Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• JamesSeed said:
    Someone at the game saying it’s Appleton. 
    (Not the best manager, the new manager). 
    Typical as out of all the names mentioned he was the least favourable for me..
    IF true then it’s scrapping the bottom of a very bad barrel.  I’ve got zero time for Appleton.  Got a bit of credit for managing Pompey during their financial crisis many years ago, and since then has done pretty nothing other than take Oxford up from league two about 10 years ago now.

I think we’re catching the Cowley’s on the way down from the peak of their managerial career and they will struggle, but if we’re appointing Appleton, we’re picking someone up off the bottom of the basement floor in terms of what he can offer and I predict he’ll be out by March next year, if he can even last that long.

Obviously just a rumour, but we’ve reached rock bottom if this is who we get from CM and co
  • Appleton just feels so uninspiring. Was decent at Lincoln with a load of loanees but bar that spell not a lot to write home about. 
  • I will never understand how an interview is going to help you find the right manager. It just makes the people doing the interviews feel important. Different skills are required to do a good interview and be a good football manager.
    To make sure the manager isn't a dick?
    To make sure the manager fits in
    To make sure the manager is aware of the clubs vision
    To learn the managers strengths
    To learn the managers weaknesses
    To discuss the managers previous successes and how the skills used in that success can be transfered
    To ascertain the managers salary expectations
    i could go on

how would you select a new manager? Win ratios from wiki?
     Why didn't Powell have to do any of that then?
  • I will never understand how an interview is going to help you find the right manager. It just makes the people doing the interviews feel important. Different skills are required to do a good interview and be a good football manager.
    To discuss the managers previous successes and how the skills used in that success can be transfered
    i could go on

Agree with all this and suspect one of the important questions will be ‘how will they feel being a head coach and working with players they are provided, rather than choose themselves?’ Head coach vs manager has been referenced more than it’s fair share. Only consolation now vs previous regime is that I do believe Scott has a network and will be trying to bring as much talent and various styles to the squad as he can. The black box will either merely support the process or act as a doorstop.
  • Perhaps 🤔 we are being filmed for a new Netflix documentary and the managers interviewed are saying no way I’m putting myself out there I’ll never get a job again ! ! ! 
  • Rothko said:
    My view on Parker as a manager is deeply affected by how he ended at Bournemouth. Threw the club under the bus after the Liverpool game, and was shown how wrong he was by what Gary O’Neill did after him. Just gives me the feeling he isn’t emotionally mature enough when there are difficult times
    Gary O'Neil was given money to spend in January tho...
  • I think it doesn’t matter who we get in, the defence fundamentally isn’t good enough for this level and any manager is going to struggle to fix that 
  • Sponsored links:

• The bit they can’t agree is for the manager to be self employed and can be dispensed with with no notice and no pay off.
  • Has Jack Ross never been mentioned?  Out of work. Known to Methven etc…….
    i could go on

Because they were offering him the role on an interim basis while they went through that process with potential permanent managers. He would have effectively been doing what Jason has done for the last 2 weeks. Albeit with the potential to stay on if he did well.
  • cabbles said:
    JamesSeed said:
    IF true then it’s scrapping the bottom of a very bad barrel.  I’ve got zero time for Appleton.  Got a bit of credit for managing Pompey during their financial crisis many years ago, and since then has done pretty nothing other than take Oxford up from league two about 10 years ago now.

I think we’re catching the Cowley’s on the way down from the peak of their managerial career and they will struggle, but if we’re appointing Appleton, we’re picking someone up off the bottom of the basement floor in terms of what he can offer and I predict he’ll be out by March next year, if he can even last that long.

Obviously just a rumour, but we’ve reached rock bottom if this is who we get from CM and co
    They gave us Holden as their first choice, not nearly as experienced as Appleton in L1. He's enjoyed moderate success in it too, enough for a championship club to take a gamble on, his most recent job where he was sacked following a poor run of form.

Interesting to note that Mick McCarthy took over from him there to lose 9 out of 14 games in charge and then his job, effectively sealing their relegation.

He's not my pick, but I don't regard Appleton as basement floor and think there are far worse and less qualified managers out there for the job in hand here.
  • edited September 2023
    JamesSeed said:
    Someone at the game is just watching the bookies odds…

We’ve had Bowyer, Cowley, Challinor and Appleton all go very short odds and then immediately drift back out as soon as the next whisper comes along and someone sticks £20 on.
    Not from bookies’ odds. But if they’re still interviewing perhaps the person who told him has got the wrong end of the stick.
    Personally I’d like it to be someone from left field that we’ve overlooked, or know little about (so long as it makes sense of course). Not massively inspired by any of those being talked about. Moore and Bowyer are my favoured options I suppose. 
  • edited September 2023
    I will never understand how an interview is going to help you find the right manager. It just makes the people doing the interviews feel important. Different skills are required to do a good interview and be a good football manager.
    i could go on

Ineptness from the board, going on name and previous achievements only. Picking a name to appease a disheartened fan base

would you ever employ someone without interviewing them 
  • Sponsored links:

• No chance. If we win four of those games I’d be very surprised. Three would be a more realistic target, sadly. 
  • edited September 2023
    JamesSeed said:
    No chance. If we win four of those games I’d be very surprised. Three would be a more realistic target, sadly. 
    Realism is so last……whenever.
    If it is right to take one game at a time, then take the next eight games one at a time, and win them one by one.

I am not interested in excuses or reasons any more.
  • seth plum said:
    JamesSeed said:
    No chance. If we win four of those games I’d be very surprised. Three would be a more realistic target, sadly. 
    If it is right to take one game at a time, then take the next eight games one at a time, and win them one by one.

We’re all desperate to win games Seth. 🙁
  • Chunes said:
    supaclive said:
    Andy Scott has hardly proven himself in two transfer windows to date.

Whether that's the restrictions he's working under or all his own doing doesn't matter - that's what the new Head Coach will find himself working under.

This is looking more and more like a shit sandwich.
    He hasn't proven himself? You do realise that the window closed less than a week ago and 4 of the last day signings are yet to make their league debuts?

are you really judging on little run outs in the pizza cup?

does c Campbell look terrible? Has maybscored 4 in 6? Is Jones improving game by game? Does edun look good? Did mid field watson get positive reviews last night?

the others are not match fit and haven't been given a chance, especially seeing some signed less than a week ago.

can you explain what your expectations are for players that signed a week ago? 6 goals in their debut?
    The first window was awful with the likes of Penney and Bonne. This window has seen us bring in players who aren't fit and has left us short in key positions for the opening 6 matches. Now everyone else is still trying to get up to speed and it's hardly been a roaring success thus far. We are also still weak at CB and are pinning all our hopes on a teenager who may or may not be good enough. Our senior squad next season consists of about 8 players, meaning we haven't built for next year and will have to go through another total rebuild in the summer, and will likely again be short in key positions for the opening games. I wouldn't say he's proved himself. 
    The first window had to conform to Sandgaard’s budgetary requirements - he was hardly likely to push the boat out given he was looking to exit.
  • edited September 2023
    seth plum said:
    JamesSeed said:
    seth plum said:
    JamesSeed said:

Do you believe Charlie Methven is desperate for Charlton Athletic to win games?
    I would need a hell’ve a lot of convincing to believe that.
    ‘We’ being us on CL, not CM. Although I can’t see why he’d want to lose matches. 
  • seth plum said:
    JamesSeed said:
    seth plum said:
    JamesSeed said:

Do you believe Charlie Methven is desperate for Charlton Athletic to win games?
    I would need a hell’ve a lot of convincing to believe that.
    Didn’t he say he’s put some of his own money in? If so he’ll want to make a profit on that, no just collect a salary (do we know he’s getting one?).
  • swordfish said:
    cabbles said:
    JamesSeed said:

They gave us Holden as their first choice, not nearly as experienced as Appleton in L1. He's enjoyed moderate success in it too, enough for a championship club to take a gamble on, his most recent job where he was sacked following a poor run of form.

Interesting to note that Mick McCarthy took over from him there to lose 9 out of 14 games in charge and then his job, effectively sealing their relegation.

He's not my pick, but I don't regard Appleton as basement floor and think there are far worse and less qualified managers out there for the job in hand here.
    We absolutely shouldn’t be looking at another Holden or Garner, but at the same time, this appointment just says, ‘he’ll do’.

I appreciate we are fishing in a small pond, but him over the Cowley’s would be a mistake for me.  If that’s who it’s down to
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!