Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Burton Albion: Saturday 23rd December 2023 | KO 3:00pm

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:
    CBT an enigma. 
    He's not. He's exactly what I called him the other day: the worst player on the pitch, until he goes and gets you a goal. Today he didn't. Is he a luxury player? Haven't decided. But he was properly abominable
    Glad you’ve seen through your mate Fraser anyway 
  • Options
    I thought Appleton might be injecting some backbone into that spineless shower but clearly I was wrong.

Hard to think of a team that can look so fluid in possession and so abject and weak out of possession We made Burton look like Real Madrid. 

Happy Christmas anyway. I only hope no one has bought me one of those disgusting jumpers they were wearing in the studio.  
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I wonder how we’d be feeling today if Campbell’s shot/cross had cannoned in off Kanu, instead of going away from the goal?

https://youtu.be/A-nT071PxJk?si=PokduAcSLSkdg5Vz
    I wonder how we'd be feeling if our defence had defended better and we hadn't let in that late goal. Or how we'd be feeling if we scored a couple more goals and won 3-1. Or if, or if, or if etc etc. 
  • Options
    Oakster2 said:
    If Appleton is the answer, what's the question?

If Appleton is the answer - God help us!
    Most useless appointment for years and there have been some crap ones.
    Bar Lee Bowyer and Johnny Jackson!
    Would rather see Steve Brown and Curbs back running the team!

• Options
    edited December 2023
    ValleyBen said:
    Leuth said:
    ValleyBen said:
    Just no fight in this team other then Dobson, May & maybe Jones. 
    It isn't as simple as that. There's fight there in most of them (with the exception of some of the wingers), but the mentality is not right. They drop deep, they don't make good decisions 
    I am so sick of seeing our players back out of tackles, back out of headers, we come undone against any team with even a tiny bit of physicality. 
    I haven’t noticed us as being the team of bottlers…..that you’re suggesting.
    It’s possibly the one thing we have (on most occasions anyway), that we can say is acceptable and that is our competitiveness.
    Now…….whether or not we are much good at it is another thing altogether!
  • Options
    IAgree said:
    This!
  • Options
    IAgree said:
    IAgree said:
    This!
    Written after far too many ales
  • Options
    The away following yesterday was a throw-back to the early 80s. It might even be the lowest I've ever seen at The Valley for a proper fixture. Anyone know what the figure was? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Simonsen said:
    The away following yesterday was a throw-back to the early 80s. It might even be the lowest I've ever seen at The Valley for a proper fixture. Anyone know what the figure was? 
    Attendance: 12,210 (156 away)
    https://www.burtonalbionfc.co.uk/news/2023/december/match-report-for-charlton-athletic-vs-burton-albion-on-23-dec-23/
  • Options
    Woke up with a stiff headache and had time to gather my thoughts properly.

Assuming CBT and Dobson are off. I'd sack Appleton and get rid of every player that isn't Alfie May and build a whole new team. Maybe keep a few of the decent players.

The only one that isn't a gutless loser and is actually worthy of being a Charlton player is Alfie. 

Even if for whatever reason CBT and Dobbo stay I'd still sack Appleton. On par with Adkins this bloke, actually Adkins is way better as he has a credible CV with promotions that Appleton will never achieve.

92nd minute, last kick of the game and the bloke doesn't even send his goalie and last defender up to try and win the game. I'd rather us have lost in those circumstances than draw how we did. Or is this fraud happy with his uninspiring draw record. 

Hope the hangover doesn't last too long mate...😵
  • Options
    I’d seriously like to discuss what people see as the cause of the conceding of that goal. It’s one of many examples of our atrocious marking over this season. It doesn’t necessarily seem to me that the defenders are the problem. You need midfielders to be able to defend too.
    On this occasion I think 18 is guilty of the ultimate ineptitude but in other games it’s someone else.
    Do people agree or disagree that it comes down to 18 on this occasion?
  • Options
    I’d seriously like to discuss what people see as the cause of the conceding of that goal. It’s one of many examples of our atrocious marking over this season. It doesn’t necessarily seem to me that the defenders are the problem. You need midfielders to be able to defend too.
    On this occasion I think 18 is guilty of the ultimate ineptitude but in other games it’s someone else.
    18 is a defender, not that you'd know it 
  • Options

Assuming CBT and Dobson are off. I'd sack Appleton and get rid of every player that isn't Alfie May and build a whole new team. Maybe keep a few of the decent players.

The only one that isn't a gutless loser and is actually worthy of being a Charlton player is Alfie. 

Even if for whatever reason CBT and Dobbo stay I'd still sack Appleton. On par with Adkins this bloke, actually Adkins is way better as he has a credible CV with promotions that Appleton will never achieve.

92nd minute, last kick of the game and the bloke doesn't even send his goalie and last defender up to try and win the game. I'd rather us have lost in those circumstances than draw how we did. Or is this fraud happy with his uninspiring draw record. 

Based on this I am looking forward to the vlog Braziliance! 
  • Options
    KettsJohn said:

I am not doing a vlog mate, sorry. 

Not sure if I'll be doing one until at least the new year but even then, I'm not sure anymore 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Yes, you’re right. I don’t know it. I admit that I don’t really know who half of these fools are. That doesn’t mean that I don’t know a thing or two about defending though.
    This only makes it worse. As a defender he should be marking better, or if he thinks he can catch him offside he should be communicating with 17 to get him to push up. He doesn’t even seem to understand himself what went wrong. Will he, 17 and the manager be having a discussion this. I don’t think they do because whether or not I know or care to learn their names is irrelevant. I know that they keep getting basic defending wrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    KettsJohn said:

I am not doing a vlog mate, sorry. 

Not sure if I'll be doing one until at least the new year but even then, I'm not sure anymore 
    That’s a shame. 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    What bugs me is when they are pushing for an equaliser and forcing a few corners we bring everyone back including the midgets that are May and Tyreece Campbell. They are not going to get their head on anything and it also makes the box too crowded as the oppo can bring everyone up bar one and the goalie. It means more confusion is created and there is the chance the ref won’t see a foul against us as he can’t see everything. I’d leave May and Campbell up meaning they have to leave a couple more defenders back in case and then if the ball does come out we might have the chance of doing something instead of it coming straight back in. It’s always baffled me.
    Totally agree. Leave a couple of pacy players near the halfway line and the opposition would have to leave three back to cover them. Pretty basic stuff. We are always so negative. All the time wasting when we’re 1-0 up, rarely an urgency to score a second. 

Still think I’d be feeling better if we’d had a slice of luck and won the game, but that’d only be papering over the cracks. We could equally have lost the game 2-1. 
    Merry Christmas LA. 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Leuth said:
    Yes, you’re right. I don’t know it. I admit that I don’t really know who half of these fools are. That doesn’t mean that I don’t know a thing or two about defending though.
    This only makes it worse. As a defender he should be marking better, or if he thinks he can catch him offside he should be communicating with 17 to get him to push up. He doesn’t even seem to understand himself what went wrong. Will he, 17 and the manager be having a discussion this. I don’t think they do because whether or not I know or care to learn their names is irrelevant. I know that they keep getting basic defending wrong.
    The entire line is up apart from 17, if you want to play the numbers game.

How can you blame the right back when the entire defensive line is on the same wavelength, apart from one player: the left back?

Maybe you’re right and the right back could’ve assumed his teammate would’ve gone walk about and as a result, dropped too. But that’s not what you’re meant to do.

The right back has his hands in the air because he says his bloke is offside. The left back has his head in his hands because he knows he fucked up and he’s the reason his teammate’s bloke is onside.

Also have a look at the centre backs who are giving the left back an earful after they realise he’s the reason they’re not keeping a clean sheet today.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Stig said:
    Oakster2 said:
    An apple weighs 100 grams. If I fill my bath with ten thousand apples. What have I got?
    A lot of apples weighing 1000 kilos...and no bath!!🤔
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Oakster2 said:
    An apple weighs 100 grams. If I fill my bath with ten thousand apples. What have I got?
    No room to get in.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Anyone seen a replay of their goal? How did it just fall to a completely unmarked man in the box?
    Because he was a couple of yards past our defensive line ie should’ve been offside.

Unfortunately for Tennai, Hector and Jones, Tayo was half asleep and didn’t push up with the rest of them which played the scorer onside.

Fault for the goal squarely on one player, I’m afraid.
    On TV Edun is out of shot of the camera ,then appears seconds later in a deep position...I wondered if he played the scorer onside?
    I think the goalscorer was offside, but one way or another, it was a tight decision. Edun was our last player and was well back behind the others marking no-one. If he'd have taken just one step forward, there'd have been no ifs or buts, it would be a clear offside. I don't want to say all the blame for the goal is on Edun's shoulders, because all our defenders need to take responsibility and there was some terrible positioning, it is just one example of poor decision making/lack of concentration that's cost us two points. A bit like with Dobson last week it's no good blaming the ref or the linesman for (possibly) making a poor decision, we need to really concentrate throughout the whole game and keep asking What could go wrong now? How can I ensure it doesn't?
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Watching Wolves v Chelsea and the ball control is terrible for Premier League. If our players played like this our fans would not be pleased. As for Chelsea CF Jackson, I realise how good May is and he cost them £32m
  • Options
    He definitely wasn’t offside, otherwise Appleton would still be moaning about it now