Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Burton Albion: Saturday 23rd December 2023 | KO 3:00pm

Comments

• Options
    It was just unremarkable to lose it again - there was only 1 team that were going to score after to 87th minute - same scared approach - at least we didn’t try and keep it in the corner flag with 8mins to play like the Cambridge game - but that’s about the only positive I can find !!
  • Options
    I work 12hr nights, and currently am working 12 straight over Christmas. I'd still normally get up and watch a stream of the game but today my alarm went off and I thought "there's no point" and went back to sleep. I'm officially done with this season I think.

We have a few (very few) decent players. But most are poor, especially when it comes to their football intelligence. But everything about the team, the players, management, coaching and recruitment is just off and has been for years now. Nothing is going to improve without huge changes which I can't see happening anytime soon. 
  • Options
    Season over good night 
  • Options
    I think we need to give Appleton a window. We can't keep sacking managers. It doesn't work.
    But it's not Appletons window is it ? Scott is driving whatever recruitment there will be but lets be sensible here, the idea that we will bring in even a couple of decent signings is laughable. Scott is full of media savvy shit.
  • Options
    Is it true Dobbo is out of the Orient game.. 5 bookings? If so another disappointment beckons. 
    He not played well
    fir a while now either .. don’t think it’s a bad thing 
    Imbecile 
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:
    I think we need to give Appleton a window. We can't keep sacking managers. It doesn't work.
    No - give him the boot
    He is not the problem.
    Yes it's the disinterested wankers who appointed him and 'run' the club who are the problem. He's still a shit manager though 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
  • Options
    I don't know why we bother with this thread, it's the same story every bloody week. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    NabySarr said:
    BigDiddy said:
    No - give him the boot
    He is not the problem.
    He probably isn’t but I’m seeing very little evidence that he is going to be the solution. If we are going to invest and rebuild over the next 2 windows do you really trust Appleton to be the manager for that? 
    That is a very good question tbf.
    However, Rodwell and Scott need to give him two windows to see what he is made of and let him bring in HIS players.
    If this mob are not going to break the bank we are always going to have managers of limited ability and success rate.

• Options
    We have two winnable games coming up which we have to win. The January business needs to be early, not on deadline day. I can't see either happening.
    We’ve just had 2 winnable games at home and dropped 4 points., my expectations are low, very low.
    This,

I said at the start of the month that to be getting anywhere near the top 6 we had to win 5 out of our next 7 games. We've drawn 3 out of 3, 2 being at home to teams below us & both times we were leading.

If they weren't "winnable" I don't know what is. 
  • Options
    I've still got the fucking hump
    over today's performance. 
    But I've been warned not to use the c word to describe how I feel. 
    So as I don't want to upset the mods  I shall just call the team
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasakers
    Do you mean wankers Blackpool? That's not on the naughty list IIRC ;)
  • Options
    We’ve won 7 games all against teams in the bottom nine. No wins against anybody in the top ten. But don’t worry loads being spent in January.
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    philcafc said:
    11 points from both the Play-Off and relegation places. Hard to believe that our season is dead with it not half way through yet but that's how it looks.
    Season not over. We still have relegationtp worry about. To avoid that we need to win more games than we draw, we are nor doing that at the moment. Promotion thus season with this squad always was a long shot relegation is not.
    We aren't getting relegated. 

Burton were utterly dreadful and even they aren't in the bottom 4. We would actively have to try losing every week to go down. 
    Millwall team of 1996… “hold my beer”
    Is that the team we beat in the snow that then went from being top (or close to it) to getting relegated.

That thought has brightend my evening. Every cloud......
  • Options
    801912601 said:
    50 plus years of supporting my local club and been through many more lows than highs and this is as bad as it’s ever been on the playing side. No confidence we can hold onto a lead, no confidence we can defend a corner or free kick near our box and starting to fear this isn’t going to change any time soon.

If CBT had any sort of football brain we could/ should have been three up in the second half but no he can’t see when to keep the ball, when to pass, when to shoot or when to cross the ball. Watson comes on, starts well and then tries a stupid little flick pass in centre midfield, loses the ball and fouls his man. In comes the free kick, we have three players who can’t make a decent challenge and they score from a bloke unmarked in our six yard box because Eden has switched off and is playing too deep again.

One positive today was the performance by Kanu - he’s come back Amanda from his Southend loan.

God it’s difficult to feel anything positive about Charlton at the mo but I’ll be back on New Year’s Day because Charlton is in my blood and I am Charlton till I die
    Agree with everything you say apart from the bit about Kanu. I thought today he showed that he's still quite a way off the required standard we need 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SDAddick said:
    Chunes said:
    SDAddick said:
    SDAddick said:
    A real boon for those only interested in the team for when they get to call them "gutless" or whatever. A great day for them.

Sorry, calling out fans is a nonsense. There is not a single fan who think this is a great day. Sure some are more pessimistic/glass half full but no.one.on here wants Charlton to lose.

I see lots of posters who go to games, pumping their money into the club and totally fed up with another pathetic season, a poor team, a poor manager and a dreadful result (again) against a dreadful opposition (again).

As Ohhahh regularly points out this is pretty much our worst running league performance ever at the same time our rivals are outperforming. It is hardly surprising fans are fed up.
    I absolutely agree about that today, but there are some on here who literally only post when we have a poor result. It is not their fault, and I didn't say it was. But it has been noteworthy for weeks if not months that some almost celebrate the bad results and are quiet about the good ones. And that is what I find baffling. 
    Honestly, with all politeness, I think you need to pipe down a bit here. You don't get it. Having overseas fans is fantastic but it's a hobby for you at the end of the day. Growing up in SE London, working class, your football team is unexplainable. I mean you didn't get why losing to the Gills was a big deal. You're so welcome as a fan but as the same time you have to have a hint of deference and to be lecturing us on how to support our team is ridiculous. 
    I'm not lecturing on how to support a team, I'm pointing out how people post on this forum. 

You're absolutely right, I didn't grow up working class in SE7. And I can't help or change that. But how many trips to the Valley, or away days, do I have to do until I get a day? How much time spent on here? How many times waking up at 6am? It's not the same, but it's not like I'm new here either. 

You think I don't know that Gillingham is close? Or that it's a "derby?" Any point I made about that game was simply because it was the cup and the league matters more. Maybe that's a culture difference, maybe that's an age difference. But it's particularly ironic given how many times down the years I've heard "Gillingham is a derby for them but not for us." 

You can gatekeep all you want. You can call me less of a fan, and you can LOL all my posts, but it doesn't change my feelings for the club. And I'm not going anywhere. And frankly, that's because I value so many of you on here, both for footballing and non-footballing reasons. BY THE WAY CHUNES, THAT INCLUDES YOU! Because for as much as I disagree with you and your pessimism, I still read all your posts because I think you're still very thoughtful and grounded in reality. Ironically, I wasn't talking about you because you're here rain and shine. And I'm not talking about someone like a golfie because golfie is always miserable and you can set your watch by that. 

I'll say one last thing: there have been a lot of threads on here that I have loved down the years, but in the last couple years the Autism thread has really helped me understand both my dad and my friends on the spectrum. And I value ALL of you for it and for creating such a wonderful community. 

What I'm trying to say is fuck you, and I love all of you, even when I can't stand you. 
    OMG
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    SDAddick said:
    ross1 said:
    Surely we will not be getting MA choice of players but Scott's choice, that way, when MA goes and is replaced, the style of play will be decided by Scott who will make sure the new head coach will play the way he wants with the players brought in to play that way
    That is the model of ours and other clubs, yes.
    I think it's supposed to be the model now. 

It either hasn't been the model, or hasn't been done well enough, in recent years. 

In the summer we clearly recruited for a 3-5-2, and Holden switched to a 4-3-3 in like the second or third game. And then we brought in Apples who plays 4-2-3-1. And as such, we don't have enough FB cover, especially solid defensive fullbacks, and we don't have a natural right winger.

By my count we've started: May, TC, Tedic, Leaburn, Kanu, and Rylah at RW in the league. CC has started there in the cup but not sure about the league. We've basically played all of our attackers except Chuks and CBT on the right, which is absolutely the sign of a lack of joined up thinking. 
    Disagree, think we recruited for a 4-3-3. That’s the formation we played throughout pre season. Then we got tonked by Aberdeen and Holden panicked, started the season 3-5-2 against Orient.

Edun and Tennai have historically mostly played traditional full back roles in their careers. I think we were recruited to played right back and left back, not wing back.

Appleton was brought in because he plays 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 which gels with the recruitment strategy.

And if we were going for three centre backs as the primary formation, you’d think we’d have signed more than just Jones to add to Hector, Ness and Thomas.
    I've seen enough of Edun now to know we've signed yet another dud. 
    Neither full-backs do it for me. They look a downgrade on Egbo and Sessegnon and no better than Sean Clare. 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Chunes said:
    SDAddick said:
    SDAddick said:
    A real boon for those only interested in the team for when they get to call them "gutless" or whatever. A great day for them.

Sorry, calling out fans is a nonsense. There is not a single fan who think this is a great day. Sure some are more pessimistic/glass half full but no.one.on here wants Charlton to lose.

I see lots of posters who go to games, pumping their money into the club and totally fed up with another pathetic season, a poor team, a poor manager and a dreadful result (again) against a dreadful opposition (again).

As Ohhahh regularly points out this is pretty much our worst running league performance ever at the same time our rivals are outperforming. It is hardly surprising fans are fed up.
    I absolutely agree about that today, but there are some on here who literally only post when we have a poor result. It is not their fault, and I didn't say it was. But it has been noteworthy for weeks if not months that some almost celebrate the bad results and are quiet about the good ones. And that is what I find baffling. 
    Honestly, with all politeness, I think you need to pipe down a bit here. You don't get it. Having overseas fans is fantastic but it's a hobby for you at the end of the day. Growing up in SE London, working class, your football team is unexplainable. I mean you didn't get why losing to the Gills was a big deal. You're so welcome as a fan but as the same time you have to have a hint of deference and to be lecturing us on how to support our team is ridiculous. 
    I'm not lecturing on how to support a team, I'm pointing out how people post on this forum. 

You're absolutely right, I didn't grow up working class in SE7. And I can't help or change that. But how many trips to the Valley, or away days, do I have to do until I get a day? How much time spent on here? How many times waking up at 6am? It's not the same, but it's not like I'm new here either. 

You think I don't know that Gillingham is close? Or that it's a "derby?" Any point I made about that game was simply because it was the cup and the league matters more. Maybe that's a culture difference, maybe that's an age difference. But it's particularly ironic given how many times down the years I've heard "Gillingham is a derby for them but not for us." 

You can gatekeep all you want. You can call me less of a fan, and you can LOL all my posts, but it doesn't change my feelings for the club. And I'm not going anywhere. And frankly, that's because I value so many of you on here, both for footballing and non-footballing reasons. BY THE WAY CHUNES, THAT INCLUDES YOU! Because for as much as I disagree with you and your pessimism, I still read all your posts because I think you're still very thoughtful and grounded in reality. Ironically, I wasn't talking about you because you're here rain and shine. And I'm not talking about someone like a golfie because golfie is always miserable and you can set your watch by that. 

I'll say one last thing: there have been a lot of threads on here that I have loved down the years, but in the last couple years the Autism thread has really helped me understand both my dad and my friends on the spectrum. And I value ALL of you for it and for creating such a wonderful community. 

What I'm trying to say is fuck you, and I love all of you, even when I can't stand you. 

Only thing that miffs me mate is why Charlton, fair play. I'd have snuck off to a more glamorous side like Stoke City or Preston North End a long time ago, 

Legend 

• Options
    13th January- probably the first game when parking restrictions will kick in.

13th January - visit of P'Boro in good form.

13th January- possibility of losing CBT but also missing the dynamo that is Dobbo.

13th January- What are the odds of the players being booed off the pitch and calls for the gaffer's head ? 

Oh and probably our lowest gate for many a year - especially poignant as it's the Memorial match.

Welcome to 2024 at The Valley. 
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    philcafc said:
    11 points from both the Play-Off and relegation places. Hard to believe that our season is dead with it not half way through yet but that's how it looks.
    Season not over. We still have relegationtp worry about. To avoid that we need to win more games than we draw, we are nor doing that at the moment. Promotion thus season with this squad always was a long shot relegation is not.
    We aren't getting relegated. 

Burton were utterly dreadful and even they aren't in the bottom 4. We would actively have to try losing every week to go down. 
    Millwall team of 1996… “hold my beer”
    Is that the team we beat in the snow that then went from being top (or close to it) to getting relegated.

That thought has brightend my evening. Every cloud......
    Here to help 😁
  • Options
    Croydon said:

I would have thought a Rolls Royce defender should be winning the ball there 🤷🏻‍♂️
    Now now, even Rolls Royces break down, sometimes 18 times or more over the course of the year 
  • Options
    13th January- probably the first game when parking restrictions will kick in.

13th January - visit of P'Boro in good form.

13th January- possibility of losing CBT but also missing the dynamo that is Dobbo.

13th January- What are the odds of the players being booed off the pitch and calls for the gaffer's head ? 

Oh and probably our lowest gate for many a year - especially poignant as it's the Memorial match.

Welcome to 2024 at The Valley. 
    🥹…but could all be so desperately true