2 new players"
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Took a deflection. Very harsh to blame him at all.
    Off who, Dobson?