Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD (+POST p23): Charlton Athl v Cray Valley PM: FA Cup 🏆1st Rd: Sun 5 Nov 2023 | KO 17:30

Comments

• Options
    redbuttle said:
    That starting 11 should have been good enough to easily win.

BUT the attitude had to be right. I thought we started the second half slowly, whereas they really gave it a go. Once they got the goal, they were further lifted, while we got worse when we tried to chase the game 
    Agree. But half that starting eleven couldn't give a fuck
     Message for Andy Scott. Our squad is not good enough.
    Message for Andy Scott, "f*** off".
    Absolutely, every one of his signings are crap apart from Louie Watson and maybe the other Watson, not forgetting he would not have signed Alfie May.
    Penny was entertaining. Todd Kane so good he got an international move in the summer.  I think you are being harsh.
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    Absolutely dreadful performance from firstly the manager for picking that starting 11 
    & Secondly the team for not being able to beat Cray
    If they can't even do that what are these players doing in our squad?
    OK we will win the replay but that's not the point it's just another game we could do without 
    Total disgrace 
    We will win the replay ????
    But only if Claus Jensen plays :p
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Because every single player today was terrible and didn't stand out against non-league opposition. 

Appleton comes out and says he only expected more from 3-4 of them, maybe a couple more. So what about the rest? 
    Some of them were fine (5-6/10) and no one played well. To say every player was terrible is IMO reactionary bollocks.

Could’ve put Erling Haaland in that team and he wouldn’t have been able to carry half a dozen wasters.
  • Options
    Players owe us a big performance against Portsmouth on Saturday 
    Stick all your dough on a win for us.
    Our record there coupled with them unbeaten in the league, it's nailed on.
  • Options
    Play the first team, we win the game 90% of the time. Play the team we did, we win the game 85% of the time.

It was a calculated gamble to give up that 5% to try and save a few legs. It didn’t work, that’s football.

Now the game is done, Appleton is fully aware of which players he cannot rely on under any circumstance.
    Just out of interest, who in that starting line-up is not first team?
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    seth plum said:
    At least May and Leaburn are cup tied so maybe that is a positive.
    Appleton is a major negative after today in my eyes.
    I have not seen the media but I suspect Appleton will blame it on the players whilst over heaping praise on Cray Valley Paper Mills.

What excuse did he come up with?

Anything other than...

"In my arrogance, and with disrespect to our opponents and our fans, and the TV audience, I made eleven changes. Clearly Cray Valley Paper Mills were laughing at such a stupid decision because it was always going to weaken us and give them a decent chance against an unsettled and unfamiliar team.
    I realise now what was clear to others it was the wrong thing to do, I am ashamed, and ashamed that I have humiliated Charlton Athletic today. I can't change what has occurred, but maybe it would help if I paid for all the Charlton fans today to attend the replay wherever it is held, and for that game I intend to field the strongest team possible. Another alternative is to tend my resignation, and if I am obliged to leave immediately with no pay off I would accept that decision."

...would in my eyes make him deluded.
    You wasted minutes of your life [again] typing this.
    So what?
  • Options
    I’ll be honest that’s the sort of performance I dream about us having in the cup

the wanky fucking pizza trophy Cnut cup or whatever the fuck it is 

• Options
    edited November 2023
    Fumbluff said:
    The only positive from tonight is that I don't have any mates so no one can text me to make fun of me 
    Give us your number and I’ll send you some shit mate

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    For the first time ever i put Charlton to win on beat the bookie. That will teach me they were the only team that didn't win. Awful performance.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Play the first team, we win the game 90% of the time. Play the team we did, we win the game 85% of the time.

It was a calculated gamble to give up that 5% to try and save a few legs. It didn’t work, that’s football.

Now the game is done, Appleton is fully aware of which players he cannot rely on under any circumstance.
    Arguably all bar Edun don't make our best 11.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Gribbo said:

Arguably all bar Edun don't make our best 11.
    That’s what I meant by first team, just first choice XI.

All the players that started are in and around the first team squad.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Gribbo said:

I think Callum means the starting eleven or at least the starting eleven last time out, so that wouldn't have been the front three, or the midfield three, or the back four or goalkeeper. 
  • Options
    The trouble is I don’t think Kirk, McGrandles or Fraser really give a toss what the fans think of them. Maybe I’m wrong but none of them have experienced a genuinely long and successful period with us nor have they forged any sort of strong links or identity with the supporters. Add Abankwah, Walker and Tedic and that’s over half the starting 11 with little or no affinity to us. 

I don’t know what team I’d go for in the replay. Hopefully it had made Appleton’s mind up about a few of the squad players.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wellred said:
    Wellred said:
    Wellred said:
    Absolutely dreadful performance from firstly the manager for picking that starting 11 
    & Secondly the team for not being able to beat Cray
    If they can't even do that what are these players doing in our squad?
    OK we will win the replay but that's not the point it's just another game we could do without 
    Total disgrace 
    We will win the replay ????
    Yea no problem he won't make that mistake again & we will start with our strongest 11
    We put on Miles, May (can’t remember who else) and it had no effect - I’m not saying we won’t win the replay, but to say WE WILL, that’s a punchy comment 
    With the changes your right we should have won that easy they was on for enough time
    & just now it's hard to see past how shit we was & playing at their ground will definitely go in their favour 
    But we will win I have no doubt about that 

I’ve just screenshot your reply - hopefully I don’t have to deploy it after the replay !!!
    You & me both ha
  • Options
    Replay on 21st? 
    International break over by then? 

Campbell was decent. 
    That's enough of Kirk now
    I note CBT and Dobson remain un cup tied 
    Well done Cray Valley 
  • Options
    Charlie Kirk and Conor McGrandles must be on around 12-15k a week combined or thereabouts.

Our recruitment has been woeful. So many chancers at this club being paid a wage. We sign mostly injury prone players, woeful loans or spend money on players who pretend to be football players. It's beyond parody.

I still think the side who played Wigan walk away winners tonight but how disappointing is it to have that many other players that are on our books, earning thousands, to be that terrible. 
  • Options
    Congratulations to CV, they fought hard and got something back for their enterprise.

were times when our build up play was too safe and should have been quicker to put them on the back foot. ie Midfield -to winger is quicker than midfield to "FB" to winger.

I think we looked abit toothless up front , best of the bunch was Chem C. who 2-3 times 'did " his marker and found space.
    Unfortunately when we got inside the penalty area the ideas ran out, we needed invention/ideas and movement but there was none. Some of tis would come with playing together frequently, some from being prepared to take risks. It does require being on the same  wavelength as your team-mates.

Finally we missed CBT and TC, their pace opens up defences. It's not clever movement, deceptive body swerves etc  just sheer damn pace. That's why we've been winning games (well some of them).
  • Options
    Sam Walker: 309 pro league appearances
    James Abankwah: 24 pro league appearances
    Lucas Ness: 41 pro league appearances
    Terrell Thomas: 182 pro league appearances
    Tayo Edun: 95 pro league appearances
    Conor McGrandles: 252 pro league appearances
    Scott Fraser: 299 pro league appearances
    Karoy Anderson: 8 pro league appearances
    Chem Campbell: 23 pro league appearances
    Charlie Kirk: 237 pro league appearances
    Slobodan Tedic: 125 pro league appearances

1595 senior professional league appearances between the 11 players that started the game tonight.
    Are you Appleton's agent? ;-)
  • Options
    Charlie Kirk and Conor McGrandles must be on around 12-15k a week combined or thereabouts.

Our recruitment has been woeful. So many chancers at this club being paid a wage. We sign mostly injury prone players, woeful loans or spend money on players who pretend to be football players. It's beyond parody.

I still think the side who played Wigan walk away winners tonight but how disappointing is it to have that many other players that are on our books, earning thousands, to be that terrible. 
    I'd be amazed if they was on those wages.