Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD (+POST p23): Charlton Athl v Cray Valley PM: FA Cup 🏆1st Rd: Sun 5 Nov 2023 | KO 17:30

Comments

• Options
    Thanks God we have Pompey coming up. We always beat Pompey.
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    That starting 11 should have been good enough to easily win.

BUT the attitude had to be right. I thought we started the second half slowly, whereas they really gave it a go. Once they got the goal, they were further lifted, while we got worse when we tried to chase the game 
    Agree. But half that starting eleven couldn't give a fuck
     Message for Andy Scott. Our squad is not good enough.
    Message for Andy Scott, "f*** off".
    Sorry. I was trying to be polite...
  • Options
    Players owe us a big performance against Portsmouth on Saturday 
    Stick all your dough on a win for us.
    Our record there coupled with them unbeaten in the league, it's nailed on.
    Hope you are right. Unfortunately I don't think you are.
  • Options
    Still stunned by the display yesterday - to be struggling against a team at Level 8 of the pyramid is pretty shocking. 

Not a great team selection but nearly all of our players just didn't turn up. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Glad I didn’t go or watch it on tv - I’m done with reserve games dressed up as proper fixtures - I never watched reserve games when it was called the combination league and won’t watch them now so that rules out any cup games for me unless we reach the quarter finals in the fa cup or possibly the league cup - anything else, I’m not interested. 
    Even if you didn't want to go, surely you should have bought a ticket - otherwise how can you be a proper fan?  

Nope - I’ve done my time with these games and won’t go to them any more - they r a piss take and it’s how football is now - I won’t go and then moan about it, I just don’t go 
  • Options
    I think Appleton is getting some undeserved stick.
    On paper this was the ideal opportunity to give some recovering players a run out,and also give some of the fringe players a game and show us what they could do.
    H e did that,and was badly let down,I wont blame the guys coming back from injury but others just  did not seem up for the challenge.They should have disregarded the level Cray play at and tore into them like it was a league game,but we stood off,let them play and grow in confidence,it was us who wanted the final whistle to blow.
    Now a word on Cray,I am sure some of those players have at some stage been on the books of league clubs and for some reason or another didnt make the grade,they had a point to prove,and boy did they prove it.Not afraid to be on the ball,no fear of us and in general a credit to lower league football.
    As previous posters have said,2-3 last night,must now be considered to be surplus to requirements,I dont know what happened to Kirk.he came to us under very difficult circumstances,and with a good record.He now seems to have lost the will just to play football,maybe Appleton sees something in training,and is waiting for that spark to ignite and we will see a different player,so low on confidence and the booing really dosent help.Tedic and Anbankwah,well I cant see anything there at all,so they should go back.
    Roll on the replay and then we can look forward to a relaxing trip to Preistfields.
    And this opening sentence is the problem - there used to be a reserve league ti give players a run out 
  • Options
    All this garbage about the FA Cup not mattering because we’re not going to win it puzzles me. Literally none of the teams in the first round is going to win it, ever.

Spoiler alert - we’re not getting promoted either, so where does that leave the league games?
    Strange post by your usually high standards - one of these things is actually possible and one isn't. They can't be equated! 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    All this garbage about the FA Cup not mattering because we’re not going to win it puzzles me. Literally none of the teams in the first round is going to win it, ever.

Spoiler alert - we’re not getting promoted either, so where does that leave the league games?
    Strange post by your usually high standards - one of these things is actually possible and one isn't. They can't be equated! 
    Not this season.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    masicat said:
    Thanks God we have Pompey coming up. We always beat Pompey.
    First half playing at least somebody that’s having a mare and waiting for half time to come around so changes can be made because apparently at Charlton we’re not allowed to adapt or change something that’s not working before then. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Appleton got that starting eleven wrong. Yes, individually they should have been good enough, but it is a team game and it looked as though they hadn't played together (which they hadn't). We needed to keep the spine of the team at least.

We looked relatively comfortable first half, but should have pushed on after scoring the early goal. Comfortable doesn't win games when you are only one goal ahead. Most of the team were clearly not up for the fight and at times looked like rabbits in the headlights.

I know Dobbo urgently needed a rest, but there is no replacement for him. I have said it before and will say it again: no Dobbo, no win!
  • Options
    Appleton got that starting eleven wrong. Yes, individually they should have been good enough, but it is a team game and it looked as though they hadn't played together (which they hadn't). We needed to keep the spine of the team at least.

We looked relatively comfortable first half, but should have pushed on after scoring the early goal. Comfortable doesn't win games when you are only one goal ahead. Most of the team were clearly not up for the fight and at times looked like rabbits in the headlights.

I know Dobbo urgently needed a rest, but there is no replacement for him. I have said it before and will say it again: no Dobbo, no win!
    They didn’t look relatively comfortable in that first half, they look like a bunch of Sunday morning players that were rushing about kicking the ball anywhere without actually looking to see how much weight and direction it needed on it
  • Options
    I can handle the piss takes from my mates, I’ve had it for years.

What I hate is when we play a weak side and give that type of performance my Grandkids don’t really like all the hassle they get at school. Then they don’t feel inclined to want to go again.

Apples needs to think about the wider picture if he wants to get the crowds back.

Totally wrong move to make 11 changes, particularly for a live TV game.
    This x 100.

Look at our crowds, full of the over 50s. We need to start attracting more youngsters.

But how on earth can we do that with performances like last night? 

Imagine you are a young kid of 6 or 7. All your mates support Arsenal or Man utd or Chelsea and you go to school today and get ripped to pieces because the mighty Charlton can't beat Cray blooming Valley? Why on earth wouldn't you want to tell your dad, sorry but I don't want to support Charlton?
    I take you’ve not spoken to many Moan Utd or Chelsea fans lately…
  • Options
    Understood that Apples changed things around, thing was it was total, and the spine of the team was missing in AMB, Hector, Jones, Dobson, and May... having said that, we clearly didn't give Cray enough respect as to their strengths and obvious desire to put on a good showing, with us being only too happy to be the accommodating host, and it must be said that they deserved their second go at us at the very least...
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    This x 100.

Look at our crowds, full of the over 50s. We need to start attracting more youngsters.

Imagine you are a young kid of 6 or 7. All your mates support Arsenal or Man utd or Chelsea and you go to school today and get ripped to pieces because the mighty Charlton can't beat Cray blooming Valley? Why on earth wouldn't you want to tell your dad, sorry but I don't want to support Charlton?
    The most damning thing is I'm not even convinced anyone would be ripped for it. We are that irrelevant these days it barely gets a passing mention.

The BBC Fa Cup Highlights show had it about tenth down the running order with 0 analysis or punditry, moments after going in depth on Bristol Rovers Whitby and Scarborough Forest Green
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Not this season.
    We're 5 points off the playoffs with a game in hand. It's definitely possible
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Glad I didn’t go or watch it on tv - I’m done with reserve games dressed up as proper fixtures - I never watched reserve games when it was called the combination league and won’t watch them now so that rules out any cup games for me unless we reach the quarter finals in the fa cup or possibly the league cup - anything else, I’m not interested. 
    Even if you didn't want to go, surely you should have bought a ticket - otherwise how can you be a proper fan?  

Nope - I’ve done my time with these games and won’t go to them any more - they r a piss take and it’s how football is now - I won’t go and then moan about it, I just don’t go 
    Excellent - does that mean that I no longer need to buy a season ticket (even if I can only go to about 5 home games a year) to be regarded as a proper fan, or is it just an exemption for you in relation to cup games (unless we get to the quarter final)?  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    follett said:
    This x 100.

The most damning thing is I'm not even convinced anyone would be ripped for it. We are that irrelevant these days it barely gets a passing mention.

The BBC Fa Cup Highlights show had it about tenth down the running order with 0 analysis or punditry, moments after going in depth on Bristol Rovers Whitby and Scarborough Forest Green
    Surely that's because it was the live game, which everyone would have seen already
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    I think Appleton is getting some undeserved stick.
    On paper this was the ideal opportunity to give some recovering players a run out,and also give some of the fringe players a game and show us what they could do.
    H e did that,and was badly let down,I wont blame the guys coming back from injury but others just  did not seem up for the challenge.They should have disregarded the level Cray play at and tore into them like it was a league game,but we stood off,let them play and grow in confidence,it was us who wanted the final whistle to blow.
    Now a word on Cray,I am sure some of those players have at some stage been on the books of league clubs and for some reason or another didnt make the grade,they had a point to prove,and boy did they prove it.Not afraid to be on the ball,no fear of us and in general a credit to lower league football.
    As previous posters have said,2-3 last night,must now be considered to be surplus to requirements,I dont know what happened to Kirk.he came to us under very difficult circumstances,and with a good record.He now seems to have lost the will just to play football,maybe Appleton sees something in training,and is waiting for that spark to ignite and we will see a different player,so low on confidence and the booing really dosent help.Tedic and Anbankwah,well I cant see anything there at all,so they should go back.
    Roll on the replay and then we can look forward to a relaxing trip to Preistfields.
    And this opening sentence is the problem - there used to be a reserve league ti give players a run out 
    You are spot on,we have the under 21s but that is a competition in its own right,we have big squads now,far larger than years ago,so loads of players dont get a game one week to the next,and then when called upon,are not ready for it.We used to have the football combination which was very competetive,and also at one stage played in a mid week league,as well as having the youth leagues.So players just out of the team still could play regular football and be ready when called upon.
  • Options
    Some of the reaction on here for a cup game few were all that bothered about beforehand and that we didn't lose 🙄

I get that we were bad and wrong decisions made, I saw it on TV, but some seem to want the manager gone as a consequence. Seriously? Have we learnt nothing from chopping and changing managers every five minutes?

FWIW, I'm sure he'll stay and I don't think he'll make the same mistake again. It sounds as though one or two players might have had their last chance and might not feature again listening to his post match comments, which is a good thing if it means we focus on bringing in better replacements in January.