Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Burton Albion: Saturday 23rd December 2023 | KO 3:00pm

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    Stig said:
    Oakster2 said:
    If Appleton is the answer, what's the question?
    An apple weighs 100 grams. If I fill my bath with ten thousand apples. What have I got?
    Cider?
  • Options
    ValleyBen said:
    Leuth said:
    ValleyBen said:
    Just no fight in this team other then Dobson, May & maybe Jones. 
    It isn't as simple as that. There's fight there in most of them (with the exception of some of the wingers), but the mentality is not right. They drop deep, they don't make good decisions 
    I am so sick of seeing our players back out of tackles, back out of headers, we come undone against any team with even a tiny bit of physicality. 
    I haven’t noticed us as being the team of bottlers…..that you’re suggesting.
    It’s possibly the one thing we have (on most occasions anyway), that we can say is acceptable and that is our competitiveness.
    Now…….whether or not we are much good at it is another thing altogether!
    Where I think there's room for more courage is with forward passes (not booting it up there-that doesn't count)
  • Options
    It's got to the stage where I honestly cannot see anything ever improving.
    Everything about the club is flat and depressing.
    It's not just players, it's not just the manager, it's not just bad luck, it's not just the never ending injuries, it's a combination of everything.

The Club needs a huge lift and that lift wasn't provided by the latest takeover.
    The only action that I can see that might provide the required lift, is to re-appoint Curbs, and in retrospect, I think we should have done it many years ago, rather than waste time on the likes of Fraye, Riga, Holden etc etc etc.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    se9addick said:
    It's not just players, it's not just the manager, it's not just bad luck, it's not just the never ending injuries, it's a combination of everything.

The Club needs a huge lift and that lift wasn't provided by the latest takeover.
    The only action that I can see that might provide the required lift, is to re-appoint Curbs, and in retrospect, I think we should have done it many years ago, rather than waste time on the likes of Fraye, Riga, Holden etc etc etc.
    I don’t think Curbishley could do much with this squad. Frankly, I don’t think Pep could either. 

Tactically i think Curbs would be a good bet...
  • Options
    13th January- probably the first game when parking restrictions will kick in.

13th January - visit of P'Boro in good form.

13th January- possibility of losing CBT but also missing the dynamo that is Dobbo.

13th January- What are the odds of the players being booed off the pitch and calls for the gaffer's head ? 

Oh and probably our lowest gate for many a year - especially poignant as it's the Memorial match.

Welcome to 2024 at The Valley. 
    13th January 1951- Charlton fourth from bottom of the top flight div1 looks bad.  Hans Jepson scores the winner on his debut Charlton Ath 2 -1 Sheff Wed.  Charlton start moving up the league to safety.  Keep the faith. 
    Is Jepson available on a free?
  • Options
    KettsJohn said:
    Woke up with a stiff headache and had time to gather my thoughts properly.

Assuming CBT and Dobson are off. I'd sack Appleton and get rid of every player that isn't Alfie May and build a whole new team. Maybe keep a few of the decent players.

The only one that isn't a gutless loser and is actually worthy of being a Charlton player is Alfie. 

Even if for whatever reason CBT and Dobbo stay I'd still sack Appleton. On par with Adkins this bloke, actually Adkins is way better as he has a credible CV with promotions that Appleton will never achieve.

92nd minute, last kick of the game and the bloke doesn't even send his goalie and last defender up to try and win the game. I'd rather us have lost in those circumstances than draw how we did. Or is this fraud happy with his uninspiring draw record. 

Based on this I am looking forward to the vlog Braziliance! 
    I am not doing a vlog mate, sorry. 

Not sure if I'll be doing one until at least the new year but even then, I'm not sure anymore 
    Never give up, never surrender!
  • Options
    Really getting pissed off with these late goals,it has been happening for years,you can see them coming no matter how crap the team we are playing.Hector and Jones won everything outside the area,as soon as we face a free kick or a corner,we are in the shit,every time,No Stockley or Innis to get the ball away,teams do their homework on us.CBT was non existent 1st half,a guy named Caprice just closed off his route down the outside and he just could not cope.Second half a bit better.We had no strength in midfield,yes some decent footballers,but you need strong no nonsence ball winners to unsettle the opposition,we dont have this bar Dobson.Until we toughen up we are going nowhere.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What bugs me is when they are pushing for an equaliser and forcing a few corners we bring everyone back including the midgets that are May and Tyreece Campbell. They are not going to get their head on anything and it also makes the box too crowded as the oppo can bring everyone up bar one and the goalie. It means more confusion is created and there is the chance the ref won’t see a foul against us as he can’t see everything. I’d leave May and Campbell up meaning they have to leave a couple more defenders back in case and then if the ball does come out we might have the chance of doing something instead of it coming straight back in. It’s always baffled me.
    There were posts about this the other week. Apparently it’s something to do with zonal marking.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Curbs could, should, would run in the opposite direction beating any Usain Bolt record on the way!

Why the fuck would a successful wealthy man in retirement, with a relatively safe footballing reputation, want to involve himself in the deluded chaos we continue to find ourselves in?

I would question his sanity, along with most of the footballing world outside of the secure little bubble we all exist in. It is getting to a point where NOTHING is salvageable in this mess.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    The away following yesterday was a throw-back to the early 80s. It might even be the lowest I've ever seen at The Valley for a proper fixture. Anyone know what the figure was? 
    Exeter on 3 October?
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    The more you watch their goal, the more errors you notice. It's just an utter calamity:
    • Almost a double-contest from TWatson/TCampbell for the header - they should know who is picking up who.
    • TCampbell being completely mismatched against the CB contesting the ball -  why is this not Hector or Jones?
    • Hector starting up matched up against their CB, and not contesting the header - why risk not contesting it?
    • Hector dropping back to leave TCampbell to try and win the header - one of our CBs needs to do this in our small team
    • Hector failing to make the block from the hooked mini pass for the goal - it looked harder to do what he did
    • Edun playing the other CB onside for the goal - why drop back like this?
    It's just shocking. I blame them as a unit, but there's individual decision-making errors here. It's all good playing well for ~90 minutes, but the game is played closer to 100 and mistakes come in once again from the defensive unit and from individuals. We've been terrible at the back all season and it's another waste of our goalscorers when we can't defend the basics like this.

Not good enough.
  • Options
    Plus leaving a player unmarked at the far post
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Oakster2 said:
    An apple weighs 100 grams. If I fill my bath with ten thousand apples. What have I got?

• Options
    All I know is that the fact that everyone knows how fragile we are in terms of letting teams back into games is just embarrassing now
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Oakster2 said:
    Cider?
    A pissed off wife 
  • Options
    I wasn't at the game, but I think things are pretty clear now, with regards to the makeup of the team. It seams that within the squad, Appleton is happy with his back four, the current grouping have only been altered due to injury. 
    The midfield, it has absolutely no bite whatsoever, Dobson is the only one who puts a tackle in and to ask Fraser, Campbell or Watson to stop the opponents playing is stretching it. 
    Up front, and as we all know, this is the biggest failing, not only are we playing without a centre forward but any of the three up there do not retain or hold the ball up, meaning the opposition can get the ball back at us pretty quickly, and when we are trying to hold on to a lead, retaining the ball up front is essential. 
    As for Alfie May playing out wide, I am not convinced that gets the best out of him but then he was pretty ineffectual when playing in the centre forward role. 
    As for Appleton, I don't see that replacing him solves anything, whoever comes in would still have the problems mentioned above and those problems will only be solved by the board, hopefully, not a new manager. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:

I would have thought a Rolls Royce defender should be winning the ball there 🤷🏻‍♂️
    We are constantly like a team of 10 year olds, all attracted to the ball and all ball watching.
    2 Burton players wide & unmarked, one of them scored and we could all feel it coming from about 70 minutes, which is when I said it was going to happen again.

• Options
    Croydon said:

I would have thought a Rolls Royce defender should be winning the ball there 🤷🏻‍♂️
    We are constantly like a team of 10 year olds, all attracted to the ball and all ball watching.
    2 Burton players wide & unmarked, one of them scored and we could all feel it coming from about 70 minutes, which is when I said it was going to happen again.

Pretty insulting to most well drilled teams of 10 year olds. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I’d seriously like to discuss what people see as the cause of the conceding of that goal. It’s one of many examples of our atrocious marking over this season. It doesn’t necessarily seem to me that the defenders are the problem. You need midfielders to be able to defend too.
    On this occasion I think 18 is guilty of the ultimate ineptitude but in other games it’s someone else.
    Do people agree or disagree that it comes down to 18 on this occasion?
    18 is a defender, not that you'd know it 
    Yes, you’re right. I don’t know it. I admit that I don’t really know who half of these fools are. That doesn’t mean that I don’t know a thing or two about defending though.
    This only makes it worse. As a defender he should be marking better, or if he thinks he can catch him offside he should be communicating with 17 to get him to push up. He doesn’t even seem to understand himself what went wrong. Will he, 17 and the manager be having a discussion this. I don’t think they do because whether or not I know or care to learn their names is irrelevant. I know that they keep getting basic defending wrong.
    The entire line is up apart from 17, if you want to play the numbers game.

How can you blame the right back when the entire defensive line is on the same wavelength, apart from one player: the left back?

Maybe you’re right and the right back could’ve assumed his teammate would’ve gone walk about and as a result, dropped too. But that’s not what you’re meant to do.

The right back has his hands in the air because he says his bloke is offside. The left back has his head in his hands because he knows he fucked up and he’s the reason his teammate’s bloke is onside.

Also have a look at the centre backs who are giving the left back an earful after they realise he’s the reason they’re not keeping a clean sheet today.
    I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said there. I would just prefer to defend more deeply in these situations and leave less space behind the defensive line.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I don’t think Curbishley could do much with this squad. Frankly, I don’t think Pep could either. 

It’s true that when you see Hodgson still doing it you could ask why not? 
    I don’t think he wants to.
    If we were to go back to anyone, I’d go back to Bowyer. He too loves the club and he’s succeeded before.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Well he's watched enough of Charlton over the last few years to be able to recognise a squad with weaknesses. The key would be, does he genuinely see any alternative ways to play with what is at the manager's disposal?
    Serious point, can you see ANY manager with a successful reputation, from an equal sized club, coming to Charlton, for lower league money. We are doomed on that front unless the owners do a Wrexham, or Ipswich and throw whatever it costs to achieve success.