Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• What formation do the cowleys tend to use ? Any idea ? 
    Most often they have played with a 442
  • Hal1x said:
    seth plum said:
    So from what I can glean the decision to impact Holden was taken just after Port Vale and before Oxford United. The evidence being the approach to Powell before the Oxford game.
    The subsequent scrabbling, interviews and delays suggests to me that this Shamocracy are not in control or managing the situation in a coherent way, yet I bet they present the next manager as the golden person they always wanted.
    I think all their decisions are purely about money, consultancy fees, pay offs, and persuading distant investors that their money is safe because they are on top of it all.
    Holden was a dead man walking going to Charlie Methven’s Oxford United, and since his departure they haven’t had a plan. If they had a clear direction of travel then the players recruited by Scott would be the ones the new guy suggested, except there is no new guy.
    "impact Holden"?? 
    Yes. Put the boot into Holden.
  • edited September 2023
    fenaddick said:
    Cawley again using the term Head Coach rather than manager, seems intentional.
    Think it just suggests they won't be super involved in transfers which is fine by me
    I actually disagree, surely a manager who gets no say in what players are given to him can't be expected to make them all perform.
    I suspect they'll be expected to tell Scott that they want X type of player for X position and then the recruitment team go and find a list of players for the head coach to say yes or no to. Perfectly fine and in line with the best performing clubs in modern football. Gives the manager more time to focus on the training pitch and means if the coach is fired/poached then the squad isn't moulded in his image
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    No problem with Danny Cowley and Bro.

Charlton Athletic are an established 3rd tier club and many of our fan/critic base still think we are massive. 

Football isn't quantum mechanics when no one's watching you jump divisions.
    Luton, Coventry, Bournemouth, Brighton etc,
    dropped to the depth and it was being realistic that made the journey back up not harping on about past glories.

Tony Bloom is a genius but for most clubs it's trying to get everyone working together despite the boardroom shenanigans.

Hard work, a plan, strategy, good coaching,  rub of the green. So many components need to dovetail for success on the pitch over a long season.

Forget our Premier days (for the moment) as that is history and just deal with the present of having a team/ squad that can elevate up the table in League 1.
    I don't rate Cowley because I think we're massive? Talk about putting words in my mouth!

I'll return the favour, you rate Cowley because you like his little beard

I didn't quote you so what's your problem 🤔
    I will now then 🤷🏻‍♂️
    Your words speak for themselves if you believe saying Scott was kicked in the head by a horse if he appoints the Cowley's is anything other than disengenuos.

I first saw them working Way down the football Pyramid years ago and came across well with their coaching from the touchline.
    It was a metaphorical horse.
    But you still think they're pony  ;)
  • Croydon said:
    Surely Parker would be the one appointment that wouldn't divide the fanbase, as no one would want him here.
    If he divided the fan base then by definition some would want him here. Me included. I have no interest whatsoever beyond criminality in who is appointed as long as they get us out of this division. That goes for all the names.
  • Well I suppose if some of us could get over the fact that Parker ruined our perfect season and grieviously undermined Curbs carefully constructed side, he has the credentials and winning mentality to be a first class manager certainly at this level.
    Who knows, if he were to lead us on a barnstorming successful promotion chase it could end up as the ultimate redemption.
    Also, if he timed right he might make himself a shoe-in for the Chelsea job  ;)

• Chunes said:
    I'm confident Scott isn't going to appoint the Cowley's, unless he's been kicked in the head by a horse. 
    Naaaaay !
  • fenaddick said:
    fenaddick said:
    Think it just suggests they won't be super involved in transfers which is fine by me
    I actually disagree, surely a manager who gets no say in what players are given to him can't be expected to make them all perform.
    I suspect they'll be expected to tell Scott that they want X type of player for X position and then the recruitment team go and find a list of players for the head coach to say yes or no to. Perfectly fine and in line with the best performing clubs in modern football. Gives the manager more time to focus on the training pitch and means if the coach is fired/poached then the squad isn't moulded in his image
    This is what I tried saying earlier but you've worded it better

managers stay around for 2 years these days. Clubs can't afford to mould new squads every 2 years or less, as we are proving! That's why, the new manager will fit into Scott's favoured formation. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I think for a clue who might be appointed you've got to look at Holden's preferred formation and style of play. As Technical Director, Scott sets the playing style and formation of the team, he then signs the players best for the system and appoints a manager that fits with that style (we're told Holden was the SMT's choice). Brighton are one of the best examples of a club using this system. It's supposedly stops player churn every time a manager leaves or is sacked and allows continued development of younger players, so you always have players increasing in value rather than decreasing. All sounds great but obviously it's been a pretty awful start to the season and the PR driven CM is already trying to appease the fans by mentioning ex managers. 
  • There's absolutely no way we should go for Parker. He will have no idea how to play in the 3rd division. 
    He seems to do pretty well in the second division 
  • Parker would do for me, I still thank him for making my day up at Leeds all those years ago, obviously he isn't universally popular.
  • Forget Scott Parker. No chance is he dropping to League One. 
  • I'd like Parker to get the job but only on the proviso that the comms team overlay The Streets on any video/audio interviews he does.
  • fenaddick said:
    It’s not been going very well for Chelsea 
  • Sponsored links:

• mendonca said:
    Not sure I'd welcome Parker. This is due his complete strop at Bournemouth, more than from his exit at Charlton. He's alienated himself.

Agreed, he did himself no favours with that moan. O'Neil by contrast knuckled down and quickly got another PL job when Bournemouth sacked him.
  • fenaddick said:
    It’s not been going very well for Chelsea 
    Works pretty well for most other clubs though. Managers have become expendable so this way of doing things means you aren’t too reliant on the manager. 

The modern way of doing things is you have a style of play and recruit players that fit it, then you can recruit managers that fit that. Also means it’s easy to replace players and managers that move on, look at Brighton, Luton, Brentford etc they’ve lost players and managers and easily replaced them and continued to improve by using this kind of set up 
  • Leuth said:
    Please stop talking about Scott Parker
    Did your family get you a Parker 7 shirt for Xmas just before That Transfer Window too? Yeah. 
    Mercifully that summer I was the happy recipient of a Di Canio 11 shirt. I still have that one, it's an obscure football shirt afficionado's dream
  • Leuth said:
    Please stop talking about Scott Parker
    Did your family get you a Parker 7 shirt for Xmas just before That Transfer Window too? Yeah. 
    Mercifully that summer I was the happy recipient of a Di Canio 11 shirt. I still have that one, it's an obscure football shirt afficionado's dream
    whats Paolo up to these days?

might as well throw his name into the hat
  • There’s also that clubs are more and more progressing towards having a system of play from youth through to first team. Eases progression for each age group towards the first team squad. That makes it very difficult to appoint managers who want to play something different. It’s a system that works well abroad and I think the days of managers like Curbs who controlled a club from top to bottom are long gone. 
  • Scott will appoint a yes man 
    Lee Johnson
  • fenaddick said:
    I would much prefer when the manager runs the football side of things and is allowed to get on with it, with no interference.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!