Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD (+POST p23): Charlton Athl v Cray Valley PM: FA Cup šŸ†1st Rd: Sun 5 Nov 2023 | KO 17:30

Comments

• Options
    Off_it said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Quite enjoyed the game. Hats off to Cray who had a great night out, one theyā€™ll never forget (or surpass I suspect).Ā 
    Well, you say that .... but there's still the replay to come ........ :-(
    I imagine weā€™ll (have to) play a stronger side. šŸ˜‚
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    I think I've just seen a worse miss than Kirk's on MOTD from Darwin Nunes v Luton.

We should sign him then...
  • Options
    If you make eleven changes after an awayĀ  win against a team 5 levels below you and you don't win, the manager has to own that selection.Ā 

After our defender slipped in the box we were lucky that the part time striker couldn't finish or Charlton would've been record breakers with the places between the two teams in the history of the FA cup. (that's what the neutrals want to see)Ā 
  • Options
    11 months ago we were at Old Trafford andĀ  holding on at 1-0 down until the 90th minute.

• Options
    Kevin Nolan's take:Ā https://greenwichwire.co.uk/2023/11/06/kevin-nolans-fa-cup-valley-view-charlton-athletic-1-1-cray-valley-pm/

"Having talked the talk, Appleton failed to walk the walk."
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2023
    We'll have another crack at it and need the practise. MA can use last night's below par performance as a learning experience and I expect us to get the win in the replay.
  • Options
    You could almost feel Kirk's fear when he was put through one on one.Ā  Ā 

My guess is he'll take the money while he can and re-assess after that.Ā  One way or another Charlton will have to pay up.Ā  I dunno what level Kirk will settle on, but I don't think it'll be League One.

Ā 
  • Options
    Totally and utterly humiliated by that. Now to face death by a million piss takes. Never normally boo, but had to let Apples know at the end that we cant field a joke side with the likes of Kirk and that keeper in the replay.Ā  We are not getting promoted, so Apples unless you want to lose the fans, play a full first XI in the replay. If we get beat by Mickey Mouse Utd in live on BBC national tv it will destroy us as it will be a famous giant killing.
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    After a few hours kip I believe there are some positives.

1 We have given the supporters of a small local team a jolly.
    2 We have given the small local team a financial bonus.
    3 We are still going to get another crack at it with another financial bonus possibly.
    3 We now realise that we DONT have the strength in depth that we once thought.
    4 We now know who urgently needs to be shipped off to the donkey sanctuary.
    5 Manchester City and Udinese will have to write off some money.
    6 Our new owners now know that a large bank loan may shortly be necessary.
    7 Efforts must be doubled to retain Dobbo.
    8 The sellers of half and half scarves can have another crack at pedalling tatt.
    9 We have given Millwall supporters a bit of a laff.

Apart from this what a total crock of shit.
    Yup. Just about sums it up. Iā€™m getting to the point again where apathy is in danger of replacing anger as the dominant CAFC related emotion in SB towers. I have to remind myself that this is a life sentence. We should change our official colours to beige.Ā 
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    I think we can safely say that Tedic, Kirk, McGrandles, Edun and possibly Ness are a waste of space, time and money and need to be got shot off, and quickly.
    McGrandles wasn't poor, he looked ok. When was the last time he played? August?

edun, also rusty

kirk, I've really wanted him to do well but that was one of the worst performances I've seen in a Charlton shirt.Ā 
    McGrandles did his job well. He kept the ball better than any other player in our team, though you could see him tire towards the end. There's a question whether we should need to play withĀ  a deeper midfielder breaking up play against an 8th tier team, but it was obviously his job and he did it. Lots of pre-existing bias goes in to the tantrums, McGrandles didn't have a good time last season and a game like that isn't going to win over the people who've made their minds up. Doesn't help when Kirk lives up to the reputation and then some at the same time either
    Iā€™m glad some others can see beyond his earlier (unjustified in my opinion) reputation. He always gave the defence an option and looked to move the ball on quickly . Heā€™s never going to be the most glamorous of players but the kind that is needed by teams to keep things ticking over. Unfortunately for him, his career at Charlton has been blighted by injury and the fact that our best player plays in his position and rarely misses a game.Ā 

I note that someone mentioned ā€œthey didnā€™t notice him.ā€ I reckon he had more touches than anyone in that first half!Ā 
  • Options
    Glad I didnā€™t go or watch it on tv - Iā€™m done with reserve games dressed up as proper fixtures - I never watched reserve games when it was called the combination league and wonā€™t watch them now so that rules out any cup games for me unless we reach the quarter finals in the fa cup or possibly the league cup - anything else, Iā€™m not interested.Ā 
  • Options
    I remember the days in the Premier League
    We had talent to burn on tap
    Now weā€™ve hit a new low
    No rhythm, no flow
    In fact weā€™re total crap
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    4 We now know who urgently needs to be shipped off to the donkey sanctuary.

I thought weā€™re the donkey sanctuary šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
  • Options
    Kirk, McGrandles and, to a lesser extent, Fraser are woefully inadequate, especially when the fee two of them came for.Ā 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2023
    Iā€™ve got nothing to say ā€¦ lost for words šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Glad I didnā€™t go or watch it on tv - Iā€™m done with reserve games dressed up as proper fixtures - I never watched reserve games when it was called the combination league and wonā€™t watch them now so that rules out any cup games for me unless we reach the quarter finals in the fa cup or possibly the league cup - anything else, Iā€™m not interested.Ā 
    Even if you didn't want to go, surely you should have bought a ticket - otherwise how can you be a proper fan?Ā Ā 

• Options
    Slept on it and still feeling embarrassed, confident we will smash them in the replay but everyone got it wrong yesterday, Appleton by changing the entire eleven but also those players should have been good enough to beat that opposition, some shameful performances.

First time in 25 years of support that I actually could not stop myself shouting a little abuse at my own team post match, now going to log back out before getting myself annoyed by too many comments from some fans trying to say it was not that bad, especially if they were not even in attendance for that nonsense.Ā 

Still looking forward to Saturday, my nephews first ever away trip, hopefully whatever the eleven who start they put in a much better display then for his first ever FA Cup match.Ā 
  • Options
    I think we should give the 11 the chance to redeem themselves and start them all but take Kirk off from the beginning and play with 10 just to give us a better chance.
  • Options
    I'm not blaming Appleton. I'm blaming our gutless players who even when on form can only play well for 45 minutes.Ā 
  • Options
    How many of you said that you would rather be watching Charlton play at The Valley in the third Division than the top flight at Selhurst Park?

I have always said that I would rather be humiliated by Cray Valley Paper Mills at The Valley than have to watch us at Selhurst Park.

I'm happy this morning.Ā