Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• The next manager will be the one who does as he is told by Scott.

The next manager will need to have a good working relationship with Andy Scott.  

Leam Richardson spent a long time as a number 2 but should be on the shortlist as he had his moments when the main man when calling the shots.

A lot going on at Wigan with their Rollercoaster of money and no money so as usual politics gets in the way of coaching and management.

Leam Richardson: discuss as an option for Cafc.
    @swordfish as you mentioned his name the other day 🤔

I know he was one of the names to look out for two years ago for managers under 45.
    Leam Richardson is now 43. 
    With our record there’s a strong argument for this structure rather than allowing managers full control of signings. Otherwise each manager has the excuse they need to get their own players and the cycle of a big rebuild each summer continues.
  • Andy
    Oh thought you meant someone else...
  • TeeC said:
    Boy does this thread need a rumour 
    Two days ago on another forum someone said they heard it’s between Nathan Jones and Michael Appleton. Source was someone who works for the club.
  • Robinson?
    Robinson Crusoe?

Possibly the only person on the planet who hint heard what a basket-case of a club we've become and probably still remembers us as a big club in the big league.
  • Bowyer , Powell , Appleton in that order for me but would like Pearce to be involved at first team level with all of them. and maybe Steve Brown as a coach - his defensive insights on Charlton TV are spot on and think he would be a great defensive coach. 

Don't want any of those. Mark Bonner pls. Said this before Holden was sacked. Need a fresh approach and has already achieved a promotion in his career.

The next manager will need to have a good working relationship with Andy Scott.  

Leam Richardson spent a long time as a number 2 but should be on the shortlist as he had his moments when the main man when calling the shots.

A lot going on at Wigan with their Rollercoaster of money and no money so as usual politics gets in the way of coaching and management.

Leam Richardson: discuss as an option for Cafc.
    @swordfish as you mentioned his name the other day 🤔

I know he was one of the names to look out for two years ago for managers under 45.
    Leam Richardson is now 43. 
    Certainly served his time as an apprentice under the, seldom mention here, Paul Cook.

Didn't work out for Cook at Ipswich and Richardson got Wigan up. The pair of them I'd take over some of the others allegedly in the frame, but as Cook is currently in work, we'd have to approach Chesterfield, which hasn't been reported anywhere, so seems unlikely to happen.

Richardson on his own I've reservations about, but hard to explain why, just instinct, no credible argument against him.

Tbh, no one on the "likely" list leaps out to me as a stand out candidate, but someone's going to have it all to prove. Whoever it is, I'll wish them good luck.
  • Sponsored links:

• MattF said:
    I like the idea of a group of people waiting nervously in the holding pen to find out which one of them got the job. Like a proper interview normal people tend to experience.
    I get the feeling that in football it’s all nods and winks, cabbages and kings and blind horses.
    You can bet whoever is appointed will be presented as the person we have been after since Port Vale or whenever, when I suspect the reality from the Shamocracy is relief getting somebody, anybody, in.
    I would rather have Jason Pearce than some kind of desperate box being ticked.
  • swordfish said:
    I'm wonder if Aidy Boothroyd is up for a return to management in this country. Did a great job with the England U21's and isn't exactly tearing up trees at Jamshedpur.
    Dear fuckin christ don't make me post the gif again
  • I wonder if Curbs is on the shortlist ?
  • Sponsored links:

• fenaddick said:
    Genuinely amazing that @Henry Irving and Cawley posted that at basically the same time, have they ever been seen in the same room

Many times.
  • Leuth said:
    swordfish said:
    I'm wonder if Aidy Boothroyd is up for a return to management in this country. Did a great job with the England U21's and isn't exactly tearing up trees at Jamshedpur.
    Dear fuckin christ don't make me post the gif again
    That would be a "no" then I'm guessing. As you were! 😉
  • I'd take Richardson definitely or Moore. Unsure if Wilder is on a downswing career wise and perhaps isn't the best move . Think Jones will want a Championship club although he's probably got to rebuild his reputation after Southampton was a disaster. Not a fan of how the Cowley's play football and unconvinced after their Pompey stint that they'd be any kind of improvement. 

As for anyone that's currently at a club I'd be surprised unless we're looking at a U21 coach in the ilk of what Ipswich did with McKenna. 
  • Not been monitoring, anyone we know who has definitely been interviewed please? 
  • Not been monitoring, anyone we know who has definitely been interviewed please? 
    No one other than Chris Powell that we definitely know about.

Powell was spoken to, I'm lead to believe, BEFORE the Oxford game to come in as mentor and then again BEFORE the Oxford game he was offered the manager's role full time.
    And did he definitely turn it down the second time ? 
  • edited September 2023
    bromdog said:
    Can’t see it being Nathan Jones but I’d welcome that one. Preferably someone with a CAFC connection. Darren Moore if not. Again I think both of those would look at a Championship gig. Bracing myself for Appleton or Cowley however 

I thought Nathan Jones has a Charlton connection, working with us in 2012. Didn’t he stand in as temporary manager and win 3 out of 3 matches, or am I mixing him up with someone else? Wikipedia has him with us for a year or so before going on to better things.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!