Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Burton Albion: Saturday 23rd December 2023 | KO 3:00pm

Comments

• Options
    Far too ponderous going forward.
    4 attackers against 1 defender on one break in the second half and we couldn't get a pass completed.
    I found the whole game thoroughly lacking any excitement.
    It's just so depressing. 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Surely we will not be getting MA choice of players but Scott's choice, that way, when MA goes and is replaced, the style of play will be decided by Scott who will make sure the new head coach will play the way he wants with the players brought in to play that way
    That is the model of ours and other clubs, yes.
    I think it's supposed to be the model now. 

It either hasn't been the model, or hasn't been done well enough, in recent years. 

In the summer we clearly recruited for a 3-5-2, and Holden switched to a 4-3-3 in like the second or third game. And then we brought in Apples who plays 4-2-3-1. And as such, we don't have enough FB cover, especially solid defensive fullbacks, and we don't have a natural right winger.

By my count we've started: May, TC, Tedic, Leaburn, Kanu, and Rylah at RW in the league. CC has started there in the cup but not sure about the league. We've basically played all of our attackers except Chuks and CBT on the right, which is absolutely the sign of a lack of joined up thinking. 
  • Options
    Shower of s**t…and have been for the last five years
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    jbaker said:
    Same post match comments coming I assume. . . New players needed. Lack mentality. Need leaders. Unlucky. . . Think potentially Appleton is in trouble. It’s not Andy Scott’s money so not too sure why he gets so much agg. Season is done already, almost makes the other games of the festive period pointless after today.
    Andy Scott at Notts Forest was a disaster.
    Look on Forest forum.
    You can paint it however you want but reading some of the comments on their forum from the time, there seems a lot of bemusement over him being sacked as quickly as he was.

Tasked with overhauling a squad after promotion, did the required job and was sacked after nine games were played. Then the players he signed all gelled into a team that they ended up as high as 13th, end the season 16th.

Now look at Forest under their new technical director / recruitment team… doesn’t appear as though they improved after getting rid of Scott.
  • Options
    Lincoln went one season with lots of draws, was MA their manager then?
  • Options
    Appleton’s subs were poor again. We are 1-0 up and he’s putting more attacking players on? When I saw Watson ready to come on I assumed it was going to be for Chem Campbell, then we’d get 3 midfielders on and try and control the game more, but no. He should have done that against Cambridge, and he hasn’t learnt his lesson 
  • Options
    Is it true Dobbo is out of the Orient game.. 5 bookings? If so another disappointment beckons. 

10 bookings now before a ban.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    jbaker said:
    Same post match comments coming I assume. . . New players needed. Lack mentality. Need leaders. Unlucky. . . Think potentially Appleton is in trouble. It’s not Andy Scott’s money so not too sure why he gets so much agg. Season is done already, almost makes the other games of the festive period pointless after today.
    Andy Scott at Notts Forest was a disaster.
    Look on Forest forum.
    You can paint it however you want but reading some of the comments on their forum from the time, there seems a lot of bemusement over him being sacked as quickly as he was.

Tasked with overhauling a squad after promotion, did the required job and was sacked after nine games were played. Then the players he signed all gelled into a team that they ended up as high as 13th, end the season 16th.

Now look at Forest under their new technical director / recruitment team… doesn’t appear as though they improved after getting rid of Scott.

He wasn’t even in charge at Forest, was head of scouting which is very different. They had a different head of recruitment.

Scotts previous track record is good, but I’m not sure he’s had this much responsibility before. And so far he’s overseen 2 poor windows and appointed what looks to be 2 poor managers imo 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    SDAddick said:
    ross1 said:
    Surely we will not be getting MA choice of players but Scott's choice, that way, when MA goes and is replaced, the style of play will be decided by Scott who will make sure the new head coach will play the way he wants with the players brought in to play that way

It either hasn't been the model, or hasn't been done well enough, in recent years. 

In the summer we clearly recruited for a 3-5-2, and Holden switched to a 4-3-3 in like the second or third game. And then we brought in Apples who plays 4-2-3-1. And as such, we don't have enough FB cover, especially solid defensive fullbacks, and we don't have a natural right winger.

By my count we've started: May, TC, Tedic, Leaburn, Kanu, and Rylah at RW in the league. CC has started there in the cup but not sure about the league. We've basically played all of our attackers except Chuks and CBT on the right, which is absolutely the sign of a lack of joined up thinking. 
    Disagree, think we recruited for a 4-3-3. That’s the formation we played throughout pre season. Then we got tonked by Aberdeen and Holden panicked, started the season 3-5-2 against Orient. In five league games he played 3-5-2 four times and 4-3-3 once. As soon as he was gone, Pearce picked a 4-3-3 team.

Edun and Tennai have historically mostly played traditional full back roles in their careers. I think we were recruited to played right back and left back, not wing back.

Appleton was brought in because he plays 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 which gels with the recruitment strategy.

And if we were going for three centre backs as the primary formation, you’d think we’d have signed more than just Jones to add to Hector, Ness and Thomas.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    So why has Appleton been moaning recently? Surely we replaced Holden with a like-for-like manager, who could use Holden's players like they were his.

Or was Holden right and they were crap all along. 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    ross1 said:

Disagree, think we recruited for a 4-3-3. That’s the formation we played throughout pre season. Then we got tonked by Aberdeen and Holden panicked, started the season 3-5-2 against Orient.

Edun and Tennai have historically mostly played traditional full back roles in their careers. I think we were recruited to played right back and left back, not wing back.

Appleton was brought in because he plays 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 which gels with the recruitment strategy.

And if we were going for three centre backs as the primary formation, you’d think we’d have signed more than just Jones to add to Hector, Ness and Thomas.
    I've seen enough of Edun now to know we've signed yet another dud. 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    ross1 said:

Disagree, think we recruited for a 4-3-3. That’s the formation we played throughout pre season. Then we got tonked by Aberdeen and Holden panicked, started the season 3-5-2 against Orient.

We literally played 3 at the back all pre-season? From the first game at Welling to the last game against Aberdeen it was 3 at the back all along 

We clearly recruited for 3-5-2 otherwise we’d have probably started the season with a fit left back. And probably not have signed Alfie May who fits a 3-5-2 perfectly but not a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Appleton’s subs were poor again. We are 1-0 up and he’s putting more attacking players on? When I saw Watson ready to come on I assumed it was going to be for Chem Campbell, then we’d get 3 midfielders on and try and control the game more, but no. He should have done that against Cambridge, and he hasn’t learnt his lesson 
    Watson did come on for Chem? But then Tyreece came on for Fraser and Watson dropped deeper. 
  • Options
    Man are we bang average!
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    ross1 said:
    So why has Appleton been moaning recently? Surely we replaced Holden with a like-for-like manager, who could use Holden's players like they were his.

Or was Holden right and they were crap all along. 
    Holden got the boot because he was meant to be playing 4-3-3 most of the time (I don’t think Scott dictates formation on a game by game basis, but he does expect that we’ll play the formation that’s been recruited for) and Holden wasn’t holding up his end of the deal. And losing games while doing it.

Appleton probably joined the club thinking he would only have to change formation and tweak a few things and the wins would come. Like most outsiders, he probably saw the names in the squad and assumed we should be top six.

It’s only now, a few months in, that he’s been exposed to the reality of our deficiencies.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    ross1 said:

Disagree, think we recruited for a 4-3-3. That’s the formation we played throughout pre season. Then we got tonked by Aberdeen and Holden panicked, started the season 3-5-2 against Orient. In five league games he played 3-5-2 four times and 4-3-3 once. As soon as he was gone, Pearce picked a 4-3-3 team.

If you go through our summer signings and our squad in general they have all played or done their best in a 3-5-2. 

Watson played wing back for MK when they finished 3rd, Edun played a lot at wing back after Appleton left Lincoln and watching him play he’s poor defensively so definitely more suited to wing back. Frasers best spell was in a 3-5-2 at Burton/MK, Camara at Plymouth 3-5-2, Jones at Cambridge 3-5-2, May at Cheltenham 3-5-2 and so on 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Absolute borefest. Only thing that made it fun is 6 of us had a fiver on Jones to score anytime at 18/1 so our beers and curry are paid for tonight. Glad I haven’t got tickets for Orient after that 
  • Options
    Hate to say this but this afternoon just showed that we are a club that is slowly dying.

Ground what 25% full? Players who, I suspect, have no real love for the club and are just using it as a payday and will never get us out of this division, a journeyman manager who I become ever more convinced is as clueless as the others who have gone before him recently and owners who I'm sure will soon be asking themselves what on earth they are doing.  

And things look like getting worse in the short term as this season just petters out, Blackett-Taylor and Dobson decide they have had enough and move on and crowds fall even more when those nice people at Greenwich council make it impossible to park and many just decide it's just not worth all the hassle of coming anymore to watch such dire football.

I've come to the conclusion there is only one man who might turn this around in the short term . He goes by the name of Chris Powell. We should move Heaven and earth to try and get him to come back. 

I’m really not sure a manager who last had any success over a decade ago is going to save us. I don’t know who will, because this is awful, but I would rather not tarnish Powell’s legacy trying to find out. 

The truth is we can continue to chop and change managers but we won’t be addressing the real, deep, systemic issues that are dragging this club down. 
  • Options
    The outcome was so predictable,  again! Burton were truly shit but we never cut them apart.  Why bring on a out of confidence TC which left the middle exposed.  Season is 100% over. Sad times
  • Options
    I have always remained positive about this season but this afternoon I was forced to face the fact that we are a average side in a poor league going nowhere it was a tedious watch and I regret that I have inflicted Charlton on my grandchildren who watch the same rubbish and feel as down as me at the end. Having said that I will still buy four possibly five season tickets next year more in hope than expectation 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    SDAddick said:
    ross1 said:

If you go through our summer signings and our squad in general they have all played or done their best in a 3-5-2. 

Watson played wing back for MK when they finished 3rd, Edun played a lot at wing back after Appleton left Lincoln and watching him play he’s poor defensively so definitely more suited to wing back. Frasers best spell was in a 3-5-2 at Burton/MK, Camara at Plymouth 3-5-2, Jones at Cambridge 3-5-2, May at Cheltenham 3-5-2 and so on 
    Agree to disagree I suppose. Only Andy Scott will tell you.

But in my mind, the idea that we recruited for 3-5-2, then played 4-3-3 all of pre season, switched to 3-5-2 for the league games and then Holden got sacked for, in Scott’s words, not sticking to the plan, only to hire a coach who plays 4-3-3… none of that makes any sense.

Why would we recruit for 3-5-2, then sack Holden who was playing 3-5-2 and replace him with someone who plays 4-3-3. If that’s what happened, Scott is not fit for purpose.

Edun playing his best season was a traditional left back, despite his weaknesses. Jones spent a lot of time in a two as well as a three and I actually think he’s been way more comfortable in a two since he’s been here.
  • Options
    I could reflect on the fact that when these things happen now I genuinely feel nothing whatsoever and that’s probably not great but it’s christmas so I don’t want to. Have a nice turkey everyone 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Hobsons choice more likely 🙁