Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD (+POST p23): Charlton Athl v Cray Valley PM: FA Cup šŸ†1st Rd: Sun 5 Nov 2023 | KO 17:30

Today the glamour of the FA Cup šŸ† comes to The Valley, when we welcome Cray Valley Paper Mills FC here after the shortest trip imaginable from their Middle Park Avenue Eltham home, The Artic Stadium, just down the road from my old school, no longer there, but that's another story...
I expect that they will be bringing every one of their supporters, and also expect a match full of up's and down's for both sides, but I also expect us to progress into the next round, and wish Cray Valley a good game and day out on the hallowed turf...what's the betting that Lisbie's lad gets on the scoresheet in front of The Covered End...šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

The line up will be interesting, but here we go...

Tayo Edun and Conor McGrandles make their returns to the starting XI for this afternoonā€™s FA Cup first-round tie..

Edun hasnā€™t played since Michael Appletonā€™s first game in charge against Stevenage after suffering a hamstring injury in training, while McGrandles has been out with a knee injury.

They are joined in a much-changed starting line-up by Charlton debutant Sam Walker. The 6ft 6in goalkeeper joined the Addicks in October and comes in for Ashley Maynard-Brewer, who is named as a substitute.

Charlton are likely to line-up in a 4-3-3 formation with James Abankwah, Lucas Ness, Terell Thomas and Edun starting in a back four in front of Walker.

McGrandles joins Scott Fraser, wearing the captainā€™s armband, and Jamaican international Karoy Anderson in midfield, behind a front three of Chem Campbell, Slobodan TedićĀ and Charlie Kirk.

Maynard-Brewer is joined on the bench by Nathan Asiimwe, Tennai Watson, Michael Hector, George Dobson, Louie Watson, Corey Blackett-Taylor, Miles Leaburn and Alfie May.

Charlton:Ā Walker; Abankwah, Ness, Thomas, Edun; McGrandles, Anderson, Fraser(c); C.Campbell, Tedić, Kirk

Subs:Ā Maynard-Brewer, Asiimwe, T.Watson, Hector, Dobson, L.Watson, Blackett-Taylor, Leaburn,Ā May

Good lineup, with backup on the bench if needed

2nd round draw...Away to Gillingham awaits...

Ā«13456744

Comments

• Options
    Very strong bench.

Glad we're taking it seriously and respecting Cray Valley, especially having CBT available - Although a little disappointed we wont see any other youngsters.

Going for a 4-0 win... Hope Cray get a goal though
  • Options
    Absolute madnessĀ 
  • Options
    Happy with that. Should be strong enough for a comfortable win without needing to risk a Millwall fan crunching Leaburn or CBTĀ 
  • Options
    How close is that starting 11 to the 11 who tried to throw away a 3 goal lead up at Wigan?
  • Options
    11 changes, giving all the lads who started at Wigan a well earned rest while still putting out a team that should win comfortably. Well done Micky Apples.
  • Options
    Pleased to see a good mix of players with a strong bench.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How close is that starting 11 to the 11 who tried to throw away a 3 goal lead up at Wigan?
    And how good are the Cray Valley PM team compared to the Wigan team

I mean I get we have to show respect to the oppositionĀ 

But come on there is no one who can honestly say the team we have put out is not good enough to be beating a team like CVPMĀ 

We haven't out out an under 18s team, we have put out a team of senior pros who have played league 1 football this seasonĀ 
  • Options
    McStandstill in the same starting line-up as Kirk in a flat out race for the record lowest scoring stat bank average, youā€™ll all be glued to your seatsā€¦
  • Options
    What I was expecting, a team made up of mostly squad players, but not a bunch of random youth, with a strong bench incase it goes tits upĀ 
  • Options
    Three of the CVPM subs from the same year of my sons school.
  • Options
    All the available loan players feature in the 20, which answers one question I had.

VERY strong bench, dare I say too strong, as it would have been nice to have had a couple of youngsters who aren't part of the current matchday squad, to bring on if we're say 4-0 up.

I imagine Alfie May will be desperate to get on, and score.Ā 
  • Options
    Very strong bench.

Glad we're taking it seriously and respecting Cray Valley, especially having CBT available - Although a little disappointed we wont see any other youngsters.

As I predicted a 4-1 win, I really hope Cray get a consolation goalĀ  ;)
  • Options
    And how good are the Cray Valley PM team compared to the Wigan team

I mean I get we have to show respect to the oppositionĀ 

But come on there is no one who can honestly say the team we have put out is not good enough to be beating a team like CVPMĀ 

We haven't out out an under 18s team, we have put out a team of senior pros who have played league 1 football this seasonĀ 
    Just remembering this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/fa_cup/8340994.stm
  • Options
    Hmmm. Definitely a "go on then, show me what you can do" line-up that one. Hopefully Appleton's team talk will be along the lines of "look at Barnsley, look at Pompey, you can't take this for granted" and we actually manage a decent whole 90 minute performance for once. If we do our only waking up at half time thing, it could get a bit twitchy in the stands.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Risky starting line-up imo. I hope Appleton knows what he's doing.
  • Options
    Very strong bench.

As I predicted a 4-1 win, I really hope Cray get a consolation goalĀ  ;)
    I don't. I'm hoping for a double figured massacre and a clean sheet, although with that midfield, it simply won't happen.
  • Options
    Strong bench. Nice of us to start with ten men to give the underdogs a chance.
  • Options
    Love that line up as they pretty much all have something to prove. How many are capable of proving it?Ā 
  • Options
    Itā€™s the best bench I can remember but Iā€™m not happy with that starting line up . Total lack of respect for the opposition and the paying public . Ā I hope we donā€™t have to use the subs to avoid an embarrassment.Ā 
  • Options
    That is a poor side relative to what we can field and is not taking it seriously.Ā 

Not saying we wonā€™t win but itā€™s not strong.Ā 

Itā€™s not right to make so many changes this early in the season.Ā 
  • Options
    To use a @Leuth ism - we really are a scarred fanbase.

There is an infinitely small chance that that squad isnā€™t good enough to win this comfortably.
  • Options
    Comfortable home win, surely, 4-0.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    To use a @Leuth ism - we really are a scarred fanbase.

There is an infinitely small chance that that squad isnā€™t good enough to win this comfortably.
    Not the whole point.Ā 

We should be playing our better players unless nursing injuries get them working out how to be their best in every league game (because we arenā€™t yet) and get the confidence from a big win.Ā 

Just progressing is not the only opportunity.Ā