Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Burton Albion: Saturday 23rd December 2023 | KO 3:00pm

Comments

• Options
    BigDiddy said:
    Shit owners, Shit manager, shit squad [apart from a few] and zero expectation.

We have no bottle, despite or game management sense  - Appleton is rubbish, but which decent manager would now come to us?

There has to be an unemployed one out there somewhere.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I go to/suffer through every home game and I'm fucking furious how @SDAddick is being treated 
    How are they being treated?
  • Options
    352 would suit Alfie, and it would suit Hector as it would give him far more licence to bring the ball out.
    Wouldn't suit CBT though and that was the problem once Leaburn got injured we had nobody to hold the ball up alongside May. We also had no wing backs early on.
    Don't worry - we won't have to worry about a 352 not suiting CBT for much longer.
  • Options
    yet ANOTHER late late goal .. w t f .. when will we ever learn
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    cabbles said:
    I know everyone is fuming, but can I remind you all we’re only 3 pts off Lincoln in 9th with 2 games in hand, and 3 clear of Port Vale in 15th having played the same amount of games.  When you zoom out and look at 9-15th in the table, there’s reason to be cautiously optimistic 
    Sorry mate, games in hand mean diddly squat to Charlton.

Love your glass half full reasoning though, wish I could like as well!
  • Options
    What really annoyed me today was the fact that I normally watch expecting us to concede late on because the opposition have something and are threatening. Burton had absolutely f… all yet they still managed to score a last gasp goal. We are just so weak it is painful. 
  • Options
    Another tough watch but I thought we would see the game out. Their goal was very frustrating to watch. We had enough players in the box to defend but none was nowhere near up to doing the job. 
    Burton were quite possibly the worst team I’ve seen in years but we never looked like taking them out of the game. Hopefully we can get some better players in next month and we will see and implement. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Like many others, called 1-1 at half time. No urgency and little movement. Was so flat it felt like a training match at times. 

433 doesn't seem to be working for us, the midfield 3 lack dynamism and our goal threat is stuck on the wing. Need to go 2 up top for while and maybe switch to a back 3.  

Oddly, whilst Dobson has been one of our few standout performers, we need someone in the middle that can control the tempo and he tends to slow things down a lot at times. Fraser and Campbell aren't doing enough for me either. 

If we go 2 up top then CBT probably moves to the bench allowing us to play Edun and Asiimwe as wingbacks.

The shopping list for January requires at least 1 CB, 1 CM and 1 ST that are better than what we have. I do not hold out much hope other than a few speculative punts.

• Options
    Stig said:

I was the only one in my row, the stewards thought it would be fun to use it as a thoroughfare, 3 times they want to get past me, on the third time I told them to go back and walk through the stand, they wouldn’t be doing it it I wasn’t the only one. Didn’t let them through. 🤬
    Lovely pic of my son's, standing in front of the stairs. I was in the lower today with some friends. View wasn't any better from down there.
    And that's me sitting down  next to them, hood up and feeling really p****d off
  • Options
    I must say, this all seems very knee jerk. We are definitely on track to secure league 1 status for 5 seasons in a row. 

We edged the possession and shots taken, we also had more fans than Burton. 

Our defense is absolutely fantastic, 3 clean sheets in 21 league games because they're so overconfident and giving the other lads a chance to shine.

We have the most dangerous striker in league 1 playing out wide in his natural habitat. 

The list goes on. Only 2 losses in 15 games, wow. Tremendous, fortress Valley. We were also unlucky again ffs! Conceded so late. 

Anyway guys I think we should be more positive, Christmas on the horizon, January window coming up and I'm sure we will sign the best players in the league. 

Finally, have some patience in Appleton. Captain charisma is the man to take us forwards. Not many managers can get us playing such good football that the Valley is stunned into silence for 90 minutes.

Roll on Orient! Come on you Reds!

• Options
    Alfie as the right attacker/winger is fine if he cuts in all the time, and spends most of the match in the box RECEIVING crosses. After all Mo Salah plays in the same position on paper.

Instead so often he ended up out wide today, well away from the goal. Indeed, instead of Watson providing the width from RB, ludicrously he often ended up more central than May.
  • Options
    ValleyBen said:
    SDAddick said:
    A real boon for those only interested in the team for when they get to call them "gutless" or whatever. A great day for them.

Sorry, calling out fans is a nonsense. There is not a single fan who think this is a great day. Sure some are more pessimistic/glass half full but no.one.on here wants Charlton to lose.

I see lots of posters who go to games, pumping their money into the club and totally fed up with another pathetic season, a poor team, a poor manager and a dreadful result (again) against a dreadful opposition (again).

As Ohhahh regularly points out this is pretty much our worst running league performance ever at the same time our rivals are outperforming. It is hardly surprising fans are fed up.
    Well said, I would probably feel less bothered about yet another pathetic display if my average match day spend was less then a tenner watching in my cozy living room on the sofa with a cold beer. 

I will be there on boxing day, going again but not going to apologise for my opinion that we have a squad of weak bottlers and maybe a manager who cannot see his own tactical failings. 
    My match day spend is less than a tenner and I can’t attend due to a combination of distance and disability. But I have to tell you I am still bloody fuming with the best of you at the state of the decline of our beloved club. 
  • Options
    MrBurns said:
    The board need to invest in the team, we can't keep sacking managers. They need to stop making promises and let their actions do the talking. 
    Wouldn't want Applelton to be in charge should we get better players. We'd buy an AM and he'd play them at left back. Playing May wide right is football crime
  • Options
    At about 70 minutes I looked at my phone and said to my wife ’that’ll finish 1-1 then’
    No surprise there then.
    Now time to get back to enjoy the approaching Christmas because Charlton is the gift that doesn’t give anymore.

• Options
    We have two winnable games coming up which we have to win. The January business needs to be early, not on deadline day. I can't see either happening.
    We say that after every game. Truth is that this league is shit and we are worse than than the best teams and can't even beat the real shit ones.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BigDiddy said:
    Croydon said:
    Anyone seen a replay of their goal? How did it just fall to a completely unmarked man in the box?
    Shit defenders, who could not be arsed to defend 
    They were all ball watching….five of them….not one with nous to look around and pick up anyone….
  • Options
    limeygent said:
    BigDiddy said:

We have no bottle, despite or game management sense  - Appleton is rubbish, but which decent manager would now come to us?

Yes. Lee Bowyer.
  • Options
    limeygent said:
    BigDiddy said:

Steve Cooper is available……
  • Options
    We could make excuses for Garner and Holden as they were rookie managers who weren't fully supported by the board in the transfer windows. Appleton however is an experienced lower league manager - yet can't get a tune out of a group of players who decent if not great. His formation and team choice is baffling, his style of play is non-existent, he's failed to even get the basics right when it comes to defending set pieces and seeing a game out and is incapable of getting the team to build on a lead, close other teams down and play on the front foot with energy and commitment. He stands on the touchline motionlessness and that lack of passion is reflected in our dire slow ponderous play. I wasn't happy when we appointed him and have no faith in him getting us above mid table even if has a couple of windows.

Just thoroughly fed up with this club.
    Nail….on…..head
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    We’re more likely to be in a relegation battle than a playoffs battle, on current form. 
    We’re a different team without Chuks, sadly. Unless there are some quality signings in the pipeline the season’s over. In fact, cancel that, the season’s over either way. And who wants to sign for a club eleven or twelve points outside the playoffs? 🙁
    Do you ever think that is/was a possibility ? Just more Andy Scott Bullshit
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:
    I think we need to give Appleton a window. We can't keep sacking managers. It doesn't work.
    No - give him the boot
    He is not the problem.