Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

MATCH THREAD (+POST p23): Charlton Athl v Cray Valley PM: FA Cup 🏆1st Rd: Sun 5 Nov 2023 | KO 17:30

Comments

• That starting 11 should have been good enough to easily win.

BUT the attitude had to be right. I thought we started the second half slowly, whereas they really gave it a go. Once they got the goal, they were further lifted, while we got worse when we tried to chase the game 
    Agree. But half that starting eleven couldn't give a fuck
     Message for Andy Scott. Our squad is not good enough.
  • Can we start a petition to say that our manager and players don't deserve a replay, and that in our shame and disgust as supporters we prefer to let our neighbours Cray Valley go through?
    Where do i sign?
    Extraordinary from both of you 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    I know Man City sign loads of these types of players that never make any impact on their first team but what on earth did they see in Tedic? 
    Am wondering the same about us...
  • sam3110 said:
    ct_addick said:
    Shows what level even our younger players are at……not good enough to beat 10th tier team from the football pyramid……
    10th tier teams aren't even allowed in the FA Cup.

They're 8th tier
    10th tier is the level some of our players are at
  • Seething to be honest. Could have easily lost too. Kirk the stand out worst player for us tonight. Ness very poor too. 
    That team should have beaten them comfortably had they worked hard, played simple balls and had the right attitudes. Too many fleecers for my liking. CVPM played well and deserved that. 

Like others said, feels much worse than Northwich. 5 leagues between us and them? Players should hang their heads in shame but I am not holding out any hope for that either. 

Roll on the replay.
  • Crikey hope Portsmouth were not watching. Kirk should go now surely he must know he’s shite. Worst feeling I’ve had as a Charlton fan. Shocking Appleton needs to wake up quickly. 
  • Sponsored links:

• IAgree said:
    Fumbluff said:
    Had apples picked anyone other than Kirk we’d likely have gone in 3-0 up and would have gone on to overwhelm Cray. 
    That’s down to apples, no one else, everybody knew the performance we were all going to see from Shirk. A classic. 
    Might as well start the Apples out thread then 
    Today won't get many fans on his side. I hate it when our managers disrespect this competition. I don't think even Bowyer changed all 11 when we played in the F.a cup and he hated the competition. 
    Bowyer never had a squad of 22 full time professionals that all need minutes.

The team he picked should’ve won 3-0, 4-0, 5-0. They didn’t. I’m sure Appleton is letting them know that.
    “Bowyer never changed all 11 in the FA Cup”

Damn near as close as he could with the squad size he had.

Mansfield (A), November 2018: Charlton made nine changes from the previous league game, Pratley and Sarr started both.
  • edited November 2023
    MarcusH26 said:
    I know Man City sign loads of these types of players that never make any impact on their first team but what on earth did they see in Tedic? 
    I didn't realise that he'd been there since 2019 and they paid millions for him. What were they thinking?

Yeah he's mainly been out on loan in Holland and a stint at Barnsley but I think he was £2-3m when they signed him . 
  • The lowest point in our history.
  • Jonniesta said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Am wondering the same about us...

Strikes me as a panic deadline signing when they couldn't get Sam Cosgrove or Kion Etete and Scott just found whatever was available. 
  • Sponsored links:

• How in Hades are McGrandels and Kirk pro footballers? 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    I didn't realise that he'd been there since 2019 and they paid millions for him. What were they thinking?
    “We’ve got a few mill we need to move for… reasons.”
  • Gribbo said:
    Shameful from Appleton - what a fool
    Nothing to do with him...get them players to have a fucking look at themselves. They should be smashing this team and whilst they worked hard, we should have put it too bed.
    Naive line up, many called it before a ball was kicked

Naive of him to think the players have the minerals to take on an Isthmanian League team and win? Need to remember there's 2 "Premier League" players in that starting line-up

That's no disrespect to Cray, but this should just be a fantastic day out for them, with a good reception from everyone in the ground and leaving with the memories. Not a fuckin replay…..

Seriously think there's a lot of complacency within the squad and it shows when we have a small decent run, play "smaller" clubs or even go in front early on in a game. 

No leaders in that starting line up, so many players that hide as soon as the going gets tough. It was a team of strangers out there, Appleton should know this. 11 changes is naive and Fraser as captain is baffling.
  • No idea what the TV audience would have been but it must have been an enjoyable watch for them. 

I don't feel angry or upset or even embarrassed, I don't know why, but I feel mildly amused that our reserves were so pathetic today and we got away with a draw!

• I actually thought Fraser had a decent game. He put some excellent through balls....not his fault Kirk is shit. Chem Campbell my MOTM. Didn't notice McGrandles & less said about the defence the better.

But my ire is all heaped on Appleton. The man is a clown & stealing a living as a manager. Keep a consistent side & you will win more than you lose. Don't throw 11 players together & expect them to gel.....esp in the cup against a side who think it's their cup final. 

And I dont blame May & Leaburn. They get thrown on with 20 mins to go & expected to win it for us. But by then the dye is cast and the rhythm of the game has been set. 

Absolute shambles. And we have to go to their place for a replay. With our away record. 

Appleton...just f**k off.

• Do you know what pisses me off even more, is Micheal Appleton giving it the biggen last night for the Bromley game saying how well he has done in the cup and how he shows cup games with the utmost respect, to then make 11 changes with the players he played. I cant say I'm that surprised with how the game played out with that x11. Hang your heads in utter shame. My local team is Burgess Hill who I use to play for and I'm shite, Burgess hill are higher in the league than them, I know they're in a false position with the games played etc...

That was an utter embarrassment. Thank you MA
  • redbuttle said:
    That starting 11 should have been good enough to easily win.

BUT the attitude had to be right. I thought we started the second half slowly, whereas they really gave it a go. Once they got the goal, they were further lifted, while we got worse when we tried to chase the game 
    Agree. But half that starting eleven couldn't give a fuck
     Message for Andy Scott. Our squad is not good enough.
    Did you mean: Andy Scott is not good enough?

His influence on the squad building I thought. 
  • Why is ANYONE here surprised?

Soft as shite, always have been. I can count on two hands in 47 years of me supporting Charlton, when we have not made a pigs ear of a cup tie.

even when we won the fucking thing we lost a game ! 
  • edited November 2023
    To be fair, we won on xg opta stats or whatever it is.
    Charlton 3.16 - 0.45 Cray Valley on everyone’s favourite stat according to Opta.

About what I would’ve expected before the game honestly