Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• PWADDICK said:
    Second interviews going on in the next couple days, odds at this stage mean nothing
    Is it normal to have second interviews for football management jobs? It's not like normal forms of recruitment, where you have no idea what their track record in the job actually is, as you can see the results on the pitch for their previous roles. And the football grapevine will give you lots of background information as well.
  • Redrobo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Bookies ain't got a fudgin clue, that's why it keeps changing between about 5 people every 12 hours
    Bookies don’t care. They just adjust the odds to reflect the betting. Simples.
      Wheres @bobmunro?
    On a nappy changing refresher course 😉.
  • I don't want The Cows, not trying to milk it but I feel Darren would offer Moore.

😉
  • Would the Cowley brothers be taken seriously by the players? I don’t know a lot about them, but I get the impression they might lack authority or gravitas. At least with Appleton you get the sense that no one would be taking the piss. 
  • PWADDICK said:
    Second interviews going on in the next couple days, odds at this stage mean nothing
    Is it normal to have second interviews for football management jobs? It's not like normal forms of recruitment, where you have no idea what their track record in the job actually is, as you can see the results on the pitch for their previous roles. And the football grapevine will give you lots of background information as well.
    I can't imagine it's THAT unusual. One round to whittle out the prime contenders from the rest, then another round with the shortlisted few - like many other jobs.

It's more likely not to be a question about ability etc at the second round but when you start talking money, clauses, length of contract etc and maybe start playing the candidates against each other a bit.
  • Uboat said:
    Would the Cowley brothers be taken seriously by the players? I don’t know a lot about them, but I get the impression they might lack authority or gravitas. At least with Appleton you get the sense that no one would be taking the piss. 
    Agree but I think Appleton comes across even worse. Has an odd way about him, a bit wet. 
  • At least it'll be after the Pizza Trophy game. Not sure about Cawley interviewing Cowley after Crawley.
    On the back of having to type up his report about the game with Thomas’s, Campbell’s & Taylors and then Miles & Tracey walking in!!  🤯😂
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2023
    Uboat said:
    Would the Cowley brothers be taken seriously by the players? I don’t know a lot about them, but I get the impression they might lack authority or gravitas. At least with Appleton you get the sense that no one would be taking the piss. 
    I understand where you are coming from as they don't have that tough bloke aura about them

But as @Cafc43v3r says, if any of our players were taking the piss then that's a player issue and they don't belong here.

I would be quite optimistic about the Cowleys, experienced management team who will have an eye for a player. 

I would be concerned we would become a club who are a bit stuck in this league like Portsmouth have been, but a bit of stability wouldn't hurt and we don't have the pull for a big manager anymore so it's either a manager like him or a gamble
  • Dean Smith? Ex Brentford. 
    John Terry as number two at the Valley. No thanks.
  • Valley11 said:
    Dean Smith? Ex Brentford. 
    Players will not be bringing their wives to The Valley.
  • Valley11 said:
    Dean Smith? Ex Brentford. 
    Why not?
  • edited September 2023
    I'd expect Dean Smith wouldn't be willing to drop down to our level. As for JT, the man we love to hate, and rightly so in my book, and disregarding he's an absolute flog, he was an exceptional defender, and would sort out lot out. 
  • CAFCDAZ said:
    Bowyer back in front

If Bows doesn't want to come back (who'd blame him) then either Warburton or Richardson for me. Please not Appleton.....couldn't put up with that pic of him every 5 mins 😠.
    according to SG who i spoke with last week and is obviously close with Bow, he does and is interested, but they have not made any contact. 
    I believe Cawley has contacts with Bowyer, so would probably post the fishing pic if there was any movement in terms of us approaching Bowyer or him putting his hat into the ring. 
  • Uboat said:
    I personally wouldn't want Cowley either but he's managed a lot at this level, he's not some joker like Karel Fraeye, so i don't think there's any chance he wouldn't be taken seriously. 

Especially as about 70% of our squad are U23 and relatively new to senior football.
  • Smith has two PL relegations in his past 2 jobs, although neither were entirely his fault. He'll be wanting a Championship gig 
  • Sponsored links:

• Someone will be appointing Dean Smith in December when they're outside the championship playoffs. Don't think even with the relegations that he'd be dropping to League 1 
  • ozaddick said:
    I'd expect Dean Smith wouldn't be willing to drop down to our level. As for JT, the man we love to hate, and rightly so in my book, and disregarding he's an absolute flog, he was an exceptional defender, and would sort out lot out. 
    and after sorting them out, he might then teach them to defend.
  • edited September 2023
    Scott Parker 😅
    Johnnie Jackson
    Andy Hughes

• Lincoln supporting mate said of the Cowley brothers ‘t’heroes despite being t’teachers before t’transforming Imps’. Were very happy with them despite initial scepticism. Seemed begrudgingly happy for us/me if we land them and thought they were a bit hard done by at Pompey. I would have stuck with Dean, so what the fcuk do I know…? 

• Of all the names that I’ve seen mentioned on this thread, the only two that appeal are medium sliced Warburton and Yes M’Lady Parker. Don’t think we’d get either but my gut feeling is we’re gonna end up with All Saints Appleton - Pray that I’m wrong.  
  • PWADDICK said:

I routinely get interviewed around 5 times by various people in a bank for the role I carry out and that’s before they do the deeper dive background checks and they still get it wrong and employ me…
  • I'm confident Scott isn't going to appoint the Cowley's, unless he's been kicked in the head by a horse. 
  • edited September 2023
    Chunes said:
    I'm confident Scott isn't going to appoint the Cowley's, unless he's been kicked in the head by a horse. 
    Despite their win percentage of 50% (which I read on here)?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!