Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• One of the Swedish Addicks, who is in touch with Pringle nowadays reminded me that Challinor's then manager Carlton Palmer described it as a "horrendous" tackle, and fined him two weeks wages.

"Horrendous" is actually a pretty good word to describe the state we are in. Here's Pringle's Wiki for the benefit of the apparent 80% who have never heard of him. It was actually during the Grimsby loan spell that Challinor did him. Broke his leg in two places. We registered him for the following season but he never fully recovered and retired in November 2002. Here is Challinor's Wiki. A very impressive  long managerial spell at , er, AFC Fylde, cannot be ignored. 

It's almost surreal that we are even talking about this no-mark pub team player/manager. 
    Can we assume you are not keen on him then?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    In regards to us allegedly being turned down I wonder if it's because of what we are offering and if there's an issue with wages and guarantees etc.

With all due respect if you're willing to be interviewed then you're foot is half way out the door from wherever you were/are anyway.

I am personally happy that the Stockport Manager turned us down. All the names that have been mentioned like Appleton, Cowley, Johnson have done better than him and then some.

What now concerns me is why are they saying no? We are offering it on a short term basis, are we offering a low salary, are we saying we don't have money for signings etc.

I don't see it as an insult getting rejected by a manager from a lower league, bigger clubs than us have been rejected by managers, it happens. More so want to know what is being said that is allegedly putting these candidates off 
    But he hasn’t turned it down has he . 
    I don't know, hence why I said allegedly, that's what I've read. I've now read two different managers have turned us down. 

So I'm just asking if that is the case I wonder if it's because we are offering poor wages, a short term contract or lack of control over transfers etc. If of course we have been turned down
    Or the Methven plan when it’s set out in detail is obvious bollocks to anyone in football with half a brain?
    But what's the point?  I don't know about you but I wouldn't mind being a £1 short of Methven.

Scott and Rodwell have quite a good chance of earning an honest wage for an honest day's work.  A decent one at that.

Lenagan isn't on skid row and Warick is a bit of a wild card.

Considering it took them over six months to get the deal done I really can't see what the quick pay day is. TBH I can't even see what the pay day is.
    It’s a free bet for them, though, using other people’s money.

Opportunity cost though?  Are "we" paying Scott more than someone else would?

Don't they only get a serious payout if we get to the premiership?  Or at least established championship.  They can't make " proper" money  by being shit in league 1 can they? 
  • I'd take Cowley over Appleton but getting the feeling it'll be Appleton. It's just all so meh
  • edited August 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    In regards to us allegedly being turned down I wonder if it's because of what we are offering and if there's an issue with wages and guarantees etc.

With all due respect if you're willing to be interviewed then you're foot is half way out the door from wherever you were/are anyway.

I am personally happy that the Stockport Manager turned us down. All the names that have been mentioned like Appleton, Cowley, Johnson have done better than him and then some.

What now concerns me is why are they saying no? We are offering it on a short term basis, are we offering a low salary, are we saying we don't have money for signings etc.

I don't see it as an insult getting rejected by a manager from a lower league, bigger clubs than us have been rejected by managers, it happens. More so want to know what is being said that is allegedly putting these candidates off 
    I don't know, hence why I said allegedly, that's what I've read. I've now read two different managers have turned us down. 

So I'm just asking if that is the case I wonder if it's because we are offering poor wages, a short term contract or lack of control over transfers etc. If of course we have been turned down
    Or the Methven plan when it’s set out in detail is obvious bollocks to anyone in football with half a brain?
    But what's the point?  I don't know about you but I wouldn't mind being a £1 short of Methven.

Scott and Rodwell have quite a good chance of earning an honest wage for an honest day's work.  A decent one at that.

Considering it took them over six months to get the deal done I really can't see what the quick pay day is. TBH I can't even see what the pay day is.
    Cafc43v3r said:

Have they got any money to use though ?  With just 1 more day of the transfer window left they have done very little in the way oc transfer activity. 

I realise you said a few days ago that maybe they told the "big 3" that money wasn't needed to be spent but clearly it does. Are the yanks that far removed from it all that they.....

1)  dont realise we have no manager

2) dont realise that we are 3 or 4 good players short of a decent team, and making us half way to being top 6 needs money being spent. 

With ESI we could all see it for what it was once Nimer went public......but this  ???

I just don't have a clue what the intention is. And the major "players" are proper football people with reputations. Scott & Rodwell sren't mugs. 
  • Sponsored links:

• https://www.skysports.com/football/news/2231886/pringles-double-break
    This seems to muddy the waters a little bit more. Will he or did he fine Challinor!
  • cabbles said:
    cabbles said:
    BigDiddy said:
    Ferryman said:
    Scoham said:

The bloke who nobbled Martin Pringle!
    I would say 80 precent of our fans wouldn’t have a clue who Martin Pringle is?
    Lovely Swedish player - lean and quick.

We has him around 2001 and he was acquired from Benfica.

Those were the days 
    He ran around like Bambi on Ice... Got his autograph in Bexleyheath Shopping Centre (Along with Anthony Barness) prior to us winning the League @ Blackburn.
    I was going to question the Barness autograph, but he was with us until 2000
    I genuinely thought he’d left us by 97 
    No he was at the play off final game in a grey suite,  he was one of the players to jump on top of the players on top off Ilic,  he then turn and cuddled Mark Bowen shouting "f**,king brilliant " while doing so 
  • cabbles said:
    cabbles said:
    BigDiddy said:
    Ferryman said:
    Scoham said:

Those were the days 
    He ran around like Bambi on Ice... Got his autograph in Bexleyheath Shopping Centre (Along with Anthony Barness) prior to us winning the League @ Blackburn.
    I was going to question the Barness autograph, but he was with us until 2000
    I genuinely thought he’d left us by 97 
    No he was at the play off final game in a grey suite,  he was one of the players to jump on top of the players on top off Ilic,  he then turn and cuddled Mark Bowen shouting "f**,king brilliant " while doing so 
    He clearly enjoyed cuddling Mark Bowen a lot.
  • edited September 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
     said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Are we really dismissing a manager on the basis of a tackle he made before half our current squad were born?
    No, I'm dismissing him as he hasn't managed higher than League 2. 

Then again, I suppose he'll be in place for next season when we'll be trying to get OUT of League 2. 
    Who has been promoted from League 1 but never been sacked,  anywhere?

The one that jumped out at me when you said it as if everyone had been sacked on the way up, or sideways ! was Eddie Howe who took Bournemouth from League 2 to the Premier League despite having two seasons away at Burnley where he finished 10th and 13th  (wasn't sacked) before going back to Bournemouth and carrying on their upward journey to the Premier League.

Howe left Bournemouth when he felt he took them as far as he could and needed a new challenge which he later got with the Saudi Arabian team in the North East and again has been successful.
  • edited September 2023
    This is gonna be the worst potential ITK post of all time but fuck it. 

Darren Moore just gave a talk at my job. Whilst saying goodbye to people Moore stated he is staying in London overnight and the host wished him luck for tomorrow.

No idea what he's doing tomorrow but hopefully he's interviewing to be our manager.

Playing football manager isn't a job y'know  ;)

It was for Thomas Driesen.
  • Ferryman said:
    Scoham said:

Cracking goal at Derby, at this level he'd be 20 a season.
  • cafc_se7 said:
    JordanJLD said:
    Ferryman said:
    Scoham said:

I named my gold fish after him at the time, so I’m clearly the 20% 😢
    We had Pringle and Mendonca too! I would switch that and say 80% will know who he is! 
    I remember that like it was yesterday. Challinor can absolutely fuck off. Seriously. 

I suppose the one useful thing he could do is help Miles Leaburn to understand how to avoid being done by thugs like him.

Why don't we go the whole thug thing and get in as his assistant the Bristol Rovers bloke in who did Grant Basey, and Kevin Muscat in as Director of  In-Game GBH. Yeah. People wanted us to "get nasty", so let's not mess around.
    I respect your posts immensely.

I can see where you are coming from, not sure I agree on this one mate though 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Are we really dismissing a manager on the basis of a tackle he made before half our current squad were born?
    I am. If anybody has a problem with that, they can fuck off too. are free to disagree.
    I have.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Opportunity cost though?  Are "we" paying Scott more than someone else would?

Don't they only get a serious payout if we get to the premiership?  Or at least established championship.  They can't make " proper" money  by being shit in league 1 can they? 
    Did any of them leave a job before coming here or were they ‘in between’ jobs .
    Pick up a salary that they weren’t getting from their sofa having sold sand to the Arabs …
    best wait till the end of the window to see where we are at as a squad before judging the new clownership team
  • Sponsored links:

• Leam Richardson or Steve Evans. I know the latter is incredibly unlikeable ~ he gets players fighting for the short and playing decent football. 

The rest of the list is woeful. 
  • Ferryman said:
    Scoham said:

Cracking goal at Derby, at this level he'd be 20 a season.
    I don’t think he would but his pace would be useful - played a big part in our 99/00 promotion side, largely making space for others 
  • Uboat said:
    What happens of no one wants to be our manager? 🙁
    It’s a dirty job but somebody’s got to do it 
  • Come on, Prague. This is an intervention. We can help you get through this together.

• Cafc43v3r said:

Just as Methven did at Sunderland. 
  • BigDiddy said:
    Ferryman said:
    Scoham said:

Those were the days 
    As a birthday treat i was given a day at the training ground. Pringle turned up with cut down denims that he did himself with scissors, had odd socks and odd shoes on. Curbishley and Day just took the piss out of him.
  • mendonca said:
    Wonder if we will sign a player or manager first. Exciting times!
    What about a player manager?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!