Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• Kap10 said:
    Kap10 said:
    No white smoke above the Valley yet then.

Is that Holden?
    I dunno where Holden is but to me looks more like somewhere like Beirut?
    Brazil.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Yes we’re in deep doodoo. I gave up on this clutch of owners/smt around 6 weeks ago.
    Hope we get a ‘ strong man ‘ manager, not holding my breath.
    Bowyer for me but appears he’s not been contacted.

Personally I’d even welcome back Robinson, his scouse verbal diarrhoea worth putting up with if he could sort us out.
    Anybody but Appleton!
    Pol pot?

Why are you so against Appleton?

I am certainly not "pro" him but he seems perfectly qualified to be the manager of a league 1 club.  What has he done that's so bad you would have anybody else other than him?
    I feel we need an individual with a bit of an aura about him to sort out our defence/ lack of it.
    Bowyer & Robinson have that aura imo, Appleton I feel does not.

Having said that the ‘ anybody but Appleton’ comment was born out of frustration, it was not meant literally. 
    My apologies for not being clearer

I know little of him other than what’s been posted on here.
    If he does become our next manager in the revolving door, he will get my full support.

This is what really frustrates me, loads of people keep saying anyone but x or y and are only saying because everyone else is.

Appleton was a joke, about 10 years ago, because he had 3 jobs in six months jumping from administration Pompey, Oystens Blackpool then to Blackburn, who were also a basket case at the time.

He isn't going to rip up any trees but I think we would get a par result out of him, which is top half at best.
    Never follow the majority opinion if that is what you are implying, over 60 years of following our club has hopefully given me a detachment/independence.
    Besides there is no majority opinion on next manager.

Sadly,  bottom line is we may squabble amongst ourselves but the fans views count for nothing as we all know.

mendonca said:
    ButtleJR said:
    ButtleJR said:
    ButtleJR said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    We’ve talked a lot over the period about Leam Richardson. (He would be my first choice)

Has it ever been confirmed or denied that he applied to the role?
    It's not been confirmed that anyone has applied for the role.
    Appleton and Cowley definitely have...
    Not confirmed from the club though. It's all indirect information, where Cawley and the ilk are told stuff or hear stuff.
    The club won't confirm who was interviewed. A mate of mine literally met Cowley at the valley... And Appleton was there the same day. Not been fed this by anyone senior!
    Met Cowley ? I wouldn’t recognise him in passing personally. 

Did he also meet Appleton or are you saying you understand he was there the same day?
    Was told by him he was there the same day... 30th August. 
    Cowley told a random that Appleton was also interviewed earlier. 

He meant his friend told him, not Cowley.
  • ButtleJR said:
    ButtleJR said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    We’ve talked a lot over the period about Leam Richardson. (He would be my first choice)

Not confirmed from the club though. It's all indirect information, where Cawley and the ilk are told stuff or hear stuff.
    The club won't confirm who was interviewed. A mate of mine literally met Cowley at the valley... And Appleton was there the same day. Not been fed this by anyone senior!
    Do you know if this was during the first or second round of interviews……?
  • NabySarr said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Next appointment is absolutely crucial, without sounding too doomsday, balls this one up, and they’ll be little left of the club in league 2, we need someone who can unite the fans, and not be so naff they’ll get the heave ho by Christmas.
    More realistically, a poor appointment will leave us stuck in mid table mediocrity for the 3rd season running.
    Make no mistake a poor appointment could leave us in the 4th division for the first time in our history.
    Even if we gave it to Pearce there is no way we get relegated. There is some proper shit in this league, Cheltenham haven’t even scored a goal yet. Our squad is far too good to get relegated, we’ve had 1 striker, no depth, been playing loads of teenagers and a load of players injured yet are still 16th. A poor appointment would have us bottom half and still a low point in our history. Anyone half decent will be able to match Holden/Jackson mid-table achievements and anyone good should get this team in or near the top 6 
    May I remind you we have lost 6 in 8 ;)
    There are 3 teams that haven’t won a game yet. Every season people halve a meltdown about going down to league 2, but we’re never even close
  • It's all a smoke screen. The next manager is
    Roger FxxxxxG Johnson 
  • edited September 2023
    Is there anything really worth reading on this thread?
    I come back on the site after a few hours off and see 300 + new posts but no new "new manager" thread so I know that it will be the usual garbage, so I just fast-forward to the the most recent comment, but still nothing of interest.
    I don't understand the constant need to post something, anything.

So why did you post nothing of interest?
    Move along please, there is nothing for you here unless you have a gag about Indian food 🤔
  • NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Next appointment is absolutely crucial, without sounding too doomsday, balls this one up, and they’ll be little left of the club in league 2, we need someone who can unite the fans, and not be so naff they’ll get the heave ho by Christmas.
    More realistically, a poor appointment will leave us stuck in mid table mediocrity for the 3rd season running.
    Make no mistake a poor appointment could leave us in the 4th division for the first time in our history.
    Even if we gave it to Pearce there is no way we get relegated. There is some proper shit in this league, Cheltenham haven’t even scored a goal yet. Our squad is far too good to get relegated, we’ve had 1 striker, no depth, been playing loads of teenagers and a load of players injured yet are still 16th. A poor appointment would have us bottom half and still a low point in our history. Anyone half decent will be able to match Holden/Jackson mid-table achievements and anyone good should get this team in or near the top 6 
    May I remind you we have lost 6 in 8 ;)
    There are 3 teams that haven’t won a game yet. Every season people halve a meltdown about going down to league 2, but we’re never even close
    Haven’t been close to going up either 
  • Sponsored links:

• ButtleJR said:
    ButtleJR said:
    ButtleJR said:
    ButtleJR said:
    RC_CAFC said:

Did he also meet Appleton or are you saying you understand he was there the same day?
    Thank
    you. 

Surprised we have taken this long to reach a decision if ‘interview’ was last Wednesday. 

Second interviews were yesterday and Tuesday. Not sure if those two progressed to that stage. Though was told Cowley's interview went well.
    I see. 

In my head I didn’t really envisage second round interviews as you might in the corporate world. 

What are you going to learn second time around in an interview where in truth most is evident on their CV and the football grapevine?

Likewise given our structure I don’t see they are going to meet someone different to nod it through. 
  • ButtleJR said:
    ButtleJR said:
    ButtleJR said:
    ButtleJR said:
    RC_CAFC said:

Thank
    you. 

Surprised we have taken this long to reach a decision if ‘interview’ was last Wednesday. 

Second interviews were yesterday and Tuesday. Not sure if those two progressed to that stage. Though was told Cowley's interview went well.
    I see. 

In my head I didn’t really envisage second round interviews as you might in the corporate world. 

What are you going to learn second time around in an interview where in truth most is evident on their CV and the football grapevine?

Likewise given our structure I don’t see they are going to meet someone different to nod it through. 
    Second interview might be more about renumeration etc? You don’t want to get to the point of whittling it down to one person, offering them the job, then finding you can’t agree terms. Maybe. 
  • IS today the day then? Supposed to be in place by the weekend and being Friday, its pretty close to said weekend!

No doubt that whoever comes in will divide opinion but hopefully they hit the ground running and get people on side!

C'mon Charlton, end the suspense! :smile:
  • ButtleJR said:
    RC_CAFC said:

Why would the club confirm it?
  • House analogy 🏠

Once upon a time we had to rent, many miles away in a land of plastic people on the borders of Surrey. We children were upset and missed our green valley. The adults after 7 years away managed to get organised and after a short spell in the east end of London we returned home to our ramshackled house. 

Like magic the derelict home was turned into a detached house with a couple of acres. Suddenly we were entertaining world famous guests from mansions in Manchester and Villas in Birmingham. The folk from Premier Elite houses visited for about 7 years until we couldn't afford to hob-nob in this company anymore. Our detached house came crumbling down and we all had to fit into a one bed room rented  flat owned by a strange man from Belgium, Ugh...

The children started screaming and crying as they couldn't stand this shitty flat we were now living in and despite a boy called Ronnie saying we were soon to return to a land of milk and honey we just couldn't believe him as he said many porkies.

Being children we don't really understand but a nasty man called Matthew turned up and spent our money on Bitches, cars and bread and also I heard my dad say he paid for his wife to have a lovely pair of top bollocks ? 

A man with a guitar said he would built a mansion fit for a king but just big words with no substance again.

A man with beady eyes may soon be living with us or a man with a little beard and who's bro will join as well.

Listen out, I can hear more children coming along to have a scream and a moan...
  • edited September 2023
    Whoever it is I already don't >:) like him. Boooh!!
  • PWADDICK said:
    Need the new man in before Monday to give them a whole week with the players 
    Seems to me the less time coaches spend with the players, the better we are - must be so confusing being a modern footballer 
  • Sponsored links:

• ButtleJR said:
    ButtleJR said:
    ButtleJR said:
    ButtleJR said:
    RC_CAFC said:

Thank
    you. 

I see. 

Second interview might be more about renumeration etc? You don’t want to get to the point of whittling it down to one person, offering them the job, then finding you can’t agree terms. Maybe. 
    That's information you could have found out about at the first interview.  'So if you were to be offered the position what range of salary are you hoping for, we are offering within a range of x-y .   You define the actual amount on offering the position, you know you are going to agree within the range before you offer the job, or you don't offer it.    
  • edited September 2023
    NabySarr said:
    Even if we gave it to Pearce there is no way we get relegated.
    For Heaven's sake, don't set these clowns a target like that! You know that's likely to be the only target they hit.

NabySarr said:
    There is some proper shit in this league, Cheltenham haven’t even scored a goal yet.
    They haven't played us yet.

NabySarr said:
    Our squad is far too good to get relegated, we’ve had 1 striker, no depth, been playing loads of teenagers and a load of players injured yet are still 16th.
    We're only a month into the season ... plenty more injuries to come yet. All we need is an injury to the skipper and we're well and truly shafted. If teams below us start picking up points, which some will do eventually, we're sliding down the table and into the drop zone.

NabySarr said:
    A poor appointment would have us bottom half and still a low point in our history. Anyone half decent will be able to match Holden/Jackson mid-table achievements and anyone good should get this team in or near the top 6 
    A competent appointment will be able to sort out our sieve-like defence so that we stop shipping pathetic goals every match. A competent appointment will have us playing at an acceptable level away from home instead of the now-traditional slow, out-fought and overrun efforts that characterise our first periods away from The Valley with the inevitable head-drop when we're a goal or two down by HT. A competent appointment will ensure we have our players switched on going past the 80'-mark of matches; we've conceded goals in the last 10 minutes of too many games already this season.
  • ButtleJR said:
    ButtleJR said:
    ButtleJR said:
    ButtleJR said:
    RC_CAFC said:

Thank
    you. 

I see. 

Richard Cawley confirmed a final shortlist was drawn up after last week’s interviews and there were second interviews on Tuesday and Wednesday this week.
  • PWADDICK said:
    Need the new man in before Monday to give them a whole week with the players 
    Not with 2 of our centre backs and goalie he won't. They will be away on international duty.
  • Appointing a new manager now is an open door anyway to excuse crap results.

Sod that.

Getting to know the group, impose my style, loads to take on board, moving in the right direction….all that guff.

No.

New bloke, keep your mouth shut, get your head down, and win the next eight in a row. 

(After that you can try the introductions and hail fellow well met stuff).

There might well be reasons given for not winning but that’s whinging, there are no excuses for not winning the next eight in a row.

The reason will be because the next manager is crap and should then be sacked.

Or what do they say in interviews huh?

‘Give me the job but I may or may not win’.

(Methven won’t mind our results will he, as long as his lifelong passion Oxford United keep on winning?)

Apply somewhere else then if you can’t guarantee promotion. Don’t be a plastic front man whilst our remaining decent players are sold off.
  • edited September 2023
    Uboat said:
    At the end of the day no matter who get appointed, win two league games in a row, go over to the fans and throw a few passionate clenched fists around,  and then tell Terry in the interview afterwards how amazing the fans were, everyone will be positive about them no matter who it is. 
    ‘We’ve got our Charlton back’

Gets us  <3
  • seth plum said:
    Appointing a new manager now is an open door anyway to excuse crap results.

Sod that.

Getting to know the group, impose my style, loads to take on board, moving in the right direction….all that guff.

No.

New bloke, keep your mouth shut, get your head down, and win the next eight in a row. 

(After that you can try the introductions and hail fellow well met stuff).

There might well be reasons given for not winning but that’s whinging, there are no excuses for not winning the next eight in a row.

The reason will be because the next manager is crap and should then be sacked.

Or what do they say in interviews huh?

‘Give me the job but I may or may not win’.

(Methven won’t mind our results will he, as long as his lifelong passion Oxford United keep on winning?)

Apply somewhere else then if you can’t guarantee promotion. Don’t be a plastic front man whilst our remaining decent players are sold off.
    Are the players good enough to win the next game, no ifs no buts?
  • No rush for a new manager, as long as they get a few days to pre script their cliched response after we lose 7-6 to Stevenage. 
  • What if...all these names being leaked is to lengthen the odds on our actual appointment...Charlie and his mates all lump on someone at 33/1, appoint them and...bingo...funds for a striker on deadline day
    Well if I was correct, they forgot to announce pre-deadline. Dickheads.
  • At the end of the day no matter who get appointed, win two league games in a row, go over to the fans and throw a few passionate clenched fists around,  and then tell Terry in the interview afterwards how amazing the fans were, everyone will be positive about them no matter who it is. 
    That might win over some of the fans but not all. Certainly not this one. 

I remember cringing on the opening day of the season when Holden & the players were giving it the big 'un to the Covered End like we had just won the league. Too much falseness & fakery. SM like Insta has made people "like" things at a drop of a hat. 
    I was going to like this post until I saw your last line and realised that you would be offended had I done so 😉
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!