Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST MATCH THREAD : Charlton Athletic Vs Oxford Utd : Monday 1st January 2024 : KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    edited January 1
    MarcusH26 said:
    How many do Oxford have injured? I thought someone said nine players 
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    When should the owners minge, sorry, spokesman Methven come out and say something about this dirge?
    Such as? Would it help?
  • Options
    Not sure I agree with the suggestions that the team are soft touch or don't put the effort in today. The press was very good at times, with the exception of CBT and Fraser.
  • Options
    Once again just not good enough on the day & sadly unless there is big changes its hard to see how we will turn this around 
    I don't see the club putting the money in to make the changes we need either 
    It's going to be a long sad finish to the season 😪 
  • Options
    A few random thoughts.

1) I get Appleton has been unlucky with all the injuries and absences we have. But for Christ sake try something different from this 4231 nonsense that we haven't got the players to play. Again today, Kanu -our lone forward - didnt have a hope in hell against 3 big defenders.

2) Playing Anderson over Louie Watson is just insane. I'm told by a fellow poster Anderson is playing because he gets stuck in. Well you could have fooled me - he's constantly out-muscled and a complete passenger. He does nothing apart from run around. (Compare him with Dobson today who really was getting stuck in).  Lord only knows why Appleton has got a down on Watson. 

3) In a perfect world all our 3 young players today - Kanu, Anderson & Campbell - would be nowhere near this team. Kanu worked hard but scarcely got a kick; Anderson is a complete passenger; and Campbell is just incredibly frustrating.

4) Apart from the goal, Hector played well and made some very good blocks and tackles.

5) And please don't blame Maynard Brewer for the goals. The first was Hector's fault and the second an incredible shot that took a deflection and was unsaveable.   

I don't think we are yet in serious relegation trouble - the bottom 4 are pretty bad - but we've a horrendous run of fixtures coming up and it wont take too much for us to be in trouble. And if we go down, that could well be the end of this club as we know it with everything that is going on with the ownership and ownership of the ground. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    I thought we played OK for periods of the game and it was an improvement on some of the previous games.

But that tells it's own story, doesn't it? We play "OK" and we're saying that's good, just looking for crumbs of comfort.

Happy New Year!
    I put in a gambling related WhatsApp group in 60mins that the Oxford goal was coming and would back on the Oxford winner. For all the good work before that we couldn’t keep the ball and were just getting camped into our half. 

Great you're happy then
  • Options
    We do more physicality and leaders. People moan about MA but we bringing youngsters off the bench is never good is it? The style of play isn't great its true but we don't have the manpower to do anything worthwhile. Reinforcements needed now! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A few random thoughts.

1) I get Appleton has been unlucky with all the injuries and absences we have. But for Christ sake try something different from this 4231 nonsense that we haven't got the players to play. Again today, Kanu -our lone forward - didnt have a hope in hell against 3 big defenders.

2) Playing Anderson over Louie Watson is just insane. I'm told by a fellow poster Anderson is playing because he gets stuck in. Well you could have fooled me - he's constantly out-muscled and a complete passenger. He does nothing apart from run around. (Compare him with Dobson today who really was getting stuck in).  Lord only knows why Appleton has got a down on Watson. 

3) In a perfect world all our 3 young players today - Kanu, Anderson & Campbell - would be nowhere near this team. Kanu worked hard but scarcely got a kick; Anderson is a complete passenger; and Campbell is just incredibly frustrating.

4) Apart from the goal, Hector played well and made some very good blocks and tackles.

5) And please don't blame Maynard Brewer for the goals. The first was Hector's fault and the second an incredible shot that took a deflection and was unsaveable.   

I don't think we are yet in serious relegation trouble - the bottom 4 are pretty bad - but we've a horrendous run of fixtures coming up and it wont take too much for us to be in trouble. And if we go down, that could well be the end of this club as we know it with everything that is going on with the ownership and ownership of the ground. 
    Only 6pts of relegation spots. In a battle now.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Embarrassing excuse. Oxford have more injuries than we do and had to set up differently because they have zero fit wingers 

I think I saw an Oxford fan mention it was 10 out at least. Agree it's completely embarrassing from Appleton to even mention it 
  • Options
    My only complaints were the non sensical subs. Thomas was an effort to protect a point and it immediately backfired and we are then chasing the game with a left footed centre half at right back with a right back on the bench. Then taking off CBT to bring on Casey, I mean WTF? Not a game to bring Casey on. Keep CBT up front and give that a go. Kanu didn't look as shattered as Anderson or Campbell so why not keep Kanu on and stick someone up top alongside him? And what has Watson done wrong? Shagged Apples missus? I don't care if he's going back tomorrow he should at least have come off the bench today, he is forward thinking and can pick out a pass. I thought the subs were all wrong. Apples got it wrong. He's got to go. I've zero faith in him getting us out of this league, ever.

Other than that I've no real complaints. Every one of them put in the required committment, busted every gut, tried their best but some are not good enough whilst others not experienced enough. The players were not to blame today.
    100% this - we had run out of energy by the time the subs were made and were sitting back . Bring on subs with some energy that would close the ball down. 

• Options
    edited January 1
    Bristol Rovers do the double, Oxford do the double, and we face Port Vale next.
    Oxford would have found a way to win that, that they did it with a worldy was a real tonic for Charlie Methven.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    NabySarr said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Embarrassing excuse. Oxford have more injuries than we do and had to set up differently because they have zero fit wingers 

I think I saw an Oxford fan mention it was 10 out at least. Agree it's completely embarrassing from Appleton to even mention it 
    How many of their players today from the u21 and u18squads.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    What were those subs? Indefensible.

Fraser is poison. Fuck him off asap
    Terrible corner at the end and then got the ball straight back and did same again
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Remember, we are definitely the only team that suffers injuries. 

Even with injuries, you have to play exactly the same way and go into games knowing you're going to lose. 

Appleton's law. 
  • Options
    I travel a long way to watch and have done for many years, I am near to “ that’s enough” it’s rubbish.
  • Options
    What was Appleton’s response during the job interview when he surely was asked how do you, like all managers have to at some point, get through an injury crisis? What’s your plan that makes you different from all the other candidates?

• Options
    I actually don't blame most of the players, they are either too young and inexperienced or just not good enough. I think most of them are trying, in the same way I would try but still be rubbish. Fraser and Bleckett-Taylor excepted they are hardworking professionals, albeit lacking in real ability at this level.

Injuries are an issue, I said at the beginning of December we would struggle to score many goals, although we have managed to get at least one goal with the exception of Orient, but we need more than one, sometimes two with our leaky defence.

I did not want to go down the Manger route we hsve had too many in recent years, but the decision making beggars belief. Kanu today needed support up front, when facing a big hairy arsed centre half, not to be replaced by a kid to face said defender, when we needed a goal.

It's men against boys out there but with a bit of nous we could be doing better.
  • Options
    Very difficult to take again did not deserve to lose , what a strike for the goal 25 yard out and right in the corner , this was just after we should have had pen when a clear foul on Hector especially as the ref had spoke to the defender seconds before about holding … but this was a young side with very little on the bench to change things in fact two 16 year olds came on .. not sure what people think  MA can do without 9 players….. again not much wrong with performance if Oxford are 5th best team in today showing not much between these sides and when they start pretending to be injured to time waste against our kids that tells you all you need to know… but again it was all about the wingers , CBT allowed his man to attack our box Edun had two men , perfect cross something CBT and T Campbell wasted time and time again 

MOM T Watson was suberb 
  • Options
    Remember, we are definitely the only team that suffers injuries. 

Even with injuries, you have to play exactly the same way and go into games knowing you're going to lose. 

Appleton's law. 
    Yep, no Plan B, either before a game or during a game. Try something different for once you useless prick