Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• bromdog said:
    Can’t see it being Nathan Jones but I’d welcome that one. Preferably someone with a CAFC connection. Darren Moore if not. Again I think both of those would look at a Championship gig. Bracing myself for Appleton or Cowley however 

I thought Nathan Jones has a Charlton connection, working with us in 2012. Didn’t he stand in as temporary manager and win 3 out of 3 matches, or am I mixing him up with someone else? Wikipedia has him with us for a year or so before going on to better things.

Wasn't Jones the one to say JOE PIGGOTT was the best natural finisher he'd ever worked with? 🤔
  • Not been monitoring, anyone we know who has definitely been interviewed please? 
    No one other than Chris Powell that we definitely know about.

Powell was spoken to, I'm lead to believe, BEFORE the Oxford game to come in as mentor and then again BEFORE the Oxford game he was offered the manager's role full time.
    And did he definitely turn it down the second time ? 
    As he's not been appointed and the interviews are going ahead I'd say, yes he did.
  • Not been monitoring, anyone we know who has definitely been interviewed please? 
    Challinor, Cowley and Appleton all got mentioned by Cawley - may not have been interviewed (by our choice or theirs) but suggests "serious" interest.

But I believe as already stated Powell is the only confirmed interviewee thus far.
  • edited September 2023
    Has bonner been interviewed? 
  • Unsure I think Bow's would be the right fit, it was really toxic just before he left previously and he hasn't exactly done much since. As others have suggested, I'd really like Mark Bonner. Only a guess but I imagine it'll be the Cowley's or Appleton. If it's Lee Johnson I'll start researching L2 away days...
  • thenewbie said:
    Not been monitoring, anyone we know who has definitely been interviewed please? 
    Challinor, Cowley and Appleton all got mentioned by Cawley - may not have been interviewed (by our choice or theirs) but suggests "serious" interest.

But I believe as already stated Powell is the only confirmed interviewee thus far.

I have read Challinor declined an interview to stay with Stockport.
  • Are people mentioning Bonner because he's actually in contention now or just because he's someone that fits the bill of what we might be looking for? 
  • swordfish said:
    Leuth said:
    swordfish said:
    I'm wonder if Aidy Boothroyd is up for a return to management in this country. Did a great job with the England U21's and isn't exactly tearing up trees at Jamshedpur.
    Dear fuckin christ don't make me post the gif again
    That would be a "no" then I'm guessing. As you were! 😉

Where's the Jim Carey GIF?
  • Sponsored links:

• Unsure I think Bow's would be the right fit, it was really toxic just before he left previously and he hasn't exactly done much since. As others have suggested, I'd really like Mark Bonner. Only a guess but I imagine it'll be the Cowley's or Appleton. If it's Lee Johnson I'll start researching L2 away days...
    Not entirely sure why everyone hates Lee Johnson?

Got Barnsley to Wembley, did well at Bristol City, won the Papa john's with Sunderland and even when they sacked him, they were sat 3rd in the table.

Is he really that bad?
  • thenewbie said:
    Not been monitoring, anyone we know who has definitely been interviewed please? 

He didn’t get as far as being interviewed. If he’d been willing to come as interim manager the next step was a conversation with Methven, but it didn’t get that far because he declined.
    So who made the approach to Powell in that case - Scott or someone else?

I see CM is still more involved that he suggested he would be  :/
  • If Powell was offered the manager's job before the Oxford game, that was a big mistake because Holden was still in charge and Powell would not take a job that wasn't vacant. He is too decent a bloke and that is one of the reasons we love him.

I love the bloke, but an analysis of his time managing us would suggest he is great at bringing in players and when in those players will run through brick walls for the guy. Tactically, he may not stand out so much so to get the best from Powell you need to let him build the squad IMO and it was too late for him to do that so not the best time for him to take charge.
  • edited September 2023
    Unsure I think Bow's would be the right fit, it was really toxic just before he left previously and he hasn't exactly done much since. As others have suggested, I'd really like Mark Bonner. Only a guess but I imagine it'll be the Cowley's or Appleton. If it's Lee Johnson I'll start researching L2 away days...
    Not entirely sure why everyone hates Lee Johnson?

Got Barnsley to Wembley, did well at Bristol City, won the Papa john's with Sunderland and even when they sacked him, they were sat 3rd in the table.

Is he really that bad?
    Won league 1 manager of the month twice and had over a 50% win record as well.

But it's highly unlikely as Rodwell was the one that sacked him.
  • bromdog said:
    Can’t see it being Nathan Jones but I’d welcome that one. Preferably someone with a CAFC connection. Darren Moore if not. Again I think both of those would look at a Championship gig. Bracing myself for Appleton or Cowley however 

I thought Nathan Jones has a Charlton connection, working with us in 2012. Didn’t he stand in as temporary manager and win 3 out of 3 matches, or am I mixing him up with someone else? Wikipedia has him with us for a year or so before going on to better things.
    Maybe Kevin Nugent you're thinking of? Won 2 and drew 1 after Slade was fired into the sun
  • Lee Johnson got sacked after they got thrashed. 
    Fair enough you would think but if they had won that game Sunderland would've been Top of the League.
    Which tells you there were issues other than results on the field.
  • Sponsored links:

• supaclive said:
    Noting what @Airman Brown said - about the next step for Powell would have been to talk to Methven.

Why?
    CM and his apologists keep saying he's got nothing to do with the running of the club
    Another lie

Which we all knew already

To be fair it has also been said that CM is the link between the SMT and the owners so although he might not be involved in the day to day running any big appointment like that would surely have to get his approval. CM would not be doing his job to the owners if not. 

I know I have been interviewed before and then told we like you but just want you in to meet the MD etc.

Agreed, it's Scott who will actually make the decision. CM will effectively rubber stamp it and recommend Scott's person to the owners. 

There would be no point having Scott there (on a decent salary no doubt) to make these key football decisions if you don't let him make the decisions.
  • Lee Johnson got sacked after they got thrashed. 
    Fair enough you would think but if they had won that game Sunderland would've been Top of the League.
    Which tells you there were issues other than results on the field.
    That's why a cursory look at a manager's win percentage record doesn't tell the whole story and why seemingly unsuccessful managers who've been sacked "following a poor set of results" often go on to get appointed to manage elsewhere.

If Scott's making the playing staff decisions as to transfer targets, I don't know why he doesn't want to manage them himself. He's got 317 games worth of experience managing to fall back on so you'd think he might be tempted. Apparently not though.
  • Ok who is going to make the first joke about Bonner...
  • bromdog said:

Wasn't Jones the one to say JOE PIGGOTT was the best natural finisher he'd ever worked with? 🤔
    He probably was, wasn't it his first coaching role working with the U-21s. I'm sure he wouldn't say that now.

Jones will be holding out for a Champo team I'm sure. Used to think he was a great manager until he went to Southampton.

Gravesend Addick won that race at 2.09.👏
  • supaclive said:
    Noting what @Airman Brown said - about the next step for Powell would have been to talk to Methven.

Why?
    CM and his apologists keep saying he's got nothing to do with the running of the club
    Another lie

To be fair it has also been said that CM is the link between the SMT and the owners so although he might not be involved in the day to day running any big appointment like that would surely have to get his approval. CM would not be doing his job to the owners if not. 

I know I have been interviewed before and then told we like you but just want you in to meet the MD etc.

The MD runs the company.....
    If we appoint him he'll stiffen up the defence, help midfielders penetrate the opposition and stop our attackers looking impotent. 
  • supaclive said:
    supaclive said:

Why?
    Another lie

The MD runs the company.....

Ok take that last sentence about my experience out of it then the point stands, but you knew that.

• supaclive said:

Why?
    Another lie

Agreed, it's Scott who will actually make the decision. CM will effectively rubber stamp it and recommend Scott's person to the owners. 

There would be no point having Scott there (on a decent salary no doubt) to make these key football decisions if you don't let him make the decisions.
    You have no idea if that's true yet we've been told Powell had to meet CM if he was interested in the job

Apparently the owners don't worry about our league position but do the manager

It is a clear sign CM is running the show
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!