Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD (+POST p23): Charlton Athl v Cray Valley PM: FA Cup 🏆1st Rd: Sun 5 Nov 2023 | KO 17:30

1383940414244»

Comments

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Glad I didn’t go or watch it on tv - I’m done with reserve games dressed up as proper fixtures - I never watched reserve games when it was called the combination league and won’t watch them now so that rules out any cup games for me unless we reach the quarter finals in the fa cup or possibly the league cup - anything else, I’m not interested. 
    Even if you didn't want to go, surely you should have bought a ticket - otherwise how can you be a proper fan?  

Nope - I’ve done my time with these games and won’t go to them any more - they r a piss take and it’s how football is now - I won’t go and then moan about it, I just don’t go 
    Excellent - does that mean that I no longer need to buy a season ticket (even if I can only go to about 5 home games a year) to be regarded as a proper fan, or is it just an exemption for you in relation to cup games (unless we get to the quarter final)?  
    Zzzzzz 
    I know, but it's fun highlighting it...
    maybe fun for you but its very boring correcting people like you - you can only go to 5 games - why would you get a season ticket? please read what i said - if u can be bothered - and try to understand it before highlighting something and making yourself look stupid would be my advice 

Not feeling corrected or stupid ;) 

"i used to play Saturday's and could only make night  and sunday games for quite a few years but wanted to support the club  so always got a season ticket - unless money is an issue, i always will have a season ticket - it's just part of the deal of being a true supporter to my mind and working out the most economical way to buy tickets to to save some money for something far more meaningless doesn't enter the equation for me - each to their own". 

"having a season ticket is the baseline for being a supporter".

ok, i take it all back - your a fairweather and not a proper supporter - should be ashamed of yourself   
    I disagree - I don't think I need to buy a ticket for games, even if I'm not attending, in order to be a true supporter.

However, you do believe that, but can't be arsed to go to cup games even though money isn't an issue. "Fairweather"indeed...
    No I don’t believe u should buy tickets to go to games u can’t get to - I did but that was up to me - I said that unless u haven’t a good reason not to - which u have - then if you don’t have a season ticket I don’t think you can claim to be a true supporter - cup games are a reserve run out piss take now so I won’t attend - I make the rules so please try and understand them a bit better - thanks 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Bailey said:
    Bailey said:
    Bailey said:
    Bailey said:
    Bailey said:
    I cannot believe the anti Appleton bollocks on here.
    Yes a very poor display by 11 fringe players or coming back from injury. They should have been able to see off CV comfortably and if Kirk hadn't been so (typically) pathetic in front of goal, they would have.
    But put it in context.
    We played a good Wigan side off their own park for 80 minutes last Tuesday - one of the best displays since we pissed all over Forest in the first half at The Valley in the Championship.
    All that matters this season is the League and if yesterday equipped Appleton with the case to demand serious turn out of crud and strengthening of the squad in January, then it's all to the good.
    Personally I couldn't give a flying **** if we go through to Round 2 or not. Nothing matters but a promotion challenge. 
    No chance. I don’t care about Appleton one way or another - he’s just the latest in a line of nonentities who will move on quickly. But we don’t have the players, the culture or the commitment in the squad to get promoted.

Airman, that being the case please give me an alternative, because I fail to see one and I also fail to see how anyone, even with the best of intentions, turns this club around. 

I'll take it there is no alternative then Airman. Please do us a favour then, try to make your comments balanced, I don't remember you coming on here declaring the first half at Wigan, the best 45 mins we've seen this season but you are straight in with 'we're all going to hell' comments after the reserves got held at home by a team eight divisions below. Since 1968 I've seen shit players, shit managers and worse than that, shit owners, but the one thing I've had since 1968 is hope and if you haven't got hope you've got dick all. 
    We all have hope, hope that SE7 sell up.
    And the buyer is who ?
    Somebody with ambition, which this lot don't have.
    East Street investments are looking for a club ! 
    So you really don't know do you, just an uninformed rant. Just scroll up or go through thousands of posts as to why nobody wants to invest in Charlton Athletic. The club is divorced from the ground, with a fifty mill price tag on it that is way above its current worth.Charlton are a first division club losing 7 million a year and even if they were to get promoted then they would lose just as much. With no guarantee of recovering the investment made, anyone with 'ambition' as you call it has enough brains to steer clear. 
    So SE7 are bloody stupid for taking things over then.
    So if they didn't what do you think Sandgaard's Investment would have been this season ? Yes, we maybe kicking the can down the road but that's where we are and your rant about getting rid of them for nobody doesn't make sense, somebody has to pay the bills and run the club, even if you don't like them. 
    I'd hardly call it a rant.
    Of course they will pay the bills, anyway, Dushitelet makes The Valley and Sparrows Lane more attractive price wise then this lot would not be with us, I would think.
    Elfsborg, I would agree, but you and I both know the Duchatelet will never lower the price. I don't know what the terms of the lease are, but given inflation at the current levels his 50 mill price tag does have some deterioration over the next twelve years, my feeling is that Duchatelet has factored this in. I like to think that like a lot of businessmen he never expected the Ukraine war or indeed the Palestine/Israel conflict to continue to devalue his assets, both of these conflicts will continue to drive inflation for the considerable future. My point about your comments are that it's no good wanting these people out when the only people interested are the East Street investment type of owner, you may not like the current owners but they are a good deal better than ESI and might turn out better in the long term than Sandgaard. Let's hope that Duchatelet continues to see this particular asset, The Valley and Sparrows lane continue to devalue, and cuts his losses, sells at a reasonable price to owners committed to Charlton's future.

Righto  @Bailey we have almost come together on our little exchange, let's leave it there eh?  Enjoy the rest of the day.
    Yes mate, we both want the same thing and we are both frustrated that isn't happening sooner, apologies for any offence. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    sm said:
    I suspect the performance will be totally different against Portsmouth - but that will just highlight the contempt in which Appleton holds the competition and the opposition.
    Not really. The team he selected should have been capable of winning the match easily. The fact that they didn’t was revealing. I don’t think it shows contempt at all. 
    Incompetence rather than contempt? I don't think a manager should ever replace the 'keeper unless he's hurt. It's not as if he's been running his legs off for weeks, and a 'keeper needs games to stay sharp. Very basic managerial mistake leaving AMB out.
  • Options
    limeygent said:
    JamesSeed said:
    sm said:
    I suspect the performance will be totally different against Portsmouth - but that will just highlight the contempt in which Appleton holds the competition and the opposition.
    Not really. The team he selected should have been capable of winning the match easily. The fact that they didn’t was revealing. I don’t think it shows contempt at all. 
    Incompetence rather than contempt? I don't think a manager should ever replace the 'keeper unless he's hurt. It's not as if he's been running his legs off for weeks, and a 'keeper needs games to stay sharp. Very basic managerial mistake leaving AMB out.
    How will Walker get sharp if he never plays though? if AMB gets injured or ill, we'll need him to step straight in
  • Options
    limeygent said:
    JamesSeed said:
    sm said:
    How will Walker get sharp if he never plays though? if AMB gets injured or ill, we'll need him to step straight in
    Reserve 'keepers are not just 'keepers one day a week, are they, shouldn't the work he does the rest of the week prepare him?
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Bailey said:
    Bailey said:
    Bailey said:
    Bailey said:
    Bailey said:
    Bailey said:
    Yes a very poor display by 11 fringe players or coming back from injury. They should have been able to see off CV comfortably and if Kirk hadn't been so (typically) pathetic in front of goal, they would have.
    But put it in context.
    We played a good Wigan side off their own park for 80 minutes last Tuesday - one of the best displays since we pissed all over Forest in the first half at The Valley in the Championship.
    All that matters this season is the League and if yesterday equipped Appleton with the case to demand serious turn out of crud and strengthening of the squad in January, then it's all to the good.
    Personally I couldn't give a flying **** if we go through to Round 2 or not. Nothing matters but a promotion challenge. 
    No chance. I don’t care about Appleton one way or another - he’s just the latest in a line of nonentities who will move on quickly. But we don’t have the players, the culture or the commitment in the squad to get promoted.

Airman, that being the case please give me an alternative, because I fail to see one and I also fail to see how anyone, even with the best of intentions, turns this club around. 

I'll take it there is no alternative then Airman. Please do us a favour then, try to make your comments balanced, I don't remember you coming on here declaring the first half at Wigan, the best 45 mins we've seen this season but you are straight in with 'we're all going to hell' comments after the reserves got held at home by a team eight divisions below. Since 1968 I've seen shit players, shit managers and worse than that, shit owners, but the one thing I've had since 1968 is hope and if you haven't got hope you've got dick all. 
    And the buyer is who ?
    So you really don't know do you, just an uninformed rant. Just scroll up or go through thousands of posts as to why nobody wants to invest in Charlton Athletic. The club is divorced from the ground, with a fifty mill price tag on it that is way above its current worth.Charlton are a first division club losing 7 million a year and even if they were to get promoted then they would lose just as much. With no guarantee of recovering the investment made, anyone with 'ambition' as you call it has enough brains to steer clear. 
    So if they didn't what do you think Sandgaard's Investment would have been this season ? Yes, we maybe kicking the can down the road but that's where we are and your rant about getting rid of them for nobody doesn't make sense, somebody has to pay the bills and run the club, even if you don't like them. 
    Of course they will pay the bills, anyway, Dushitelet makes The Valley and Sparrows Lane more attractive price wise then this lot would not be with us, I would think.
    Elfsborg, I would agree, but you and I both know the Duchatelet will never lower the price. I don't know what the terms of the lease are, but given inflation at the current levels his 50 mill price tag does have some deterioration over the next twelve years, my feeling is that Duchatelet has factored this in. I like to think that like a lot of businessmen he never expected the Ukraine war or indeed the Palestine/Israel conflict to continue to devalue his assets, both of these conflicts will continue to drive inflation for the considerable future. My point about your comments are that it's no good wanting these people out when the only people interested are the East Street investment type of owner, you may not like the current owners but they are a good deal better than ESI and might turn out better in the long term than Sandgaard. Let's hope that Duchatelet continues to see this particular asset, The Valley and Sparrows lane continue to devalue, and cuts his losses, sells at a reasonable price to owners committed to Charlton's future.
    There’s no guarantee that the price will be £50m in 2035. It’s previously been claimed that the club had to buy at this price but there’s nothing in the lease about that and as it hasn’t happened it doesn’t appear to have been the case.

it’s likely there was an option in a side agreement, but we don’t know the terms if so. The option price could, for example, have lapsed when not taken up. I don’t think either Sandgaard or SE7 Partners would have taken on a commitment to buy.
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Bailey said:
    Bailey said:
    Bailey said:
    Bailey said:
    Bailey said:
    But put it in context.

And the buyer is who ?
    There’s no guarantee that the price will be £50m in 2035. It’s previously been claimed that the club had to buy at this price but there’s nothing in the lease about that and as it hasn’t happened it doesn’t appear to have been the case.

it’s likely there was an option in a side agreement, but we don’t know the terms if so. The option price could, for example, have lapsed when not taken up. I don’t think either Sandgaard or SE7 Partners would have taken on a commitment to buy.
    Thanks Airman, I always thought that, through posters on here, that Duchatelet would only entertain buyers who were committed to an eventual purchase at the end of the lease. I have to say on reflection that seems crazy as Duchatelet could not possibly know the actual price of the freeholds fifteen years down the line.