Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• Big nope for Scott Parker for me. Got 2 promotions under his belt, yes, but both with teams vastly superior to the rest in their league, anyone would have got promoted with them really. 

Warburton has done pretty much nothing since his Brentford days, and left there due to a lot of interference with signings and everything from the SMT, so can't see him working with our lot.

Cowley's are a massive meh, I don't think anything they've done is impressive.

Appleton is the same, just a very average manager with experience but not much else going for him.

Richardson is an interesting one, got Wigan promoted amidst their turmoil, and got Pompey promoted as an assistant to Cook before that too (and had followed Cook around mostly before breaking off from him during Wigan's admin woes) 

Moore for me would be the best choice however, provided we give him time. His managerial record is good, but the stories of his man management and focus on the psychological side of the game I feel is where he'll make a difference on our squad
  • would love parker so that i can finally get over my heartbreak of him leaving, no other reason. 
  • I'd be happy with the Cowleys. Can't see us getting much better tbh.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cowleys have a very good record , Id be happy with them 
  • edited September 2023
    Pompey might not have had the best overall squad in recent years, but they had some good players and were much better than a 10th place finish (and 12th when Cowley's sacked). 

That sounds like us - not the best squad, but some good players and overall underperformance. A high winrate is tempting but it's madness to bring in a manager that has similarly underperformed at the same level and similar circumstances .  

The Cowley's were successful when they stuck to their direct playbook, but with better players they've struggled to adapt. They're not the managers to take this squad, shape its identity on the pitch and march us into the play-offs. I'm confident Scott will see that. If he doesn't, we're in for it. 
  • seth plum said:
    So from what I can glean the decision to impact Holden was taken just after Port Vale and before Oxford United. The evidence being the approach to Powell before the Oxford game.
    The subsequent scrabbling, interviews and delays suggests to me that this Shamocracy are not in control or managing the situation in a coherent way, yet I bet they present the next manager as the golden person they always wanted.
    I think all their decisions are purely about money, consultancy fees, pay offs, and persuading distant investors that their money is safe because they are on top of it all.
    Holden was a dead man walking going to Charlie Methven’s Oxford United, and since his departure they haven’t had a plan. If they had a clear direction of travel then the players recruited by Scott would be the ones the new guy suggested, except there is no new guy.
    "impact Holden"?? 
  • Feels like if it isn’t Bowyer lots of people will flip their lids with the owners. Cawley is reporting that it would be on Bow to apply, although it would be nice if they’d approached him I think it’s something we have to remember when someone else gets appointed. Feel like it devalues valid criticisms otherwise 
  • Chunes said:
    No problem with Danny Cowley and Bro.

Charlton Athletic are an established 3rd tier club and many of our fan/critic base still think we are massive. 

Football isn't quantum mechanics when no one's watching you jump divisions.
    Luton, Coventry, Bournemouth, Brighton etc,
    dropped to the depth and it was being realistic that made the journey back up not harping on about past glories.

Tony Bloom is a genius but for most clubs it's trying to get everyone working together despite the boardroom shenanigans.

Hard work, a plan, strategy, good coaching,  rub of the green. So many components need to dovetail for success on the pitch over a long season.

Forget our Premier days (for the moment) as that is history and just deal with the present of having a team/ squad that can elevate up the table in League 1.
    I don't rate Cowley because I think we're massive? Talk about putting words in my mouth!

I'll return the favour, you rate Cowley because you like his little beard

I didn't quote you so what's your problem 🤔
    I will now then 🤷🏻‍♂️
    Your words speak for themselves if you believe saying Scott was kicked in the head by a horse if he appoints the Cowley's is anything other than disengenuos.

I first saw them working Way down the football Pyramid years ago and came across well with their coaching from the touchline.
  • fenaddick said:
    Feels like if it isn’t Bowyer lots of people will flip their lids with the owners. Cawley is reporting that it would be on Bow to apply, although it would be nice if they’d approached him I think it’s something we have to remember when someone else gets appointed. Feel like it devalues valid criticisms otherwise 
    "You are in an unfortunate position. Your mother has said that she will never speak to you again if you do not marry Mr Bowyer. But I shall never speak to you again, if you do!"
  • If you look at Scott's previous appointments the Cowley's don't seem to fit with the style of play. They are no doubt effective operators at this level, but they're more used to seasoned pro's with a direct style of play. I don't think they suit the players at our club.

I think the club seem to be approaching the recruitment in the right way (from the outside). Not rushed, but not stalling. 1st and 2nd interviews and it seems thorough.

The bottom line though is whoever they get, needs to be the right person for us at this time.
  • What formation do the cowleys tend to use ? Any idea ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Valley11 said:
    Uboat said:
    Would the Cowley brothers be taken seriously by the players? I don’t know a lot about them, but I get the impression they might lack authority or gravitas. At least with Appleton you get the sense that no one would be taking the piss. 
    Agree but I think Appleton comes across even worse. Has an odd way about him, a bit wet. 
    Cowley has more charisma than Appleton, but the former not my cup of tea.
  • edited September 2023
    Looking back to last week, Darren Moore was the only one I didn't put an X against when I went through some Contenders.
    Mainly because of our divided and punch drunk fan base. 

I don't know a lot about Moore's personality and style but as he left Wednesday after getting them promoted he may be the only appointment who will be given a few games before being turned on "you don't know what you're doing".
    It happened to Chris Powell with his inherited squad at Dagenham.

A tough gig is Charlton's Manager/head coach and boy will they need some luck.
  • I wonder if an admin could start a poll with who we'd like to see as manager. Be interesting to see who the preferred realistic option is (ie. not Powell as we know he's turned it down).

Bowyer
    Richardson
    Cowley 
    Appleton
    Moore
    Jones
    Johnson
    Warburton
    Wilder
    Jason Pearce
    Bonner
    Jon Brady

Any other (please name).
    Curbs
  • would love parker so that i can finally get over my heartbreak of him leaving, no other reason. 
    Some years ago, in an interview, Parker said that one day he'd like to return to Charlton as manager...just saying.
  • edited September 2023
    What formation do the cowleys tend to use ? Any idea ? 
    Used 4-4-2 and 3-4-1-2 at Pompey, which I think are both good options with what we have. Lincoln was mostly 4-4-2 and 4-3-3 I believe 

Isted
    Watson Hector Jones Edun 
    Chem Camara Dobson CBT
               Leaburn May

Isted  
         Abankwah Hector Jones 
    Watson                              Edun 
                 Camara Dobson 
                          Chem 
                 Leaburn    May 
  • I heard from someone we interviewed neal ardley but also heard he’s not getting the job from the same person but show’s how far we have fallen if he’s the calibre of manager we’re looking at
  • Chunes said:
    No problem with Danny Cowley and Bro.

Charlton Athletic are an established 3rd tier club and many of our fan/critic base still think we are massive. 

Football isn't quantum mechanics when no one's watching you jump divisions.
    Luton, Coventry, Bournemouth, Brighton etc,
    dropped to the depth and it was being realistic that made the journey back up not harping on about past glories.

Tony Bloom is a genius but for most clubs it's trying to get everyone working together despite the boardroom shenanigans.

Hard work, a plan, strategy, good coaching,  rub of the green. So many components need to dovetail for success on the pitch over a long season.

Forget our Premier days (for the moment) as that is history and just deal with the present of having a team/ squad that can elevate up the table in League 1.
    I don't rate Cowley because I think we're massive? Talk about putting words in my mouth!

I'll return the favour, you rate Cowley because you like his little beard

I didn't quote you so what's your problem 🤔
    I will now then 🤷🏻‍♂️
    Your words speak for themselves if you believe saying Scott was kicked in the head by a horse if he appoints the Cowley's is anything other than disengenuos.

I first saw them working Way down the football Pyramid years ago and came across well with their coaching from the touchline.
    It was a metaphorical horse.
  • NabySarr said:
    What formation do the cowleys tend to use ? Any idea ? 
    Used 4-4-2 and 3-4-1-2 at Pompey, which I think are both good options with what we have. Lincoln was mostly 4-4-2 and 4-3-3 I believe 

Isted
    Watson Hector Jones Edun 
    Chem Camara Dobson CBT
               Leaburn May

Isted  
         Abankwah Hector Jones 
    Watson                              Edun 
                 Camara Dobson 
                          Chem 
                 Leaburn    May 
    You'd leave Fraser out?
This discussion has been closed.