Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST MATCH THREAD : Charlton Athletic Vs Oxford Utd : Monday 1st January 2024 : KO 15:00

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    Kept an eye on the West Ham ( spit! ) v BHA match on Sky tonight, as you do.

Previous posts I've made regarding MA's lack of, well, anything, on the touchline came to mind when subs were being made by the home management team.

Moyes spent as much time as allowed for the subs to take place, face to face with several of his players, gesticulating & pointing out  (with his hands!) what he wanted them to do during the time remaining to try to win the match.  

What a complete contrast to our ****, who watches on, hands still in his pockets or arms folded with seemingly no interest in what his assistant is saying to the player about to enter the fray. It's as if he's saying " That's not MY job"......

In addition, I believe it's been posted that when, at an injury /drinks break yesterday, Dobbo clearly told him that " We can't get out! ", it would appear that no move was made to address the issue on the pitch by making any changes or even suggestions ! 

Maybe as well as a hearing problem, he also has tongue tie ? 

We need to watch more closely next time he's being interviewed to check that A N Other isn't "working him " from behind the sponsors' screens ...

...and whether a cerain Technical Director is still in the Directors' Box.
    We need to sack the C**t - he is totally disinterested. 
  • Options
    HandG said:
    Croydon said:
    You can't compare ppg to managers who managed us at in higher divisions.
    Using it as an argument to say Appleton is definitely better than those managers is obviously very silly but I don’t think that’s why it was brought up.

I think it was only to show that, despite the meltdown which would suggest he’s the worst manager we’ve ever had, there’s actually been a number of blokes that have been worse.

Some, not all, made their minds up on him the day he was appointed and sat waiting for a poor run of form to call for his head.

With others who want passion above all else, his touchline manner doesn’t do him any favours but he does deserve longer in my opinion. I’d be shocked if there’s any correlation between how shouty a manager is on the touchline and how successful your football team is.

I’d agree with most of this and argued the same regarding his touchline calmness a few months ago.

However, his seeming lack of awareness during games to make tactical alterations to deal with ongoing issues and, in most opinions (including mine), poor use of substitutes suggests that he is standing there with his thumb up his arse.

I’m also not going to be calling for his head though as I think it’s too soon and the long injury list has to be acknowledged, but it’s impossible not to be a bit concerned!
    How long is enough ?

Off with his head, I’d say !
  • Options
    Sounding like a broken record now. It's all just predictable isn't it. Appleton probably needs to go as he's lost the majority of fans, but the people in charge have a lot to answer for, that's their man and they're the ones who made these weak signings.

Our only hope now is to do what Ipswich done 2 seasons ago, plan for next year and end strong. 

https://youtu.be/pm8Gu8UZXR4?si=kjvedOgvMN5NTMSi

Vlog up. My usual cheery self 😉 enjoy (if you can)
    I want a VAR on the crossbar challenge , I’m sure it clipped it ,I was at the game .
    Did anyone see it on Charlton TV .

thanks for video Braziliance keep up the good work and nice to hear that Oxford had their shite side out and beat us .

i have no words worth hearing , we’re beyond pathetic .

Charlie Methven shot off prolly to cheer in the boardroom after Fraser took the corner he kicked straight off 

few old players in the vista lounge 
    Phil Chapple ,Leaburn,Danny Mills🤷‍♂️ prolly more but I wanted to vomit after another third tier defeat of wankness

Chem Campbell won man of the match , I mean not sure anyone deserved it so choose the fella who scored and missed with a toblerone header 

Grim grim grim 
    They agreed in the studio. Brownie said he’d pay the guy himself if the club didn’t. Jeez, we can’t even get this harmless competition right.
    Currently a stewards enquiry going on at the club … 
    I mean they’ve got to pay out before the next one so it goes back to £500 
  • Options
    Sounding like a broken record now. It's all just predictable isn't it. Appleton probably needs to go as he's lost the majority of fans, but the people in charge have a lot to answer for, that's their man and they're the ones who made these weak signings.

Our only hope now is to do what Ipswich done 2 seasons ago, plan for next year and end strong. 

I want a VAR on the crossbar challenge , I’m sure it clipped it ,I was at the game .

thanks for video Braziliance keep up the good work and nice to hear that Oxford had their shite side out and beat us .

Charlie Methven shot off prolly to cheer in the boardroom after Fraser took the corner he kicked straight off 

Phil Chapple ,Leaburn,Danny Mills🤷‍♂️ prolly more but I wanted to vomit after another third tier defeat of wankness

Chem Campbell won man of the match , I mean not sure anyone deserved it so choose the fella who scored and missed with a toblerone header 

Grim grim grim 
    They agreed in the studio. Brownie said he’d pay the guy himself if the club didn’t. Jeez, we can’t even get this harmless competition right.
    We were in the Covered End Lower , couldn't see either way but that subs that were warming up were convinced it had hit. 
  • Options

Grim grim grim 
    We were in the Covered End Lower , couldn't see either way but that subs that were warming up were convinced it had hit. 

They've got to give the benefit of doubt to the attacking side, just pay up you tight wads...🙄
  • Options
    They use to show a replay almost straight away, but that stopped a few attempts ago.
  • Options
    edited January 3
    conker said:
    They use to show a replay almost straight away, but that stopped a few attempts ago.
    No replays or live feed of anything on Monday. Not that there was much I wanted to see again!
  • Options
    Definitely hit the cross bar
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Using it as an argument to say Appleton is definitely better than those managers is obviously very silly but I don’t think that’s why it was brought up.

I think it was only to show that, despite the meltdown which would suggest he’s the worst manager we’ve ever had, there’s actually been a number of blokes that have been worse.

Some, not all, made their minds up on him the day he was appointed and sat waiting for a poor run of form to call for his head.

With others who want passion above all else, his touchline manner doesn’t do him any favours but he does deserve longer in my opinion. I’d be shocked if there’s any correlation between how shouty a manager is on the touchline and how successful your football team is.

Managers don't tend to get judged on their overall stats though, as the recent results dominate thinking. For example with the 2 scenarios

WLDWLWLWDLWLDWLD
    WWWWWWDDDDLLLLLL

The points total is the same, but the run of 6 defeats in a row, and 10 games without a win would surely be terminal for the manager.
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    HRBryan said:
    I have been a addick since 1971 and Appleton is the 30th manager or head coach in my time so far. Let's get a few things straight- he is not the worse manager ever (I can think of about 5 others far more incompetent off the top of my head -Garner, Adkins, Craggs, Dowie, Reed, and that's without me thinking to hard  etc) and I think the SMT would be wrong to sack Apples. Madness you might say, but here are a few reasons why I think Apples is still the man for the job:

a) he has averaged over 1.4 pts a game -that is better than 12 of our last 15 managers-only JJ, Bowyer and Powell have a better record

b) people are forgetting that our run of 8 games without a win coincides with Leaburn getting injured -that, I suggest, is not a coincidence

c) this is the same manager who led us to put 3 past Wycombe, 4 past Reading, 4 past Exeter, 3 past Wigan and got a draw at table toppers Pompey- which players were in nearly all of  those games? Leaburn and Chuks -coincidence?

d) Apples is the first Charlton manager for over 12 months to have, at some point, instilled some element of resilience in the team. We had not previously been able to come back from going behind in a game for over a year, but in the games against Exeter, Blackpool, Pompey and Cheltenham we did and lost none of them. The last time we did that was the game Leaburn got crocked-again, I don't think that is a coincidence

e) I sit in the Lower West Stand and the level of knowledge/ignorance amongst some fans is stunning. When we went 2-1 down on Monday someone stood up and shouted at Apples to "...bring on a f...... striker!". But we were and are down to bare bones. With four strikers out injured who, pray, could we have brought on? Our only options was Rylah who was so nervous and poor in his debut that he had to be taken over at halftime and other was Patrick Casey who had barely passed 18 and not played in the first time before-what are people thinking? Aren't they aware of the lack of depth in our squad and our injury crisis?

f) lastly, if Apples was sacked who, with our current squad would replace him?.... Exactly! Quality managers like Darren Ferguson wouldn't even pick up the phone to us. I suspect the SMT need to come out and say it will take several transfer windows to seriousl compete. That may not be enough for a lot of addicks, but I feel that is the reality and that Apples has shown when he has a fitter squad he has delivered (see above!)

I think that post is well balanced and factual but looking at Appleton's record since he took the managers chair is forgetting one thing. I can't remember anyone on here doing cartwheels when he was appointed and most posters were distraught at his appointment but here lies the problem. Whatever manager we appoint at this level will be met with howls of derision and with no fan backing, the knives are out double quick. Nobody on here is blaming recruitment or an injury crisis, it's entirely Appleton's fault and if he hadn't insisted on playing Alfie May out wide we would have taken a healthy points total from the December games. Appleton can't win, even if he produced a miracle and got us into the play offs, our exit from those play offs would be blamed on him and he should be sacked for sending out the team in our unlucky strip. I don't know who'd they'd appoint after Appleton but the result will be the same, so what's the point of keep sacking managers, just give him some financial backing and you never know, we might get some very overdue luck. 
    But bear in mind when May was played in the centre at the start of the season he was not scoring but when he went out wide he couldn't stop scoring -so there is method in the madness!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:

My arguement was that compared to other recent managers Appleton's overall record is pretty impressive even if some fans don't accept that, or don't like his touchline style. Curbs for example seemed to rarely acknowledge any player being substituted but got amazing results-he once said he tried to be like Wenger who in the early days was not very animated (that did change), would watch games from upstairs and be calm, which he was mostly.
  • Options

Grim grim grim 
    He’s getting paid out , FairPlay , although how everyone missed it that close I’ll never know , I suppose it’s just expecting everyone to miss as usual