Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Burton Albion: Saturday 23rd December 2023 | KO 3:00pm

Comments

• Options
    I wonder how we’d be feeling today if Campbell’s shot/cross had cannoned in off Kanu, instead of going away from the goal?

https://youtu.be/A-nT071PxJk?si=PokduAcSLSkdg5Vz
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    I don't know why we bother with this thread, it's the same story every bloody week. 
    Therapy.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I wonder how we’d be feeling today if Campbell’s shot/cross had cannoned in off Kanu, instead of going away from the goal?

We'd still be in 10th place and going nowhere. 
    It's been a car crash of a season and I can't see things changing for the better. 
    Yep, I think we would all be feeling a bit better about a win but sadly I agree that we would still be going nowhere with little prospect of any progression.
  • Options
    The draws feel like losses. Come to think of it, even the win against Cheltenham felt like a loss on reading the post match thread. If the team doesn't have a losing mentality, there are fans who do. That doesn't help apparently as another poster explained to me in saying that fans need to stop accepting league 1 mediocrity.

I don't see games as 'must wins' now with making the play offs no more than blind optimism, buy we do need to keep accumulating enough points to stay well clear of the relegation dogfight as we're so obviously unable to handle pressure that I wouldn't fancy our chances of surviving it. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Was he offside?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It was the inevitability of the equaliser which was so disappointing. Everyone sitting around me was waiting for Burton to score because it has become the norm for Charlton to concede late on. What a downer. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Anyway, the main reason we didn't win wasn't one scramble going against us, it was that we should have been multiple goals up, but certain players weren't interested in getting us a second goal 
    Maybe you didn't see my earlier post but let me ask again, who are these "certain players" in your opinion who werent interested in scoring a second goal?

Seriously like to know.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    We’re more likely to be in a relegation battle than a playoffs battle, on current form. 
    We’re a different team without Chuks, sadly. Unless there are some quality signings in the pipeline the season’s over. In fact, cancel that, the season’s over either way. And who wants to sign for a club eleven or twelve points outside the playoffs? 🙁
    Someone is motivated to turn their career around? Someone who can't get into their current team? Both have risks but they are out there
  • Options
    Didn't watch so can't say to much. Had my works Christmas party, was only when the apprentice starting sniggering around 5pm I knew it was 1-1. The most upsetting thing was I really didn't care. Nothing but Apathy since post COVID. 
  • Options
    Listening to Apples post match interview, an honest appraisal, and he takes responsibility for the selection stuff, and knows where the areas are that need addressing, but as he said, the team is what it is till Jan, there is too much learning on the job, too many touches, too slow in the build up's, I feel the squad needs to take a lot of responsibility for today and the last couple of weeks.
    Think the Orient game will define our season, fail to win against Orient and also Bristol Rovers, and the faint hope of the Playoffs will be gone...we shall see.
    I admire your optimism, after that (and Gills away) and it feels done to me. I'm reaching for the Xmas brandy
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Was he offside?
    Yes, so not a chance missed....🙄
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Anyone seen a replay of their goal? How did it just fall to a completely unmarked man in the box?
    Because he was a couple of yards past our defensive line ie should’ve been offside.

Unfortunately for Tennai, Hector and Jones, Tayo was half asleep and didn’t push up with the rest of them which played the scorer onside.

Fault for the goal squarely on one player, I’m afraid.
    On TV Edun is out of shot of the camera ,then appears seconds later in a deep position...I wondered if he played the scorer onside?
  • Options
    Can see Alfie getting pissed off out on the wing, running everywhere whilst getting nowhere...now he is someone I could see seeking a move, long contract or not, and that would be terrible...
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Anyway, the main reason we didn't win wasn't one scramble going against us, it was that we should have been multiple goals up, but certain players weren't interested in getting us a second goal 
    Maybe you didn't see my earlier post but let me ask again, who are these "certain players" in your opinion who werent interested in scoring a second goal?

Seriously like to know.
    Mostly CBT. I'm also increasingly done with the midfielders who show something now and then but don't land a blow. But at least C Campbell and Fraser showed something, their replacements basically didn't 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Terrible football + good result =fans happy
    Good football +!bad result = fans don’t feel so bad
    Good football + good result = fans delighted. 

Today we had
    Terrible football + bad result = fans unhappy. 

All that passing it around the back shite is unwatchable. 
    Today, the last 2 mins is how we should be playing at home every time. 
     AC was  asked on Charlton live last week how he would play and he said he would be more direct. Or did I make that up.
  • Options
    Oakster2 said:
    If Appleton is the answer, what's the question?
    The question was: ’who’s next on our dumb list of who will accept this poisoned chalice?’

The question should have been ’who’s at fault, us or the manager?'
  • Options
    For the record Hector was beyond  brilliant for all but that goal where he inexplicably pulls up in the challenge where a block and bit of force was required .
    i would have still had him as man of the match in spite of that monster faux pas at the end 
    Lloyd Jones won it 
    Hector did pass it out straight to opposition in the 2nd half today. His "improvement" is there and he is playing better but the mistakes are not leading so obviously to goals- that's luck.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

We’d be saying that was close but he was offside 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    JamesSeed said:

We'd still be in 10th place and going nowhere. 
    It's been a car crash of a season and I can't see things changing for the better. 
    I agree, but I for one would be feeling happier after a win. Always do, as far as I can remember…
  • Options
    13th January- probably the first game when parking restrictions will kick in.

13th January - visit of P'Boro in good form.

13th January- possibility of losing CBT but also missing the dynamo that is Dobbo.

13th January- What are the odds of the players being booed off the pitch and calls for the gaffer's head ? 

Oh and probably our lowest gate for many a year - especially poignant as it's the Memorial match.

Welcome to 2024 at The Valley. 
    13th January 1951- Charlton fourth from bottom of the top flight div1 looks bad.  Hans Jepson scores the winner on his debut Charlton Ath 2 -1 Sheff Wed.  Charlton start moving up the league to safety.  Keep the faith. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Was he offside?
    Lino didn’t flag for offside. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:

Seriously like to know.
    Mostly CBT. I'm also increasingly done with the midfielders who show something now and then but don't land a blow. But at least C Campbell and Fraser showed something, their replacements basically didn't 
    All Fraser showed is that he’s not very good. Lost the ball so many times. Another game with a goal or assist. Not even close. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:

Was he offside?
    Lino didn’t flag for offside. 
    I don’t think you have to if it spins away that quickly and burton on the break, he was offside though