Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD (+POST p23): Charlton Athl v Cray Valley PM: FA Cup 🏆1st Rd: Sun 5 Nov 2023 | KO 17:30

Comments

• Options
    vffvff
    edited November 2023
    The Northwich Victoria game on bumpy cold hard pitch was poor. This was terrible and shows the weakness of the squad. This must be one of the flakiest Charlton defences, I have ever seen. 
    Kirk was terrible and clearly does not want to be at the club. Kirk and the club needs to come to some accommodation over his contract. There may be nothing left of Kirk's career if he stays until 2025.
    The game is live on national TV and a good peformance might have convinced lapsed Charlton supporters to return to the Valley with a competent performance.  Making 11 changes was a really poor call. Atherton must know how poor many of these players are and the shakey morale at the club.
    Only positive is the extra TV money that Cray Valley Papers get if the game is televised and they deserve that. Charlton will benefit from that but that's nothing to be proud of.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Because every single player today was terrible and didn't stand out against non-league opposition. 

Appleton comes out and says he only expected more from 3-4 of them, maybe a couple more. So what about the rest? 
    Some of them were fine (5-6/10) and no one played well. To say every player was terrible is IMO reactionary bollocks.

Could’ve put Erling Haaland in that team and he wouldn’t have been able to carry half a dozen wasters.

Who do you think gave a 6/10 performance? Other than Chem
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    "A new low for Charlton", "lowest moment in the club's history"

lol get a grip, it's just the fucking cup, in a month none of you will remember this game. we won at Wigan in the last game that really mattered, christ. and sure we were terrible today; we'll win the replay, we've learnt never to let certain individuals on the pitch for us again, all in all it's a momentary stinker. the amount of negative hyperbole I'm seeing is ridiculous! i'm much sadder when we lose a league game, this is just quite funny above all
    Am totally with you on this Leuth, Appleton also eluded to players who did not come up to scratch, that's why you play them in these games, interestingly he mentioned 'three or four' who thought he could rely on and they let him down. No prizes for guessing Kirk was one of those, but who were the others? I don't think one was McGrandles, as Appleton thanked him when he was substituted. 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Charlie Kirk and Conor McGrandles must be on around 12-15k a week combined or thereabouts.

Our recruitment has been woeful. So many chancers at this club being paid a wage. We sign mostly injury prone players, woeful loans or spend money on players who pretend to be football players. It's beyond parody.

I still think the side who played Wigan walk away winners tonight but how disappointing is it to have that many other players that are on our books, earning thousands, to be that terrible. 
    I'd be amazed if they was on those wages. 
    I think I heard someone say Kirk was on 7k a week and McGrandles over 5k a week because there was championship interest for both of them? 

Someone will know but they're still two of the higher paid players at the club along with Fraser and you could argue none of them are justifying that wage 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    "A new low for Charlton", "lowest moment in the club's history"

lol get a grip, it's just the fucking cup, in a month none of you will remember this game. we won at Wigan in the last game that really mattered, christ. and sure we were terrible today; we'll win the replay, we've learnt never to let certain individuals on the pitch for us again, all in all it's a momentary stinker. the amount of negative hyperbole I'm seeing is ridiculous! i'm much sadder when we lose a league game, this is just quite funny above all
    I'll remember it.
    I've got bed bug bites all down my legs.
    From plastic seats!
    Bloody Charlton.
  • Options
    Bring on the replay!
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Croydon said:
    Because every single player today was terrible and didn't stand out against non-league opposition. 

Appleton comes out and says he only expected more from 3-4 of them, maybe a couple more. So what about the rest? 
    Some of them were fine (5-6/10) and no one played well. To say every player was terrible is IMO reactionary bollocks.

Could’ve put Erling Haaland in that team and he wouldn’t have been able to carry half a dozen wasters.

Walker, Edun, Thomas, McGrandles, Fraser, Tedic were all fine or had their moments of decent play from what I saw.

I didn’t think Chem was that good either. With the amount of touches he had, he should’ve done more with it.
  • Options
    All about promotion though, innit!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jonniesta said:
    seth plum said:
    At least May and Leaburn are cup tied so maybe that is a positive.
    Appleton is a major negative after today in my eyes.
    I have not seen the media but I suspect Appleton will blame it on the players whilst over heaping praise on Cray Valley Paper Mills.

What excuse did he come up with?

Anything other than...

"In my arrogance, and with disrespect to our opponents and our fans, and the TV audience, I made eleven changes. Clearly Cray Valley Paper Mills were laughing at such a stupid decision because it was always going to weaken us and give them a decent chance against an unsettled and unfamiliar team.
    I realise now what was clear to others it was the wrong thing to do, I am ashamed, and ashamed that I have humiliated Charlton Athletic today. I can't change what has occurred, but maybe it would help if I paid for all the Charlton fans today to attend the replay wherever it is held, and for that game I intend to field the strongest team possible. Another alternative is to tend my resignation, and if I am obliged to leave immediately with no pay off I would accept that decision."

...would in my eyes make him deluded.

How come? It wasn't a 'must win'. In your usual definition he's therefore done fine. 

I made several comments about the game pre match, none of them said the game is a 'must win'.
    For example this is something I wrote this morning:

I think the Cray Valley approach will be to play as a team and give everything they can, be robust and competitive. They will try to maintain the structure they agree, hope that any player who has some ability has a special game, they will try to utilise their height advantage, the battering ram centre forward Freddie is a big bloke, as is their balding centre half and his playing partner so they will have practiced set pieces.
    I think they will be very competitive going for the second ball, I think we should not give them those opportunities, if we keep the ball and move it around swiftly we might bamboozle them.
    Cray Valley are not complete mugs by any means, and if we don’t show due respect we could come a cropper.

And I posted this at 5.05:

That team had better deliver. Cray will be a solid unit whatever their limitations as players, we might look like a team of strangers.

I did not say that it was a 'must win', that aspiration is related to the need for league points that lead to automatic promotion.
  • Options
    We have the leagues top goal scorer & we leave him on the bench. 

Then when we bring him on we play him on the wing.

Yet another clueless manager. 
    Those goals he’s scored… you realise most of them have come from playing in a deeper position?
    But generally from a No 10 position, running into the box, whereas today he was out wide. May barely got into the box.

If Appleton wanted someone to play out wide, it would have made more sense to bring CBT or TC on, someone whose game is running at defenders, something they hate. Win a penalty, get out 2-1 winners.
  • Options
    Charlie Kirk and Conor McGrandles must be on around 12-15k a week combined or thereabouts.

Our recruitment has been woeful. So many chancers at this club being paid a wage. We sign mostly injury prone players, woeful loans or spend money on players who pretend to be football players. It's beyond parody.

I still think the side who played Wigan walk away winners tonight but how disappointing is it to have that many other players that are on our books, earning thousands, to be that terrible. 
    I'd be amazed if they was on those wages. 
    I fucking hope to god they ain’t 
  • Options
    The only positive from tonight is that I don't have any mates so no one can text me to make fun of me 
    I hope that’s a joke.   If not, message me.   Seriously.  

And if it IS a joke, fine work. 

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Jonniesta said:
    seth plum said:
    I have not seen the media but I suspect Appleton will blame it on the players whilst over heaping praise on Cray Valley Paper Mills.

Anything other than...

"In my arrogance, and with disrespect to our opponents and our fans, and the TV audience, I made eleven changes. Clearly Cray Valley Paper Mills were laughing at such a stupid decision because it was always going to weaken us and give them a decent chance against an unsettled and unfamiliar team.
    I realise now what was clear to others it was the wrong thing to do, I am ashamed, and ashamed that I have humiliated Charlton Athletic today. I can't change what has occurred, but maybe it would help if I paid for all the Charlton fans today to attend the replay wherever it is held, and for that game I intend to field the strongest team possible. Another alternative is to tend my resignation, and if I am obliged to leave immediately with no pay off I would accept that decision."

How come? It wasn't a 'must win'. In your usual definition he's therefore done fine. 

I made several comments about the game pre match, none of them said the game is a 'must win'.

I think the Cray Valley approach will be to play as a team and give everything they can, be robust and competitive. They will try to maintain the structure they agree, hope that any player who has some ability has a special game, they will try to utilise their height advantage, the battering ram centre forward Freddie is a big bloke, as is their balding centre half and his playing partner so they will have practiced set pieces.
    I think they will be very competitive going for the second ball, I think we should not give them those opportunities, if we keep the ball and move it around swiftly we might bamboozle them.
    Cray Valley are not complete mugs by any means, and if we don’t show due respect we could come a cropper.

That team had better deliver. Cray will be a solid unit whatever their limitations as players, we might look like a team of strangers.

I did not say that it was a 'must win', that aspiration is related to the need for league points that lead to automatic promotion.
    So what?
  • Options
    If we win at Pompey all is forgiven. 
    Lose and Appleton is a cnut 
    My money is on the tide not turning.
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    seth plum said:
    Jonniesta said:
    seth plum said:

Anything other than...

So what?
    I wrote in response to the comment made by Jonniesta.
    That is the answer to your question.
    Anything else?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Everyone comparing this to Northwich...there's a much better comparison - Dagenham & Redbridge. I was at that one. It was fucking shocking, many of you will recall we needed an 87th minute deflected equaliser. Our manager? Curbs. It can happen 
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    seth plum said:
    Jonniesta said:
    seth plum said:

Anything other than...

So what?
    Walker why did you start/continue some sort of beef on here by replying to the man, initially by saying "you've wasted minutes of your life typing this out", with zero constructive comment? Do everyone else on the thread who wishes to actually engage in post match views or debate about who was or wasn't any good and take it elsewhere or just save your minutes typing too.

So many jump at the chance to get personal on here time and time again and it pisses me - and probably loads of others - off nearly as much as this result has
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Walker, Edun, Thomas, McGrandles, Fraser, Tedic were all fine or had their moments of decent play from what I saw.

I didn’t think Chem was that good either. With the amount of touches he had, he should’ve done more with it.
    Walker? Seriously? 

He only had a few things to do and he made a meal of every single thing - that punch out instead of catching it? Almost spilled at least two other simple catches. I guess he did a half decent goal kick at one point maybe?
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    MrWalker said:
    seth plum said:
    Jonniesta said:
    seth plum said:

Anything other than...

So what?
    Walker why did you start/continue some sort of beef on here by replying to the man, initially by saying "you've wasted minutes of your life typing this out", with zero constructive comment? Do everyone else on the thread who wishes to actually engage in post match views or debate about who was or wasn't any good and take it elsewhere or just save your minutes typing too.

So many jump at the chance to get personal on here time and time again and it pisses me - and probably loads of others - off nearly as much as this result has
    Spot on.
    It's tiresome.
    It would be great if it could stop.
  • Options
    Mulling it over more, there was no urgency even in the 89th minute. We passed it around and about - Tennai Watson proving yet again that passing forward is anathema to him - and lolloped around with no semblance of movement. This attitude will see us flounder in the league. Momentum from any win midweek will have been checked because the five starters who came on weren't able to pick up where they left off.

Again, a disasterclass.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Everyone comparing this to Northwich...there's a much better comparison - Dagenham & Redbridge. I was at that one. It was fucking shocking, many of you will recall we needed an 87th minute deflected equaliser. Our manager? Curbs. It can happen 
    If only we were a premier league team having an off day, instead of a piss average pile of wank who occasionally have a Chuks Aneke good day
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    If only we were a premier league team having an off day, instead of a piss average pile of wank who occasionally have a Chuks Aneke good day
    They were also in the Conference (National League) and not midtable in the Isthmian League South East Division. 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Croydon said:

Walker? Seriously? 

He only had a few things to do and he made a meal of every single thing - that punch out instead of catching it? Almost spilled at least two other simple catches. I guess he did a half decent goal kick at one point maybe?
    He had one save to make from a free kick. Their player hit it deliberately to swerve and make it really hard to catch. Walker smartly punched it away from harm.

He tries to catch that and it bobbles in the net, we’ve seen it before.