Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next Manager Search - August 2023

edited September 2023 in General Charlton

Of those who've been mentioned, I'd personally be happy with Lee Bowyer or Darren Moore.

Comments

• Options
    I wondered if we’d go a bit left field, from the usual suspects, maybe try and get an upcoming coach from the French, German or Spanish league.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Perhaps we should just rent a manager plus coaches on a monthly basis? 
    Bit like Valley Express?
  • Options
    As I posted in the Holden Sacked thread, I am not willing to write this season off yet so whoever the new manager is, they need to be someone willing to use our current squad, as we cannot afford our stronger players to not fit the new managers system. 
  • Options
    I think if we had any ambition and any money then Moore would be the no brainer option for me. 

Sadly this is Charlton and I can’t see it happening. 
  • Options
    I really don't want Lee Bowyer back. I think his early success for us was perfect timing for everyone. He was fresh, barely back into coaching and very positive. He took over a situation where there were no expectations and managed to sneak us into the play-offs. No-one expected us to get through and he then got a full season where over time the recruitment worked and we had that incredible play-off win. The positivity drained out after that though and the cracks started to show. Angry Lee came back and I haven't seen anything since to indicate that he's ever left that negative, survive at all costs mentality. At Birmingham he was barely keeping them up and bemoaning everything that came his way. I think back to the 'the players give me everything' Bowyer from the start of his management career and I think that person is gone. I can't take another run of players getting hauled off for not being aggressive enough and complaints about everything and anything. 
    I don't blame Bowyer specifically because there are so many people to blame, but his failure to motivate himself and the team after the Championship relegation is what set the stage for the Sandgaard ownership to fail and us to become mired as a midtable L1 team which we may never recover from. Sandgaard would have failed before long regardless, but Bowyer losing his mind and going in on everyone meant that it happened as quickly as it possibly could have. I still like him for his initial run with us but I think a return might just sully it
    I do agree with what you are saying. That championship season made Bowyer a very negative manager both on and off the pitch. But he’s had a break from the game so maybe it’s different now?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    NabySarr said:
    I really don't want Lee Bowyer back. I think his early success for us was perfect timing for everyone. He was fresh, barely back into coaching and very positive. He took over a situation where there were no expectations and managed to sneak us into the play-offs. No-one expected us to get through and he then got a full season where over time the recruitment worked and we had that incredible play-off win. The positivity drained out after that though and the cracks started to show. Angry Lee came back and I haven't seen anything since to indicate that he's ever left that negative, survive at all costs mentality. At Birmingham he was barely keeping them up and bemoaning everything that came his way. I think back to the 'the players give me everything' Bowyer from the start of his management career and I think that person is gone. I can't take another run of players getting hauled off for not being aggressive enough and complaints about everything and anything. 
    I don't blame Bowyer specifically because there are so many people to blame, but his failure to motivate himself and the team after the Championship relegation is what set the stage for the Sandgaard ownership to fail and us to become mired as a midtable L1 team which we may never recover from. Sandgaard would have failed before long regardless, but Bowyer losing his mind and going in on everyone meant that it happened as quickly as it possibly could have. I still like him for his initial run with us but I think a return might just sully it
    I do agree with what you are saying. That championship season made Bowyer a very negative manager both on and off the pitch. But he’s had a break from the game so maybe it’s different now?
    I again agree with this he was never the same manager after the injury crisis. 
  • Options
    Would be delighted if it's Moore but think its a long shot. He won't be short of better and nearer offers in the coming months and I can't see him suffering fools gladly - we'll need to tick a lot of boxes I'm not sure we're capable of.
  • Options
    Luke Williams is one to watch 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Luke Williams is one to watch 

This I'd really like but I don't see him leaving Notts County yet. 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:

Of those who've been mentioned, I'd personally be happy with Lee Bowyer or Darren Moore.
    Agreed
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Gribbo said:

I'd choose Darren Moore from that list, as he's the best dressed. 
    Gok Wan would have more of a clue in appointing the next incumbent, so best dressed would be a good call 
  • Options
    Maybe we can be one of them clubs who make an early season change and get promoted... Nah who am I kidding it won't happen here 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wouldn't be opposed to Jason Pearce in charge.

But he'll need to have a similar run out of the starting blocks, to when Lee Bowyer took over.

The attitude on here, almost feels at times as though we need to be signing Managers / Players who have already proven themselves.

A lot of the successful Manager | Players at the lower reaches of the EFL, are often because they've been trusted with their first opportunity, and have taken it.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    The problem is that if it is different, for how long will it stay that way? Bowyer lost his mind when the cumulative lack of support with signings and injuries caught up with him. We've had new owners for a couple of months and we're already dealing with too many injuries and not enough signings. If he comes back all zen he'll soon revert because the working conditions haven't really changed
  • Options
    So now when we should be scrabbling around trying to fill the gaps in the squad, we are now scrabbling around trying to fill the managers' dugout.
  • Options
    Bowyer, Cowleys or Moore would be my choice
  • Options
    I suppose it all depends what the SMT are looking for 
    out of all the top picks for me if its experience they want then

Wilder
    or 
    Warburton

If they want young fresh and hungry

Darren Moore
    Nathan Jones
    Mark Bonner
  • Options
    Scott Parker anyone ? 
    Anyone please. Unlikely and unproven at this level. Surely Appleton's time has come. Accept no substitute. It's a marriage made in heaven 😉
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Jason Pearce with a senior mentor with some nous,  Lennie Lawrence!
  • Options
    We need Merlin the Magician on steroids 

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!