Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD (+POST p23): Charlton Athl v Cray Valley PM: FA Cup šŸ†1st Rd: Sun 5 Nov 2023 | KO 17:30

Comments

• Options
    Why is ANYONE here surprised?

Soft as shite, always have been. I can count on two hands in 47 years of me supporting Charlton, when we have not made a pigs ear of a cup tie.

Jayajosh said:
    Think I might be the only Charlton fan wishing that we do not score in those final seconds as CV deserve a reply after that performance.
    No, you weren't. I was hanging on for a draw also and now I'm Ā£180 up. See Soapy's post above for the reason why.

NOTHING surprises me when it come to Charlton anymore, especially in the cup.
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    Absolutely dreadful performance from firstly the manager for picking that starting 11Ā 
    & Secondly the team for not being able to beat Cray
    If they can't even do that what are these players doing in our squad?
    OK we will win the replay but that's not the point it's just another game we could do withoutĀ 
    Total disgraceĀ 
    We will win the replay ????
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    Absolutely dreadful performance from firstly the manager for picking that starting 11Ā 
    OK we will win the replay but that's not the point it's just another game we could do withoutĀ 
    Total disgraceĀ 
    I think you misunderstand.Ā 

Itā€™s important (apparently) we rest players and donā€™t risk injury and give vital minutes to the fringe players.Ā 
    šŸ˜†
  • Options
    Players owe us a big performance against Portsmouth on SaturdayĀ 
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    Total disgraceĀ 
    Yea no problem he won't make that mistake again & we will start with our strongest 11
  • Options
    Seven or eight disgraceful performances

kirk, Ness, Thomas , Anderson , Fraser, abankwah, Tedic weā€™re absolutely woeful . Keeper looked shite, and the subs made zero difference.

bar chem Campbell the rest should be fucking embarrassed. Half of them players Iā€™d be happy to never see play for us againĀ 
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    Well we've had better days, but didn't lose, so live to fight another day and a chanceĀ  to put it right, probably on TV.
    I reckon you could have the shits for 2 weeks solid, and still find a positive from the experience !!!Ā 
    Well I was left thinking a bit of a clear out might be in order.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wellred said:
    Total disgraceĀ 
    I think you misunderstand.Ā 

Itā€™s important (apparently) we rest players and donā€™t risk injury and give vital minutes to the fringe players.Ā 
    šŸ˜†
    Ā :DĀ 
  • Options
    Millwall defeats aside, I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever been as fucked off leaving the ground as I was tonight.

Most embarrassing aspect was canā€™t even say it was just one of those games, Cray were lucky etc. It was fully deserved.

Our first 11 is nothing to shout about, so put out a team of misfits, underperformers, injury returners and basically an 11 that have never played with each other before and you have a recipe for disaster. Which it turned out to to be.Ā 

We had no cohesion which is why we spent most of the game playing across the back four. Ness and Thomas say more balls than a Chippendales show. We played just as they wanted us to We played with Ā such low intensity they were never going to tire. Pros playing against part timers, you need to stretch them, make them run in the opposite direction and play with a tempo they are not used to. Thatā€™s how they tire. Not Ness to Thomas, to Ness, to Abankwah, to Ness.Ā 

Appleton stands the whole game hands in pocket, motionless. No direction, no cajoling, no intensity.Ā 

Awful selection, shameful performances, awful result.Ā 

Embarrassment. Utter embarrassment. FumingĀ 
    Perfectly put.
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    Wellred said:
    Total disgraceĀ 
    Yea no problem he won't make that mistake again & we will start with our strongest 11
    We put on Miles, May (canā€™t remember who else) and it had no effect - Iā€™m not saying we wonā€™t win the replay, but to say WE WILL, thatā€™s a punchy commentĀ 
  • Options
    To be fair, we won on xg opta stats or whatever it is.
    Charlton 3.16 - 0.45 Cray Valley on everyoneā€™s favourite stat according to Opta.

About what I wouldā€™ve expected before the game honestly
    We played well for 60 minutes or so and with better finishing we would have been well clear of them. The last half an hour was dreadful though, instead of carrying on doing what was working and would have won us the game, we went into panic mode, with a lot of aimless long balls. May and Tedic being our wingers didnā€™t really help and was a bit bafflingĀ 
  • Options
    Grateful for the draw in the end. Lack of fluidity from start to finish, too many changes. Too many players lacking drive. Opposition underestimated. The worst thing I can say is none of this is a shock.
  • Options
    Portsmouth were clapped off today after losing to Chesterfield. They saw that their team were beaten on the day. Our lot were rightly boo'd. If any of the team that played the first hour think that they earned their wages today, I'll show you a bullshitter.

This team couldn't keep a clean sheet against a box of crayons even if they stayed in the box!!
    I can understand Pompey playing an under strength team seeing as they are top & I expect making automatic promotion their No 1 aim.Ā 

Sadly we haven't got those lofty ambitions. By early Jan we wont have anything to play for.
  • Options
    I reckon this match will get a mention every 'kin year on TV as the FA Cup starts.Ā Ā 

I can hear it now ... "and remember, tiny Cray Valley Paper Mills (Isthmian league) held League One Charlton Athletic in their own backyard,Ā  before getting them on home turf and" ... (Please God No!)

I mean, it's a humiliation that no one will be allowed to forget, both now and forever more.

As if it wasn't hard enough being a Charlton fan already.Ā  :/

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2023
    I know we keep coming back to this but who the fuck at Charlton scouted Kirk and who sanctioned paying Ā£500k for the waste of a shirt.Ā 

I always assumed it was Gallen. But then he left and we bought in Tedic, Abankwa and a load.of other useless, talentless, gutless no bodies.
  • Options
    Adkins was manager when we signed Kirk so thatā€™s 152 managers agoā€¦
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    ct_addick said:
    Shows what level even our younger players are atā€¦ā€¦not good enough to beat 10th tier team from the football pyramidā€¦ā€¦
    10th tier teams aren't even allowed in the FA Cup.

They're 8th tier
    There were a lot of tears at the end of the game.
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    Total disgrace.
    what makes you think that if we cant beat them at home we will beat them away. Look at our away form (yes, we won the last one but give it another 5 mins & we would have drawn it 3-3). And today we actually took the lead. In the 9th minute. Then we let an 8th tier team back into the game.Ā 

Woeful beyond words.
  • Options
    Millwall defeats aside, I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever been as fucked off leaving the ground as I was tonight.

Most embarrassing aspect was canā€™t even say it was just one of those games, Cray were lucky etc. It was fully deserved.

Our first 11 is nothing to shout about, so put out a team of misfits, underperformers, injury returners and basically an 11 that have never played with each other before and you have a recipe for disaster. Which it turned out to to be.Ā 

We had no cohesion which is why we spent most of the game playing across the back four. Ness and Thomas say more balls than a Chippendales show. We played just as they wanted us to We played with Ā such low intensity they were never going to tire. Pros playing against part timers, you need to stretch them, make them run in the opposite direction and play with a tempo they are not used to. Thatā€™s how they tire. Not Ness to Thomas, to Ness, to Abankwah, to Ness.Ā 

Appleton stands the whole game hands in pocket, motionless. No direction, no cajoling, no intensity.Ā 

Awful selection, shameful performances, awful result.Ā 

Embarrassment. Utter embarrassment. FumingĀ 
    Let me cheer you up - both our kids (well they are in their 20ā€™s now) went out this afternoon - at 4.45pm Lady Flash ā€˜invited meā€™ upstairs for some ā€˜funā€™ - invitation accepted - had a ruddy good time - then I put the telly on and suffered watching a pile of shite by CAFC, but at least I had a good day

Actually, thatā€™s not gonna cheer you up - sorry šŸ˜ƒ
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    Wellred said:
    Total disgraceĀ 
    We put on Miles, May (canā€™t remember who else) and it had no effect - Iā€™m not saying we wonā€™t win the replay, but to say WE WILL, thatā€™s a punchy commentĀ 
    With the changes your right we should have won that easy they was on for enough time
    & just now it's hard to see past how shit we was & playing at their ground will definitely go in their favourĀ 
    But we will win I have no doubt about thatĀ