Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST MATCH THREAD : Charlton Athletic Vs Oxford Utd : Monday 1st January 2024 : KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    Appleton asked about injuries: he says McGrandles back mid January, Camara and Aneke back end of January.
    Which year?
  • Options
    Bedsaddick said:
    Croydon said:
    What were those subs? Indefensible.

Fraser is poison. Fuck him off asap
    He came on in the 83rd minute when we were 2-1 down and you pick him out as poison ! weird 

At no point in the second half did Frazer warm up. He came on cold  and wasnt goid enough. Watson warmed up several times as did Thomas before he came on. And Appleton suggests that Watson is the one who doesn't try.....Time to go Appleton. Watson who has played left back Boughton for Tennai Watson on the right, when Asimwe is the obvious choice. Appleton  must go.
  • Options
    Fraser is a disgrace. Puts in absolutely zero effort. He is so bad that Anderson has to play despite him being nowhere near ready for first team football. 
  • Options
    Smithy said:
    NabySarr said:
    1-1 against Oxford - Holden goes attacking and we lose to a late goal.

1-1 against Oxford - Appleton goes defensive and we lose to a late goal.

Maybe we’re just not at the required level.
    Appleton has better players available but is now on a worse run than Holden was and against weaker opposition
    The only difference between the squad Holden had in his last game and the squad Appleton currently has available is Tennai Watson.
    What about all the other games he’s taken charge of?
    Like the games he won when Leaburn, Aneke and McGrandles were fit?
    He didn’t today but he’s objectively had a much better squad than Holden and has failed miserably with it. 
  • Options
    edited January 1
    What bothers me a bit is taking CBT off if he isn't injured. As it stands he is our main threat.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    Croydon said:
    What were those subs? Indefensible.

Fraser is poison. Fuck him off asap
    He came on in the 83rd minute  when we were 2-1 down and you pick him out as poison ! weird 

Just watch him Beds when the highlights are posted for their 2nd goal he takes a step to his left towards a player who is no threat and let’s their scorer have a free shot instead of putting his body on the line. Dobson  manages to get something on it from further away and it unfortunately deflects past AMB.
    I will. That's unacceptable if he did that. 
  • Options
    No one player is responsible for the loss today, but Fraser who should be a cut above at this level, most definately is not. If management identify him as a senior pro to get us promoted from this league, then we really are fucked. He's a fringe player that today hasn't even helped the cause when a cool wise head was needed. Appleton entrusted his level of professionalism to close out the game and that trust was stamped on. No excuses for Appleton as I think he should go, but if a new manager has to play around with this same 23 man squad, he'll achieve precious little. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Would side with this but the problem is we have our first choice back 4 and holding midfielder and the defence is still the key issue
  • Options
    excuse the digression .. I saw the last 25/30 minutes of Derby v Posh, Posh won with a last last ditch goal from a home developed striker aged 21 .. the vast majority of the Posh team are in their early 20s but playing like veterans .. they scored two in the last 10 minutes .. NOW, the commentator mentioned that at least three of the team were signed from Barnet .. so I had a look through the squad info .. apart from a couple of loans, all the players were signed from L1/L2 or the Nat League, presumably signed for little money
    WHY can't we find and motivate such players ? .. what the fuck do our 'scouts' and 'development coaches' do all day ? .. how come London born and bred young footballers are smuggled away and developed by a little club like Posh, or Stevenage for that matter
    The management and ownership of our club are a disgrace, the whole structure needs a shake out, turn out and clear out. We have a very large coaching/development staff, sack the lot before they coach us into the Isthmian League .. I'll excuse the kit men

Coaching staff[edit]

RoleName
    Technical DirectorEngland Andy Scott[105]
    Head CoachEngland Michael Appleton[106]
    First Team CoachEngland Richard O’Donnell[107]
    First Team Goalkeeping CoachRepublic of Ireland Stephen Henderson
    First-Team Development CoachEngland Jon De Souza[108]
    First-Team Lead Sports ScientistEngland Ben Talbot
    First-Team DoctorEngland Toby Longwill
    Head of Physical PerformanceEngland Josh Hornby
    First-Team Head PhysiotherapistEngland Adam Coe
    First-Team PhysiotherapistHong Kong Alex Ng
    First-Team Assistant TherapistEngland Steve Jackson
    Head of Performance AnalysisEngland Brett Shaw
    First-Team Kit ManagerEngland Wayne Baldacchino
    Academy DirectorEngland Steve Avory[109]
    Academy Head of CoachingEngland Rhys Williams
    Senior Professional Development Phase Lead CoachEngland Jason Pearce
    Lead U21s CoachEngland Chris Lock
    Head of Academy Sport Science and MedicineEngland Danny Campbell
    Senior Academy ScoutEngland Bert Dawkins
    Academy Performance AnalystEngland James Parker
    Academy PhysiotherapistEngland Andriana Tsiantoula
    Kit AssistantEngland Ben Mehmet
    Kit AssistantEngland James Simmons

• Options
    Off_it said:
    I thought we played OK for periods of the game and it was an improvement on some of the previous games.

But that tells it's own story, doesn't it? We play "OK" and we're saying that's good, just looking for crumbs of comfort.

Happy New Year!
    We did. What happened was the last 25 minutes we were a bit stand offish and a second off in the challenge. Edun is a liability, so is Fraser and some of the young players are clearly not ready for the physicality of the game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Smithy said:
    Please pay off Fraser’s contract now. I got laughed at over summer for saying he wasn’t great but he’s taking the piss at this point.

No need to pay him off
    fully justified in sacking the prick 
    stepped aside for the Oxford goal scorer
    took 3 corners in quick succession- one went short one went straight out of play 3rd went knee height to nearest defender 
    the robbing twat ain’t the squads only problem but he’s shamelessly robbing a living with apples blessing as Louie Watson rots on the bench 
  • Options
    No one player is responsible for the loss today, but Fraser who should be a cut above at this level, most definately is not. If management identify him as a senior pro to get us promoted from this league, then we really are fucked. He's a fringe player that today hasn't even helped the cause when a cool wise head was needed. Appleton entrusted his level of professionalism to close out the game and that trust was stamped on. No excuses for Appleton as I think he should go, but if a new manager has to play around with this same 23 man squad, he'll achieve precious little. 
    We have too many Fraser's, such a soft touch of a team. I'd give Appleton two windows, simply because there are very few managers out there capable and we would probably end up with another one not liked by the fans. As soon it goes wrong he's on a hiding to nothing. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Nicholas said:
    Worst manager in our history.  Absolutely fucking shocking today.  They better sack that Cnut today 
    Agreed - he subbed off any threat we had and hands them the game - a joke manager 
    Threat.. CBT might as well have stayed in the dressing room at half time.
  • Options
    edited January 1
    Hope we stay up.
  • Options
    Watson has shown qualities we need and it is certain we will lose him now. I'm sure we CAN do better but will we? With the pricks in charge, probably not.
  • Options
    When should the owners minge, sorry, spokesman Methven come out and say something about this dirge?
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    I thought we played OK for periods of the game and it was an improvement on some of the previous games.

But that tells it's own story, doesn't it? We play "OK" and we're saying that's good, just looking for crumbs of comfort.

Happy New Year!
    I put in a gambling related WhatsApp group in 60mins that the Oxford goal was coming and would back on the Oxford winner. For all the good work before that we couldn’t keep the ball and were just getting camped into our half. 

Only question for me is could MA have done more, tactics, subs, motivation etc in the final 30 mins to ensure we didn’t get beat.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    1-1 against Oxford - Holden goes attacking and we lose to a late goal.

1-1 against Oxford - Appleton goes defensive and we lose to a late goal.

Maybe we’re just not at the required level.
    Appleton has better players available but is now on a worse run than Holden was and against weaker opposition
    The only difference between the squad Holden had in his last game and the squad Appleton currently has available is Tennai Watson.
    What about all the other games? 

He has Fraser also, and has had Tedic. Plus a fit Edun and a fit and in form Hector. 

And the games have been a lot easier too, even today Oxford have like 12 injuries 
  • Options
    Modern day football is a squad game and when you have don’t have any senior attacking options on the bench you are always going to struggle. For 60 mins we played really well. Final 30 mins was attack v defence. 

Most baffling subs I have seen at Charlton for a while. Fraser/Thomas in and Watson/CBT off. 

Can’t criticise any of the players as they all put a shift in. 

CBT did very little looks like he waiting to go. So Rraser sun understandable.
    Kanu sub less so.