Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• Whoever the new manager is I hope he's a proper no nonsense hard bustard.
    Some of our players are just going through the motions and not giving anywhere near 100%.

We need a Bowyer type manager who will come in and kick arse. 

I don't think the softly softly approach will get us anywhere with this lot.
    Some of our so called experienced players are setting a poor example to the youngsters who are being thrown in too soon.

A proper sergeant major type manager please. 
    There is a big chance you will get your wish. 
  • seth plum said:
    JamesSeed said:
    seth plum said:
    JamesSeed said:
    No chance. If we win four of those games I’d be very surprised. Three would be a more realistic target, sadly. 
    Realism is so last……whenever.
    If it is right to take one game at a time, then take the next eight games one at a time, and win them one by one.

I am not interested in excuses or reasons any more.
    We’re all desperate to win games Seth. 🙁
    Do you believe Charlie Methven is desperate for Charlton Athletic to win games?
    I would need a hell’ve a lot of convincing to believe that.
    Yes
    Of course your perspective is valid even if your convincing is very brief.

Maybe I should’ve asked if Charlton Athletic losing games bothers lifelong Oxford United fanatic Charlie Methven.
  • Chunes said:
    supaclive said:
    Andy Scott has hardly proven himself in two transfer windows to date.

Whether that's the restrictions he's working under or all his own doing doesn't matter - that's what the new Head Coach will find himself working under.

This is looking more and more like a shit sandwich.
    He hasn't proven himself? You do realise that the window closed less than a week ago and 4 of the last day signings are yet to make their league debuts?

are you really judging on little run outs in the pizza cup?

does c Campbell look terrible? Has maybscored 4 in 6? Is Jones improving game by game? Does edun look good? Did mid field watson get positive reviews last night?

the others are not match fit and haven't been given a chance, especially seeing some signed less than a week ago.

can you explain what your expectations are for players that signed a week ago? 6 goals in their debut?
    The first window was awful with the likes of Penney and Bonne. This window has seen us bring in players who aren't fit and has left us short in key positions for the opening 6 matches. Now everyone else is still trying to get up to speed and it's hardly been a roaring success thus far. We are also still weak at CB and are pinning all our hopes on a teenager who may or may not be good enough. Our senior squad next season consists of about 8 players, meaning we haven't built for next year and will have to go through another total rebuild in the summer, and will likely again be short in key positions for the opening games. I wouldn't say he's proved himself. 
    Who was paying him in January and what was his brief? Can he be judged for that?

I agree that Matt penny and the other signings were awful but what was the budget provided by break even Tommy? and who was available in January that were better?

8 players next year can't be blamed on Scott. We have been in this position yearly for how long? We are such a broken and damaged club that needs rebuilding. This isn't going to take one window

i think our expectation levels as fans needs reigning in. One transfer window, which wasn't a full transfer window due to TS dicking around since January will not make us whole again!
  • supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    Andy Scott has hardly proven himself in two transfer windows to date.

Whether that's the restrictions he's working under or all his own doing doesn't matter - that's what the new Head Coach will find himself working under.

This is looking more and more like a shit sandwich.
    He hasn't proven himself? You do realise that the window closed less than a week ago and 4 of the last day signings are yet to make their league debuts?

are you really judging on little run outs in the pizza cup?

does c Campbell look terrible? Has maybscored 4 in 6? Is Jones improving game by game? Does edun look good? Did mid field watson get positive reviews last night?

the others are not match fit and haven't been given a chance, especially seeing some signed less than a week ago.

can you explain what your expectations are for players that signed a week ago? 6 goals in their debut?
    January window
    The complete Summer window
    We have lost 6 of our 8 games so far, winning only two, by the odd goal against a side who are a bottom and a newly promoted side
    If you want to think it's not bad planning to sign unfit/recently coming back from injury players who aren't fit a month into the season and that our final week signings are enough to propel us into being able to compete with Bolton, Barnsley, Pompey, Derby etc etc then that is your choice but I don't agree
    If you think our back 4 - who we only have a 19 year old who has had 2 first team appearances for his current club to add to - is sufficient to enable this side to make top 6 and win the play offs, I am going to sadly disagree.

I ALSO said that Andy Scott may only be able to do what he can working under the conditions he can.

If it's the conditions are really poor - and they might be - then the manager will be stuck with the same conditions also.

Are you refusing to agree that in the 8 games we have played - there is not a body of work that suggests our defence is just not good enough and we won't be able to outscore better teams in this division (let alone losing to two league 2 sides in the cups so far also).

I never mentioned this seasons results. I didn't go anywhere near there so I'm not sure where this question came from but I'll answer it.

I think that onfield errors and lack of tactics and vision lies with a manager not a dof or whatever scott is.

we have hector, Jones, Thomas, ness all available and they have all under performed. On paper, that defence is better than port vales. I don't see how Scott can be blamed for hector falling over against port vale
    Some of our players are just going through the motions and not giving anywhere near 100%.

Some of our so called experienced players are setting a poor example to the youngsters who are being thrown in too soon.

Andy Nelson's coming back?

I wonder if Burger boy has a Pro Licence he’s “Double hard” 😂😉
  • Sponsored links:

• swordfish said:
    cabbles said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Someone at the game saying it’s Appleton. 
    (Not the best manager, the new manager). 
    Typical as out of all the names mentioned he was the least favourable for me..
    IF true then it’s scrapping the bottom of a very bad barrel.  I’ve got zero time for Appleton.  Got a bit of credit for managing Pompey during their financial crisis many years ago, and since then has done pretty nothing other than take Oxford up from league two about 10 years ago now.

I think we’re catching the Cowley’s on the way down from the peak of their managerial career and they will struggle, but if we’re appointing Appleton, we’re picking someone up off the bottom of the basement floor in terms of what he can offer and I predict he’ll be out by March next year, if he can even last that long.

Obviously just a rumour, but we’ve reached rock bottom if this is who we get from CM and co
    They gave us Holden as their first choice, not nearly as experienced as Appleton in L1. He's enjoyed moderate success in it too, enough for a championship club to take a gamble on, his most recent job where he was sacked following a poor run of form.

Interesting to note that Mick McCarthy took over from him there to lose 9 out of 14 games in charge and then his job, effectively sealing their relegation.

He's not my pick, but I don't regard Appleton as basement floor and think there are far worse and less qualified managers out there for the job in hand here.
    Don't go airing that opinion too widely or you may get a call from the club asking for some names and contact numbers  :)
  • swordfish said:
    Addick_8 said:
    seth plum said:
    JamesSeed said:
    seth plum said:
    JamesSeed said:
    No chance. If we win four of those games I’d be very surprised. Three would be a more realistic target, sadly. 
    Realism is so last……whenever.
    If it is right to take one game at a time, then take the next eight games one at a time, and win them one by one.

I am not interested in excuses or reasons any more.
    We’re all desperate to win games Seth. 🙁
    Do you believe Charlie Methven is desperate for Charlton Athletic to win games?
    I would need a hell’ve a lot of convincing to believe that.
    Jesus Christ.
    Have his odds shortened!
    Not convinced, we need someone who can set our defence up to deal with crosses.
  • Been listening to that Will Still on the ‘High Performance’ podcast which is a great listen for anyone interested. He talks about going back to basics like ShootersHill mentions above. You can’t help but think that is what we need from somebody right now.

Unbelievable journey for him so far too, by the way. 
  • edited September 2023
    Whoever the new manager is I hope he's a proper no nonsense hard bustard.

Breaking news...
    88 year old Andy Nelson set to return to the Valley as Manager despite Charlton still having *cerebrally challenged sheep.

The morons singing "Peter Shaw is a wanker" will stay with me for ever. 
    I really must stop seeing players as human beings with family watching. Bizarrely after a shaky start Shaw improved and injury I believe curtailed his Professional career.

*Village idiots, to quote Andy Nelson.
  • Haven’t seen him mentioned in any odds for next manager but I what would people think about Mick McCarthy? He ain’t got a job atm either…
    Maybe in the 70s
    Is that the 1870’s?

I agree - 100% dinosaur
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:

Spot on really, isn’t it. 
    Yes. although I'm not bothered about last night. I'm glad that leaburn, Taylor and a couple of the new guys got minutes.
  • Big "44 facking 2" vibes this morning.
  • Listen to Dobson before the fleetwood game think there too confident think said we should have more points on the board and be winning all the matches in this division l. 
    To me we have lack of respect for opponents and think we are going to win week in and week out. There is not one game this season we have won and you can say yes we deserve that. 
    Bet if you asked our team if they think we got a chance of going up they would say yes but in reality it’s a battle to stay up more than go up. 
  • Leuth said:
    What these players need isn't confidence, it's fear and abuse! 
    It's discipline. 
    Too many of the senior players like Hector for instance are just going through the motions. 
    Nowhere near giving 100%.

A bit of discipline on the training ground and telling some of the players a few home truths is not the same as fear and abuse. 
    To do that you need a manager that the players respect though. Also a decent Assistant manager so they can play good cop/bad cop if needs be. 
  • Leuth said:
    What these players need isn't confidence, it's fear and abuse! 
    It's discipline. 
    Too many of the senior players like Hector for instance are just going through the motions. 
    Nowhere near giving 100%.

A bit of discipline on the training ground and telling some of the players a few home truths is not the same as fear and abuse. 
    To do that you need a manager that the players respect though. Also a decent Assistant manager so they can play good cop/bad cop if needs be. 
    Well exactly. 
    Let's hope that's who we get.

Won't be holding my breath though. 

I do agree with your post in that this squad needs a massive kick up the arse, but the main issue with this style of management is that it won't be very effective for long.

A manager like this would probably get an initial reaction and upturn in results, but if he's shouting and yelling at players the same way 2 months later, will players listen or will they think fuck this and down tools? 

We have a very young squad and shouting in their faces probably isn't going to get the best out of them. It's more likely to make them disappear into their shells, not want the ball through fear of a bollocking if they make a mistake and it'll have an adverse effect. 
  • Scoham said:

I couldn't agree more, but how many low points are we going to have. As SHG mentions above, the new manager needs to go back to basics and start rebuilding the club from the bottom up.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!