Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• Is there really a significant “anyone but Bowyer” contingent ?

Whoever takes over faces a string of Must-win games, and will need the fans on his side. 

Not gonna happen with
    Appleton
    Steve Evans
    Other L1 small club managers
    Someone from India

Tough decision for the “Board”. 

Whoever takes over faces a string of Must-win games, and will need the fans on his side. 

Not gonna happen with
    Appleton
    Steve Evans
    Someone from India

Win a couple of games and that will change.
  • No white smoke above the Valley yet then.

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Yes we’re in deep doodoo. I gave up on this clutch of owners/smt around 6 weeks ago.
    Hope we get a ‘ strong man ‘ manager, not holding my breath.
    Bowyer for me but appears he’s not been contacted.

Personally I’d even welcome back Robinson, his scouse verbal diarrhoea worth putting up with if he could sort us out.
    Anybody but Appleton!
    Pol pot?

Why are you so against Appleton?

I am certainly not "pro" him but he seems perfectly qualified to be the manager of a league 1 club.  What has he done that's so bad you would have anybody else other than him?
    I feel we need an individual with a bit of an aura about him to sort out our defence/ lack of it.
    Bowyer & Robinson have that aura imo, Appleton I feel does not.

Having said that the ‘ anybody but Appleton’ comment was born out of frustration, it was not meant literally. 
    My apologies for not being clearer

I know little of him other than what’s been posted on here.
    If he does become our next manager in the revolving door, he will get my full support.

• Kap10 said:
    No white smoke above the Valley yet then.

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Is there really a significant “anyone but Bowyer” contingent ?

Not gonna happen with
    Appleton
    Steve Evans
    Someone from India

And if they don't? We are so un-united as a fan base as to the next manager...understandably...that nearly all of the options reportedly on the table, will be on a hiding to nothing., personally, I will get behind the new manager but if that manager had a Charlton connection, then I think they'd be given a little more time.
  • I don’t really care anymore who gets the job. Apart from 2 seasons we’ve been absolute shite for the last 15 years. 

We’ve had shit owners, shit managers and shit players.

I don’t expect anything different under this new mob, but I’m also not angry at them, if it wasn’t them it would only be another bunch of shit owners that acquired us. 

I just go to the games now to drink with friends and hope that we’re competitive.
    Yup. This. It just feels masochistic to give a fuck.
  • Sponsored links:

Not gonna happen with
    Appleton
    Steve Evans
    Someone from India

Well I think there have been as many posters vehemently against Bowyer as in favour, so yes I would say there is significant number who don’t want him back. I don’t think “Anyone but” is correct however.
  • I wonder if I can get my money back for the Charlton TV season ticket I purchased......I've lost hope
  • We’ve talked a lot over the period about Leam Richardson. (He would be my first choice)

Has it ever been confirmed or denied that he applied to the role?
  • edited September 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Yes we’re in deep doodoo. I gave up on this clutch of owners/smt around 6 weeks ago.
    Hope we get a ‘ strong man ‘ manager, not holding my breath.
    Bowyer for me but appears he’s not been contacted.

Personally I’d even welcome back Robinson, his scouse verbal diarrhoea worth putting up with if he could sort us out.
    Anybody but Appleton!
    Pol pot?

Why are you so against Appleton?

I am certainly not "pro" him but he seems perfectly qualified to be the manager of a league 1 club.  What has he done that's so bad you would have anybody else other than him?
    I feel we need an individual with a bit of an aura about him to sort out our defence/ lack of it.
    Bowyer & Robinson have that aura imo, Appleton I feel does not.

Having said that the ‘ anybody but Appleton’ comment was born out of frustration, it was not meant literally. 
    My apologies for not being clearer

I know little of him other than what’s been posted on here.
    If he does become our next manager in the revolving door, he will get my full support.

This is what really frustrates me, loads of people keep saying anyone but x or y and are only saying because everyone else is.

Appleton was a joke, about 10 years ago, because he had 3 jobs in six months jumping from administration Pompey, Oystens Blackpool then to Blackburn, who were also a basket case at the time.

He isn't going to rip up any trees but I think we would get a par result out of him, which is top half at best.
  • RC_CAFC said:
    We’ve talked a lot over the period about Leam Richardson. (He would be my first choice)

It's not been confirmed that anyone has applied for the role.
    Appleton and Cowley definitely have...
  • edited September 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Is there really a significant “anyone but Bowyer” contingent ?

Not gonna happen with
    Appleton
    Steve Evans
    Someone from India

And if they don't? We are so un-united as a fan base as to the next manager...understandably...that nearly all of the options reportedly on the table, will be on a hiding to nothing., personally, I will get behind the new manager but if that manager had a Charlton connection, then I think they'd be given a little more time.
    Or you give it to Pearce and you end up with a Les Read?

Might be a good manager one day but it's far too soon.
  • Warburton would be a solid move too. Well known to Scott and left West Ham to get back into management. 
  • Sponsored links:

• My choice would be Mark Warburton. Decent manager and coach . Also had some success at a higher level.
    Warburton would be by far the best choice. So I think that probably rules him out 😀
  • ct_addick said:
    I wonder if I can get my money back for the Charlton TV season ticket I purchased......I've lost hope
    I actually bought my season ticket because I rated Dean Holden and thought he would steer us towards the play-offs.
  • If you asked me straight after Holden left about Warburton I'd say no, ask me now? I'd take your hands off for him. 
  • edited September 2023
    I'd take Bowyer back over many of the other names and I really didn't like him at the end. 

Whatever I want is immaterial. We'll get whoever they get.
  • Genuine question - Nathan Jones has been in the frame but I seem to recall quite a lot of hostility on here whenever he was mentioned. Is this down to some known incident or behavioural trait because he's familiar with Charlton, I thought he did a good job a Luton and he might be a good fit for us?
  • Richard J said:
    I am probably biased given my disclosure last night,but I feel quite positive about Appleton.

Like us he needs this to work and I think he will be good given his record at Lincoln and Oxford.

Onwards and upwards.

Here we go...
  • At the end of the day no matter who get appointed, win two league games in a row, go over to the fans and throw a few passionate clenched fists around,  and then tell Terry in the interview afterwards how amazing the fans were, everyone will be positive about them no matter who it is. 
    Yeah it’s the lose the first three games, and straight down the tunnel that’s more likely recently with us
  • ButtleJR said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    We’ve talked a lot over the period about Leam Richardson. (He would be my first choice)

It's not been confirmed that anyone has applied for the role.
    Appleton and Cowley definitely have...
    Not confirmed from the club though. It's all indirect information, where Cawley and the ilk are told stuff or hear stuff.
  • I’d be quite happy if they didn’t appoint anyone tomorrow and extended the search into next week if it meant we didn’t bring in an uninspiring journeyman like Appleton.
    Oi, Are you reading this Charlie !
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!