Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST MATCH THREAD : Charlton Athletic Vs Oxford Utd : Monday 1st January 2024 : KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    Oakster2 said:
    What was Appleton’s response during the job interview when he surely was asked how do you, like all managers have to at some point, get through an injury crisis? What’s your plan that makes you different from all the other candidates?

He was interviewed? I assumed his old mate Charlie invited him round to his Oxfordshire country pad, plugged in the Nespresso machine, and offered him the job.
  • Options
    All this match did was to expose our lack of strength in depth. Four strikers out, leaving poor Kanu to plough a lone furrow. All in all I thought the team put in a spirited performance worthy of at least a point. Based on this performance this is most definitely NOT a relegation side. I've seen plenty of those over the past 60 years and they all had the kiss of death about them. Not so with this team. In fact with three quality additions (one up front, one in midfield and one at the back), they could be transformed.
  • Options
    'To lose to a goal like that, it's not something you plan for every single week'. Michael, we literally concede a goal in the last ten minutes every single week. Maybe start planning for it.
    Who's the dickhead interviewing him? No tough questions and gives Appleton an out with everything he says 
  • Options
    Very difficult to take again did not deserve to lose , what a strike for the goal 25 yard out and right in the corner , this was just after we should have had pen when a clear foul on Hector especially as the ref had spoke to the defender seconds before about holding … but this was a young side with very little on the bench to change things in fact two 16 year olds came on .. not sure what people think  MA can do without 9 players….. again not much wrong with performance if Oxford are 5th best team in today showing not much between these sides and when they start pretending to be injured to time waste against our kids that tells you all you need to know… but again it was all about the wingers , CBT allowed his man to attack our box Edun had two men , perfect cross something CBT and T Campbell wasted time and time again 

MOM T Watson was suberb 
    Why am I not surprised that you are the first and only person to mention a possible penalty? Why is that di you think?

And defend Apples all you like, those were abysmal substitutions and that's on him.
  • Options
    I thought that they did put a shift in  but simply weren’t good enough. Tried their best but weren’t good enough. It’s as simple as that. Players need to come back from injury quickly or we need to buy some new players, especially a left back (I think Edun is a great player but in the wrong position)
  • Options
    edited January 1
    'To lose to a goal like that, it's not something you plan for every single week'. Michael, we literally concede a goal in the last ten minutes every single week. Maybe start planning for it.

Surely he should plan to prevent it if anything...🙄🤔
  • Options
    edited January 1
    Oxford were the stronger side but we matched them for long periods. In Appleton's defence there were lots of young players who shouldn't really be involved right now but have to be due to injury . And then when introducing a senior player like Fraser who can't cross a ball properly we haven't got a chance 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 1
    Modern day football is a squad game and when you have don’t have any senior attacking options on the bench you are always going to struggle. For 60 mins we played really well. Final 30 mins was attack v defence. 

Most baffling subs I have seen at Charlton for a while. Fraser/Thomas in and Watson/CBT off. 

Can’t criticise any of the players as they all put a shift in. 

Did they put a shift in? Personally thought majority looked like they couldn’t give a toss. 

CBT may as well have stayed in the dressing room at HT. All the subs basically walked onto the pitch and looked as tired as the rest within 5 minutes. 

I’m all for players being young, inexperienced etc, but bare min should be 100% and certain players get no where near that most weeks. 
    Don't agree, with all due respect. They clearly were trying but were out gunned in terms of age & experience, and quality, in many cases. Anderson worked very hard, but at this stage of his career can’t really hold his own in a game like that. (Louie Watson not coming on to replace him was a shocker). 
    And Oxford defended much better than we did. On one of the rare occasions CBT got through on the left in the second half he crossed the ball, but Oxford had about nine players back in the box, whereas we only had about three trying to get on the end of it. Cory had more success in the first half, and his early strike lead to our goal. 
    But it’s an issue of squad depth and quality. If this ownership and management don’t combine to pull the proverbial rabbit out of the hat we’re really in trouble. I don’t have much faith that they will, unfortunately.

Had backed the draw at 5/2, so was double gutted about their late winner (and predicted 1-1 in the match preview). But even after our bright start and Chem’s excellent goal, I was never very confident we’d hang on for the win. I think we just about deserved a point though.
    Michael Appleton’s bizarre substitutions did us no favours though. 
  • Options
    Isn’t it the case that the style of play is dictated by Andy Scott and the management team? You play the same style across
    all the teams and then if you need to bring youngsters in, they already know the formation/tactics.

Not sure that Appleton has any say in this which is why he is persisting with the formation regardless of the personnel. It’s what he’s been told to do. This is why a decent manager won’t come to us, the only ones who will are desperate out of work coaches who are willing to agree to play the system determined by the management team.

We seem to be trying to attract players by paying good wages but that strategy backfires when said players spend most of the time out injured. 

How come we end up with players who have been voted player of the year at their previous clubs (eg Gilbey, McKeeper) yet are shit with us?
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:
    Not all down to Apples, we have now got 4 centre forwards out FOUR, as highlighted by Curbs, the team is too young, and we are playing kids everywhere, because we have no choice, the team is knackered and dejected because of lack of experience, so not all down to him.
    We desperately need some new faces and quickly or yes things will continue on the downward spiral...
    Not all down to Apples, we have now got 4 centre forwards out FOUR, as highlighted by Curbs, the team is too young, and we are playing kids everywhere, because we have no choice, the team is knackered and dejected because of lack of experience, so not all down to him.
    We desperately need some new faces and quickly or yes things will continue on the downward spiral...
    MA is incapable of turning this around.
    No-one is, don't matter who you could get in NOW, this squad is virtually picking itself, it's whos fit today, your in, it ain't as easy as sack Apples...
    Get the point, but a little enthusiasm might help? How about tactical awareness? What about a teeny bit of game management, so we do not leak goals at the end of games? I can’t answer who those clowns might get, but i do know that our current trajectory is decline. I doubt Apples could manage any type of squad - he has zero passion or interest, it seems. 

• Options
    Appleton makes late substitutions, Charlton concede late goals…
  • Options
    We were poor and second best all over the park. Think Pep would struggle to get a result with this squad. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have no sympathy for Appleton here. The side he started with put in a better performance than i think any of us expected. But if you are going to play a fairly high press in the pissing down rain on a soggy pitch, expect that younger players (or most senior players tbf) are going to run out of gas.

The first 11 wasn't full of first team players so put on some fresh legs starting on 60 mins replacing some triers with more triers. 

Dont wait forever and then put on Fraser who is not a trier at this moment in time. 
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Nicholas said:
    Worst manager in our history.  Absolutely fucking shocking today.  They better sack that Cnut today 
    Agreed - he subbed off any threat we had and hands them the game - a joke manager 
    Threat.. CBT might as well have stayed in the dressing room at half time.
    another masterclass of apples management - our whole team is set up around a player who is showcasing his talents for about 20 minutes a game for his future suitors 
  • Options
    PWR......

mainly because I've be waiting for a for a bus for an hour. Finally discovered it was on a route diversion so didnt come down Charlton Church Lane instead just carried on merrily past Charlton Village onto the Royal Standard. 

And that folks is why I hate public transport & will always drive a car. 

Onto the football.

Wasn't anything less than I expected but very sanguine about it all as I'm reassured by Scott that we will be bringing in a load of new players & Appleton has reassured us that he is a good manager given the tools.

So.....all aboard the Apple train.
    By the sounds of it, you may be driving your car after 15 January but God knows where you are going to park it!
  • Options
    PWR......

mainly because I've be waiting for a for a bus for an hour. Finally discovered it was on a route diversion so didnt come down Charlton Church Lane instead just carried on merrily past Charlton Village onto the Royal Standard. 

And that folks is why I hate public transport & will always drive a car. 

Onto the football.

Wasn't anything less than I expected but very sanguine about it all as I'm reassured by Scott that we will be bringing in a load of new players & Appleton has reassured us that he is a good manager given the tools.

So.....all aboard the Apple train.
    You should move to closer to a train station. Problem solved. Hear Abbey Wood is quite nice 😂
  • Options
    edited January 1
    Croydon said:
    Who's the dickhead interviewing him? No tough questions and gives Appleton an out with everything he says 
    Everyone who interviews our managers/players/board, never ask searching questions, just pussyfooting around.

Why didn’t he ask about Watson not being used?

May as well not bother, shame we can’t get Kevin Nolan to do the interviews.