Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• I’m hearing Polish Pete….
  • I wonder if whoever it is will be at Crawley tonight. It the stands just observing. Anyone going just to take a look at the Directors Box. 
    hopefully the club have been smart enough to tell anyone who has applied to stay away
  • journeyman
    /ˈdʒəːnɪmən/
    noun
    a worker or sports player who is reliable but not outstanding.
    "a solid journeyman professional"

Sounds reasonable to me.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Gribbo said:
    Curbs Ratio..1991/2006

P : 720
    W : 274
    D : 187
    L  : 259
    Win Ratio :38.1%

And we named a stand after the bloke?! Ffs

;)
    ‘The Addicks longest-serving manager ever is Jimmy Seed, taking charge from May 1933 to September 1956. In 729 matches in the role, the Addicks won 311, draw 156 and lost 262, finishing with a win percentage of 42.66.’

Not bad on a shoestring budget. 

Sorry Curbs. 

😉
    And he grew up two miles from where I live.
  • fenaddick said:
    Cawley again using the term Head Coach rather than manager, seems intentional.
    Think it just suggests they won't be super involved in transfers which is fine by me
    I actually disagree, surely a manager who gets no say in what players are given to him can't be expected to make them all perform.
    Modern managers do get a say. They tell the dof/head of recruitment, whatever that title is, what type of player they want and what position and away they go.

recruitment has (so I've been told) been taken off of Jackson which frees up jackson to work on tactics, training etc. makes sense to me
    I don't think that is totally true I saw a Jackson interview for the pre season in which he explained the type of player they had turned their attention to.  From that interview it was obvious he was very much involved in their transfers.

They had decided to bring in fit more robust players that had a better past of no injuries.  Maybe that is something we should take a leaf out of.  
  • ROKERITE said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Gribbo said:
    Curbs Ratio..1991/2006

;)
    ‘The Addicks longest-serving manager ever is Jimmy Seed, taking charge from May 1933 to September 1956. In 729 matches in the role, the Addicks won 311, draw 156 and lost 262, finishing with a win percentage of 42.66.’

Sorry Curbs. 

😉
    Whitburn?
  • Criminal if Curbs isnt involved at all !!!
  • JamesSeed said:
    ROKERITE said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Gribbo said:
    Curbs Ratio..1991/2006

;)

Sorry Curbs. 

😉
    Whitburn?
    Yes, I live in Roker. 
  • Sponsored links:

• fenaddick said:
    Think it just suggests they won't be super involved in transfers which is fine by me
    I actually disagree, surely a manager who gets no say in what players are given to him can't be expected to make them all perform.
    Modern managers do get a say. They tell the dof/head of recruitment, whatever that title is, what type of player they want and what position and away they go.

recruitment has (so I've been told) been taken off of Jackson which frees up jackson to work on tactics, training etc. makes sense to me
    I don't think that is totally true I saw a Jackson interview for the pre season in which he explained the type of player they had turned their attention to.  From that interview it was obvious he was very much involved in their transfers.

They had decided to bring in fit more robust players that had a better past of no injuries.  Maybe that is something we should take a leaf out of.  
    My source. An afc board member
  • cafc_se7 said:
    From talking to friends who have had the Cowleys at the helm of their club, I will be really disappointed if it is them we go with! 

I think back to the game with Huddersfield at home in our championship season and i thought their brand of football was absolutely shocking! I really hope it isn’t them! Journeymen! 

In the reverse fixture, they stuffed us 4-0.

The idiots booed Karlan, who affected by the abuse only scored twice
  • Cowley did an absolute shocking job at Pompey. I really don’t know who I want out of the likely ones it’s going to be. Just gotta crack on and get behind him 😐
    Shocking? Where's that from. 

P97
    w42
    d27
    l28
    Win ratio 43.3

shocking!!

Mark Hudson is a manager mentioned by some because his Charlton links and I’d genuinely class his record as shocking:

P 18 w 4 l7 with Cardiff 

win ratio 22%
    That’s because he was locked in my bestie’s cupboard in her penthouse in the bay the whole time.
    Well, at least that’s what she told me 🤷‍♀️
  • So a summary of todays posts

we can't go for Parker because he hasn't managed in the third tier

we can't go do cowley or Appleton because the third tier is their level 
    This post completely sums up Charlton fans 😂
  • All being well I think Parker is a talented manger/ head coach. But even if he does come which I would view as unlikely, I don’t think the club is stable enough for Scott given his history and the way he left Fulham and Bournemouth with issues with transfer budget and ownership. Both after only a year or two. 

If he had issues there he’ll surely have similar issues here. So while I would be tempted given club connections and ability, just don’t see it working and it’s be over quickly. 

But on one level at least slightly more interesting than the Cowley option… 

• Cafc43v3r said:
    journeyman
    /ˈdʒəːnɪmən/
    noun

Sounds reasonable to me.
    Don’t care on the LOLs, if we land up with them, we are going nowhere! 
  • cafc_se7 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    journeyman
    /ˈdʒəːnɪmən/
    noun

Sounds reasonable to me.
    He has spoken
  • edited September 2023
    cafc_se7 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    journeyman
    /ˈdʒəːnɪmən/
    noun

Sounds reasonable to me.
    Who can we get that would make us go somewhere, positive?

If we get someone like Johnson, Appleton, Cowley we will finish somewhere like 8th-12th.  With the outside chance of the play offs.

If we take a more "sexy" risk we could actually get relegated if it goes Pete Tong and probably end up with a "safe pair of hands" in March anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Was thinking of the Monty Python 'What did the Roman's ever do' sketch. Substitute Curbs for Roman's, lol.

• fenaddick said:

Then maybe I stand corrected.  However I'm still surprised if it is that cut and dry, I would still think Jackson had some say in who they brought in by his comments. 
  • fenaddick said:

Then maybe I stand corrected.  However I'm still surprised if it is that cut and dry, I would still think Jackson had some say in who they brought in by his comments. 
    I'm sure that if the scouting team come back with a shortlist of 3, jackson would be involved in deciding the rank in order or preference but days where managers are heavily involved in the process are gone
  • edited September 2023
    193 posts in a few hours.

Why?
  • I’ve decided to throw my hat into the ring now I know that managers out of work have to apply. 

I know the team well having seen most of our games, I have a good feel for what the fans are looking for, I will play a player in their natural position and I’m not a dick-head! There can’t be much more to it than that! 

And I might put myself on the bench for the pizza games at the expense of Kirk! 
  • Said last week it doesn’t matter who we get in .
    As they say you can’t polish a turd!
  • ROKERITE said:
    JamesSeed said:
    ROKERITE said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Gribbo said:
    Curbs Ratio..1991/2006

;)

Sorry Curbs. 

😉
    Whitburn?
    Yes, I live in Roker. 
    You live in Roker @Rokerite ?
  • Appleton now 4/6 on. Please no. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!