Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• What formation do the cowleys tend to use ? Any idea ? 
    Not definitive by any stretch but some info.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/danny-cowley/profil/trainer/37278
  • NabySarr said:
    What formation do the cowleys tend to use ? Any idea ? 
    Used 4-4-2 and 3-4-1-2 at Pompey, which I think are both good options with what we have. Lincoln was mostly 4-4-2 and 4-3-3 I believe 

Isted
    Watson Hector Jones Edun 
    Chem Camara Dobson CBT
               Leaburn May

Isted  
         Abankwah Hector Jones 
    Watson                              Edun 
                 Camara Dobson 
                          Chem 
                 Leaburn    May 
    You'd leave Fraser out?
    No but I thought he was out injured for a while. Once he’s back then he might come in for Camara or Chem Campbell in those 2 teams (knowing us at least one of them will be injured so that will make things easier). 

It is difficult to pick an 11 for when everyone is fit, 1 ‘key player’ has to be left out however you do it. 

Isted 
    Watson Hector Jones Edun 
                     Dobson 
          Camara         Fraser 
                      Chem 
             Leaburn   May 

That would probably be what I’d go for so maybe we should be going for Nathan Jones or Lee Bowyer as they’ve both favoured the diamond midfield previously 

• sam3110 said:
    Big nope for Scott Parker for me. Got 2 promotions under his belt, yes, but both with teams vastly superior to the rest in their league, anyone would have got promoted with them really. 

Warburton has done pretty much nothing since his Brentford days, and left there due to a lot of interference with signings and everything from the SMT, so can't see him working with our lot.

Cowley's are a massive meh, I don't think anything they've done is impressive.

Appleton is the same, just a very average manager with experience but not much else going for him.

Richardson is an interesting one, got Wigan promoted amidst their turmoil, and got Pompey promoted as an assistant to Cook before that too (and had followed Cook around mostly before breaking off from him during Wigan's admin woes) 

Moore for me would be the best choice however, provided we give him time. His managerial record is good, but the stories of his man management and focus on the psychological side of the game I feel is where he'll make a difference on our squad
    you have contradicted yourself there. So Scott Parker didn't do anything and it was the players that got Fulham promoted. Okay i can agree with that logic. But by the same logic isn't harsh to judge Appleton and say he is average? Maybe he had average-crap players.
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    No problem with Danny Cowley and Bro.

Charlton Athletic are an established 3rd tier club and many of our fan/critic base still think we are massive. 

Football isn't quantum mechanics when no one's watching you jump divisions.
    Luton, Coventry, Bournemouth, Brighton etc,
    dropped to the depth and it was being realistic that made the journey back up not harping on about past glories.

Tony Bloom is a genius but for most clubs it's trying to get everyone working together despite the boardroom shenanigans.

Hard work, a plan, strategy, good coaching,  rub of the green. So many components need to dovetail for success on the pitch over a long season.

Forget our Premier days (for the moment) as that is history and just deal with the present of having a team/ squad that can elevate up the table in League 1.
    I don't rate Cowley because I think we're massive? Talk about putting words in my mouth!

I'll return the favour, you rate Cowley because you like his little beard

I didn't quote you so what's your problem 🤔
    I will now then 🤷🏻‍♂️
    Your words speak for themselves if you believe saying Scott was kicked in the head by a horse if he appoints the Cowley's is anything other than disengenuos.

I first saw them working Way down the football Pyramid years ago and came across well with their coaching from the touchline.
    It was a metaphorical horse.

If you had said it was Pegasus I would've given you a like 👍instead of an Inniss flying tackle 😱 
  • Confirmed that Lee Bowyer has not applied for the job .. according to RC .

If it was a horse race Scott Parker coming up on the outside … 

As we are using horse analogies or four legged ones is the much criticised Michael Appleton on Blackpool beach giving rides !

I believe we need an all weather horse as it never rains but it pours at Cafc.
  • Cawley again using the term Head Coach rather than manager, seems intentional.
  • Cawley again using the term Head Coach rather than manager, seems intentional.
    Think it just suggests they won't be super involved in transfers which is fine by me
  • edited September 2023
    fenaddick said:
    Cawley again using the term Head Coach rather than manager, seems intentional.
    Think it just suggests they won't be super involved in transfers which is fine by me
    I actually disagree, surely a manager who gets no say in what players are given to him can't be expected to make them all perform.
    There's a difference between "no say" and "super involved", though.

I would expect a coach to be making his colleagues and managers aware of the needs of the team and suggesting preferred targets, but not getting involved in the negotiations or budgeting.
  • Sponsored links:

• It seems to me we are at a pivotal moment akin to when Curbs left.

I just hope that Scott doesn't follow Murray and appoint another "Dowie"  😔
    It has been pretty much all one direction since that moment!
  • Scott will appoint a yes man 
  • fenaddick said:
    I actually disagree, surely a manager who gets no say in what players are given to him can't be expected to make them all perform.
    Modern managers do get a say. They tell the dof/head of recruitment, whatever that title is, what type of player they want and what position and away they go.

recruitment has (so I've been told) been taken off of Jackson which frees up jackson to work on tactics, training etc. makes sense to me
  • It seems to me we are at a pivotal moment akin to when Curbs left.

I just hope that Scott doesn't follow Murray and appoint another "Dowie"  😔
    Or even worse, appoint Dowie!
  • fenaddick said:
    I actually disagree, surely a manager who gets no say in what players are given to him can't be expected to make them all perform

Who ever takes over now has had no say in the squad he will work with that's why I said it will be a hard gig. 

Most head coaches do have some say in a window when a squad or new players come in.

You know Premier managers don't have carte Blanche to get in who want but they will have input and that has trickled down the leagues over time.

No manager has the power of a Ferguson or Wenger did when they spoke directly to players and agents before sending in the admin to do the paperwork.
    I guess even they had to get it endorsed by Martin Edwards at United and David Dein at Arsenal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Whoever gets it has no say in the squad, but they do have the choice of quite a large squad at least, even if lots of that squad are young
  • Croydon said:
    Surely Parker would be the one appointment that wouldn't divide the fanbase, as no one would want him here.
    people remember players differently, i have no doubt that a large percentage of our following would welcome him with open arms.
  • Croydon said:
    Surely Parker would be the one appointment that wouldn't divide the fanbase, as no one would want him here.
    Not true

• Croydon said:
    I'd be delighted with parker, though doubt he'd drop down.
  • I'd rather Josh Parker (and not just because he's banging in the goals for Oxford City). Parker so far has a very meh record as a Manager. 2 promotions but with teams with massive budgets in comparison to the teams they were up against. Also managed to get Fulham relegated twice. Then took over one of the biggest teams in Belgium that had just made it through to the knockout stages of the Champions League but only won 2 of 12 games.
  • Croydon said:

I tend to disagree after the surreal scenes in the away end at Fulham when lots of Chants about "Parker you're a cnut' and yet he was being cheered as well.

One family started slapping each other as the younger members were chanting obscenities and the older members were cheering him. A steward ran up and I said mate they are only arguing about whether to have a Chinese or Indian on the way home.

We have a totally bonkers fan base so anything is possible.
  • Would be happy with Parker
  • I'd have Parker. Yes we were all pissed off when he left and possibly cost us a Champions League place, but he was a young man following the money. Its what most of us would do given the opportunity.
  • Not sure I'd welcome Parker. This is due his complete strop at Bournemouth, more than from his exit at Charlton. He's alienated himself.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!