Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD (+POST p23): Charlton Athl v Cray Valley PM: FA Cup šŸ†1st Rd: Sun 5 Nov 2023 | KO 17:30

Comments

• Options
    Itā€™s what happens when you completely disrespect your opponents by making eleven changes. Our first eleven ainā€™t all that yet alone the next eleven. Puts Appleton in a difficult position now. Eating humble pie and playing our best team. Tbh Iā€™m not even sure theyā€™ll be up to it.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Obviously very fresh so there's a lot of anger but the game turned on that Kirk miss. We went 1-0 up and then decided that was probably enough. Cray Valley started the second half brightly and instead of seeing that period of pressure out like a normal team Lucas Ness decided to ram the ball into his own goal for absolutely no reason. Once that happened we actually played our best football of the game for a little bit and looked dangerous. If Kirk had put that simple chance away we would have seen that out without too many more hiccups. They had one shot on target from a free kick and it was saved. Other than that they didn't have anything and we just needed to put the chance away and move on. Non-league teams will have moments like that and professionals should deal with it but Kirk is horrendous and from there Cray were able to slow the game down, stay down after every challenge and eat the time up.Ā 
    This is fine but does it not miss the point that against a team in the Eighth Tier, it shouldn't come down to such fine margins? Talking about the game turning on one chance like it was a League One matchup...
    I never said it was ok, it's just how the match went. We've ended up with a pretty embarrassing result and despite how poor we are it could have been avoided if Kirk had just done the very least you'd expect from a player in his position.
  • Options
    Portsmouth were clapped off today after losing to Chesterfield. They saw that their team were beaten on the day. Our lot were rightly boo'd. If any of the team that played the first hour think that they earned their wages today, I'll show you a bullshitter.

This team couldn't keep a clean sheet against a box of crayons even if they stayed in the box!!
  • Options
    Itā€™s what happens when you completely disrespect your opponents by making eleven changes. Our first eleven ainā€™t all that yet alone the next eleven. Puts Appleton in a difficult position now. Eating humble pie and playing our best team. Tbh Iā€™m not even sure theyā€™ll be up to it.
    I donā€™t understand the disrespect angle. Every player in that Charlton squad today has already had a career that any player in the Cray Valley team would dream of.

Was it disrespectful of Man U to completely change their team against us in the Carabao Cup last season?
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    I know Man City sign loads of these types of players that never make any impact on their first team but what on earth did they see in Tedic?Ā 
    Ā£2m!

The Serbian team they signed him from probably couldn't believe their luck.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    cabbles said:
    He shouldnā€™t have made Fraser captain. Ā The bloke is an absolute meringue of a man, let alone the type of player you would ask to lead others on the field. Ā Appleton gave it all the bollocks before the game about a good cup run, blah blah blah, yet picked that team. Ā Very lucky to be going to a replay, and hopefully, because weā€™ve been a whisker away from the lowest result in the clubā€™s history, the dodging of the bullet will be the kick up the arse. Ā 

That team should have been more than enough to beat an eighth tier team comfortably. Some absolutely woeful performances tonight.Ā 
    Yes, based on earning a living at a league one club, but having seen the run of form someone like Fraser is on, McGrandles coming back and being thrown straight in, Kirk recalled, it all adds up to taking it too lightly imo. Ā 
  • Options
    Pinning the blame on Kirk gives excuses to the other 15 players that were on the pitch.Ā 

Yes he was shit but so were all of them.

Even if we had one player playing decently, he should've been running rings around that non-league lot.Ā 

Fact is every single one of them should be ashamed of the performance.Ā 
    I'm not disagreeing with you but Kirk had two chances to win us the game. If our players were very shit today, Kirk was very very shit
    If we only had two chances to win a game against a pub team, it's a poor performance all round.Ā 
    Kirk had the best two chances! Not defending the other players. However bad we were, Kirk was even worse!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2023
    That team need to stand in front of a mirror and take a long hard look at themselves. Tedic and Campbell should be sent back to their parent clubs if they can be in January and neither Kirk nor we are a good fit for one anotherā€¦
    Thought Campbell was about the only one who looked, well not good, but not terrible.
  • Options
    Pinning the blame on Kirk gives excuses to the other 15 players that were on the pitch.Ā 

Yes he was shit but so were all of them.

Even if we had one player playing decently, he should've been running rings around that non-league lot.Ā 

Fact is every single one of them should be ashamed of the performance.Ā 
    I'm not disagreeing with you but Kirk had two chances to win us the game. If our players were very shit today, Kirk was very very shit
    If we only had two chances to win a game against a pub team, it's a poor performance all round.Ā 
    Kirk had the best two chances! Not defending the other players. However bad we were, Kirk was even worse!!
    But we're very aware at how bad Kirk is by now, if anything the blame should be on Appleton for playing him at this point.Ā 
  • Options
    Well we've had better days, but didn't lose, so live to fight another day and a chanceĀ  to put it right, probably on TV.
  • Options
    When I said I picked the same team as MA, it was not my choice, unfortunately the one I thought he would pick. If you regular watchers have to put up with Kirk more often than me, I feel sorry for you. Pleasantly surprised how good Abankwah was and thought C Campbell played well. The rest, least said the better
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    That starting 11 should have been good enough to easily win.

BUT the attitude had to be right. I thought we started the second half slowly, whereas they really gave it a go. Once they got the goal, they were further lifted, while we got worse when we tried to chase the gameĀ 
    Agree. But half that starting eleven couldn't give a fuck
    Ā Message for Andy Scott. Our squad is not good enough.
    Did you mean: Andy Scott is not good enough?

His influence on the squad building I thought.Ā 
    No I didn't mean he's not good enough . I meant he should know now that our squad is not good enough . Therefore he needs to do something about it in January.Ā  Sorry about any confusion caused.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Perfect result. Double TV money.

Decent chance of Gillingham away being on TV tooā€¦..could be a very lucrative cup run.
    How many bangs on the pipe Eddie?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There are a few from today's performance who were so poor that the only way I could stomach them being paid to "perform" at The Valley again would be if they were behind the counter in the club shop/food franchises...
    And even then I bet their passes would go to the wrong man!Ā 
  • Options
    Well thatā€™s not going to help CM ā€˜flipā€™ the club for a quick profit or cash in on player trading is it. šŸ˜‰
  • Options
    I donā€™t understand the disrespect angle. Every player in that Charlton squad today has already had a career that any player in the Cray Valley team would dream of.

Was it disrespectful of Man U to completely change their team against us in the Carabao Cup last season?
    Individuals on paper are one thing. But when a starting 11 has enough changes, things tend to go awry. United struggled to dominate us last season for the same reason.Ā Newcastle managed it against Man Utd the other day, but that was notable for being so rare. Newcastle played with identity and understanding as to what the coach demands. We were the polar opposite of that for much of the game. Once 5+ players are switched the performance is far more likely to become drab and listless, as we saw today. We were almost hanging on at the end when we should have been hammering their goal - the heart wasn't there.Ā 
  • Options
    IAgree said:
    Fumbluff said:
    Had apples picked anyone other than Kirk weā€™d likely have gone in 3-0 up and would have gone on to overwhelm Cray.Ā 
    Thatā€™s down to apples, no one else, everybody knew the performance we were all going to see from Shirk. A classic.Ā 
    Might as well start the Apples out thread thenĀ 
    Today won't get many fans on his side. I hate it when our managers disrespect this competition. I don't think even Bowyer changed all 11 when we played in the F.a cup and he hated the competition.Ā 
    Bowyer never had a squad of 22 full time professionals that all need minutes.

The team he picked shouldā€™ve won 3-0, 4-0, 5-0. They didnā€™t. Iā€™m sure Appleton is letting them know that.
    That team had never played a game together and boy did it show. You have to put these games to bed THEN bring on the fringe players. Now we've got another midweek game which we don't need and i doubt he's going to play that team again unless he want's the fans to lose faith.Ā 
    This sums it up.

• Options
    I know we keep coming back to this but who the fuck at Charlton scouted Kirk and who sanctioned paying Ā£500k for the waste of a shirt.Ā 
    Was saying to a non Charlton mate before the game just how bad Kirk is. In a way I'm happy to be proved right with this performance but it's just so depressing. I've gone way past the "there's a player in there somewhere". He's beyond hope at this point, looks at best a national league player.
  • Options
    We all know how bad Kirk is and would never pick him, how come Appleton doesn't know and picks him?
  • Options
    Absolutely dreadful performance from firstly the manager for picking that starting 11Ā 
    & Secondly the team for not being able to beat Cray
    If they can't even do that what are these players doing in our squad?
    OK we will win the replay but that's not the point it's just another game we could do withoutĀ 
    Total disgraceĀ