Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Burton Albion: Saturday 23rd December 2023 | KO 3:00pm

Comments

• Options
    Season was over when we went out of the Two-Bob Cup....and I'm not joking.

Might even be worth losing the next six, so we can at least have the interest of a relegation scrap. 

Those players made no proper effort today and I include Burton in that....time-wasting from minute one. For professional sportsmen to serve up that dross....shameful. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Croydon said:

I would have thought a Rolls Royce defender should be winning the ball there 🤷🏻‍♂️
    Yeah, cos you can tell so much from a still image. The desperation to blame Hector for anything and everything when he's been our best player for at least a month. I see Dobson in attendance too. Why didn't he stop the goal eh? Only Edun is at fault here, that is just very offside without him being dozy (for the second home game running)
    Tbf, Hector was genuinely good today for at least 85 minutes, as were  most of the defense, still trying to figure out what went wrong 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Croydon said:

I would have thought a Rolls Royce defender should be winning the ball there 🤷🏻‍♂️
    Yeah, cos you can tell so much from a still image. The desperation to blame Hector for anything and everything when he's been our best player for at least a month. I see Dobson in attendance too. Why didn't he stop the goal eh? Only Edun is at fault here, that is just very offside without him being dozy (for the second home game running)
    Don't take it so personally.

Unless he's family?
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Croydon said:

Tbf, Hector was genuinely good today for at least 85 minutes, as were  most of the defense, still trying to figure out what went wrong 
    Watson/Tedic lost the first header, someone wasn't strong enough to the second ball, Hector and Dobson came across to try and block the shot and it somehow squirmed through to a guy who should have been offside if Edun had pushed out
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Leuth said:
    Croydon said:

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/13036958/charlton-1-1-burton-albion-league-one-highlights

Some moving pictures for you. Why hasn't he won that challenge? 
  • Options
    Bore fest, wish I never went to be honest - could see that equaliser coming all game. We don’t kill games off, no one wants to take a risk and it’s just useless possession half the time.

One thing I will say is Kanu for his age and experience done well.
  • Options
    i said a few weeks ago i couldn't see us getting many points before the window since chucks and leaburn got injured but i thought we'd just have enough to get past burton - however, with 20 minutes to go i knew it was going to end 1-1. The squad isn't good enough but apples is certainly not getting the most out of it - may in the hole and chem campbell out wide was surely more logical but its the boring, boring style of football that is the worst thing - i hate the 3 up top nonsense and i hate the pass it round the back nonsense - maybe i just hate modern football and apples is probably the least inspiring manager we have ever had - a truly drab individual with a drab managerial career and a pair of oversized ridiculous clown boots - i'd happily see the manager and the whole squad go other than may, dobson and possibly jones  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2023
    Still hoping for better in 2024, but without belief, or being given reason to believe as yet, that it will be. I'm not expecting transfer activity in January to transform this season, but we so desperately need a good one to lift our spirits.
  • Options
    Still reckon their goal was offside.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Leuth said:
    Croydon said:

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/13036958/charlton-1-1-burton-albion-league-one-highlights

The guy's hooked a leg at it as he's come in to make the challenge and it's gone through his legs or something, just pure bad luck. He was the only one coming in to try and do anything about it. Should he have dived in and potentially given away a penalty? 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Saying Gillingham isn't a Derby is ridiculous, it isn't close to us v Millwall or Palace but it is a Derby still and it matters to people like me who live near Gillingham, all the blokes who are currently abandoning their premier league clubs whose grounds they've never been in to support Chatham Town will also claim allegiance to Gillingham when it suits them and start pissing me off. 

That performance farted out at Priestfield was an utter disgrace and unfortunately we've all seen plenty of them over the last 15 years and more. It was the same today however Burton managed to somehow be less competitive and play with less purpose and energy than us for most of the game apart from their left back whose delivery was beautiful all game. 
    Their right back was a bit of a terrier too. Kept CBT quiet for most of the game. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Anyway, the main reason we didn't win wasn't one scramble going against us, it was that we should have been multiple goals up, but certain players weren't interested in getting us a second goal 
    OK, who were those "certain players" in your opinion?
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Chunes said:
    SDAddick said:
    SDAddick said:
    A real boon for those only interested in the team for when they get to call them "gutless" or whatever. A great day for them.

Sorry, calling out fans is a nonsense. There is not a single fan who think this is a great day. Sure some are more pessimistic/glass half full but no.one.on here wants Charlton to lose.

I see lots of posters who go to games, pumping their money into the club and totally fed up with another pathetic season, a poor team, a poor manager and a dreadful result (again) against a dreadful opposition (again).

As Ohhahh regularly points out this is pretty much our worst running league performance ever at the same time our rivals are outperforming. It is hardly surprising fans are fed up.
    I absolutely agree about that today, but there are some on here who literally only post when we have a poor result. It is not their fault, and I didn't say it was. But it has been noteworthy for weeks if not months that some almost celebrate the bad results and are quiet about the good ones. And that is what I find baffling. 
    Honestly, with all politeness, I think you need to pipe down a bit here. You don't get it. Having overseas fans is fantastic but it's a hobby for you at the end of the day. Growing up in SE London, working class, your football team is unexplainable. I mean you didn't get why losing to the Gills was a big deal. You're so welcome as a fan but as the same time you have to have a hint of deference and to be lecturing us on how to support our team is ridiculous. 
    Ridiculous comments. Anyone who is willing to put any of their time in to support this team, from wherever they are in the world, is just as entitled to their view as anyone else. 
    yes but also needs to realise he may have a different perspective so shouldn't be lecturing  
  • Options
    Not even going to bother to say anything about that game.

But rather worrying to see Alfie May in tears at the end. What was that all about? 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Croydon said:
    Leuth said:
    Croydon said:

The guy's hooked a leg at it as he's come in to make the challenge and it's gone through his legs or something, just pure bad luck. He was the only one coming in to try and do anything about it. Should he have dived in and potentially given away a penalty? 
    I think he should have been stronger there and got contact on the ball. I'm not saying it's solely his fault, but he could have done better imo. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very pissed off.
  • Options
    I'll tell you one thing, that Joe Powell is a player! He's more or less who I expected Fraser to be. I'd deffo take him in this side, thought he was the man of the match and everything seem to come through him.

• Options
    edited December 2023

Unbeaten in the league since October.

• Options
    Charlton pathetic 
  • Options
    Fraser was not effective today but replacing him with currently out of form T Campbell was a mistake. Anderson or even Aslimwe would've worked better imo. One promising aspect was Kanu's build up play. This kid is promising!
    May made several runs but not seen by the players in possession. 
    I think we wave goodbye to CBT and possibly Dobbo. Question is can we replace them with better players?
  • Options
    For the record Hector was beyond  brilliant for all but that goal where he inexplicably pulls up in the challenge where a block and bit of force was required .
    i would have still had him as man of the match in spite of that monster faux pas at the end 
    Lloyd Jones won it 
  • Options
    Is there a club with less atmosphere , duller than the dullest dullsville in dullard town 
    That was dead there today and the ground flooded with apathy at the end .
    my 11 year old sat and watched some rugby on my phone most of the game wtf I’ve never seen rugby on in my house ever little Cnut but come the end I was jealous .

Saw Peter Burrowes in the Vista Lounge and as I always do, like the 13 year old that I  am, said his name in a nasally way just like he used to when reporting on LBC and got a nod back from him.
    before the game had a quick chat with Bob Bolder and John Humphrey I told them they were Charlton royalty and shouldn’t have to watch this bunch of shit cnuts .

as the ref twatted around and our game once again kicked off a few mins after 3pm I shouted out ‘get on with it, no one wants to be here ‘ and I’m just the other side of where Andy Scott is and he turned around pissing himself laughing …..cos he knew it was fucking True !!

Roads were quiet , which was a result .
    always good to read on here and you realise that there are other insane fans of differing levels of mental ness , we are not alone .

anyway all time highs of hatred for Charlton , good times 

on to the nearest league team to where we live on Boxing Day.  I didn’t want to go but the kids do , pricks will regret it come the end .
    Re the paragraph and Scott, you should have then gave him some verbal.
  • Options
    If Appleton is the answer, what's the question?
  • Options
    A total bore. And, I could see that coming. We were shit all game apart from the goal and the last minute equaliser just had to happen. Absolute fucking dross.