Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Burton Albion: Saturday 23rd December 2023 | KO 3:00pm

Comments

• Options
    Terrible game Terrible result 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    But when he has played central he gets crowded out because we don't have the right player to play with him!
  • Options
    We will nowhere with this manager .His record is proof. 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    se9addick said:
    Chunes said:
    SDAddick said:
    SDAddick said:
    A real boon for those only interested in the team for when they get to call them "gutless" or whatever. A great day for them.

Sorry, calling out fans is a nonsense. There is not a single fan who think this is a great day. Sure some are more pessimistic/glass half full but no.one.on here wants Charlton to lose.

I see lots of posters who go to games, pumping their money into the club and totally fed up with another pathetic season, a poor team, a poor manager and a dreadful result (again) against a dreadful opposition (again).

As Ohhahh regularly points out this is pretty much our worst running league performance ever at the same time our rivals are outperforming. It is hardly surprising fans are fed up.
    I absolutely agree about that today, but there are some on here who literally only post when we have a poor result. It is not their fault, and I didn't say it was. But it has been noteworthy for weeks if not months that some almost celebrate the bad results and are quiet about the good ones. And that is what I find baffling. 
    Honestly, with all politeness, I think you need to pipe down a bit here. You don't get it. Having overseas fans is fantastic but it's a hobby for you at the end of the day. Growing up in SE London, working class, your football team is unexplainable. I mean you didn't get why losing to the Gills was a big deal. You're so welcome as a fan but as the same time you have to have a hint of deference and to be lecturing us on how to support our team is ridiculous. 
    Ridiculous comments. Anyone who is willing to put any of their time in to support this team, from wherever they are in the world, is just as entitled to their view as anyone else. 
    Disagree. It's SDAddick whose comments are ridiculous. If you've gone today you are entitled to moan and whine all you want and to say today's game was a boon for those who want to do so is wrong. He's entitled to his opinion of course but it's easy when you are overseas and not as invested in the games. I don't comment on away performances as I'm not there so how can I? He mentioned fans who only comment on these threads when we have had a bad result and that it's noticeable who they are. Has he ever thought that fans may not comment because they weren't there?
    100%. I lived abroad for 10 years and honestly, when you're not living and breathing it, you can totally switch off from bad results. It's so different.

I would never say people aren't entitled to their view on the football, that would be ridiculous, but to comment on the fans is overstepping to put it politely. 
  • Options
    Saying Gillingham isn't a Derby is ridiculous, it isn't close to us v Millwall or Palace but it is a Derby still and it matters to people like me who live near Gillingham, all the blokes who are currently abandoning their premier league clubs whose grounds they've never been in to support Chatham Town will also claim allegiance to Gillingham when it suits them and start pissing me off. 

That performance farted out at Priestfield was an utter disgrace and unfortunately we've all seen plenty of them over the last 15 years and more. It was the same today however Burton managed to somehow be less competitive and play with less purpose and energy than us for most of the game apart from their left back whose delivery was beautiful all game. 

• Options
    Just put Dobson, May and Hector in midfield vs Orient. Our best players in the middle. What's the harm
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Shit owners, Shit manager, shit squad [apart from a few] and zero expectation.

We have no bottle, despite or game management sense  - Appleton is rubbish, but which decent manager would now come to us?

• Options
    Is it true Dobbo is out of the Orient game.. 5 bookings? If so another disappointment beckons. 
    He not played well
    fir a while now either .. don’t think it’s a bad thing 
    Nonsense……he was terrific against Barnsley.
  • Options
    What happened in the last two minutes? Did we manage a shot on target? Make the keeper make an actual save?
  • Options
    edited December 2023

I was the only one in my row, the stewards thought it would be fun to use it as a thoroughfare, 3 times they want to get past me, on the third time I told them to go back and walk through the stand, they wouldn’t be doing it it I wasn’t the only one. Didn’t let them through. 🤬
    Lovely pic of my sons standing in front of the stairs. I was in the lower today with some friends. View wasn't any better from down there.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Anyone seen a replay of their goal? How did it just fall to a completely unmarked man in the box?
    Shit defenders, who could not be arsed to defend 
  • Options
    People still kidding themselves we are play off candidates. We are rank poor lower mid table fodder with a beige manager. I’m sorry for him to the extent that he can only play with the cards we have but our squad is woefully overrated. We have three or four top level league 1 players and no one other than possibly Hector who could cut it in the championship. Even CBT flatters to deceive. All pace and no end product. His decision taking today was shocking. The rest are bang average league 1 at best. Appleton was an utterly unimaginative appointment. We should have taken a risk on Manning or someone like that. It’s going to be a very important window. I watched the whole game today for the first time in ages. Couldn’t believe how bad it was and how shite the atmo was.

• Options
    Listening to Apples post match interview, an honest appraisal, and he takes responsibility for the selection stuff, and knows where the areas are that need addressing, but as he said, the team is what it is till Jan, there is too much learning on the job, too many touches, too slow in the build up's, I feel the squad needs to take a lot of responsibility for today and the last couple of weeks.
    Think the Orient game will define our season, fail to win against Orient and also Bristol Rovers, and the faint hope of the Playoffs will be gone...we shall see.
    We will be beaten at the Orient.
  • Options
    There seem to be doubts about Appleton, but my doubts are with Scott and Charlie boy.
    Let's see what they are made of in the January window.  They appointed Appleton so give him the tools and time.

I have a feeling it is bullshit!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think we need to give Appleton a window. We can't keep sacking managers. It doesn't work.
    No - give him the boot
  • Options
    Burton's game plan was to stifle anything we tried to do by whatever means they could, mostly to pull shirts or push our players over, the officials let them get away with it for the most part. They had no enterprise of their own, and deserve to be relegated, more so than any other team we've seen at The Valley this season. It seems the top half of this league try to play football and the the bottom half try to stop anything resembling it.
  • Options
    Hate to say this but this afternoon just showed that we are a club that is slowly dying.

Ground what 25% full? Players who, I suspect, have no real love for the club and are just using it as a payday and will never get us out of this division, a journeyman manager who I become ever more convinced is as clueless as the others who have gone before him recently and owners who I'm sure will soon be asking themselves what on earth they are doing.  

And things look like getting worse in the short term as this season just petters out, Blackett-Taylor and Dobson decide they have had enough and move on and crowds fall even more when those nice people at Greenwich council make it impossible to park and many just decide it's just not worth all the hassle of coming anymore to watch such dire football.

I've come to the conclusion there is only one man who might turn this around in the short term . He goes by the name of Chris Powell. We should move Heaven and earth to try and get him to come back. 

Depressingly true in every respect.

• Options

I was the only one in my row, the stewards thought it would be fun to use it as a thoroughfare, 3 times they want to get past me, on the third time I told them to go back and walk through the stand, they wouldn’t be doing it it I wasn’t the only one. Didn’t let them through. 🤬

The guy in the row behind you had the right idea, and decided to sleep it off...🙄
  • Options

Lot of Christmas spirit and smiles in that picture.  Made me chuckle at least!
  • Options
    Go on... please....
    I thought that was 2 of our new signings!